BMCC ProRes Dance Battle Apocalypse!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Matthew Silver

BMCC ProRes Dance Battle Apocalypse!

PostThu May 02, 2013 4:53 pm

So I've been playing with the BMCC for a bit now on personal stuff, but we were just able to post today the first client project that I used it for.

Shot entirely in ProRes using Rokinon Cinelenses with a Nikon mount, a JuicedLink Riggy and Sennheiser boom, a Rhino Slider (those guys are great and so is their slider), and a Sandisk 480gb.

The Sandisk was great, no problems at all on the 8 hour shoot day. This video was for an education association, so part of our deal was to use high school students as part of the crew. Our boom op and PA were students. Our PA was sometimes drooling over the camera, especially when we gave him an opportunity to shoot some of the footage.

Everything was edited and graded in FCPX, which was really a simple process. We love the metadata entry and the latitude that we had in color balancing. So very excited about this camera and we're using it to shoot the other three videos coming up for this client. We've been an all Panasonic shop until now, but this camera has been great to work with and worth the wait.

One interesting thing that I've been noticing about the camera - lens flares and light leaks. I feel like a matte box is definitely needed more than we have with our AF100 or gh2. Even in the black box space we were shooting in we were getting some flares, which we then decided to enhance in post. Anyone else getting a lot of flare in their shoots?

Feel free to ask any questions about the shoot or our setup. I'm not nearly as technical as some folks here on the boards, but I'll give you the everyman answers to whatever you're asking. Thanks for looking!

Matthew
g14media.tv

EricCosh

Re: BMCC ProRes Dance Battle Apocalypse!

PostThu May 02, 2013 5:44 pm

Very nice Matt: Students also did a pretty good job. Looked like fun. You're right! Pro res rocks. :D

Theodore Prentice

Re: BMCC ProRes Dance Battle Apocalypse!

PostThu May 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks for posting, I lol'd at the intro of the legendary street-dancer D-Tron!!!

Well done

Return to Cinematography