Blackmagic Pocket 4K battery Grip

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Craig Seeman

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 4:51 pm

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/09/ ... -bmpcc-4k/

So it looks like BMD made their own batter grip. Holds two LP-E6 batteries.
Last edited by Craig Seeman on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Craig Seeman

Re: Blackmagic Pocket 4K battery Grip

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Tyler Edwards

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:00 pm

I am so happy for this! Thanks Blackmagic!
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:01 pm

Interesting Craig, but it is more of a battery pack than a useable “grip”, unless you shoot 9:16 (vertical) format. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Richard

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Grant just presented this much welcome add on battery grip at his press conference.
Available approximately in August

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Well thank goodness for that as I have the two LP-E6N to slip in there and I’m not likely to run out of convenient battery power when I’m recording an individual performance or theatrical act. Or when shooting events.

But the battery grip will present a problem for cage designers. I need to think about that before buying a cage... a telescoping cage to be used with and without the battery grip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Tim Lota

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:19 pm

^ This.

Why wasn't this announced like 6 months ago?! :|

Valentin Remy

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:23 pm

I think you heard wrong guys, it's Sony batteries, not LP E6 batteries ! He corrected himself.
And that's even better because honestly, having a big huge grip for not even 2 hours instead of 50minutes is not really interesting :p
http://www.instagram.com/valentinremy.be/

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Oh darn, those NP-F970 batteries! Why are they called L-series when L isn’t part of the name?

Rick Lang

Cooper

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Hmm... I wonder how it effects the weight balance, for gimbal use it raises the body quite bit. No IS so no handheld usage for me and on my shoulder rig/mattebox rail thingie it wont be combatible with height adjustment clearances (followfocus, mattebox). Unless someone makes right size rail hight adjustment thingies, then again then it would screw my tripod attachment plate placement. At least tilta can make new side plates for the cage... and new ergonomic bottom plate without the side handle attachment bump.

Craig Seeman

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Now on Blackmagic page with accurate description.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 2.20.47 PM.jpg
Battery Grip
Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 2.20.47 PM.jpg (675.31 KiB) Viewed 15971 times

Chris Chiasson

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Glad I don’t buy cages. Since they’re switching to Sony batteries, I think this is a sign that BM is moving away from the canon ones. They just don’t cut it. So the next VA is probably going Sony, and same with the new Micros.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm so glad they did this battery grip. I was trying to get Vello to design one for the Pocket 4K. This is a smart move BMD! Thank you.

Now, there need to be cages that will support the new configuration and I'm certain Smallrig, 8sinn, and a few others will be coming out very soon. One of the things that these new cages need is some way to add 15mm rods with riser attachments so that follow focus system and gears can reach the lens. I'm going to hold off buying a new P4K cage until they have one that supports the battery grip because that battery grip IS A MUST TO HAVE!!!

Next for BMD, maybe an Variable ND adapter that can go between the camera MFT mount and the lens or a metabones SB with an EF lens. I think this will be a bit interesting because it will extend the focal flange. With those two upgrades, I think the P4K will have enough to be a good companion for the URSA G2.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Robert Niessner

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 7:17 pm

Why do you think that L-series batteries are Sony batteries? The grip uses two LP-E6N batteries.

EDIT: Hmm, ok the Sony NPF batteries are called L-series.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 8:39 pm

It's hard to appreciate, that this is it. I mean I doubted that there would be a pocket pro at this date, even though there was a m43 sensor from the original pocket maker, and better Sony sensors, that would have given in the little bit extra I wanted. But, I suppose, the main obstacle is getting a supply contract to do what you want to do. If only they had started with the better sensor, we would be inntje territory of the pocket or mini 4.6k. More charming footage.

I was disappointed at no micro update, or even a showing of one for September, thought after last years days with the pocket, maybe they won't show one till September. There are a number of 4k (I think now even 8k) 1 inch sensirs out there. As long as they can match the range of the original pocket (around 15 stops on paper), that's a start, or 16 stops plus.

But back to this battery pack, are we talking about about too big? Whatever happened to silicon nano wire batteries with 10x the capacity, which were supposed to be out now, or other higher capacity lithium technologies (isn't the a 2x technology out there?).

Anyway, next September/Year. Undoubtedly money might have something to use with that 8k infrastructure they announced.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

David White

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Australian Image wrote:And now we need a smaller and significantly less expensive EVF to match the BMPCC4K. Not asking for much. :D

I agree. I'll mention it to them at NAB tomorrow.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 pm

If you going to talk to somebody tomorrow, why not ask them about doing a low profile cage grip, with batteries stuffed in the structure and thin sheet batteries between the structures. I've kept his idea to myself for a while, but am not going to get to use it. It means a lot less height increase co pared to this grip, and a little depth increase for maybe similar capacity. To pur it in general terms, more sexy, more ergonomic.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 9:05 pm

With those plastic lithium batteries so it doesn't catch on fire.

Chris Chiasson

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 10:26 pm

Any pictures of the bottom? Kinda curious if they added any anti-twist features to it.

Also, does it come with the batteries or are they sold separately?

Robert Niessner

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 10:44 pm

Newsshooters wrote that there are two mounting points on the bottom.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

John Paines

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 10:50 pm

That thing doesn't look like it could hold two 970s, or even one, which may be why they're only advertising two hours of run time. I wonder....

Craig Seeman

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 12:04 am

Craig Seeman

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 12:10 am

Looks like two 550 type which are the smallest.

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 12:43 am

I don't think it's dumb to ask. If you want to film anything without the grip (for size or weight reasons), you need to bring spare LP batteries. Which means charging two different batteries, with two different charger plates. And though the Sony L batteries are used for lights and monitors, most likely customers own the bigger ones, and not the smaller ones.

However, I think those who buy the grip are likely gonna stick with the grip. And the Sony L's are still better. 2 LP batteries probably would've only added 1.5 minutes of battery instead of 2 hours.

Chris Whitten

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 6:35 am

Now needing two different battery types for two extra hours? Not for me.
Plus the extra weight and bulk, and tough with a gimbal.....
Chris Whitten

Nick Heydon

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 am

This is all well and good, but to me the grip seems pretty big when compared to the batteries you put in it. Also, isn't the price a bit much. An NPF battery sled, which allows you to use the bigger batteries, does the same job for $30, it just doesn't look quite so pretty.

I hope some 3rd parties jump on this, and make it smaller, with an integrated SSD slot/holder - that'd be sweet.

Nick Heydon

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 am

Australian Image wrote:Undoubtedly third parties will follow suit at some point in time, but this one is available now. As for price, check out prices for genuine Canon, Nikon, Sony etc grips.

It's not available until August.

You can compare against their prices, but then if you look at their cameras, BMD are 'cheap'. So relatively, it seems like a lot for the grip.

Chris Whitten

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 am

3rd party (swit) l Series are £60 each = £120, plus charger.....plus BM grip.
I'm happy to swap out Canon as I go.
Chris Whitten

Nick Heydon

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 8:26 am

Australian Image wrote:
I haven't heard of any other alternatives so far. And no one will be reverse engineering it until it arrives.

It's basically just a dummy battery in a housing that looks like the camera. Not much reverse engineering needed.

Australian Image wrote:The word 'cheap' is quite derogatory, inferring poor quality.The BMPCC4K is anything but poor quality.

Man, I'm just sharing my thoughts, I didn't mean to offend. That's why I put it in quotes, hoping it wouldn't be taken in that derogatory way... Perhaps you can suggest a better word instead of finding small things to argue about? I'm strictly talking about cost to the customer, BMD cameras are cheap/cost effective/low in price when it comes to how much you spend to have one.

Australian Image wrote:The price is what it is, you don't have to buy one.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Swissified

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 8:34 am

Nick Heydon wrote:It's not available until August.

Judging by the delivery announcement and reality of the Pocket 4K itself, I doubt August is the availability timeframe.

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 12:40 pm

‘Cheap’ is often used when the intended word is ‘inexpensive.’ Usually inexpensive is a better description for BMD gear that is good quality.

Cheap can mean lower price, but often implies lower quality or at a price so low that you don’t have to think about the purchase cost. You didn’t say anything wrong, but it’s a word with two common meanings and therefore ambiguous and easily misinterpreted.

Rick Lang

Chris Whitten

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Or affordable.
The Pocket 4K is definitely affordable for what it does.
As to accessories, I have no rule on how something should be priced, just whether the investment is worth it to me or not.
Chris Whitten

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Agree. When I thought the grip used the NP-F970, I priced them out: $299 each in Canadian dollars plus the cost of a charger and the $245 US for the grip so I’m looking at well over $1,000 Canadian to go that route. Too much at this time at least for me even though the NP-F570 will cost less.

I do have a very long festival shoot at the end of May where this would help but it’s not released by then anyway so I may stick with the URSA Mini 4.6K.

I may have the option of running from mains power running my heavy duty 100’ power extension cord to the BMPCC4K. I really want to use BRAW Q5/12:1 for that shoot with a Wise 1TB SSD on my phantom BMPCC4K.

Rick Lang

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 3:38 pm

Charge wise, if you have one of those battery chargers where you can swap the plates, then you can save money by just buying Sony L plates for your LP-E6 charger. That way, you don’t need a dedicated charger. Also, you can apparently use the BMP4k power cable and charge the batteries that way to cut costs. The only thing I’m worried about is needing to buy 4 Sony L’s or just 2 if the grip comes with batteries included. Because I only own one of those small Sony L batteries, and I needed to know if I just need to buy one more or 3.

Either way I’m happy with the grip. I think it solves two of my problems. The battery issue and the lack of an ant-twist issue. I should be able to lock it the camera now with the two mounts. And 2 hours is better then 40 minutes. I just hope they’re accurate about the 2 hours.

The 2 main accessories I’d want now is the return of the Blackmagic shoulder strap, and an EVF that can also turn into an external smaller monitor, that locks into the top mount without twisting off.

Dmytro Shijan

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 4:04 pm

There are Canon LP-E6 to SONY adapters. Wonder if they fits to the grip with LP-e6 battery attached https://www.ebay.com/itm/Change-Canon-L ... 0795410767

P.S. That P4K bottom grip feels overpriced. It is a simple passive adapter and they price it as high end v-mount battery.
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (24.31 KiB) Viewed 15389 times
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

ricardo marty

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsLf4mrJ7A

Wish thar bm could make an extension cap to the dummy so we can use this with any half cage

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 6:27 pm

@Chris, or anyone at NAB
Does the BMPCC4K Battery Grip include two NP-F570 battery packs?

More importantly, what is the appropriate acronym for this item. BMPBG?

Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 9:39 pm

ricardo marty wrote:
Craig Seeman wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsLf4mrJ7A

Wish thar bm could make an extension cap to the dummy so we can use this with any half cage

Ricardo Marty

I use a nfp970 adapter to 12v with pocket4k jack to use Sony battery with power cord. I use it from some months and work fine. I put battery on my jacket or on rig with simple rail adapter and is affordable to have near to 3 hours of shooting.

€ 35,96 | DC 12V NP-F Battery Power Supply System Mount Adapter Plate Holder for BMCC BMPCC 4K BMPCC4K Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras 4K
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cDFSwYRW

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

ricardo marty

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 10:09 pm

I know my post was kind of arcane but im actually speaking about the new battery grip. If its used connected under a cage the dummy battery would be a wee short unless there is an extension cap to place on the dummy thats inserted in the bmp4k.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

paulgolden

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 1:59 am

The grip looks nice, but this Core (Switronix) will give you about 4 hours of run-time and do almost the same thing:

https://www.coreswx.com/store.coreswx/p ... pbe-bmpc4/

It's not a grip, but would work pretty much identically on a tripod.

Chris Chiasson

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 3:03 am

One thing they could do to make some people happy is sell an alternate version that takes in 3 canon batteries. I measured at home. It would only be slighting longer then current one. So it wouldn't be perfectly uniformed with the body. But it the hatch side poked out a bit more, I'm sure people would prefer that then 2 canon batteries that only give 1.5 hours of battery life. But honestly, I think people will still prefer the Sony L route. Less batteries to charge and swap.

Also, on the plus side, if you think the grip is too expensive, I'm sure third parties will make their own, now that the camera's firmware will function with one.

ricardo marty

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 3:37 am

I saw a youtube video where a guy uses an atomos power station to power the bmp4k. He used it on a rig and placed at the rear to counterbalance the weight. I seemed likwe a better solution with two np970 batteries.

https://www.atomos.com/power-station

Ricardo Marty

Swissified

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 4:38 am

Australian Image wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:I saw a youtube video where a guy uses an atomos power station to power the bmp4k. He used it on a rig and placed at the rear to counterbalance the weight. I seemed likwe a better solution with two np970 batteries.

You can do the same and possibly better with a smaller V-lock battery or the newly introduced nano V-lock battery I noted earlier: https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/09/ ... t-battery/.

And the same with the Hawkwoods Mini V-Lok Batteries 50/100/150 which have been advertised as the smallest in the world. No D-Tap socket though.

ricardo marty

This is a great a grip

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Tis is a better solution for grip.

http://onelittlegoat.com/battery-pack

Ricardo Marty

ricardo marty

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 pm

Im talking about a battery grip that could easaly fit most cages. You can have a small rig handle and a battery grip handle.

Ricardo Marty

ricardo marty

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 10:00 pm

I agree with you but imop it makes the camera extra bulky for a gimble and othe uses.

Ricardo Marty

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Have we determined with certainty the Sony batteries the official grip uses? Sony.ca carries only one NP L-Series and that’s the NP-F970 at $229 CAN, but we know that’s not going to fit.

I guess Canada is a small market country and I’m in a small market city so finding the battery might be difficult since I don’t shop Amazon (I know there’s only 187 people in the world that don’t shop Amazon).

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Rick, you can get the smaller NP L battery from Atomos (they package one with their HDMI/SDI Connect It Converter and is the same battery as a Sony) I have one, works great on the Focus Monitor, or B&H, which has both Sony and some higher end 3rd party batteries.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Thanks, Denny.

Would this Ikan NP-F750 L-Series compatible fit in the BMPBG (battery grip)? It is close to the capacity of the Sony NP-F970 which means a decent runtime.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507556-REG

Rick Lang

Robert Baker

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 8:20 pm

At $245 (US) I feel it's a wee bit overpriced just to include the ability to add 2 of the smallest Sony NPF batteries. *If* it had come out at the same time as the camera, and prior to a slew of power alternatives, it might have been a better option and I certainly would have considered it.

Released now, months after Pocket 4Ks have been outfitted with cages and other accessories, it seems more like an afterthought; like a response to a problem that wasn't anticipated (poor battery life from the Canon LP-E6 series).
The option of V-mount batteries or sleds to power the camera AND other needed devices while the Battery Grip doesn't have the ability to power anything but the camera also limits it's usefulness.
It looks good but I question the grip's long term usefulness.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements
Next

Return to Cinematography