SO IS THE ORIGINAL MFT DEAD OR ALIVE?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

grenouilletex

Re: SO IS THE ORIGINAL MFT DEAD OR ALIVE?

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Already own the GH3 to play with while I wait for my BMCC. Properly used, it can output fantastic footage. IMO, all of these cameras output stunning video. I have no doubt in my mind that the Blackmagic cinema will be even better which is why I'm not canceling my order. From a low budget standpoint, both these cameras should work well together as a pair.

The beauty of this all is that companies like Blackmagic are leveling the playing field. You don't have to be rich to shoot beautiful images anymore. Now it just boils down to who has the talent. And thankfully, that will always be is short supply. The Blackmagics and Panasonics of the world are my heroes!

Ryan McCarvill

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 pm

How does the GH3 codec hold up? I'm not so much concerned about the Moire problems as I've seen plenty of those to know that it is an issue, more with the way it handles blocks of colours and mud in the shadows.

I'm hoping that the BMCC arrives in time, however I need to start testing a camera for a project in a couple of weeks, unfortunately I can't really justify buying both the GH3 and BMCC but I need to test one, and can't postpone things any more.

I might get the BMCCPC for shots which require more DR, however I would be pretty cautious about relying on Blackmagic in the future.

And before people start saying that you shouldn't rely on a camera that isn't released yet, bare in mind that I switched my order in October and this camera was supposed to be released in December, on the BM website there isn't any reference to it not being released at all. So these tests were booked 5 months after the camera was supposed to be shipping.

grenouilletex

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 12:28 am

Honestly, I wouldn't do a long shot with large dark areas with either of these cameras, though the BMCC should resolve better.

grenouilletex

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 12:29 am

Vimeo has pretty good examples of both. Just make sure to download the files in full res vs. seeing them on the web (compressed). Google is our friend.

Ryan McCarvill

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 2:12 am

Yeah I've seen them on Vimeo, but just wondering what real world experience is like.

grenouilletex

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 2:28 pm

If I keep it at or below ISO 1600, image looks great. So paired with the right lens it yields good performance. I've done some test shots in my home at night and it can definitely capture what I'd consider an image relatively similar to the eye with minimal noise.

Ryan McCarvill

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 8:51 am

Decided to grab the GH3 and will eventually get the Pocket Camera for shots that require the latitude. Hopefully the GH3 is hacked to give it a bit more oomph.

Works out at about the same price as the BMCC.

Not waiting for the BMCC is gonna be kind of weird, been something that I've been doing for so long.

If I had my BMCC I'm sure that I would love it, but it was time to move on.

The good news for everyone else is that now that I have cancelled my order it will inevitably be released next week.

John Bartman

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 9:30 am

The good news for everyone else is that now that I have cancelled my order it will inevitably be released next week.

Thanks.

Ghassan Nazmi

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 12:08 pm

I hope they update us on the MFT situation from here till the first of May, I just hope so... :cry:
please BMD have some mercy we've been waiting double the effort of EF costumers
Ghassan Nazmi
Writer|Director|Cinematographer
Info@ghassannazmi.com
www.ghassannazmi.com (Currently Upgrading)

http://instagram.com/oras_gn

VINTRUSCAM (BMCC 2.5K MFT)

John Bartman

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Here here!

Macielle

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Would love to have some news regarding MFT.

John Bartman

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 5:54 am

bartman wrote:This was just passed on to me,
and came from blackmagic support yesterday:

I can tell you that we are getting closer to shipping as the Beta versions have gone out to our testers a month or so ago. Unfortunately I do not have any information other than that, no estimates on shipping dates or anything like that. I do understand your frustration and will make that clear to the product manager but I simply do not have any shipping information on the MFT Cinema Camera right now.

Ryan McCarvill

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Bad news.

Jim DeLuca

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 pm

With all due respect to Blackmagic, but what really confuses me, is how can release dates be set for the new camera's yet no date for the MFT which was announced in September?

Personally I'm not that upset, I'm willing to wait for what will sure be a great camera. I'm just not sure of the release date logic. I know it was not their intent to be disingenuous with the release date announcement of the new cameras with no update from the MFT version, but a little clarification would go a long way.

It's admirable how open Blackmagic has been in the past when issues presented themselves, I hope they will continue down that path.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 am

Jim DeLuca wrote:With all due respect to Blackmagic, but what really confuses me, is how can release dates be set for the new camera's yet no date for the MFT which was announced in September?

I hope they're not planning on waiting until they satisfy ALL of the demand for the EF mount versions first, because in light of the fact that vendors are continuing to get new orders, that will never end. They've got a winner on their hands, but they're sitting on it in favor of the runner up. I hope it's just a matter of getting them into production and shipping... I have some projects coming up for which I'd really like to be able to use the Black Magic, but the camera isn't what I'm getting hired for, and I'm not making any promises to clients to use the Black Magic... however, shooting them with the BMCC would make some of them easier (single system recording for a dialog-only shoot), and some better (both in terms of image quality and ergonomics, thanks to the sexy Shape rig that's sitting in my camera bag waiting for a camera...)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 11:30 pm

Jim DeLuca wrote:With all due respect to Blackmagic, but what really confuses me, is how can release dates be set for the new camera's yet no date for the MFT which was announced in September?

Purely speculation on my part, but somehow I think their decision likely made in the fourth quarter of 2012 to go with an active MFT mount on a new BMPCC comes into play. Just how that plays out, we wait to see.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Scott Pultz

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 am

rick.lang wrote:

Purely speculation on my part, but somehow I think their decision likely made in the fourth quarter of 2012 to go with an active MFT mount on a new BMPCC comes into play. Just how that plays out, we wait to see.

Rick Lang

Seems like they might as well go active mount on the BMCC since the firmware is the same between the cameras anyway :)

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am

Scott Pultz wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

Seems like they might as well go active mount on the BMCC since the firmware is the same between the cameras anyway :)

I had my mind made up to go with the BMCC MFT passive with all manual lenses shooting on a tripod; until NAB 2013 when they upset the apple cart once again offering 4K for $4k. I may stay with BMCC MFT because of the lenses I expected to use. But it is hard to resist the BMPCC for convenience (and IS) and the pro BMPC4K (even if one only produces HD, it will likely be stunning HD, and tasty 2K). Funny, because the cameras all have different strengths and weaknesses, the smartest people may opt for all three! I just can't do that or I'm just not that smart. As I think Paul just posted in another thread, deciding on the right lenses isn't an easy task. Finding out about the quality of the BMPC4K and in what form and firmware the BMCC MFT ships are critical unknowns.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Ryan McCarvill

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 4:19 am

I'm kind of glad I'm not invested in the MFT anymore - I would like them to release the passive camera for the purists out there, however I hope next generation BMCC to see a 3 or 4k camera with active mount and a native size MFT sensor.

Lorenzo Straight

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 4:39 am

Passive or active matters not, let's just get a confirmed release date. We have relaease dates for newly announced cameras, but not for the originals. Come on! Feels like a backtiming, edit.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Taikonaut

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 6:38 am

I doubt there will be an active mount BMC MFT for the simple reason BMD will not want to go back to rework an old model that is becomming increasingly irrelevent. We might see an entirely new model with 4/3 size sensor with active MFT mount, global shutter and 4k for under $3k.

Doug Guerra

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 pm

It is probably safe to say that the MFT cameras themselves have been manufactured, and if an active mount was in fact in the cards, it would require sending the additional cost of changing them.

What would perhaps be nice is a low cost active mount upgrade sometime down the line that you could ship your camera in for. In researching the lenses I could use on this camera, there is indeed some painful irony that the most readily-available lenses (Panasonic's, Oly's, etc) are electronically useless with the BMCC. I totally understand why people are apathetic towards these lenses, but as far as the MFT system itself is concerned, it's an odd position for lens owners to be in.

Anyway, I'm still on preorder status like the rest of you, and even though it's only been two weeks, I feel your collective pain! I commend those of you who have held out since last year. Here's to hoping that BMD gives us some news soon... Would I like the camera to simply come out already? Absolutely, but I would be more than happy with even just a hint of what's going on. As Tamerlin mentioned, specifically keeping up with EF demand is a silly strategy because holding back the MFT version will increase EF demand, and we all know there are still shortages of it.

Hang in there!

rick.lang

PostWed May 01, 2013 4:47 am

Doug Guerra wrote:...In researching the lenses I could use on this camera, there is indeed some painful irony that the most readily-available lenses (Panasonic's, Oly's, etc) are electronically useless with the BMCC. I totally understand why people are apathetic towards these lenses, but as far as the MFT system itself is concerned, it's an odd position for lens owners to be in.

If I go with the BMCC MFT, I plan to add manual hyperprime ciné lenses from SLR MAGIC as they are or become available. So worth waiting for and may be better than the active MFT Panasonic and Olympus lenses I imagine.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

John Bartman

PostThu May 02, 2013 12:14 am

Time for an update?

ozthrasher

PostThu May 02, 2013 1:50 pm

bartman wrote:Time for an update?

+1

John Bartman

PostFri May 03, 2013 7:52 am

Doug Guerra

PostFri May 03, 2013 9:27 am

Glad to see someone saved that image...

Christine Peterson

PostFri May 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Locking this thread because this one is essentially a duplicate: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7714 Please continue your conversation in that thread.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)
Previous

Return to Cinematography