Fan Noise with 1.3 Update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jason Dunphy

Fan Noise with 1.3 Update

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 3:30 am

Does anyone notice the fan getting louder after updating to the 1.3 firmware?

I updated because I heard good news about the DC offset and it seemed like my fan was louder. My screen flickered after the update, as was expected, and went away after a few minutes.

Maybe I'm just paranoid my camera will have something wrong with it because it's been good so far.

Chris Hocking

Re: Fan Noise with 1.3 Update

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 5:45 am

I haven't noticed any increased fan noise since updating. I'll keep and ear out though!

Aaron Scheiner

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 3:44 pm

The fan seems to be running faster on mine... this is probably a good thing (more cooling, less grain?).

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Aaron Scheiner wrote:The fan seems to be running faster on mine... this is probably a good thing (more cooling, less grain?).

I listened to the interview part one posted by Rick Young in which Grant Petty made a quick reference to engineering and software constantly making the cameras better via frequent updates of the camera firmware. I think they tweak things that are not posted as the documented changes implemented by a firmware update, much like Apple will put in a catch phrase referring to correction of bugs etc. Not documenting all changes makes it a bit mysterious though. Gives the forum detectives something to uncover.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

sean mclennan

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Personally...having worked in software development for some time...I'm against that policy. Any changes you make to the camera NEED to be documented. What if you're used to your camera behaving a certain way, audio levels, etc. You setup for a shoot with what you KNOW and something is off.

YES. You should be checking everything manually before any shoot, especially after a firmware update, but still. Non-documented changes are not cool.

*EDIT - however, no, I did not notice a change in fan noise after I updated to 1.3

Aaron Scheiner

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 8:33 pm

I think it's fairly normal for small changes to make their way into a project without reflecting in the change log... I've gotten carried away before.

It'd be quite funny, though if the fan speed change was purely in our collective imagination.

I'll check a camera running 1.2 against a camera running 1.3 and see if there is in fact a difference...

-edit- I hate to say it, but when I put two cameras beside one another, one running 1.2 and one running 1.3... I can't hear a difference in the fan speed...

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Personally...having worked in software development for some time...I'm against that policy. Any changes you make to the camera NEED to be documented.

I completely agree with you and hopefully BMD will note the users' concerns about undocumented changes which obviously can have production repercussions. It is impossible for a user to test every function just to see what has changed or not!

I didn't mean to make light of it but point out that Grant seems pleased to make frequent changes whenever they think they have found an improvement. Just list the changes, please.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Jason Dunphy

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks guys, I was just wondering. It's not a big deal.

I did, however notice this today,

Dirty holes 2.jpg
Dirty holes 2.jpg (484.12 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

Dirty Holes 1.jpg
Dirty Holes 1.jpg (473.18 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

I believe I heard someone else on the forum months ago have this problem. I've just sent a support ticket, but was wondering if you guys knew anything. I'll continue searching for that topic.

Chris Hocking

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 12:35 am

Aaron Scheiner wrote:I think it's fairly normal for small changes to make their way into a project without reflecting in the change log... I've gotten carried away before.

Changing the whole audio side of things without saying anything can hardly be considered a "small change".

At least write "various bug fixes" in the release notes so that we at least know there are SOME changes.

Thomas Schumacher

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 1:45 am

Jason Dunphy wrote:Thanks guys, I was just wondering. It's not a big deal.

I believe I heard someone else on the forum months ago have this problem. I've just sent a support ticket, but was wondering if you guys knew anything. I'll continue searching for that topic.

Nothing to worry about. Just some remnants of the production process you could clean with some
effort. Search the forum, some staff member (Liam?) explained it.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Jason Dunphy

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 4:34 am

Awesome, thanks. I'll keep looking but it's good to hear it's nothing.

Christine Peterson

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Jason Dunphy wrote:Thanks guys, I was just wondering. It's not a big deal.

Here's the answer from the camera's product manager. Nothing to worry about!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6296&start=20#p39762
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Jason Dunphy

PostWed May 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Awesome, Thanks Christine. You are the coolest

Return to Cinematography