Angelbird SSDs?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ben Tobin

Angelbird SSDs?

PostWed May 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi,
This is my first time posting but I've been doing a lot of reading on here. My camera hasn't arrived yet, though I'm told I'm first in line from the place I ordered from. My biggest concern right now is picking the right SSD. Up until recently I was pretty confident in the sandisk 240GB but I've been reading about the Angelbird SSDs which sound pretty good as well. The people there were very nice about letting answering my email and letting me know that they have had BMCC users using their SSDs. I'm just still on the fence because of these not being on the official list and I can't find any accounts of people using them with the camera. I'm totally new to the world of SSDs as I'm finally moving away from my canon 60D. I plan on testing everything out before my planned shoot this summer I'd just like to ideally get the right stuff beforehand. Some of these accounts of SSDs just not recording or dying just have me worried about the choice I need to make. Any advice would be awesome!
Thanks!
Ben Tobin

rick.lang

Re: Angelbird SSDs?

PostWed May 01, 2013 7:21 pm

bztobin wrote:Hi,
This is my first time posting but I've been doing a lot of reading on here. My camera hasn't arrived yet, though I'm told I'm first in line from the place I ordered from. My biggest concern right now is picking the right SSD. Up until recently I was pretty confident in the sandisk 240GB but I've been reading about the Angelbird SSDs which sound pretty good as well. The people there were very nice about letting answering my email and letting me know that they have had BMCC users using their SSDs. I'm just still on the fence because of these not being on the official list and I can't find any accounts of people using them with the camera. I'm totally new to the world of SSDs as I'm finally moving away from my canon 60D. I plan on testing everything out before my planned shoot this summer I'd just like to ideally get the right stuff beforehand. Some of these accounts of SSDs just not recording or dying just have me worried about the choice I need to make. Any advice would be awesome!
Thanks!

No one has posted here that they have used Angelbird SSDs in the BMCC but they work well in a computer. No need to be in a hurry to purchase something as easily attainable like an SSD. When the new cameras are released in late July, BMD will update their list of approved SSDs for raw and ProRes recordings.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Ben Tobin

PostWed May 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info! Is there a good site to look at info about SSDs. The formatting seems a little intimidating. I read about Angelbird in a post about the TRIM function, which I've been trying to find more info on. I'm guessing there's some info in the manual of the camera, I just want to be really sure I know as much as I can so I can get my hands dirty once the camera arrives.
Ben Tobin

Christine Peterson

PostThu May 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Our team is planning to test this SSD later this month. As of now, the only officially certified SSDs are available in a list here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... 968&os=win
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

rick.lang

PostFri May 03, 2013 1:37 am

Christine Peterson wrote:Our team is planning to test this SSD later this month. As of now, the only officially certified SSDs are available in a list here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... 968&os=win

I'll ask one more time to include in the list of certified SSDs, a list of SSDs that have failed. Will be helpful... Without that list, people speculate a particular SSD may be good but just hasn't been tested. I think this will be the last time I ask for this though as I hate to beat this drum repeatedly.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

EricCosh

PostFri May 03, 2013 2:11 am

I guess my only question about the Angelbird SSD's is why experiment in the first place. Over the past year, the SanDisk Extreme has been the overall choice of BMCC owners. Why? Because they perform.

Christine Peterson

PostFri May 03, 2013 1:17 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Christine Peterson wrote:Our team is planning to test this SSD later this month. As of now, the only officially certified SSDs are available in a list here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... 968&os=win

I'll ask one more time to include in the list of certified SSDs, a list of SSDs that have failed. Will be helpful... Without that list, people speculate a particular SSD may be good but just hasn't been tested. I think this will be the last time I ask for this though as I hate to beat this drum repeatedly.

Rick Lang

Rick, it seems like you're at least partially getting your wish. We recently started a round of officially testing SSDs and you should see an update within the next couple months!
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

rick.lang

PostFri May 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

Rick, it seems like you're at least partially getting your wish. We recently started a round of officially testing SSDs and you should see an update within the next couple months!

Thanks, Christine! Looking forward to the release of three cameras in July with the appropriate SSD lists. You are awesome and that is all I can say that's fit to print in a forum that children may be reading! You know I mean that in a nice way...

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

MrMacUK

PostWed May 29, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm using Angelbird SSD in my Mac tower, it works fine with no problem, the speed is really fast, you will never want to go back to using HD after an SSD.

Return to Cinematography