Individual Still import instead of Sequence?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lucas Pfaff

Individual Still import instead of Sequence?

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 9:52 am

Hi there,

I googled a bit but couldn't find an answer; I know this has been a bigger problem in previous releases of Resolve, but maybe this changed by now?

My problem is the import of Stills.
I have some stills, those are named Filename_001.jpg, Filename_002.jpg etc - however, Resolve only shows them as Sequence. Yet they are individual stills that are not meant to be in a sequence, but were delivered like that from the agency. Importing this as sequence means I can't properly conform them.
I don't want to rename the files, and wrapping them individually in folders also sounds like a silly workaround.

Is there an option in Resolve 11.1.3 that "expands" Sequences into individual files (which might conform properly, else scene detection would be a way)?

Andrea Monzini

Re: Individual Still import instead of Sequence?

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 12:03 pm

i suggest to rename files.
If they files are several just use a batch rename app.

As you can read at Page 309 of DR 11 Manual

"You can import still images into the Media Pool, and edit them into the Timeline as clips with custom durations. By default, imported stills are 10 seconds long, but you can extend a still image’s....Once edited into the timeline, still image clips have the same Composite, Transform, Cropping, Retime and Scaling attributes as any other clip."

Lucas Pfaff

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Renaming is no option, that makes things inconsistent. For example, I'd have to reform all the images by Hand...
And having to have copies over copies of the same files makes no sense to me, either. The question is also, how do I use a batch-renamer that a sequence will be split up? Would adding a Suffix be enough? A Prefix for example wouldn't work, would still be a sequence. Nuke would "detect" a sequence even with a suffix to the number (but there I can import individual stills also)

I know it's possible to import stills by now (was a problem in the past IIRC), but the manual doesn't help with Sequence vs Indivual stills :(

Alex Berry

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 2:51 pm

I found that duplicating the images in finder so the each had a version with 'copy' after the name allowed me to import as solo stills instead of a sequence. I didn't have many so having to delete the copies afterwards wasn't too big an issue, but I understand you've got a lot.

JP Perry

PostMon Feb 23, 2015 11:49 pm

I just had the same issue and had to rename the files. There has to be a better way. Anyone?
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

ErdemCakmak

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am

thats very annoying. same issue here :cry:

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 12:47 am

There is detail in the manual about this. Media Page, Media Storage Window, top right three dots (...) option menu. Select "Show Individual Frames".
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

seanross67

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks Peter, is this a new feature? If so, its pretty cryptically placed. But from now on I will feel blessed when I bring in stills.... Hopefully stills will conform better when this option is checked!
Resolve on a iMac Pro 11.6 64gb RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64.
Davinci 17.4.4

Mark_Rodriquez

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 2:09 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:There is detail in the manual about this. Media Page, Media Storage Window, top right three dots (...) option menu. Select "Show Individual Frames".

Yoiu have made me very happy!
Windows 10, 64 Bit
i5-13600K
32GB DDR4 Memory
RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB VRAM

Dennis Lovelady

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 10:26 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:There is detail in the manual about this. Media Page, Media Storage Window, top right three dots (...) option menu. Select "Show Individual Frames".

This doesn't seem to work anymore in DaVinci Resolve 14. For one thing, there is no "Show Individual Frames" in that version, but there is a similar option ("Show all video frames"). However, it doesn't seem to function as described here. My images, named by the camera with names like "DJI_0405.JPG," get combined, even with that selected. Or unselected. Is there a new or different approach that still works similarly?
MacStudio M1 256GB OS: 13.1 Resolve 18.1
iPAD Pro Gen6 1TB, OS: 16.2
Nearest I can determine, the iPAD Resolve version number is not visible

Jean Claude

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 10:51 am

I just tested with Tiff and .jpeg: it works as expected.

Maybe check that there is no interruption in the numbering: incrementation of the number must be = to 1.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Tom Early

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 9:04 am

Dennis Lovelady wrote:

This doesn't seem to work anymore in DaVinci Resolve 14. For one thing, there is no "Show Individual Frames" in that version, but there is a similar option ("Show all video frames").

Yes, there still is 'show individual frames', in the location mentioned above.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Dennis Lovelady

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Tom Early wrote:
Dennis Lovelady wrote:

This doesn't seem to work anymore in DaVinci Resolve 14. For one thing, there is no "Show Individual Frames" in that version, but there is a similar option ("Show all video frames").

Yes, there still is 'show individual frames', in the location mentioned above.

I'm sorry. Of course you're right. But for me, it does not seem to have a function. Regardless whether I set this or not - even if it's a brand new project without any media - it seems to ignore this setting, for me. See attachment that hopefully demonstrates this. What I did, was select New Project, then go to Media / Media Storage, select Show Individual Frames, then CTRL+I to select 7 images, named IMG_2043.JPG, IMG_2044.JPG, et cetera.

Two "clips" were imported instead, combining the "individual frames." What might I be doing wrong?
Attachments
Untitled-Davinci-Project.png
Untitled-Davinci-Project.png (104.87 KiB) Viewed 51667 times

Tom Early

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Unfortunately this option is just for importing via the media storage window, not via the Import Media dialog box (not sure about importing stills via XMLs). So you'll have to locate the relevant media in the media storage window, then either drag them in or right click on them and select 'Add into Media Pool'.

Dennis Lovelady

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Tom Early wrote:Unfortunately this option is just for importing via the media storage window, not via the Import Media dialog box (not sure about importing stills via XMLs). So you'll have to locate the relevant media in the media storage window, then either drag them in or right click on them and select 'Add into Media Pool'.

Thanks, Tom, that actually makes some sense (though I must say there is value in consistency).

I appreciate it; I can simply change the way I do things and not have to worry about all the filename manipulation I've had to do in order to get around this.

I will see if I have any luck with a feature request to make the import dialog also honor that setting. It's a huge pain for the uninitiated (like me).

rgischig

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 1:13 am

Hi Guys,
I'm using DR15 right now, and the same issue is still here. When importing stills, some images (as pointed out earlier) show up as 1 fame in length, and they can not be stretched. This is really annoying.

@DR team, I know I'm using a free version of DR, but still, this is killing me, as I'm mostly a photographer, and not a video artist. Lately I started doing some videos, from timelapse and drone footage, so I like to mix stills and video a lot...

I hope you find a way to get this "fixed" :-)

roman

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 4:45 am

rgischig wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm using DR15 right now, and the same issue is still here. When importing stills, some images (as pointed out earlier) show up as 1 fame in length, and they can not be stretched. This is really annoying.

@DR team, I know I'm using a free version of DR, but still, this is killing me, as I'm mostly a photographer, and not a video artist. Lately I started doing some videos, from timelapse and drone footage, so I like to mix stills and video a lot...

I hope you find a way to get this "fixed" :-)

roman

Roman, i dont see this as broken. You can select to have your Media storage stills treated as individual frames or a sequence of frames as a clip. You select that behaviour. Then drag the stills to the media pool. They will be shown there as individual stills and when placed in the timeline are by default give a clip length which you can set in preferences.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Cave

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 8:47 am

Tom Early wrote:Unfortunately this option is just for importing via the media storage window, not via the Import Media dialog box (not sure about importing stills via XMLs). So you'll have to locate the relevant media in the media storage window, then either drag them in or right click on them and select 'Add into Media Pool'.

DR15 on my Mac works correctly. The three dots menu selection is respected when importing using the file menu.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Uli Plank

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 am

Same here, no problems at all in that respect.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

quantumapprentice

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 7:42 am

I'm not sure what the issue is, but every once in a while, when importing sequential images via drag and drop, resolve will think they're clips and not show an option to view as clips in the dropdown. I usually have to remove those clips and drop them in one by one to fix this issue.

This happened to me randomly today on the most recent version, 15.1, downloaded last month. I'm not sure if this is the intended action for drag and drop, can anybody let me know if I'm supposed to import in a different way to avoid this?

JPHendrix

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 2:35 pm

For those new to DaVinci, here's how to do this:
  • At the bottom of the screen, click the "Media" button, so that you can see "Media Storage" (not "Media Pool") on the top left of your window. You're now in a split screen mode where you can navigate and find media using the top pane, and copy it down to the Media Pool in the bottom pane.
  • In the top pane you'll see the 'three dots', and if you click that, you'll see the 'Show Individual Frames' option. Make sure it's checked.
  • NOW, when you navigate to a folder in the top pane where you have a sequence of shots, each one will be listed there individually.
  • Select them and drag them into the bottom pane, and they will show up individually.

7guavas

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 10:20 am

JPHendrix Anybody thanking him? Thanks a lot man! Such a simple feature and I was having my share of trouble to find it!

Elimelech

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 am

In Studio Resolve 15.2.0.033 when trying to separate consecutively numbered clips the menu "Show Frames" has been replaced by "Show Filmstrip". This transforms the sequence into a clip wherein each original clip becomes a single frame, each frame has a locked duration as set by Preferences. Is there any other method available apart from relabeling the original clips?

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 2:01 am

In the Media Storage (top panel), select "Show Individual Frames" and import individual stills by dragging them to the media pool (below).

The Show filmstrip is a way to preview clips in the list mode - and does not have anything to do with stills

KatCaverly

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm

I had the same issue. I thought I solved the problem by disabling "conform lock enabled" because after that I could expand the still to longer than 1 frame. But whatever I did, when I checked again conform lock was enabled but now a new still added to the media pool and imported into the timeline can be extended too.

Odd behavior indeed, maybe this is all about macOS 10.14.x?
Resolve Studio 18.1.3
macOS 13.3.1
16-core Mac Pro, 256GB RAM, Radeon Pro VII, 1TB SSD
8TB and 4TB OWC Accelsior 4M2 (PCIe) RAID 0
ext drives for backups/data
BMPCC 4K and 6K, UltraStudio 4K Mini, FSI DM240, Mini Panel, Editor Keyboard
Big Knob Studio

Lance Phillips

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 2:08 pm

JPHendrix wrote:For those new to DaVinci, here's how to do this:
  • At the bottom of the screen, click the "Media" button, so that you can see "Media Storage" (not "Media Pool") on the top left of your window. You're now in a split screen mode where you can navigate and find media using the top pane, and copy it down to the Media Pool in the bottom pane.
  • In the top pane you'll see the 'three dots', and if you click that, you'll see the 'Show Individual Frames' option. Make sure it's checked.
  • NOW, when you navigate to a folder in the top pane where you have a sequence of shots, each one will be listed there individually.
  • Select them and drag them into the bottom pane, and they will show up individually.

Thank you JPHendrix for such a well explained solution. I will be definitely be passing this brilliant tip on to anyone who asks. Merry Christmas!
Thanks

Lance Phillips
Blackmagic Design Certified Trainer
www.physicalfolk.org.uk

Dustin Bowser

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 3:27 am

The "Show Individual Frames" toggle doesn't seem to persist when importing folders with images?

Say I'm working on a documentary and I've got 3 folders each with images in them that I don't want to be a sequence. How am I to quickly bring in these folders?

Seems like the only way currently is to actually create a folder in my Media Pool (shouldn't be necessary since the folder already exists) and then drag the images in. And I have to do this for each folder?

Why can I have the Individual Frames option toggled and then drag in my folders? This option should persist, and instead should perhaps be named something more like "Images as sequence" and is either toggled on or off.
System specs:
Fusion Studio version: 16.2 Build 22
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core 3.80 GHz
RAM: 128GB DDR4-3000
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 2080 Ti 11GB x4
Nvidia Driver: 442.19

remoran@parsingdata.com

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 3:28 pm

This problem of importing stills MUST BE RESOLVED. In FCP, stills are simply there. Period. Fix this damn thing now. It's ridiculous! I have two big projects that need to be done and both have stills. What the hell do I do here?

remoran@parsingdata.com

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 3:32 pm

I solved the problem so belay this formerly angry message.

John-Paul Wood

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 11:38 pm

Josh has one post and I'm thankful this was it. Finally, a well-described solution! Thank you!

Ed_Mantle

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 am

John-Paul Wood wrote:Josh has one post and I'm thankful this was it. Finally, a well-described solution! Thank you!

Ha! Right? This took far too much figuring out. But, like other Resolve quirks, once it's figured it's another step on the 'joy to use' road.

Images DB

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks a lot Josh Hendrix for your precious advice!
Works the same way in the new version 16 of da Vinci Resolve.

Frank Engel

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 3:10 pm

For those who are not aware, the standard file format coming out of a film scan (when movies are shot on film rather than digitally) is a sequence of individual frames stored as sequentially numbered image files.

As these are generally more in line with the primary target use cases within Resolve, the default behavior is to recognize this naming pattern and treat the images as a clip. This makes sense.

Unfortunately, digital still image cameras tend to use an equivalent naming convention for the individual shots that are captured, and I don't think many photographers are likely to rename the shots after taking them. As a result, the software can't distinguish between an image sequence from a film scan and the individual images captured by a digital camera.

This is why you need to tell it what you are working with before attempting to import images which are named this way (via that option on the media page).

Mel Matsuoka

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Please be aware that Resolve 16.1.1 continues to have a serious bug related to importing still images with numbers in their file names. The issue affects many areas of Resolve, and not just importing files from the Media Storage panel:

There is a detailed thread discussing this issue here:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/view ... 32&t=97680

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

NickMDal

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 4:24 am

Thank you from the future! People in 2020 are still benefiting from your post. :ugeek:
Resolve Studio 18.6
Win 10 Home (22H2) 19045.2728

ASRock X570 Taichi w/TB3 AIC R2.0
ASUS ProArt PA248QV 24.1
2 Acer 1080p LCDs
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB DDR4
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB

Apple ProRes and ProRes RAW
Lots of fast SSDs

BMD Micro Panel

dariusii

PostTue May 26, 2020 8:50 pm

In 16.2 version that moment was killed. About an old "show individual clips option".
Attachments
Снимок экрана 2020-05-26 в 23.46.37.png
Снимок экрана 2020-05-26 в 23.46.37.png (76.23 KiB) Viewed 27652 times
The losers built Noah's ark. The professionals built the Titanic

xunile

PostWed May 27, 2020 12:09 am

dariusii wrote:In 16.2 version that moment was killed. About an old "show individual clips option".

You have to click on the 3 dots menu on the Media tab, not on the Media Pool.
Attachments
2020-05-26 (6).png
2020-05-26 (6).png (559.06 KiB) Viewed 27633 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Noah Seta

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 2:11 am

As stated above, in "Media Storage" not "Media Pool" you must click the three dots ... and check "Show Individual Frames" BEFORE you import. I didn't show my sequence as individual frames until I deleted it and imported the Jpegs again. Works fine now. Thanks for the info! Would make more sense to put that option on the right click menu for an imported image sequence. That's where I looked first for this solution.

psiclone

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 11:53 pm

I'm using 16.2 and this issue is not only still here, but I cannot fix it even when doing exactly what was stated here. I clicked on Media Tab at the bottom, then in the media pool section on the top left, I clicked the three dots and checked "Show Individual Frames." I go into the Edit Tab at the bottom and drag one of those pngs into the timeline. This worked just fine a few days ago, but now it won't work at all for any of my images.

EDIT 3 August: I managed to fix this, but only by clicking on the track where it says V1, V2, etc. For some reason, clicking on it turned it red and I could place the image into an empty track that way. It doesn't sound like that's intended.

Ed_Mantle

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:48 pm

I haven't checked in software yet, but didn't the latest update (16.2.5) have some update here?

Edit: "Improved listing of numbered still frames in the media pool." Not sure what that entails exactly.

Scotty Why

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 3:56 pm

Man this was annoying. Thanks to everyone who has been contributing to this thread for close to 10 YEARS

So two things I think are creating confusion in fixing this:

#! - You have check "show individual frames" BEFORE you bring in your files. Of course, you don't realize it is a problem until AFTER you bring in your files. Becasue... why the hell would you think a bunch of individual files would import as one big big file until you see it happen. Then naturally you spend a bunch time trying to fix what you already have. So don't waste time - like I did - just delete what you imported and start over.

#2 - When people say "click on the 3 dots"... there is like 75 different places in Resolve where you find "3 dots". In the media tab in particular there are three. And you have two media bins each with "3 dots". Now if I have already imported my files (see #1 above) - why on Earth would I think the "show individual frames" option is in the upper bin where my *external* media is located??

But again, thanks to the guy who posted details about 5 years ago. If you're new to this thread scroll up to the middle, that's where you'll find the answers you seek.
Attachments
ResolveSlideIssue.PNG
ResolveSlideIssue.PNG (82.53 KiB) Viewed 15595 times
DR Studio 18 Win10 22H2
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM
GTX 1660 Super 6GB, Studio driver 31.0.15.3161
OS,Program: 1TB SSD - Media: 1TB SSD - Cache: 1TB SSD

Tom Early

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 7:22 pm

Scotty Why wrote:contributing to this thread for close to 10 YEARS

Since when was 6 years 'close to 10'?

Howard Roll

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 9:02 pm

Tom Early wrote:Since when was 6 years 'close to 10'?

That's what happens when you try and measure time with a dick ruler.

Good Luck

Return to DaVinci Resolve