BMPCC4K start shipping

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Mine is shipping and should arrive tomorrow.

Justin Jackson

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 am

So the easyrig setup.. it only helps with distributing the weight, right? You still need a gimbal of some sort for the camera for the whole shabang to work correctly, right?

I need to get my redking steadicam figured out. Havent even taking it out of its case yet.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Jaroslaw Frybes

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 am

I'm happy with all those getting their BMPCC4K after month or two and I still hope that Blackmagic will increase amount of cameras sent to Poland to cyfrowarepublika.pl coz they still have huge line of preorders waiting. With current amount of cameras i will have to wait for my october preorder for at least next 5 months.
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2,3 GHz 8 core Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4,
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB + Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
UltraStudio Mini Monitor + BENQ PD2700U

Swissified

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 8:18 am

Jaroslaw Frybes wrote:I'm happy with all those getting their BMPCC4K after month or two and I still hope that Blackmagic will increase amount of cameras sent to Poland to cyfrowarepublika.pl coz they still have huge line of preorders waiting. With current amount of cameras i will have to wait for my october preorder for at least next 5 months.

Me too in Switzerland long wait with my dealer Light & Byte, and made even worse by the announcements in BMD news of V6.2 for the 4K Pocket and RAW recording, no more DNG. Having RAW recording in smaller files is a BIG PLUS POINT. I look forward even more to the arrival of my new camera. Patience is a virtue!

Another dealer says the queue is 14....... and you have to commit to buying when you pre-order.
Last edited by Swissified on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vermot

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:23 am

Just got it this morning !! As if the shipping wasn't long enough, the pick up point I chose in september closed just the day before my camera would have been delivered... The transporter didn't know where to deliver so I waited one more week but finally look at this beauty

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:31 am

What's that 15mm rod adapter on the bottom?

Colourberry

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:31 am

I hate you too

Also I have the same cage but mine has a window right in the middle I can put my arm through.

Have you noticed hot the T5 holder is positioned right above the cold shoe mount position so that becomes unusable with the SSD in place. And they made the screws only work in that position.

I'm going to re drill and tap mine so I can put it anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

vermot

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:47 am

Sean van Berlo wrote:What's that 15mm rod adapter on the bottom?

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-basep ... -1674.html

It is in promo right now

vermot

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:50 am

Colourberry wrote:I hate you too

Also I have the same cage but mine has a window right in the middle I can put my arm through.

Have you noticed hot the T5 holder is positioned right above the cold shoe mount position so that becomes unusable with the SSD in place. And they made the screws only work in that position.

I'm going to re drill and tap mine so I can put it anywhere.

oh yeah just checked that and didn't even notice before...
hope it does not handicap me much in the future or I'll go for your option and redrill :lol:

Will Vazquez

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:53 am

vermot wrote:Just got it this morning !! As if the shipping wasn't long enough, the pick up point I chose in september closed just the day before my camera would have been delivered... The transporter didn't know where to deliver so I waited one more week but finally look at this beauty

Looks awesome! What is the plate between the cage and the rod adapter?

Thanks!

vermot

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:23 am

Will Vazquez wrote:
vermot wrote:Just got it this morning !! As if the shipping wasn't long enough, the pick up point I chose in september closed just the day before my camera would have been delivered... The transporter didn't know where to deliver so I waited one more week but finally look at this beauty

Looks awesome! What is the plate between the cage and the rod adapter?

Thanks!

This one https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-mount ... -1598.html

I added it because my camera was not totally alligned with my mattebox even at the lowest position.
Now it fits perfectly

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Odd Small Rig doesn’t specify the thickness of the plate. Everyone with a standard rig needs to have the distance of the optical centre and the centre of the rails to be the standard distance. I think that distance is supposed to be 85mm centre to centre. With the plate and the rod support, does that seem to be 85mm?

I hope that’s the correct spec, going from memory years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rrrbbb

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 pm

It has arrived! It is a thing of true beauty. Not as plasticy and cheap as some are saying. Screen is fantastic and nicely weighty in a cage. Button layout is soooo good.

The stills button is a little tricky to push as not as responsive as other buttons and I need to learn how to deal with noisy shadows...

Hope everyone gets theirs soon.

(also using with Voltrox which seems fine with my F4 L lenses).

Wayne Steven

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 4:24 am

They should be practicing quality control. So it would be expected to improve compared to samples 3-4 months ago.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Kai von Ahlefeld

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 6:19 am

I actually just got a notice that the camera is on its way to Vizcom the shop I bought it from... not sure if me complaining here helped, but apparently its shipping just ca. 2 month too late for what I had planned with it and since I would need at least two more and already got it all in A7sII's I doubt I will ever get my small BM live edit kit together... but its coming... well next week and I have my next shoot on Saturday... so can't even test it on there.. will let you know if I find time to test it...

Cheers,

Kai
uberraum
Kai v. Ahlefeld
Paris · France

Wayne Steven

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 8:13 am

Maybe I should ring the local agent to see if he has one in stock to buy tomorrow. :)

Don't worry, I would have done that if I was sure it was the camera to buy, as a joke (still want to see if he does though). Because I have heard of a guy out in the sticks who sells them, and those sorts of guys might possibly not have the turnover and have a spare they know somebody will turn up for. That's the sort of thing you do. I think the last small dealer years ago, actually talked me out of buying the original pocket or BMCC.

BTW: The quickest way to buy one of these cameras, is to wait (until everybody else has finished waiting or one is on hand :D ).
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

seanwes

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 4:26 pm

B&H Shipments seem to be picking up!

I ordered two (2) BMPCC4K on October 30, 2018 and they shipped December 14, 2018 (45 days).

On December 16, 2018 when the first two cameras arrived, I was so happy with them, I ordered a third.

That third BMPCC4K I ordered on December 16, 2018 finally shipped today, March 8, 2019 (82 days).

It's a great camera and well worth the wait.

Swissified

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 6:45 pm

I have bought this to keep me amused and learning whilst I wait to arrival of my Pocket 4K.

Caleb Pike
$79.95
Blackmagic Pocket 4K Video Guide
https://academy.dslrvideoshooter.com/courses/blackmagic-pocket-4k-video-guide

Caleb is good he has a very clear video/audio setup and I like the style of the videos. I can learn about the beast before it's arrival.
Last edited by Swissified on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianwahl

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Another B&H update...

Ordered Dec. 18 and it shipped today.
Brian Wahl
Worship Tutorials
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/worshiptutorials/

John Brawley

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 7:16 pm

You guys ! You’re messing up the story...

No shipping till April remember ! BMD are upgrading all the internal parts and can’t get any cameras out till April !

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Swissified

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Here in Switzerland at least with my dealer it is end June scheduled! That's long enough for me to 'learn' about the beast before it arrives. However I have to stop reading these threads of people ordering 3 months ago and having theirs delivered. I guess Switzerland isn't a big enough market! Although ringing around 3 dealers, there are 34 others having to wait until June........ if things are actually delivered to that schedule which I doubt.

aglyons

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:I was looking at the Moza Air 2 also, but then DJI dropped the price of the Ronin S and I figured they're pretty similar. Don't know a whole lot about the Zhiyun Crane 3 lab one, or the Moza Air X, although I'd prefer to purchase before the end of the year.

Having used the Ronin-S and returning it for Moza Air2, I would nudge to the Moza. I do like DJI but the Ronin just wouldn't do what I wanted (fly my D810 w 24-70, just could not balance it at all, nor could the store). The Moza, not a problem. That being said, the P4K is a magnitude lighter which means you can build a good rig of extras and fly it all.

The other selling point, to me, was the battery situation. The Ronin batteries are the handle which means proprietary. The Moza batteries are 18650's. Pretty common and pretty cheap unlike the ROnin batteries, they are not cheap (in comparison).

Moza Air-X is a magnitude more $$$$. It can fly an Arri which would be overkill x10 for a P4K.

Just thought I'd mention those points.

mastix

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 9:36 pm

Good to hear that people are receiving their cameras. I just ordered one just few days ago and as I guess I will need to wait quite a few months to get one in my hands. I am in Spain and it seems that in Europe things are moving a bit slower.
Windows 10 64 bits
Davinci Resolve 18.1.4 Studio
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 4:22 am

John Brawley wrote:You guys ! You’re messing up the story...

No shipping till April remember ! BMD are upgrading all the internal parts and can’t get any cameras out till April !

JB

Is John indicating a new camera? :)

Colourberry

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 5:05 am

JB
Tell us who said no shipping until April?

Some of us said we were told our orders would be April but who said no deliveries till April??

John Brawley

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 5:29 am

Colourberry wrote:

JB

Tell us who said no shipping until April?

You did !!!

...over and over again...Let's review...

Colourberry wrote:There are way too many reporting the same thing at the same time and oooohh suddenly everything everywhere April is the answer........

Colourberry wrote:We here have been told April supply should flow again. Yesterday we heard late March.

Colourberry wrote:The other day they told me its now going to be April.

Colourberry wrote:I emailed them last week and they suddenly said APRIL... I was in Bangkok last week and enquired there too and they said they expect APRIL.

So what's with April??

Colourberry wrote:Plus the other reports of the same thing here it's not a rumour.

Repeating myself now but the rate that Dragon image were receiving the camera they expected it mine to arrive early Jan and and then suddenly they said April. They had been told April.

EVERYWHERE has been told April.

And Bangkok said April too.

So if there was no stoppage why does everywhere report April now? What's magical about April

I'm over it.

Except mate it WAS A RUMOUR.

When you post like this YOU MADE YOUR RUMOUR....

You kept on repeating this April myth despite the product manager clarifying early on.

You kept saying something was up.

I'm just using your own words to show you were wrong, even when others told you were wrong.

This is what happens when you perpetuate and create a myth....that supply had stopped, that maybe something was wrong, that no one was getting any cameras to April...you said that to the many many people that were reading this thread.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Colourberry

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 6:15 am

I partially wrote that to see what kind on person you were if you went back through all that and quote it back to be and you actually did except you only quote me and not the others that also were told April.

What's really sad is that if you read what I wrote I said that we were told April for our orders. I never said it 100% stopped. You act like we weren't told the same thing. Like we individually came up with the same story direct from our dealers.

You keep trolling this thread for some reason when I'm sure you were given your camera for free long ago just so you could shoot some test footage for BM. If all it takes is to shoot footage like that to get an early camera then there are a lot of people that should have received there's long ago.

BMD Web Engineering

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 6:31 am

Please keep it civil and respectful or this thread will have to be locked.

Colourberry

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 6:46 am

Someone keeps starting it and it's not me but I'm done.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 7:37 am

Wow!

Anyway, I was told the back order was up to like April, last year. That doesn't mean new cameras won't ship, just newer orders at that time. Plus, somebody confirmed there was a break over the Christmas January etc period, and production has started again (maybe John). So all cool, except if you ordered in late December to wait till April or something :(

I suspect while people are waiting I will be readying to order a smaller camera, maybe a new Micro, after NAB.

Chris Whitten

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 8:02 am

No one has confirmed that. Again, it's a rumour. Someone from BMD mentioned factories have holidays, component deliveries slow down from time to time.
The message from BMD and John Brawley (actually) has been consistent. But the people who want to believe rumours just aren't listening.
I waited 9 months for my Pocket 4K, nearly 3 months from when they first started shipping.
Chris Whitten

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:19 am

I think it might have been John. But, yes, annual holidays in some sectors is after the Christmas manufacturing rush. If you haven't enough reserves to get through until supplies come through, you will have to go slow or stop. As they got a lot more orders than planned, I suspect some of that was in play as well as making arrangements to make more cameras. My point, it doesn't matter. And people may have misunderstood what the "rumour" meant. I was told was told the backlog was into something like April, no rumour, fair enough. I immediately waited for NAB. If I ordered the day after BAB opens, its probably wouldn't make too much of a difference from ordering after Christmas, due to the backlog. I suspect the backlog will be a lot shorter by then, and the camera will be rbrn more reliable. Still, looking forwards to what NAB brings, as we are coming into the sweat spot.

Chris Whitten

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:25 am

Wayne Steven wrote:and the camera will be rbrn more reliable.

And you're still posting unfounded conjecture.
The camera is the camera is the camera.
Not a single person other than forum members here have suggested the build, components or QC will have changed since Christmas, or last September. No one has yet proved there are any inherent issues, other than the odd battery door failure and an issue with some cheaper batteries getting stuck.
Chris Whitten

Daniel Batinic

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 12:19 pm

Got mine 2 weeks ago (Switzerland), ordered in October.

Easily balanced on ronin-s with Voigtländer and Panasonic 12-35 and 35-10mm lenses, with ronin focus motor + samsung t5.

Have to test it more with Voigtländer 10.5mm, 17.5mm, 25mm and 42.5mm lenses but pretty happy with this little beast so far. :D
Broadcast Video Engineer
Colorist

romariorus

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 3:55 pm

mastix wrote:Good to hear that people are receiving their cameras. I just ordered one just few days ago and as I guess I will need to wait quite a few months to get one in my hands. I am in Spain and it seems that in Europe things are moving a bit slower.

I'm from Spain too. I have ordered in France and Germany, but UK is good option. In Spain is very slow, slower than another EU countries. I have canceled my order in Spain months ago, because in 3 months waitlist is without moving. FotoK from BCN.
But unfortunately when I placed orders in other shops, the delivers in EU is very down or completelly stoped. Now I still waiting from late November (FR, DE)

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Chris Whitten wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:and the camera will be rbrn more reliable.

And you're still posting unfounded conjecture.
The camera is the camera is the camera.
Not a single person other than forum members here have suggested the build, components or QC will have changed since Christmas, or last September. No one has yet proved there are any inherent issues, other than the odd battery door failure and an issue with some cheaper batteries getting stuck.

Thank you for proving it right Chris. It's normal for manufacturers to refine stuff over production runs. So, we live in hope. People have been complaining as usual, and you have given some examples. So, yes, it should be at least as good or better. It is actually something you hear here in the past about early adopters.

Jim Giberti

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Please, this is a great informative site - not a rumour mill.

Swissified

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:Please, this is a great informative site - not a rumour mill.

Yes rumour mills can be found elsewhere.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 4:41 am

Jim Giberti wrote:Please, this is a great informative site - not a rumour mill.

Are we reading this same site? A lot of replies I get are "rumours". Talk about overreaction, as usual, in the thread. Yes, I think the 4k April thing is wrong depending on what you think it means. That while it's possible things could get jazzed up, I think delays are more the normal post season slow down. When we had Commodore computer distribution here decades ago, they would basically take something like 6 weeks off after Christmas or so.

I think give the guy some slack at least, and see things could be different until proven over wise.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 4:50 am

You know, I could hardly believe the paranoia of doctors about telling patients things and them deludedly reacting, because its not my a+bxc=(a+b)c experience. But its true, some people just go nuts. So ts worth being open to possibilities not in our experience.

Actually, just to show you how nuts things get. There was a bank robber (in the States) who covered his face with lemon juice in the belief it would make him invisible, because lemon juice could be used as invisible ink. It pays to not just believe what you think or heard. These sorts of things spread through society to people apparently rational due to limited self rationalisation, where in reality, the more you know in general the more you realise you don't know everything. I know one guy gobbing up heaps of conspiracy theories, and another guy who nationally distributes more tame conspiracy stuff. They are often deterministic people, who respond to deterministic/assertive thought, so rationalise on deterministic/assertive thought, having discriminatory hierarchical preference systems for who they listen to rather than what kind of rationalisation they listen to. Very creepy, but very documentary worthy. Their power preference leads them to preference authority and their own authority rather than preferencing primary figuring out (hence, based on what they believe they mis-figure out things). In reality, even some things are often a real rabbit warren of complexity in understanding it). That if you really know what you are doing you use a lot of if, but, maybe, could be etc, conditional language, none deterministic non assertive, because you know things are more complex and you are only illustrating a slice of a perspective on it. Short replies are often nothing much and or mistaken. So, conditional explanation drives hardline deterministic fanatics around the bend reading it because its an actual explanation rather than a convenient naive assertion. When such people are in control the nation shrinks at the same time as believing they are powerful. An example of a powerful leader who is considered, would be Putin. He probably has conditional advisors. This is not to say that is the case for others there.

Robert Niessner

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 10:51 am

Colourberry wrote:I partially wrote that to see what kind on person you were if you went back through all that and quote it back to be and you actually did except you only quote me and not the others that also were told April.

First you demand proof for who said April, now you attack John for digging through your posts and proving you wrote April by citation? Isn't that a bit comical?

Colourberry wrote:What's really sad is that if you read what I wrote I said that we were told April for our orders. I never said it 100% stopped. You act like we weren't told the same thing. Like we individually came up with the same story direct from our dealers.

You and others were relying on what dealers told you. John Brawley (with a lot of insight into how BMD works) and others and even BMD officials told you, that dealers won't have a clue what is going on, regardless of what they pretend to have. You choose to believe the dealers - which I understand because everyone is always trying to find reasons when things won't go the way as expected.

Colourberry wrote:You keep trolling this thread for some reason when I'm sure you were given your camera for free long ago just so you could shoot some test footage for BM. If all it takes is to shoot footage like that to get an early camera then there are a lot of people that should have received there's long ago.

I don't know why you are writing such an attack on John. He is one of the most generous, friendly and supporting top cinematographers we have here on the forum. What you wrote is quite rude and you really should reflect about what you said.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Swissified

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 10:54 am

Well said Robert.

Chris Whitten

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 10:55 am

Yup.
Chris Whitten

Colourberry

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Thank you for reposting my comments. I dont want to keep making my points for risk of being banned or coming across as a dick like someone who keeps bringing up april for some reason.

You cant think for yourself that its interesting that in PARALLEL multiple customers reported from their respective dealers around the world who were told by their distributors in their regions the same thing. And muppets want to act like its a conspiracy when nobody in that short chain had any reason to alter what was said from BM-Distributor-Dealer?

As for a "nice guy" go and read what he wrote on the full frame thread. Not so nice.

Robert Niessner

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Colourberry wrote:Thank you for reposting my comments. I dont want to keep making my points for risk of being banned or coming across as a dick like someone who keeps bringing up april for some reason.

Nobody gets banned for being civil in a discussion...

Colourberry wrote:You cant think for yourself that its interesting that in PARALLEL multiple customers reported from their respective dealers around the world who were told by their distributors in their regions the same thing. And muppets want to act like its a conspiracy when nobody in that short chain had any reason to alter what was said from BM-Distributor-Dealer?

Why do you think there was something said from the distributor to the dealer?
My dealer is on the official list of BMD but when I asked for information about non-deliveries he said he has no idea what is going on and he also said that he got no further information from the European distributor. So either he was lying to me about not knowing or some of the other dealers were making stuff up to calm down clients...

Colourberry wrote:As for a "nice guy" go and read what he wrote on the full frame thread. Not so nice.

I have read what he wrote and I found nothing not so nice in there. Not even a bit.
Somehow I got the impression you can dish it out, but you can't take it.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

michaeldhead

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Ditto on Well Said, Robert.

And this [ a+bxc=(a+b)c ] is not correct math.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Jim Giberti

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Colourberry wrote: And muppets want to act like its a conspiracy...

I like Muppets quite a lot and I'm sure they would want nothing to do with this nonsense.

Colourberry

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 pm

I apologise to muppets. That was uncalled for and inaccurate. A better use could have been noobs or fanboys.

To Robert you honestly think dealers somehow came up with the same line individually? Wow what are the chances of that happening? Some of us just repeated here what we were told by our dealers. Thats it. Nothing bad was said by our dealers, nothing negative. So why the issue?

Colourberry

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 12:36 am

Back onto the purpose of this thread 30 min ago I had a call from Dragon Image saying my P4K had arrived so yay.

Except I'm out of the country for 2 weeks so less yay.

That order was placed in October and its mid March... I didnt make the same mistake with the G2 and ordered that right away.

And for the record I didnt knock John's P4K footage I simply said it was average. I didn't say it was bad. And that was after being provoked. Average is the norm/middle of the road/regular.

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 12:57 am

Good news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography