Atem Visca camera control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Xtreemtec

Atem Visca camera control

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Okee, so i have an application were i need to run 3 Visca cameras on my Atem and it just won´t get it to work.. :roll:

For the answer how to get your Visca cameras connected see this post!! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61265&p=352368#p352368 ;)

Note: I have never seen anyone report that they got the Visca up and running on the Atem while this feature is in there for a good 2 years now!! :(

But for this function to work you need the official 1/2M/E hardware panel to get it to function. This is function is not available in the software :|

What it does (or not does) You connect the camera to the Atem on the 422 port. (in my case for testing i use a Sony D70 at the moment. But i have BRC300 and other HD Visca cameras in my Rental so i could get them too for testing. Anyway for testing purposes this model does fine.)
I wired the camera up with a Salea logic analyser to the Atem. Making sure i follow the connections like they say in the manual.
After setting the Baudrate and connecting it all up. Pushing "Detect" will send out an Address Set message on the 422 bus. ( 0x88 0x30 0x01 0xFF ) Which is in HEX and exactly what we needed on the Visca bus. :)

The camera reacts with sending the Adres back + 1 ( 0x88 0x30 0x02 0xFF ) (Exactrly as the VISCA protocol descibes it!! ** This is for other cameras on the line that are daisy chained to get an address and do +1 until the last camera has his address. The loop back will ensure that last address is send back to the controller (Atem) and he will know that and how many cameras are connected! The last message -1 will be the total amount of cameras connected.. But in this setup it is just 1 camera.

Unfortunatly the Atem keeps reporting there are "0 VISCA devices connected" So it seems that the Atem does not see the message that the camera send out, or does not handle this like it should be!!
Atem Visca data capture.png
Atem Visca data capture.png (122.46 KiB) Viewed 71343 times

And yes i crossed the return wires to the atem a few times to make sure they did not ran inverted..
I made 1 mistake by turning the wires on my logic analyser.. So it turned up right in the software.. But whoops the connection to the atem did not turn with that :lol:

Later this week i will make a capture of the visca camera and Sony visca remote to show what it should look like.

So yes i got it to work after some wire twists.. I will make a piece of documentation on how to wire exactly from pin to pin from the atem to the camera's upcoming week.!! For futher reference to anybody that wants to use this function in the future.. ;)
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: Atem Visca camera control

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 8:12 am

now, could they implement other ethernet based protocols ?

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 10:08 am

Well what i really want to see is that they add the Visca protocol to their SDI protocol.. So that the PTZ function of those micro studio cameras can be activated finally.. ;)

Also it would be nice if you could link the PTZ cameras to the shading panel.. Most VISCA compatible cameras have a RED / Blue color balance, Shutter, gain and iris settings.. This is all supported by the VISCA protocol so that would be nice if you could "shade" those domes from the panel.. ;) ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Peter Bouthoorn

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Are you still planning on posting the wiring schematic. Would be interesting to know how this works.

Last year I had to connect some cheap chinese PTZ controller to our Sony SRG-300SE's and the only way I could get this to work was by reversing the polarity of the wires (TX+ on the controller goes to TX- on the camera etc.). Weird huh?

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Yes i will do this.. But i want to test it with some other cams too.. ( i bring my other Visca cams with me on sunday to test again. ) ;)

About the TX reverse.. Yes some cameras have this issue.. Especially the chinese / taiwainese no name brand stuff..

And 422 like sony has implemented is already so sweat with there 422 Loop trough to the next camera.. :roll:

Many ways to get it a twist or something wrong hahaha..

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks Daniel for this information. I have verified the VISCA protocol works on all supported ATEMS, but I do understand why people have problems since the wiring is different with every camera. I have an RS-232 VISCA camera and I was able to wire using available off the shelf adapters to make it work. I have some very old RS-232 to RS-422 adapters that work just fine, however, some newer ones do not because the 9 pin wiring is not the "Sony" standard. So some adapters may require conversion. I am confident that if wired correctly (and the camera documentation is correct), this should work. But I do understand it can be a bit of a science experiment. Also note the ATEM RS-422 is a DCE or Receiving Device which under certain circumstances may require a Null Modem to connect.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Here is a little test video.. Will post the details on sunday.

Color correction and shutter, gain iris control would be really nice if that could be implemented from the Shading panel.. Also set and call presets would be nice if not a requirement for PTZ cameras.. The commands in Visca are simple.. ;)

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Oke here is a test of 3 HD Lumens PTZ camera's. Running on Visca from the Atem Panel.

I have been Busy last week But Will post the wiring schematic this week. Found Some mislabeling which has to Be corrected. (Also thanks Gary ;) )

MambaFiber.com

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 7:29 pm

so are your cameras connected to the serial port on the ATEM? or are you getting the VISCA off of the SDI PGM/AUX output somehow? what model is your Lumens camera?
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Ian Morrish

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:29 am

I was trying to use a Lumens VC-A202P over the weekend but no Iris control was unworkable. I have Pelco control from PowerShell but this mode doesn't seem to support presets in the Lumens camera for position (maybe for all cameras using Pelco, don't know for sure). VISCA seems to be very similar protocol so I'll find some code to add that to PowerShell so I can control cameras from Midi device.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 6:16 am

@Greg. This is Indeed from the rs422 port on the back of the atem.. set to Visca and crossed Some wires because of a pinout error in the manual. (Which Will Be fixed soon)
I really wish i did this from the Sdi return control protocol. But that is not implemented by BMD.

I must say that i did something like Visca control over sdi with the sdi shield. But the decoder Side was my own fiber to data controller (which is still in Development) which i did a proof of concept that Visca and tally / shading and Visca could Go together on the sdi return feed.

I use the Lumens VC-G50 models. 3G sdi 20x zoom.

@Ian. Always Go for the Visca protocol. The Pelco protocol have a lot of issues like pulling the menu functions, or do Aux commands.
Also if you use Pelco or Visca. Always Be site you have put the function you want to control in "Manual" mode.. if it is on an auto iris, or shutter priority or whatever. You wont have control over it. The same applies to the whitebalans. (Whitebalans you might need to do a firmware update to unlock manual whitebalans) i had to do with my G50's.. But now i'm that far that i can shade my domes from another controller.
Hopefully if the Visca protocol gets into the sdi return feed you Will Be able to control the Visca cams from the shading panel of the atem.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:05 am

Oke here it is.

To note!! You need a 1ME or 2ME broadcast panel with your atem to get this functionality!! This function is not controllable from the software panel.

There is / was a pinout fault in the Atem manual (up to manual 7.1.1)(Thank you Gary Adams for confirming this pinout fault!) how to connect the Visca to the Atem Remote port.
In this document i corrected that and made a connection schematic so you know how to wire it your Visca cameras. I kept the BRC-300 connection in there as a reference.

Be sure to set up your visca camera the right way. (RS422 - Matching Baudrates) Atem does support 9600 or 38400 Baud.
See page 91 and 92 of the Atem manual (7.1.1) to see how the whole Visca Control is setup from the Broadcast panel.

Extra note! Always check the numbers on the connector for Visca. Sony has 2 models of PTZ cameras that have a different pinout. (1-9 from left to right or right to left.. ) But the numbers still represent the RX and TX like they should. Only the connector is reversed..

If you have any additional quastions or suggestions i like to see them in this topic.!! ;)
Attachments
Atem Visca Setup.png
Atem Visca Setup
Atem Visca Setup.png (262.37 KiB) Viewed 70758 times

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am

I have been testing this pinout on these cameras:
Sony D70
Sony BRC300
Lumens VG50

(Lumens is a Brand that also does a lot of OEM cameras.. Marshall, Some Datavideo, Newtek NDI)
As you can see in the below picture these are some of the OEM models i could find.. These are all produced by the Lumens cooporation.
In the picture you do see a few different models..
So the pinout should also work for these brands / models..

I would like to hear from someone that has PTZOptics to see if it also matches for those Visca compatible cameras.. ;)
Attachments
Lumens Cameras.png
Lumens Cameras.png (273.41 KiB) Viewed 70756 times

James Muscat

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Great detective work!

Any chance of a Wireshark capture showing the traffic between the panel and the ATEM? It'd be great to be able to add the relevant bits of the protocol to whatever's already out there...

Michael Heath

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:46 am

James Muscat wrote:Great detective work!

Any chance of a Wireshark capture showing the traffic between the panel and the ATEM? It'd be great to be able to add the relevant bits of the protocol to whatever's already out there...

I just wanted to second this request, if you're able. I'm starting work on a converter box to allow the ATEM to talk to our other devices by translating from VISCA. I've been diving into VISCA references, but quite frankly it is a mess.... it would be super helpful to see a capture of a sequence like this:
DETECT
CAM1
PAN LEFT
TILT UP
ZOOM IN
CAM2
PAN LEFT

treymeares

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 1:15 am

Hey James,

Have you had any advancements on this translator? Or does anyone know if a commercial one exists already?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 4:01 pm

I have a product like that on my Development list.

But kind reminder. You can only control pan tilt and zoom. No focus, no shutter, no iris, no color balans. So the funtions are very very limited..

treymeares

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 10:07 pm

When do you think you will have that product? Can I get one from you?

stanmadsen

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 6:18 pm

I was having so much trouble until I noticed pin 2 and 7 are reversed in the manual. for those other users out there. Note this! For black magic, this would be a great picture in place in the ATEM manual for a visual picture. Thanks!
Attachments
Atem%20Visca%20Setup.png
Atem%20Visca%20Setup.png (262.37 KiB) Viewed 69495 times

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 4:57 pm

The manual will be corrected in the next update.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 9:29 am

Great to hear that Gary that it will be fixed in the next manual. :D

Since this topic i had a few guys contacting me about this. As it seems that the TVS HD Pro has the Visca PTZ control not enabled or it at least they did not get it to work. And were not able to get the PTZ cameras up and running.

I don't own a TVS HD PRO myself so i can not test this at the moment. But i will be going to 1 user here in the Netherlands soon to check out his setup and try to help understand what is going wrong.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 10:59 am

So on PTZOptics livestream they tested a TVS HD Pro with Visca and could not get it to work.
I'm not sure if they have twisted the wires.

But they have the same trouble going on. The scan function does not seem to work. or at least does not display anything that it is searching for cameras. While the 1ME panel does do that. ;)

Håvard Njåstad

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Well what i really want to see is that they add the Visca protocol to their SDI protocol.. So that the PTZ function of those micro studio cameras can be activated finally.. ;)

New Features for Micro Studio Camera 4K
Added support for PTZ communication on Expansion port via VISCA. Refer to the user manual for protocol details.
Added support for PTZ commands in the Blackmagic SDI Control Protocol.

Ask and thou shalt receive!

Is there any way to trigger the PTZ controls without having the Broadcast Panels or the ATEM TVS Pro?

There must be some ethernet protocol, but I can't see it in the SDK...

Cheers!

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Yes great development!! :D

But it can not be operated yet from the Atem. It is now in the SDI protocol. But the atem does not support this yet. But i guess we will see some progress in that too in the near future.

Officially you need to buy a Control panel to do the Visca control.. But these controls only exit on the 422 DB9 on the back of the atem at this moment.

With the TVS HD Pro you have the trackball and i guess that they are working on this right now to implement Visca trough SDI on the TVS HD Pro for release. And maybe the older atems will get this update in the future.

Meanwhile you can embed PTZ info by an Arduino shield. So i think it won't be long before there hits a PTZ controller on the market with SDI output.

Maybe BMD will even come with a Control panel or maybe in the future even with a 4K PTZ dome camera :idea: :idea: HINT HINT :lol:

But for now it is great that we have the VIsca control into the SDI protocol.

I would have liked that they included the Zoom and Focus info also to the Visca output.. For analog B4 lenses.
Also it would be great to have more then the 6 presets. While most Sony camera's do support 6 Visca Presets. You can go up to 100 presets. But 16 would have been nice and easy to implement.

Guess i still have some things to wish for :D :D 12G micro studio cam HINT HINT :P

Håvard Njåstad

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 pm

So in theory, the DB9 on the back on my atem will be sending the same VISCA that's coming out from my micro camera with a future ATEM patch.

Has no one has been able to reverse-engineer the ptz joystick commands from the broadcast panel yet? Dissapointing :D

Weston Woodbury

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 7:39 am

Xtreemtec wrote:So on PTZOptics livestream they tested a TVS HD Pro with Visca and could not get it to work.
I'm not sure if they have twisted the wires.

But they have the same trouble going on. The scan function does not seem to work. or at least does not display anything that it is searching for cameras. While the 1ME panel does do that. ;)

Hey all,

I tried to get PTZOptics' Broadcaster units working VISCA via the ATEM Broadcast Studio 2 M/E today. It does not seem to find them either through the original wiring (from the current manual) nor with the two wires swapped that Daniel discovered and documented in this thread.

When it wired the original way the manual currently diagrams, the receiver light on the PTZOptics Broadcaster flickers on briefly when you press "scan" on the Atem controller. It almost seems like it's working.. something is clearly being sent over to it, responding to the search command... but the device never comes up, it just says 'no cameras found'. When it's wired the way that Daniel diagramed it above, the receiver light stays solid green. Baud is set to 9600 as the Broadcaster unit prescribes.

The units work fine with the same cable hooked RS422 to their provided huddlecam joystick controller.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Xtreemtec

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 8:25 am

What unit adress is it configured for? Auto adres or fixed?

It might that you have to rewire the whole thing as between Sony and other brands there are Some varitions in wiring.

Even Having the +\- from the return Channel crossed over Will render the unit useless.

Try to Find somebody with a osciloscope. And start measuring. I Will edit this post later today with an image how the data should look like.

Weston Woodbury

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 9:03 am

Cool, thanks for the help Daniel!

This is the only "address" I know of that's set-able, I set it to "1" and "2" on our 2 units; both working as expected from the huddlecam joystick responding as Cam 1 or Cam 2 commands are executed.
https://help.ptzoptics.com/helpdesk/att ... 3003074843

Is that the address you mean, or something else?

Yeah, I was thinking of setting up a temporary way to patch the wires around, so I can quickly try variations, and see if I can figure it out. That's how I got the huddle joystick working.. it turned out the manual I got had + and - / "a" and "b" mixed up.

More than willing to try to pursue the osciloscope thing, definitely post more info for me on how to go about doing that. Cheers! :geek: :geek:

IgnacioCelma

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi all, here´s my experience with PTZ Optics cameras and RS232 VISCA protocol. I have achieved control using a regular RS232 to RS422 converter, in my case an old Datamate DM7015 model.
The problem is that you have to remember, as someone pointed before, that ATEM 422 pinout is the controlled device type, so you have to use a null modem cable between the camera cable and the 232 to 422 converter.
The cabling i used is the following:
- PTZ Optics MiniDin8 to DB9 female proprietary cable connected to the "IN" 232 port.
- Null modem cable between that cable and the converter. Pinout is: pin 5 to 5 (GND), pins 2 and 3 crossed (RX-TX) and pins 4 and 6 crossed (DTR-DSR).
- Straight cable 9 pins from converter to the ATEM port.

I´m using 9600 bauds, and in camera configuration i have disabled the V_AddrFix parameter.

Matthew Galvin

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 am

Thanks for the detailed pinout on the RS422 9-pin dsub.

Serial is pretty well done, but Visca over IP is very poorly documented, and AFAIK, there is only one commercial provider for software-only (Rocosoft).

I'm working on a few solutions for the Sony SRG-series cameras and will try to remember to post back here when I get something working. Also have some packet captures from the Sony RM-IP joystick controller, if anyone wants them.

Cristian Secară

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 9:53 am

Matthew Galvin wrote:AFAIK, there is only one commercial provider for software-only (Rocosoft).

If you mean using a PC software application to control a camera via VISCA protocol over IP, there are a few other solutions too – with the mention that in those cases a virtual Serial Port over Ethernet connector is required.

As for PC software, until now I used successfully PTZ Controller (commercial w/ trial period, uses concatenated VISCA words that may confuse some custom controlled device) and Camera Controller (commercial w/ demo). I also made some experiments with EVI-D70 Commander (freeware) but which requires true VISCA handshake with strict timing and with which I had some troubles using it properly over Ethernet. All these are basically serial software.

As for serial over Ethernet, I used Serial over Ethernet Connector from Eltima (commercial) and HW Virtual Serial Port from HW group (freeware with few of their own adds).

I played with the above combinations while developing an analog interface for controlling remotely a few Fujinon B4-mount broadcast lenses and PT-BRDCSTR-P heads from PTZ Optics, using VISCA commands sent over a TCP network (in a somewhat complicated environment with several Studio Camera 4K cameras & B4 lens mount adapters from MTF).

Cristi

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 am

Cristian Secară

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:There are several options if you want to control Visca from software. [...]

Matthew Galvin was talking about VISCA over IP; most of the above listed software are serial only (natively speaking) and as far as I know the PTZOptics Camera Control Software (Electron App) does not support the VISCA protocol (though I'm not 100% sure on this).

Cristi

Mikaël Crozat

PTZ Optics wiring

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 11:09 am

Hi,

First thank you for your work. I finally succeeded making our PTZ Optics like (avonic) cameras working with the Atem 1ME advanced panel. Hope it should work with all others panels.

The wiring error in the manual was the clue and I can confirm that it is still present and moreover even more false because they swapped the wrong TX/RX in the correction :D

The Correct wiring is :
ATEM SUBD PIN /// PTZ RS232 IN
2 ----------->5
3 ----------->1
5 ----------->4
7 ----------->2
8 ----------->3

Then in the PTZ menu
Protocol : Visca
V_Address : 1(for the first one, 2 for the second...)
V_AddressFix : Off
Net Mode : serial
Baudrate : 9600

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 am

Not entirly the case.. i remember there is something with PTZ optics vs Sony Visca that has a RX TX twist on its own ;)
But it is good that you documented it for other users

I Will check the manual later on to see if the correction works for Sony and Lumens camera’s.

Mikaël Crozat

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Your wiring was good and the scheme you provided too. I just enlightened the "hard" wiring cos I made mistakes soldering mine because of the "RM BR300" REMOTE in the middle. Seeing that it did not work, I opened the manual and saw the wiring was different. I then decided to check every pin on each side and saw my soldering mistake.

There, there was 2 solutions : your wiring was good or the one on the manual. I decided to trust you and, even if at first it didn't work because of the serial/parallel option in the camera, it then show up instantly on my desk.

In the latest manual they say :
8 : RX-
3 : RX+
2: TX -
7: TX +

instead of
8 : RX+
3 : RX-
2 : TX+
7 : TX-

Mikaël Crozat

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 2:08 pm

But I can also confirm that when they advertise "PTZ control" this is 100% true... and only that.
- no focuscontrol
- no AF on/off
- no position memory
- no position recall
- no menu call (even if the joystick works when the menu is called via the IR remote)

on fact nothing but Pan -Tilt - Zoom

Hope BMD will change things in the future.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 2:52 pm

Presets store and recall is already in the sdi protocol. But not yet implemented to the atem
Panel software. I do hope we see an update in the near future that Will also Be able to tell the atem what sdi Channel a PTZ is connected. So you can dona basic shutter, iris, red blue shading from the atem.

I have this up and running now. But from external hardware that takes the commands of the atem and embedded that data into the Visca protocol. Not iDeal. A integrated solution would Be nicer

Denny Smith

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 8:10 pm

Thanks for the update Kim.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rick Goodman

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 3:26 am

Help!

We have three Sony BRC 300 cameras that we would like to control with our ATEM 2M/E. We have not been able to get our switcher to detect the cameras thru the ATEM. We use cat5 cable thru a box that daisy chains the cameras. This works with the Sony camera control but have not gotten it to work with the ATEM. We have tried wiring according to the new pin out in the above illustrations and still nothing. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Try a direct wiring without the box to 1 camera. I have tested this wiring as i described in my document with a BRC300 camera.

Be absolutely sure you have also configured your camera the right dipswitches. 422 instead of 232, and 9600 baud rate, Auto addressing!! (While you might test it with fixed addresses..)

Also you should not have a Fiber card installed in the BRC300.. (yes they excist) as they take over the control of the camera.

CharlesS

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Sup guys!

I love that there is so much discussion about BMD switchers, PTZ Optic cameras and VISCA control. Does anyone know if the 422 interface of the PTZOptic HuddleCam can be used to communicate with the TVS HD? I'd like to be able to select and switch the camera inputs from the PTZ controller as opposed to touching the buttons on the TVS HD. I'm wondering about this because, it would be great to upgrade some cameras and use the existing RS232 daisy chain for PTZ control alongside control of the TVS. Wishful thinking??? Theoretical fantasy???

Xtreemtec

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 5:03 pm

Not possible by default.

What i do is i have a Sony RM-BR300 remote.. This is a Visca remote with Tally outputs. So when i select a Camera. The Tally output becomes active. This combined with a Custom Build GPIO box that sends a command to the Atem to select the camera on my preview bus.

So i select a Dome camera on my PTZ remote. The switcher follows in preview.. I set up my shot. And hit take on the Atem. Select a differnt dome.. Set up shot, Take. Etc Etc.. ;)

IsseSwe

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:59 am

Hello all.

I'm a newbie to the BMD-world. I have a hard time to understand mush of the talk in here so I'll just ask simply:

I have an ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K (just learning it) and I have a MSC4K with a Rushworks PTx model 1. I have got the PTZ working from the ATEM using the zoom-knob + trackball but the trackball is not all to good for PT movements.

I've been here on the forum trying to understand "everything" regarding visca and even after several hours of reading I can not find a simple straight yes/no answer for my question.

- Can I connect a PTZ controller (a joystick of somekind supporting visca protocol) to the ATEM using the d-sub9 remote port on the back of the ATEM and override the PAN/TILT in the trackball?

_______
Sorry if this is seen of topic, this is the best thread so far regarding the matter, thats why I ask here :-)
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 1:19 pm

No that is not possible. Better way would be just buy a PTZ Visca remote and wire it direct to the PTZ head without the Atem in between. ;) Works better and gives more options like PanTilt Presets

IsseSwe

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks for your speedy reply.

What if I utilize an ATEM and communicate over IP from (example) SKAARHOJ PTZ Pro to ATEM and ATEM SDI output to the Micro Studio to access PAN and TILT control? 

I have come a cross many PTZ controllers on my quest to gain the knowhow to proceed with 
my setup. One of these manufacturers is SKAARHOJ and they have some controllers with 
network capabilities so I thought that that might work to communicate with the ATEM, would that work?
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 1:36 pm

These controllers do not communicate with the Atem. But straight network connection for Visca IP to the network or in this example video SDI out from the Skaarhoj controller.
But you omit the Atem at all. ;)

IsseSwe

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Daniel, you have been most helpfull, just not what I wanted to hear lol...

If only PAN/TILT kontroll was available in the ATEM software I could midimap it but noooo, ofc not. Why should it be that easy? ^^

I really want a better control then the trackball gives but I really don't want to loose the sdi to the cams, as reference as well as ccu from the software is lost :-/

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 3:05 pm

You have not watched the video closely! ;) ;) Because the controller of Skaarhoj uses the BMD shield for there PT Control. But you can use the PGM output of the Atem as source into the PT control. So CCU and Tally / ref will still pass to the camera. :)

IsseSwe

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Well, I think I have to little knowledge yet :-P

But let me see if I got it right, I know that you wrote pgm out but I want to use the SDI in/out between ATEM and cam. Is it possible for me to use the arduino between the ATEM and cam in a chain on the SDI cable?

Example, I have a PTZ on input on on the ATEM, then I want the output 1 to go to cam for CCU, if I have it ATEM - ARDUINO - CAM on the sdi line for each PTZ then I can use one arduion for each cam, is that possible?
Next

Return to Live Production