RAM maxing out and crashing with 15.2.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MrHotter

RAM maxing out and crashing with 15.2.2

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 2:24 am

Hello,

I've been having this issue for a few versions. I'm using user selected proxy files to try to make my timeline playable, but when I get to the edit page, the RAM fills up to about 98% and then the program will become unresponsive while the hardrive is working hard, and then it will eventually crash Resolve.

The Proxy files are being created in the CashClip folder, but the .gallery directory has no files in it. I'm not sure if it is supposed to have files being created when I'm working in the edit page.

I've doubled my RAM and updated my graphics card (in my sig), but it does not seem that this made a difference.

I put the crash dump here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nl6gicmseht7wsv/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20190122-194513.zip?dl=0

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Thank you
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

deezid

Re: RAM maxing out and crashing with 15.2.2

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 3:23 am

I actually created a 48GB swap ramdisk in Linux to combat the high ram usage especially while using Fusion (in 4k) on a NVME drive. It's not bad, but upping my RAM to 64GB would we probably way better since it still slows down quite a lot when it starts swapping.

32GB are definitely not enough sadly (same with After Effects, so it's all good, just need more RAM).
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

MrHotter

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm

deezid wrote:I actually created a 48GB swap ramdisk in Linux to combat the high ram usage especially while using Fusion (in 4k) on a NVME drive. It's not bad, but upping my RAM to 64GB would we probably way better since it still slows down quite a lot when it starts swapping.

32GB are definitely not enough sadly (same with After Effects, so it's all good, just need more RAM).

I'm hoping I don't need to double my ram again. I know people are able to use Resolve on their Laptop with 8 GB ram, so if I'm lucky, there should be a setting I have wrong that is causing issues.

I just opened an old project to see if other projects are having the same issue. The first time I opened it on the edit page my memory filled up and Resolved Crashed. I opened it again and switched to the media page and it did not crash. When all the clip thumbnails loaded my machine was at 88% ram usage. I'm down to 62% RAM usage after letting it sit for about 10 minutes, but I'm not sure what is in the memory right now.

I did look at my .gallery folder for the project I just opened and it just has one file in it. The gallery for this project is in C:\Users\chris\Videos\.gallery\0e3096dd-386b-4aad-98bc-f2382ab715a3 . It has today's date, but the only file in it is the info.txt and it just says:
Database Name: Local Database
User Name: guest
Project Name: Joseph BM Highlights copy
Mac mini
16GB unified memory
various external drives

MrHotter

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 1:57 am

I think I've fixed my issue if anyone else is having problems.

It looks like my Working folders in my Project Settings needed adjusting.

I wanted to move the CacheClip and .gallery to a new drive, but the new path was not saving correctly.

If you are moving your Working Folders, you can do the following:
    Under the 'Davinchi Resolve' pulldown, select 'Prefrences'.
    Go to the 'Media Storage' portion and check the Media Storage Locations. The top one will be where you want your CacheClip and .gallery to be located (There is a note about this under the add/remove buttons).
    If the drive you want to save to is not on the top, then delete the ones above it and then re-add your other media storage locations and they will be below your Cache/Gallery folder on the list.
    Go to the File pulldown and select 'Project Settings'.
    Under Master Settings, scroll down to the 'Working Folders'.
    For Cache Files Location and Gallery Stills Location click the 'Browse' button and select the drive you have as your top drive in your Media Storage Locations in your Preferences. You don't need to create the CacheClip or .gallery folder, they will be created automatically once you select the folder you want them to store your files.

If the save button cannot be clicked, or if the settings are not saved after you close the project settings window and re-open it, then something went wrong.

It would be nice if we got a warning message if our cache/gallery settings are not valid. I'm not sure if this is affecting other users, but if so, I hope the info I provided is correct and useful.

Here are the screenshots of what mine looks like after it is working:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a64qi5pt9mc61 ... s.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/auss6q7cyslnu ... s.jpg?dl=0
Mac mini
16GB unified memory
various external drives

Return to DaVinci Resolve