DCP Question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

James McDonagh

DCP Question

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Hello,

I have my project settings at 60fps but all my footage is 24fps. I really don't want to have to start all my editing all over again but I also want to be able to deliver a DCP out of this project. Will there be any problems in me continuing to edit with these settings?

Jack Fairley

Re: DCP Question

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm

You really need to start over.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

James McDonagh

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:You really need to start over.

What would be the best way to start over?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:49 pm

Start over with new project :D

Dermot Shane

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm

how far along is the project?

have you finished the edit and are now gradeing / finishing? you could (i would) export an EDL and convert that to 24Fps, then conform the 24fps EDL in a 24fps project and fix the errors created by the conversion, running out a screener with source tc and filename is going to be a big help in sorting the conform errors

if you are still cutting, then i'd export screeners with source tc and filename burnt in for any seq i was happy with and start over using the screeners as a guideline

and i would never again start a project with a frame rate that did not match the main deliverable

James McDonagh

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:how far along is the project?

have you finished the edit and are now gradeing / finishing? you could (i would) export an EDL and convert that to 24Fps, then conform the 24fps EDL in a 24fps project and fix the errors created by the conversion, running out a screener with source tc and filename is going to be a big help in sorting the conform errors

if you are still cutting, then i'd export screeners with source tc and filename burnt in for any seq i was happy with and start over using the screeners as a guideline

and i would never again start a project with a frame rate that did not match the main deliverable

It's about 33% of the way through editing the picture and sound. I'm not at grading yet.

Could you explain what you mean by "screeners with source tc and filename burnt in"?

Dermot Shane

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 pm

take any timeline of value, turn on burn-in, select source file name and source timecode, render a DNx36 of that
export an EDL of the same timeline

use those in your new 24fps project as a guideline, they will be ruff, but helpfull none the less

all about damage limitation here....

Marc Wielage

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 am

Dermot Shane wrote:...if you are still cutting, then i'd export screeners with source tc and filename burnt in for any seq i was happy with and start over using the screeners as a guideline... and i would never again start a project with a frame rate that did not match the main deliverable

Dermot is very wise. I had to do this a couple of years ago on a music video where the "creative" editor had cut the entire project at 29.97 but with 23.98 source material, and I refused to work on it unless it was done correctly in a 23.98 project. The editor balked at recutting it (since he was not getting paid), so I just rolled up my sleeves, did exactly what Dermot suggested, and reconformed it all together by hand. It worked fine, and I think it was worth the effort.

Luckily for me, the project only had 69 cuts and dissolves, so it wasn't that hard. The reference movie made it relatively easy. If it was a massive project... I'd say use this as a learning experience and know for the future you have to get the workflow right in the very beginning. The project timeline -- ideally -- should be set to whatever the ultimate deliverable format will be. If it's going for a DCP, generally they have only 24.00fps or 25.00fps. I would get that information from the client in writing and use that as gospel.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

James McDonagh

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful in my time of crysis.

Return to Post Production