EVF solutions? Help ...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jeggintonfilms

EVF solutions? Help ...

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 5:41 pm

So, I've been looking at the SmallHD DP4 EVF and have just found out it won't work with the BMCC as the camera doesnt support HDMI out.

I'm confused on what's available to me because after dropping a chunk of change on a new rig, follow focus, matte box etc, I refuse to spend silly money on a monitor just because it has HD-SDI input.

Any help would be appreciated.
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

Mark Wilhelm

Re: EVF solutions? Help ...

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:04 pm

If you don't have the capital to purchase a HD-SDI field monitor like this (http://www.ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=372) for around $900, then perhaps a converter is a better option for you?

For $300 you can get Blackmagic's SDI to HDMI converter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... DI_to.html), but combine that with a SmallHD DP4 for $450 and you're basically in the same spot you were before.

Maybe someone will come out with an affordable monitor with a Thunderbolt connection?

Jeggintonfilms

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Thank you for your suggestions Mark.

I was aware of the BM HD-SDI converter but as you say by the time one has bought an EVF as well, it can all get pretty pricey.

I may hold out and wait to see if any third party manufacturers come up with a cheaper solution.

Cheers.
www.jontyegginton.com

John Brawley

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 5:57 am

Jeggintonfilms wrote:So, I've been looking at the SmallHD DP4 EVF and have just found out it won't work with the BMCC as the camera doesnt support HDMI out.

I'm confused on what's available to me because after dropping a chunk of change on a new rig, follow focus, matte box etc, I refuse to spend silly money on a monitor just because it has HD-SDI input.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you asking for an EVF or an on-board monitor ?

EVF's, there's the Alphatron and the Cineroid plus i think the Kinotech as well.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jason Hinkle

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 8:22 am

It is pricey moving up to SDI gear because it's mainly pro broadcast gear that supports SDI.

If you do want to go the route of a converter, though, I'd highly recommend this one instead:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... ttery.html

This model has in internal battery. The other model has no battery so you need to plug it into a wall socket and it has a small "wall wart" that goes along with it. Not exactly convenient when you're out on a shoot to have your camera tethered to the wall.

Regardless of what model you get, it's also kinda a pain because it doesn't have any mounting accessories or anything. Though it's not that big it still has the cables coming out the sides and just adds an extra bit of mess to your kit. You have to figure out where to mount it, gaff tape onto something or just have it sitting on the floor.

An SDI monitor is a much cleaner solution, but obviously it's a bit of an investment.

Jeggintonfilms

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 9:50 am

John Brawley wrote:Are you asking for an EVF or an on-board monitor ?

EVF's, there's the Alphatron and the Cineroid plus i think the Kinotech as well.

jb

Hey John

What I liked about the Dp4 is that it doubled up as both an EVF and a monitor which I found appealing however now I find it won't work without yet more costly accessories & gadgets.

The Alphatron and Cineroid are both wayyyy out of my price range. Like I said, guess I'll have to wait until a cheaper solution becomes available.

Thanks

Jonty

P.S. And also thank you Jason for your help!
www.jontyegginton.com

Return to Cinematography