Looking forward to the new 15.3 dropping this week!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 am

Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Vit Reiter

Re: Looking forward to the new 15.3 dropping this week!

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Fewer unnecessary innovations (timeline animation effect, active selection red line)
but rather without bugs, please! ;)
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Michael McCaffrey

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Fewer unnecessary innovations (timeline animation effect, active selection red line)

Yes!!!
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Jim Simon

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:unnecessary innovations (timeline animation effect, active selection red line

I found both quite useful.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

jgugenheim

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Just being able to start Resolve on my 6c i9 32MB Vega 20 MBP would be a bonus! :?

Here's hoping...
JG

15" Macbook Pro, 2.9GHz 6c i9, 32GB RAM, Vega 20 4GB
Vega 56 8GB in a Core X eGPU cage
Laptop + 2x2k & 1x4k display
iPad + 4k display
Resolve Studio for Mac and iPad + Speed editor
BMPCC4k & BMPCC6k Pro

Michael McCaffrey

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:unnecessary innovations (timeline animation effect, active selection red line

I dont mind the features, but functionality is king. If I wanted lots of features and limited functionality there would have been no reason for me to leave Premiere.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Steve Alexander

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 6:55 pm

How do you know there will be a 15.3 drop this week?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.3.1

Michael McCaffrey

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:How do you know there will be a 15.3 drop this week?

2 years of watching the patterns for updates :)

New version number at NAB. Then small updates every 2-3 weeks, except when there is no small update for 4+ weeks then that means a major interim release is coming, like 15.2 or 15.3. And it has been more than 4 weeks now since the last update. So 15.3 must be on the horizon :)
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael_Andreas

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 pm

xcept when there is no small update for 4+ weeks then that means a major interim release is coming, like 15.2 or 15.3. And it has been more than 4 weeks now since the last update. So 15.3 must be on the horizon

Let's not forget about the holiday period since the 15.2.2 release.

Vit Reiter

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

Hi Jim,
can you tell me what is the benefit of the red line for an active selection?

I say no, because I always know which selection is active. There are only two ways to choise a selection - by clicking a selection or keyboard shortcuts.

The first way is clear. Click to selection and this selection is active. I do not need to see the red line.

In the second case, there are keyboard shortcuts just for the exact selection so again you know what shortcut you used. (Not as in Final Cut Pro 7, where exist the shortcut to browse the selections, so you need to know which selection is currently active.)

Additionally, the red line in Preview and Canvas is completely undesirable. The windows where the image is displayed must be clear in all circumstances. (Which window is active shows the red text of the name, so the information about the active window is duplicated.)

I find only one situation where I do not know which selection is active - when I open a new project. But because I immediately click on a specific selection, I want to work with, I do not need to know.

My wish for Blackmagic: Add a keyboard shortcut to browse the selections.

Craig Marshall

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 11:53 pm

Michael_Andreas wrote:...Let's not forget about the holiday period since the 15.2.2 release.

People sometimes forget BMD is an Australian company and Downunder, it is often very hard to get any sense out of anyone during our hot Summer Holiday period! :D
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 am

Craig Marshall wrote:People sometimes forget BMD is an Australian company and Downunder, it is often very hard to get any sense out of anyone during our hot Summer Holiday period! :D

Though I believe Peter Chamberlain, Rohit Gupta, and most of the programmers work at Blackmagic in Singapore.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Craig Marshall

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 2:21 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Though I believe Peter Chamberlain, Rohit Gupta, and most of the programmers work at Blackmagic in Singapore.
Yes, I think you're right there but I'll bet even those hard working gentlemen are inclined to enjoy a bit of largesse over the Christmas/New Year 'Silly Season'.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Michael McCaffrey

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 4:04 am

Michael_Andreas wrote:
xcept when there is no small update for 4+ weeks then that means a major interim release is coming, like 15.2 or 15.3. And it has been more than 4 weeks now since the last update. So 15.3 must be on the horizon

Let's not forget about the holiday period since the 15.2.2 release.

Yes I thought about that, but its been 32 days since the last release. So... we'll see. I would imagine a 15.3 will be the last large release, and then small dot releases with bug fixes until NAB when they start all over implementing their new GUI interface =) bc, that's what I would do if I were them.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 am

Michael McCaffrey wrote:I would imagine a 15.3 will be the last large release, and then small dot releases with bug fixes until NAB when they start all over implementing their new GUI interface =) bc, that's what I would do if I were them.

Who said anything about a new GUI interface? I think Blackmagic has a lot more on their plate than thinking about a GUI redesign. I also think conjecture about new incremental releases are very speculative at best. I can recall other editing and color-correction programs that went YEARS without an update. Or when they did do updates, they were relatively minor.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Michael McCaffrey

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Michael McCaffrey wrote:I would imagine a 15.3 will be the last large release, and then small dot releases with bug fixes until NAB when they start all over implementing their new GUI interface =) bc, that's what I would do if I were them.

Who said anything about a new GUI interface? I think Blackmagic has a lot more on their plate than thinking about a GUI redesign. I also think conjecture about new incremental releases are very speculative at best. I can recall other editing and color-correction programs that went YEARS without an update. Or when they did do updates, they were relatively minor.

The "fixed" GUI is an antiquated carry-over from over a decade ago. With high-res monitors and widescreen monitors not unable to take advantage of the resolution correctly, we end up with huge controls, and lots of empty space between windows that cannot be utilized. With any project with more than 100 clips on the sequence, zooming in and out of the timeline is clunky and laggy. Switching between sequences is even worse. Takes me 10-15 seconds to switch between one sequence to another with feature length timelines. In Premiere it takes an instant. Zooming in and out of a 90-minute timeline with thousands of cuts is practically butter smooth. This is not at all the case with Resolve. Aside from major bug fixes that need to be done (esp with Fusion caching), the most significant improvement that could be made to Resolve is the GUI. Adding the ability to customize the interface and panel sizing to fit the individual's monitor size and aspect ratio and workspace etc is something that all other NLE's have had for years and years and one major thing that Resolve lacks. So I disagree. I think an update to the GUI is much needed and long overdue -- both in terms of performance and usability.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

studio1492

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 5:21 pm

I consider that whatever it brings the new version, it will be more than welcome, both bug fixes and improvements.

I'm one of the users (and also customer) that I'm waiting to finish several works due to a bug to be fixed (to be specific, the camera stabilization bug already reported to BM) and secondarely waiting many of the improvements we suggested at the "DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list" thread https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71757.

Thanks BM in advance for your kindness and your excellent work! and, let's cross our fingers to welcome the new 15.3 this week.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:can you tell me what is the benefit of the red line for an active selection?

One way in particular is the way timecode entry has changed. Used to be it was hard coded to the + and - keys on the main keyboard, which means I couldn't use those for timeline zoom as I prefer. We had to use a modifier.

With the recent update, now I can use the main + and - keys for zooming, and the numpad + and - keys for timecode entry. Yeah! (Sort of).

The 'sort of' part is that entering timecode via the numpad keys automatically changes the selection from timeline to Program Monitor. I find that frustrating, but without that red line, seeing that selection change would have been mush less obvious.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Additionally, the red line in Preview and Canvas is completely undesirable.

I find it useful, and not in any way problematic.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Vess Stoytchev

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 9:04 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:can you tell me what is the benefit of the red line for an active selection?

One way in particular is the way timecode entry has changed. Used to be it was hard coded to the + and - keys on the main keyboard, which means I couldn't use those for timeline zoom as I prefer. We had to use a modifier.

With the recent update, now I can use the main + and - keys for zooming, and the numpad + and - keys for timecode entry. Yeah! (Sort of).

The 'sort of' part is that entering timecode via the numpad keys automatically changes the selection from timeline to Program Monitor. I find that frustrating, but without that red line, seeing that selection change would have been mush less obvious.

I actually ditched the +/- in favor of alt+scroll and scroll click go navigate. It's great.

Vit Reiter

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

Do you advocate the existence of a red line because of purely personal choices to customize keyboard shortcuts?

If there is no better use of it, it is really useless and it would be better to remove it.
I'm sory but professional application has no place for any element that has no real use.

Peter Cave

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 3:48 am

Vit Reiter wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:

Do you advocate the existence of a red line because of purely personal choices to customize keyboard shortcuts?

If there is no better use of it, it is really useless and it would be better to remove it.
I'm sory but professional application has no place for any element that has no real use.

You may have to tell Adobe that too! Premiere has a similar 'active window' highlight. It's quite common as a visual feedback to ensure you are making inputs in the right area. Does it really bother you? I hardly notice until I need it, and I DO need it!
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mark Sterne

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 5:17 am

I like having an active window indicator but don’t like the red. I think white or a light grey would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vit Reiter

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 11:50 am

Peter Cave wrote:
You may have to tell Adobe that too! Premiere has a similar 'active window' highlight. It's quite common as a visual feedback to ensure you are making inputs in the right area. Does it really bother you? I hardly notice until I need it, and I DO need it!

Why are you comparing DaVinci Resolve with Adobe? I'm focusing on standard NLE like Avid or (still) Final Cut Pro 7. Adobe is a standard for graphics, not for editing video or audio. For DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere is not a good example. (Of course, Adobe Premiere may have good things.)

If you like the red link, it's just your personal preference, but I have not heard any real argument for its existence - we always know which selection is active.

Vit Reiter

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am

Mark Sterne wrote:I like having an active window indicator but don’t like the red. I think white or a light grey would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea. The link color can be optional and one option may be: "No Link".

Daz Wood

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Just popped by to get the new version, it looks like its not going to be this week unless it drops later today.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

RCModelReviews

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 5:38 pm

What are you talking about Daz, mine arrived by SMS this morning :-)
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Sergey Mirontsev

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 8:08 pm

15 Dec 2017 - 14.2
23 Jan 2018 - 14.2.1
Blackmagic Design Certified Master Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.4.0007
Speed Editor 1.4.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H1, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (471.68 Studio)

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Sergey Mirontsev wrote:15 Dec 2017 - 14.2
23 Jan 2018 - 14.2.1

Nice.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Hector Corcin

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Friday is almost over here and still not 15.3 release... Keep refreshing the website.... :D
Rumours tell that we will have Smart Bin presets... and an option to disable autoscrolling timeline to playhead when playing. It's going to be amazing :D

Helge Tjelta

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 am

Remember summer holiday down under. If Resolve team is there, holiday is still on for this whole month...

just sayin'

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Do you advocate the existence of a red line because of purely personal choices to customize keyboard shortcuts?

No. I advocate it because I find it useful. That was just one example.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Mark Sterne wrote:I like having an active window indicator but don’t like the red. I think white or a light grey would be better.

I'm not a fan of red either, as it's used to indicate a segment that needs rendering.

I like Adobe's choice of blue, but that would also conflict with Cache indications.

Perhaps a new color for Cache?

White might also work well for the outline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Adobe is a standard for graphics, not for editing video or audio.

You're a bit out of touch. Adobe Premiere Pro is now the most used professional NLE on the planet. Not so much in Hollywood or broadcast, but that segment is relatively small overall.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:we always know which selection is active.

The outline makes it easier to know. That's the argument.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Vit Reiter

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:Adobe is a standard for graphics, not for editing video or audio.

You're a bit out of touch. Adobe Premiere Pro is now the most used professional NLE on the planet. Not so much in Hollywood or broadcast, but that segment is relatively small overall.

Blackmagic has to consider which segment it wants to target. As a tool for colorists, it has so far focused on professionals.

Vit Reiter

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 11:21 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

As the line jumps from window to window, it is disturbing. Less is sometimes more.

Michael McCaffrey

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 4:16 am

I'm envious of all you guys who think that little red line is the greatest of all your worries. I wish I was there.

Just a few more hours to drop 15.3. *sigh*

Last year we got 14.2.1 on Jan 23rd and 14.3 on Feb 2nd.. but there's really no reason to wait until Feb 2nd for 15.3. I think we're ready for it already :)
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

steve oakley

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 7:21 am

I don't mind the red, its not too bad. its FAR FAR FAR better than the hideous blue adobe has shoved into their UI's despite near unanamous hate of it and they refuse to change it. that one I don't get.

as for UI fixes, if you ever run with main monitor LEFT and second screen RIGHT, the effects / translations window is way way way over to the right. much fun dragging transitions or filters from all the way right, nearly 8000 pixels left to where you need it. FWIW the last release did significantly improve tablet & pen drags of this. nice quite fix I appreciate, but it would be a LOT better if we could drag panels around, or a couple better layout defaults or even just adjust the width of the effects panel because most of it has its text cropped off on a 4K screen :(

S

Vit Reiter wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:

As the line jumps from window to window, it is disturbing. Less is sometimes more.
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Vit Reiter

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 11:24 am

Michael McCaffrey wrote:I'm envious of all you guys who think that little red line is the greatest of all your worries. I wish I was there.

That's right but don't remember on the post at the beginning this thread:

Vit Reiter wrote:Fewer unnecessary innovations (timeline animation effect, active selection red line)

Maybe the red line effect and the magical animation in the Timeline is the first step to another charming innovations - bouncing and smiling icons, changing rainbow colors or the timecode window that will bring a talking hat from Harry Potter.

Understand me well. I like DaVinci and Blackmagic. I own several licenses, hardwares and I work in it every day, and I suffer when I see nonsense like redline and timeline animations, instead of removing dozens of bugs and making useful improvements.

Criticism is not popular, I know, but someone has to say aloud that this is not a good way for a true professional application.

Look at Final Cut Pro 7 and Final Cut Pro X. I do not want DaVinci like "X".

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 11:55 am

Vit Reiter wrote:Maybe the red line effect and the magical animation in the Timeline is the first step to another charming innovations - bouncing and smiling icons, changing rainbow colors or the timecode window that will bring a talking hat from Harry Potter.

Wouldn't it be nice if a charming character with googly eyes popped up every now and then and said something like "Hi! I am Floppy, your new grading assistant! Would you like to do some grading today?"
I do stuff.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Blackmagic has to consider which segment it wants to target.

I think they have been with the new features.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:As the line jumps from window to window, it is disturbing.

I disagree. I find it useful.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:I see nonsense like redline and timeline animations, instead of removing dozens of bugs and making useful improvements.

Your point isn't well made, I think. I find the two listed features useful.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peter Cave

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:I see nonsense like redline and timeline animations, instead of removing dozens of bugs and making useful improvements.

This illustrates exactly why it's impossible to keep all of the people happy all of the time. Those features were USER requests!
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Tom Early

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 12:34 am

Vit Reiter wrote:instead of removing dozens of bugs and making useful improvements.

did you not see the dozens of bugs that were fixed in the release notes of 15.2?? Or the useful improvements? :lol:
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 13.6, Resolve Studio 18.6.4 build 6
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Vit Reiter

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Tom Early wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:instead of removing dozens of bugs and making useful improvements.

did you not see the dozens of bugs that were fixed in the release notes of 15.2?? Or the useful improvements? :lol:

I'm glad that your DaVinci has no bugs because the dozens of bugs were fixed in 15.2. :lol:

Vit Reiter

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Peter Cave wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:

This illustrates exactly why it's impossible to keep all of the people happy all of the time. Those features were USER requests!

No software will ever be tailored to the needs of a single user. At DaVinci, I like a lot of things, and some would like to be different, but it is about Blackmagic avoiding effects that are unreasonable.

Someone wanted an animation of timeline?

Valdo Rochas

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Only I can wish regarding davinci is stability
last version are quite stable , but I'm afraid
there will be introduced tons of new features
and therefore more bugs , it will be good to not
being trapped into that endless bugfix circle

Tom Early

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:
Tom Early wrote:

I'm glad that your DaVinci has no bugs because the dozens of bugs were fixed in 15.2. :lol:

Ah so you admit that there WERE dozens of bug fixes in 15.2, thus rendering your previous statement false, good, glad we got that out of the way. And just to make it clear, I have never said there are no remaining bugs, please stop exaggerating/making things up, it only weakens your position.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 13.6, Resolve Studio 18.6.4 build 6
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve