DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

deezid

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:20 am

KristijanZic wrote:I have Threadripper and Vega 64. Everything works fine in Resolve Lite except Fusion and DNxHD/HR, H.264 import and DNxHD/HR export. But I understand that half of those problems are fixed by installing Studio version. The Fusion not working is a real issue tho.

Just tried adding some Fusion titles such as 3D title in a box. It takes like 10 seconds to render them on a sequence with noise reduction applied in 4K DCI here.

KristijanZic wrote:1.] I can confirm that DNxHD/HR import/export has been fixed and works perfectly in the Resolve 15.2.3 lite. - Resolve issue with Threadripper, fixed.

That's great!
It was mentioned in the changelog.
Was working fine here using older versions already.

KristijanZic wrote:2.] H.264 import is a Resolve problem, I've been told that's not supported in Resolve Lite for Linux but that it works perfectly on the Studio version on Linux. - Resolve Lite limitation

H.264/H.265 in all different flavors (8 bit, 10 bit, 420, 422 etc.) all work fine here in real time, even 4K60p, 6K etc.

KristijanZic wrote:3.] In the 15.2.3 Resolve doesn't crashes when rendering Fusion titles and effects ever but the preview rendering is painfully slow, like 10-20min per fusion title, some titles don't render at all, those that to have colour artefacts at the start of the title. Those same artefact show up in the rendered video. All in all, Fusion is still not usable for me on Linux but this is an amazing progress! - Resolve bug, since this got better since they fixed DNxHD for AMD Threadripper I assume this could also be a Resolve having issues with Threadripper but it's definitely a Resolve bug, imo drivers for it and Vega are almost perfect.

No flickering, artifacts etc.
Preview done in 10-20 seconds in 4K, even with complex scenes underneath.
Still wondering if it's a hardware-support issue or Ubuntu issue.

KristijanZic wrote:4.] mp3 files are still unsupported on Resolve Lite so converting in wav is needed. - Resolve Lite limitation

It surely is

KristijanZic wrote:If only I knew if Fusion works in Studio version. I'd like to purchase BMPCC4K but I don't wanna invest if the Resolve is flawed on Linux. For now I'm still waiting for them to fix the Lite so I can be sure that It'll work on Studio and then I'm buying it.

Can try to run Resolve Studio on Ubuntu Live USB to see if your problems are UBUNTU related, but I guess it is limited AMD hardware support atm.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

deezid

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:21 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:
is pamac the terminal. I am used to Ubuntu, thats the last linux distro i used. I still use it on a mini HTPC as a media server. Not familiar with pamac.
package manager?

Pamac can be used via command line and has a GUI as well.
For building packages from source I would recommend using the CLI version in a terminal. ;)

About the window manager update.
It includes lot's of patches which will go into the next Gnome version (3.32 in March) as well as some NVIDIA related improvements. Basically everything will be as smooth as in Windows 10.

Hakim Craddock

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:27 am

now i just need a mouse button remapp program and game controller button map program (yup i use a game controller to edit).

Now i have to figure out why i cant record audio in fairlight with my blue snowball mic.

KristijanZic

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:36 am

deezid wrote:H.264/H.265 in all different flavors (8 bit, 10 bit, 420, 422 etc.) all work fine here in real time, even 4K60p, 6K etc.

H.264/H.265 working fine for you on Resolve Lite on Linux?
I think the dev said earlier in this thread somewhere that Lite for Linux doesn't have the support for H.264/H.265, only Studio.

What's your hardware?
I guess that Resolve is having problems with Threadripper but I'm just guessing, idk how to test for it.
Kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 8- (16) @ 3.800GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid
Memory: 15930MiB

deezid

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:38 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:now i just need a mouse button remapp program and game controller button map program (yup i use a game controller to edit).

Now i have to figure out why i cant record audio in fairlight with my blue snowball mic.

Can't really help you with these.
There are command line tools and GUI tools as well.
I would recommend using a different input driver (evdev) for input devices which on my computer made scrolling basically perfect in browsers as well as in Gimp and Resolve (timeline)
In terminal:
sudo ln -s /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
and reboot.

It may even help with your other input devices.

Did the window manager update help with smoothness for you as well?
What's your audio interface?
Last edited by deezid on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

deezid

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:38 am

KristijanZic wrote:
deezid wrote:H.264/H.265 in all different flavors (8 bit, 10 bit, 420, 422 etc.) all work fine here in real time, even 4K60p, 6K etc.

H.264/H.265 working fine for you on Resolve Lite on Linux?
I think the dev said earlier in this thread somewhere that Lite for Linux doesn't have the support for H.264/H.265, only Studio.

What's your hardware?
I guess that Resolve is having problems with Threadripper but I'm just guessing, idk how to test for it.

Using Resolve Studio.
Intel 8700K
NVIDIA 1080 Ti
Manjaro Gnome

Hakim Craddock

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:41 am

deezid wrote:
Hakim Craddock wrote:now i just need a mouse button remapp program and game controller button map program (yup i use a game controller to edit).

I would recommend using a different input driver (evdev) for input devices which on my computer made scrolling basically perfect in browsers as well as in Gimp and Resolve (timeline)
In terminal:
sudo ln -s /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
and reboot.

ALSA is whats being used for audio.

KristijanZic

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:43 am

deezid wrote:Can try to run Resolve Studio on Ubuntu Live USB to see if your problems are UBUNTU related, but I guess it is limited AMD hardware support atm.

Just to add to the info, I've tested it on Windows and everything works fine except generally worse performance compared to running on Ubuntu if we ignore the bugs that I get.
Kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 8- (16) @ 3.800GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid
Memory: 15930MiB

deezid

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:48 am

KristijanZic wrote:
deezid wrote:Can try to run Resolve Studio on Ubuntu Live USB to see if your problems are UBUNTU related, but I guess it is limited AMD hardware support atm.

Just to add to the info, I've tested it on Windows and everything works fine except generally worse performance compared to running on Ubuntu if we ignore the bugs that I get.

Seems like Resolve had some (and still has) issues using AMD hardware in Linux then.
Performance here is superior in (Manjaro) Linux than it was in Windows.

Biggest difference I saw was rendering a whole feature film project I'm working on (4K, 95 minutes, ACES 1.1, editing, grading, neat video, lot's of Fusion compositions etc) which takes 21 hours on Windows 10 and only 16 hours on Manjaro lol

Sometimes it even crashes in Windows 10 whenever it decides to run out of GPU memory again despite having a 1080Ti with 11GB of Vram :roll:
I was basically forced to make this project render properly again and since I switched to Linux I haven't been looking back (yet)

deezid

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:51 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:
deezid wrote:

In terminal:
and reboot.

ALSA is whats being used for audio.

Try a program like Audacity to see if it recognizes your Microphone.

Hakim Craddock

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:05 am

Audacity will record from my microphone. The settings menu in majaro shows my mic, and shows that it works. Strange.

deezid

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:08 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:Audacity will record from my microphone. The settings menu in majaro shows my mic, and shows that it works. Strange.

Than it's probably because of audio limitations inside the linux version of Linux. Didn't see an option to enable other audio inputs. Maybe there's an option inside the fairlight tab. But not sure tbh.

Take a look at this

This may help with your issue.
Also let me know about the performance using the window manager (mutter-workaround). Am in contact with some developers at Gnome.

Hakim Craddock

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:36 am

i have not tested it long enough to come to a conclusion on mutter workaround. i installed that workaround before doing any editing. But it seems to be pretty smooth so far.

Cant find any options for my mic using manjaro. ill figure it out somehow.

deezid

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:40 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:i have not tested it long enough to come to a conclusion on mutter workaround. i installed that workaround before doing any editing. But it seems to be pretty smooth so far.

This window manager update basically made Gnome the fastest desktop experience for me using Linux (can even play 8K 30p in a browser without any stutter), before the update it was the slowest lol. :D

Hopefully you can find a fix for your issue.
Did you try the Evdev driver as well (which may help with extra buttons on your input devices as well).

Hakim Craddock

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 am

deezid wrote:
Hakim Craddock wrote:i have not tested it long enough to come to a conclusion on mutter workaround. i installed that workaround before doing any editing. But it seems to be pretty smooth so far.

This window manager update basically made Gnome the fastest desktop experience for me using Linux (can even play 8K 30p in a browser without any stutter), before the update it was the slowest lol. :D

Hopefully you can find a fix for your issue.
Did you try the Evdev driver as well (which may help with extra buttons on your input devices as well).

evdev did not help. Thank you though.

Hakim Craddock

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am

MagnusL3D wrote:Can't record audio through my mic on linux.. but other software is no problem...known issue ? any work arounds ?

Did you ever find the solution to this? I have the same issue.

deezid

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Hakim Craddock wrote:
MagnusL3D wrote:Can't record audio through my mic on linux.. but other software is no problem...known issue ? any work arounds ?

Did you ever find the solution to this? I have the same issue.

Sounds like a Resolve on Linux limitation then.
Wonder how to file a bug report then...

Maybe open a regular thread inside this forum then.

Lucius Snow

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Seth Goldin wrote:
Lucius Snow wrote:So if I find the "special" dongle separately, it may me possible?

EDIT : It seems to be the "orange dongle"

Yes, supposedly these sometimes go on sale on eBay, but it’s not clear to me why these would ever become available separately from the Advanced Control Panels. Hard to envision a situation in which someone with an Advanced Control Panel doesn’t want the Studio version anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The advanced panel is also provided with the green USB dongle which works for Mac and Windows. So they won't need the orange one anymore if they don't use Linux. But I can't find that one anywhere. That seems pretty rare on eBay. I wish Blackmagic sell it separately.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 pm

New Advanced Panel sets come with a dongle labeled "Advanced Panel" and a License Activation card for other system types.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Lucius Snow

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 8:40 pm

So there's no way to get ProRes export from Linux without purchasing the advanced panel?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 9:51 pm

That is correct.
Dwaine Maggart

Hakim Craddock

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 1:14 am

fiddlyness! Back to windows i go... I was really enjoying Manjaro, its pretty slick. But i do lots of voice overs on my videos. Ill check back in a few months hopefully the Team at Black Magic will have that issue resolved. See what i did there. lol.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 1:27 am

If ProRes render is what's sending you back to Windows, you can't render ProRes on Windows at all with Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart

Hakim Craddock

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 3:02 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If ProRes render is what's sending you back to Windows, you can't render ProRes on Windows at all with Resolve.

No its not the prores thing. Its that i cant get my Blue snowball mic to work with resolve. It works with other software in Manjaro but not resolve. ALSA is listed as the input to patch to the out put in fairlight, but it does not record anything. Is this a Linux resolve issue or something with my settings or driver thats missing?

deezid

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 10:05 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:fiddlyness! Back to windows i go... I was really enjoying Manjaro, its pretty slick. But i do lots of voice overs on my videos. Ill check back in a few months hopefully the Team at Black Magic will have that issue resolved. See what i did there. lol.

Oh sorry to hear that. Probably a bug inside the Linux version since the microphone itself works fine in other applications.

jwamshop

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 5:51 pm

I have the same issue with Blue Snowball. Two selectable ALSA-devices, but I have no idea what they are. Is there a way I can get more debug-info?

deezid

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:34 pm

jwamshop wrote:I have the same issue with Blue Snowball. Two selectable ALSA-devices, but I have no idea what they are. Is there a way I can get more debug-info?

Which distro do you use?
In KDE or Gnome you can select a different audio input device system-wide. Does it help?

jwamshop

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 10:22 pm

deezid wrote:
jwamshop wrote:I have the same issue with Blue Snowball. Two selectable ALSA-devices, but I have no idea what they are. Is there a way I can get more debug-info?

Which distro do you use?
In KDE or Gnome you can select a different audio input device system-wide. Does it help?

Debian.
I have set the Snowball as the default input device.

deezid

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 pm

jwamshop wrote:
deezid wrote:

Which distro do you use?

Debian.
I have set the Snowball as the default input device.

Thanks.
So it's the Linux version of Davinci Resolve which has this limitation/bug.

Adderbox76

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 9:24 pm

In my limited understanding, I believe that most Linux distros use Alsa only on the backend. Actual device detection and management is done via Pulseaudio, which then communicates with Alsa.

Since Resolve is trying to deal directly with Alsa and skip Pulseaudio completely, it's not reading the device properly.

Though...take that with a grain of salt, since my Linux Audio knowledge is rudimentary at best, especially in terms of the rather hacked together relationship between Alsa, Jack, and Pulseaudio.

jwamshop

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 12:03 pm

It would be great to know what exactly is supposed to woek so that one might be able to make it work (instead of waiting for BMD to fix the actual issue).
I haven't found anything in the logs that would help me yet.
I did however get Fusion to work last night with the help of the logs, which is great (crashed whenever any effect was applied).

Are there any devs here that may give an insight to the audio input in Linux?
Last edited by jwamshop on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hakim Craddock

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 11:29 pm

jwamshop wrote:It would be great to know what exactly is supposed to woek so that one might be able to make it work (instead of wsiting gor BMD to fix the actual issue).
I did however get Fusion to work last night with the help of the logs, which is great (crashed whenever any effect was applied).

That would be awesome.

deezid

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 1:17 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:
jwamshop wrote:It would be great to know what exactly is supposed to woek so that one might be able to make it work (instead of wsiting gor BMD to fix the actual issue).

That would be awesome.

Try installing gnome-alsamixer.
It has many options which may affect Davinci Resolve as well (which is using Alsa)

jwamshop

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:06 am

deezid wrote:
Hakim Craddock wrote:

That would be awesome.

Try installing gnome-alsamixer.
It has many options which may affect Davinci Resolve as well (which is using Alsa)

Already have that. But the problem is likely pulseaudio, and I'll try to bypass it tonight if time allows. Still, feedback from the devs would be great to avoid shooting in the dark.

amdavid

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi Guys,
I can install Resolve 15 on Centos and with some stretch, I can install it on Debian, Ubuntu & Linux mint (okay, all are Debian). But I am having a strange issue when I try to export a 20 seconds video (for testing purpose). It takes ages to export, I never succeed on Linux version - I can't wait more than a day for 20sec test video.
All Linux flavours are exhibiting the same behaviour. The same action on Windows 10 (same hardware) takes less than a min.

I used ffmpeg to convert my mp4 videos to mov on Linux but on windows, that manual conversion is not required.
What am I am missing, why my export on Linux takes forever?

I have Nvidia GTX card (not the fastest but it should be okay for basic need). I have replaced the Nvidia driver on Centos, Debian, Mint & Ubuntu - without success.

I am an Adobe user but I wanted to move away from Windows and Adobe.

Many Thanks
Anton

deezid

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 6:26 pm

amdavid wrote:Hi Guys,
I can install Resolve 15 on Centos and with some stretch, I can install it on Debian, Ubuntu & Linux mint (okay, all are Debian). But I am having a strange issue when I try to export a 20 seconds video (for testing purpose). It takes ages to export, I never succeed on Linux version - I can't wait more than a day for 20sec test video.
All Linux flavours are exhibiting the same behaviour. The same action on Windows 10 (same hardware) takes less than a min.

I used ffmpeg to convert my mp4 videos to mov on Linux but on windows, that manual conversion is not required.
What am I am missing, why my export on Linux takes forever?

I have Nvidia GTX card (not the fastest but it should be okay for basic need). I have replaced the Nvidia driver on Centos, Debian, Mint & Ubuntu - without success.

I am an Adobe user but I wanted to move away from Windows and Adobe.

Many Thanks
Anton

Do you use the free version?
This version is pretty limited in terms of codec support and acceleration - and even more so on Linux.
Using the Studio version here on Manjaro Linux Gnome and render speeds are actually faster than they have been on Windows.

Nvidia 1080 Ti
Intel 8700K

amdavid

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Dennis,
But I think I am missing something. I can understand free version can be slow but not this slow. I am talking about 20 secs video with no modifications, status says it will take more than a day to export.

Cheers

Dieter Scheel

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:08 pm

amdavid wrote:Thanks for the reply Dennis,
But I think I am missing something. I can understand free version can be slow but not this slow. I am talking about 20 secs video with no modifications, status says it will take more than a day to export.

We are unable to answer, we can only guess because you did not provide any information about your system or videos. What CPU, GPU, CPU memory, GPU memory? What kind of video? Codec? Resolution?

Hardware encoding is only available with the Studio version if I remember correctly. Also h.264 is not supported in the free version - see also the many threads across the forum.

My advice is - get the Studio version and try again. You will then get all the bells and whistles including extended codec support and many functions not available in the free version. But - the codec support in Linux is different (worse) than with the Windows version. It doesn't bother me much because I mostly use Prores, DnxHD and h.264 for my work.
Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 32 GB | i7 | RTX2070 8 GB (535.161.07) | 2 TB SSD | 48 TB NAS
Lenovo Legion | Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 16 GB | i5 | GTX1650 4 GB (535.161.07) | 1.25 TB SSD

Hakim Craddock

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Dieter Scheel wrote:
amdavid wrote:Thanks for the reply Dennis,

We are unable to answer, we can only guess because you did not provide any information about your system or videos. What CPU, GPU, CPU memory, GPU memory? What kind of video? Codec? Resolution?

Hardware encoding is only available with the Studio version if I remember correctly. Also h.264 is not supported in the free version - see also the many threads across the forum.

My advice is - get the Studio version and try again. You will then get all the bells and whistles including extended codec support and many functions not available in the free version. But - the codec support in Linux is different (worse) than with the Windows version. It doesn't bother me much because I mostly use Prores, DnxHD and h.264 for my work.

How are you using Prores on Linux? I will eventually buy the studio version, but for now the free version on Windows atleast suits my needs.. Really disappointed that i cant do voice overs on linux. I try every few months to pull myself away from Windows. But there is always something. I actually did it for a few years, but i wasnt editing video so all was good. Anyway i am rambling.. Prores on linux how are you doing that?

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Advanced Panel dongle for native export or FFMPEG for your CLI.

But I think he means he imports Prores to Linux Resolve, which does work well.

Hakim Craddock wrote:for now the free version on Windows atleast suits my needs.. Really disappointed that i cant do voice overs on linux.

If you have both OS' on the same system (dualboot), you can connect the two Resolves and only use Windows when you must (compatibility, etc). You can do all the rest on a Linux, as dualboot Resolves can have mutual databases.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

deezid

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 6:59 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote:... as dualboot Resolves can have mutual databases.

oh, had no idea. That works?
Even with different media file paths?

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 7:05 pm

Yes.

Resolve Studio uses mapped mounts (same file paths as seen by a different OS) to allow multi-platform access to the network databases. These can be used on a dualboot as well, and yes, they do work with the free version.

What's needed is a media location both OS' can access. A Linux can read and write onto a Windows (NTFS) drive. If you share the Media Storage thusly, you can generate optimized media on Win and switch over to Linux, bypassing any import restrictions therein :)
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

pakovia

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 11:07 am

Sulo Kokki wrote:
pakovia wrote:"DaVinci Resolve could not find any OpenCL capable GPUs.

GPU: AMD TAHITI Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X

Your GPU should Resolve 15 documentation says the minimum is OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 3.0.

Check that your graphics drivers are up to date.

how can i check it, or how can i install new driver? everytime when i did that i ended with black screen

Dieter Scheel

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Hakim Craddock wrote:How are you using Prores on Linux?

Sorry for delayed answer - I import ProRes which has been transcoded with ffmpeg from various material. So ProRes is my standard Intermediate codec, besides DnxHD.

Then I just export to my delivery codec like h.264.

If Resolve doesn't have the neccessary codec - ffmpeg has :: ;)
Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 32 GB | i7 | RTX2070 8 GB (535.161.07) | 2 TB SSD | 48 TB NAS
Lenovo Legion | Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 16 GB | i5 | GTX1650 4 GB (535.161.07) | 1.25 TB SSD

Hakim Craddock

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 12:40 am

Dieter Scheel wrote:
Hakim Craddock wrote:How are you using Prores on Linux?

Sorry for delayed answer - I import ProRes which has been transcoded with ffmpeg from various material. So ProRes is my standard Intermediate codec, besides DnxHD.

Then I just export to my delivery codec like h.264.

If Resolve doesn't have the neccessary codec - ffmpeg has :: ;)

ffmpeg does not have a GUI does it. Not comfortable trans coding using a terminal.

manjaroMan

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 9:59 am

Dieter Scheel wrote:
manjaroMan wrote:Having trouble launching on Manjaro with RX480 GPU

Which driver did you install for the AMD card? I am not sure about AMD (I'd never use AMD for Resolve) but you may need the proprietary driver - instead of CUDA you only have OpenCL with AMD hardware, maybe this is missing.

Maybe a good idea would be to cleanly re-install Resolve after you solved the GPU driver issues. Any other software which gives error messages?

I used the opensource driver (mesa), and it works for monero mining on the GPU and passthrough graphics to libvirtd vm machine and playing games.

How can I see it its detecting or not detecting GPU, in past versions or installs I could see the config/setup screen even when the main program wouldn't launch?

Dieter Scheel

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 11:17 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:
Dieter Scheel wrote:ffmpeg does not have a GUI does it. Not comfortable trans coding using a terminal.

There are a lot of GUIs for ffmpeg to choose from.

I use my own scripts integrated into my file manager, so I can right-click and transcode with the comfort of just a mouse click. I actually build my complete workflow with scripts - downloading from the camera to transcoding and editing with Resolve is all done with a bit of script work which I have developed over the years.

Hakim Craddock

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Dieter Scheel wrote:
Hakim Craddock wrote:
Dieter Scheel wrote:ffmpeg does not have a GUI does it. Not comfortable trans coding using a terminal.

There are a lot of GUIs for ffmpeg to choose from.

I use my own scripts integrated into my file manager, so I can right-click and transcode with the comfort of just a mouse click. I actually build my complete workflow with scripts - downloading from the camera to transcoding and editing with Resolve is all done with a bit of script work which I have developed over the years.

That sounds awesome. Do you know of any GUi's i can install for Manjaro to use ffmpeg?

bmpccdp27

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 1:06 am

Anyway to get Resolve to work with Mesa Drivers?

Resolve runs great on Fedora 29 with Nvidia Proprietary, but I'm going to keep digging for away to get AMD graphics working because I want to use AMD and Mesa Drivers.

I have a 2700 and Vega 56 Laptop coming in, if I can just figure out a way to run Davinci Resolve in Fedora 29, I'm home free from Microsoft and Nvidia.

Any chance Resolve will support Mesa Drivers?

Unfortunately I've never really had any luck with AMD Proprietary on rx 570 or R9 390.

Ideally Blackmagic would just support Mesa Drivers with the next update.

This cite claims you can get Proprietary Opencl working on Fedora 29

blog.thefinalzone.net/2018/11/using-amd-rx-vega-driver-opencl-on.html

but I couldn't figure out how to get any of this installed

amdgpu-dkms
dkms
libopencl-amdgpu-pro
opencl-amdgpu-pro-icd

anybody know how to install these rpms in fedora 29 and can you explain in detail?

Thanks

Dieter Scheel

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 am

Hakim Craddock wrote:That sounds awesome. Do you know of any GUi's i can install for Manjaro to use ffmpeg?

I don't know about Manjaro, but you could try QWinFF, WinFF, Handbrake or FFmpegYAG to name a few. But you might be able to use a Google search. Or you use a script for Nautilus/Nemo - I use the latter because my DE is Cinnamon.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve