Late 2017 Macbook Pro + eGPU (AMD Vega 56) Fusion SUPER SLOW

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jhandel

Late 2017 Macbook Pro + eGPU (AMD Vega 56) Fusion SUPER SLOW

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:44 pm

I am running an i7 with 16gb of ram Macbook Pro 15", SSD Thunderbolt storage, and an Vega56 eGPU.

I have tried all kinds of configurations from OpenCL to Auto to Metal.. To pick any GPU to use Display GPU etc...

I am doing a simple callout and for some reason, even with my Vega 56 GPU pegged (according to gpu activity history) the fusion tab is running at only 3.7 frames/second when I try to play the clip.

I have setup proxies for my media (media isn't even big, its gopro 1440p stuff). Heck even the motion tracking took over 7 hours for a 2500 frames (thats less than 5 frames/second tracking with the Vega pegged the entire time).

I guess I am at a bit of a loss, because this setup is not a slouch (no monster rig but still) and the Fusion tab is so slow as to be border line unusable (ok past border line or I wouldn't post I would live with it)..

I am guessing its not Resolve, its me.. So the ask is, where should I be looking to get Resolve's Fusion tab moving properly.... These are not major tasks that I am asking it to do and it really is unusably slow.

(here is my tiny node program for this callout)
Attachments
3M.jpg
node program
3M.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 894 times

jhandel

Re: Late 2017 Macbook Pro + eGPU (AMD Vega 56) Fusion SUPER

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 pm

To be clear I am running the following software/hardware:
Resolve Studio 15.2.2 (paid version)
OSX: 10.14.2
Processor : 2.9Ghz i7 (Macbook Pro late 2017)

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 3:15 am

While 16 GB is the lower limit to work with Fusion, I suppose Fusion just is slow!

What about editing and grading if you don't touch Fusion? What about tracking in the Color tab?
It should be running smoothly on that hardware.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

jhandel

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 pm

everything else is fine 4k video can be edited fine.. a few crash's but with the eGPU the timeline runs 30FPS no problem..

However, 3 frames/second is un-usable for checking the pacing or timing of callouts and animations.. I can't imagine someone tested this and thought "yah thats good enough", which is why I posted here.. I was hoping someone would have some suggestions on what could cause this kind of performance problem an if there was an easy fix or a "yah always configure this way" kind of situation..

jhandel

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 8:36 pm

It just seems too slow.. Like something is wrong about the install.. How does anyone do any compositing and checking pacing and if something looks good or feels right at 3.8 frames/second. And this isn't complex compositing..

I was hoping there was a known issue with mac's and Fusion or something.. Or at least suggestions on settings... While this is no beast, I did expect it to handle rudimentary compositing...

So anyone have suggestions on what settings to check as to why compositing would be performing so incredibly slow?

Thanks all
Josh

Uli Plank

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Can you give the free version of Fusion 9 a try? The integrated Fusion is still a 'work-in-progress'.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

hartworx

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 4:57 pm

I have a similar problem.
Trying to render something in DaFusion and Playback is 5 seconds / frame on my high end Win10 Machine.

If i run the identical Script in DaFusion on my Late 2011 macbook it renders and 5 to 7 seconds / frame.

There has to be something really buggy in die GPU-Support or driver incompatibilty or something. I Don't know but it does not make any sense.

Free Version by the way.

jhandel

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Looking at some videos on line there was some guidence to use CPU for Fusion processing.. Even a setting for it in older versions of 15.. However those settings are either gone, or not available on the mac..

The settings in the standalone Fusion App

Is there a "Use CPU for Fusion" setting in Resolve that I am just not seeing?

Return to DaVinci Resolve