ATEM Feature Requests

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

vazendak

ATEM Feature Requests

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 5:41 pm

I would love to have the multi-view available on the aux bus. That way i can send it over the USB 3 to my notebook for viewing without the need for a monitor or UltraStudio SDI. I'm usually only doing 2 or 3 lock off shoots with simple transitions so i don't need to see the app to run the show.
Brent Schnarr

Liam Kennedy

Re: ATEM Feature Requests

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Feed the multiview back in to the ATEM on another input. Then set the AUX out to show that camera input.

My head sort of goes in to a time-warp when I think about the consequences of doing this (seems like this should be defying the laws of physics). But it works.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:...My head sort of goes in to a time-warp when I think about the consequences of doing this (seems like this should be defying the laws of physics). But it works.

Hahaha...we've done this too before. And I had the same thoughts going through my head.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Kevin Thompson

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 6:16 am

All I need now is two footswitches
BMD Products:
ATEM Television Studio, Micro Videohub, GPI&Tally
Hyperdeck Studio, Mini Monitor, Mini Recorder
HDMI->SDI Battery Converter (2)
SmartView HD, SmartScope Duo 4K
Ultrastudio 4K, Multidock, MFT BMCC

Dylan Reeve

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 am

Joshua Helling wrote:
Liam Kennedy wrote:...My head sort of goes in to a time-warp when I think about the consequences of doing this (seems like this should be defying the laws of physics). But it works.

Hahaha...we've done this too before. And I had the same thoughts going through my head.

In the days of analogue video this sort of thing could cause serious problems (feedback loops were dangerous) - but with digital there's nothing to worry about really. The signal just goes white at worst usually (or purple or green depending on exactly how the loop is created).

JeffsmithEA

ATEM Multiview Requests

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Since the ATEM is 1-20 inputs,1-4 ME and 1-6 AUX. is there plans to allow the multi view to show more than 8 things? you really can not use the full switcher potential since we can not see it all. I hate "trusting" that a feed or input is working. What is the plan for this?

Trevor Asquerthian

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 am

Dylan Reeve wrote:
In the days of analogue video this sort of thing could cause serious problems (feedback loops were dangerous)

But this is how we lined up for preread :)

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 2:50 am

JeffsmithEA wrote:Since the ATEM is 1-20 inputs,1-4 ME and 1-6 AUX. is there plans to allow the multi view to show more than 8 things? you really can not use the full switcher potential since we can not see it all. I hate "trusting" that a feed or input is working. What is the plan for this?

This would definitely be nice although it's possible there's not enough processing power to do something like a 16 window multiview. One thing some people do is use the SuperSource feature to create an additional 4 window multiview and set this to the ME/2 Preview or Program (this works ok if you don't need to use the SuperSource or ME/2 for something else).

But what I really wish were possible at the very least is being able to assign the large windows in the current multiviewer. Right now they are always fixed to ME/1 and ME/2 Preview & Program, with no ability to change this.

uli peters

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 11:08 am

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:But what I really wish were possible at the very least is being able to assign the large windows in the current multiviewer. Right now they are always fixed to ME/1 and ME/2 Preview & Program, with no ability to change this.

This at least seems to be software only limitation :!:
As I remember it should be possible to change the MV inputs on each window to any source or destination with third party software implementig the ATEM protocol.

Don Helms

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 2:08 pm

I like many others would like a freeze capability on the ATEM. Or black magic come up with an in-line box that will freeze a frame

I know the freeze frame request has been a topic since the first ATEM. Please give users a solution

James Muscat

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 4:51 pm

uli peters wrote:
Dave Del Vecchio wrote:But what I really wish were possible at the very least is being able to assign the large windows in the current multiviewer. Right now they are always fixed to ME/1 and ME/2 Preview & Program, with no ability to change this.

This at least seems to be software only limitation :!:
As I remember it should be possible to change the MV inputs on each window to any source or destination with third party software implementig the ATEM protocol.

Correct, third-party software is able to assign the main windows in the same way as the rest of the multiviewer windows.

Kingsley Foreman

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 11:18 am

two things,

1. freeze frame

2. ability to easily have multiple super sources, with keyframeable scene changes. It can be done using third party tools (sort off) but it would be good to do it using something like macros.

uli peters

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 pm

1) Update the "GPI- and Tally-Interface" Firmware to trigger ATEM Macros 1-8 / 9-16 on GPI contact.
2) Allow to place any input and output on any Multiviewer window.
3) Make Multiviewers routable to any Aux output
4) Implement "Capture Frame to Still Store" functionality
5) Allow sending multiple audio sources to monitor out at the same time (mix them).

MarkThewessen

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 6:25 pm

+1 for the freeze frame option. putting a roland in line just to have that option feels a bit weird when having a full size mixer in front of you.

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 2:19 pm

So I've lost track of how many times I've asked for this function, but here we go again.

This applies especially to the new Constellation 8K, but I feel all ATEM would benefit...

***I would like the audio associated with the Aux Outputs to have an option to pass the original embedded audio channels of the source.***

A simple toggle from how it works now, to the original source audio would be a tremendous capability boost esp. for smaller setups were the ATEM is the main/only hub for signals. Many of us have need to ISO record the original source and this just makes it easier in a small setup.

In the case of the Constellation, you can't POSSIBLY think that the ATEM mixer audio-which many of us won't even use-will be the appropriate audio 24 times over.

This simple function will open up SO much more functionality in an already good piece of gear. As usual, thanks for listening.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 2:31 pm

While I'm at it :-) here's another feature I've asked for again, and again, and again....

***PLEASE enable the internal ATEM mixer to mix more than a single stereo mix. ***

I know you boys are all about the picture (8K woo hoo) but who in their right mind things that an 8K production would be happy with anything less than a 5.1 soundtrack? Who else here needs multiple mixes to accommodate a full mix/international mix scenario (EVERY sports network requires this). Who else here just wants multiple mixes to feed talent IFB/record ISO/2nd language mix/etc. Seriously, the Constellation is now capable of mixing over 100 input stems, yet can only output 2 tracks of mixed sound.

Once you add a few subgroups and aux mix busses (pre or post fader please), like every other mixer you can buy at Guitar Center...how about making the Constellation MADI outputs **ROUTABLE** so we can get these mixes out of the ATEM and into the hardware it needs to feed?? If your are worried about making it too complicated don't-anyone who knows what to do with your MADI connections will be able to figure it out and happy to find it working my way. The current setup REQUIRES us to use both MADI to get 4ch from sources--many boards only have one port...

The Constellation at least seems to have PLENTY of horsepower to make all of this happen under the hood. Perhaps you just need a real audio guru to guide your coders? (hint hint) As usual, thanks for listening.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

marc.colemont

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 2:35 pm

+1 for Freeze output / input
+1 for audio routing on the outputs

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 5:59 pm

I second Greg at both requests!!

Aux outputs that are routed from a source should be able to have original audio instead of replaced audio from the PGM bus. ( i would think that would even be easier to keep the existing audio instead of replacing the audio.. As it would be a simple route from > to. )

Also i really hope this "Most advanced audio mixer we ever created" will be able to embed more then stereo PGM mix into the PGM output. Because we always want to have more audio channels like a clean sub arrangements of audio that is mixed into the PGM. like:
PGM mixdown
Clean band / DJ mix
Live audience microphones
presenter / studio audio
Voiceover / commentator
Etc.
This because sometimes for external purposes you do not want to have a commentator talking over your video feed, or record all these audio subgroups and adjust the mix afterwards in post because you have too much or to less live audio or you don't need the studio presenter talking.

This is one of the most important features in broadcast audio. To embed multiple audio layers under your video.
If i want to do this now i need a rack full of Teranex 12G embedders to add 2 channels at a time.. :roll: :roll:

Looking at that the Atem will be able to run 8K. I think it has enough power to do some more advanced audio embedding, expecially if i'm not using all SDI input channels.

What i also reallly would like to see if the ability to make a MV for 1 source. ( i know that sounds strange.. But what about this> ) Instead of the grid, just 1 source full screen. This would allow you to run the Atem in 4K mode. 4MV outputs in HD mode. And have a PGM output in HD for full screen monitoring. (As we do not have a HD down convert output anymore on these Atem 8K models)
Should not be a very hard option to do as you already can change it to a 4 channel MV. Why not a 1 screen full HD version? ;) Which would also fix if the user want it to enable you a PGM HD output.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Aux outputs that are routed from a source should be able to have original audio instead of replaced audio from the PGM bus.

If I need to record original AUDIO from camera, im sending to hyperdeck an direct copy output from VIDEOHUB .. Replaced audio on AUX is really great for recording Cameras with embeded PGM audio .. I have not microphones on cameras , so for postproduction is great option to record all cameras (I have 6 in OBVAN) with the same PGM sound for synchronisation ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 11:11 am

Roman you forget that timecode already syncs all decks and much more accurate. ;)

But you could spare out a Videohub 40x40 12G in some setups because of the 40x input and 24x output. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Brett Casadonte

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:33 pm

marc.colemont wrote:+1 for Freeze output / input
+1 for audio routing on the outputs

Two more +1 from me... especially audio routing and being able to mix more than 2 channels..
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

uli peters

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 9:00 am

Integrate and make Video Waveform (from Aux), Histogram (from Aux), Vectorscope (from Aux), Loudness-Meter/Plot (from PGM) and large Timecode-Display available as internal video sources (that can be routed to Multiviewer or Aux Output).

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am

Large timecode / Clock as video source would be an great addition!! :)

Ian Morrish

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 1:47 am

At least they have added the ability to disable Midi control :-)
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 3:56 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Large timecode / Clock as video source would be an great addition!! :)

Clock is eazy enough to do with a Raspberry Pi. $35, run browser and clocktab.com, force output to ATEM resolution, $30 hdmi>sdi converter. Works incredibly well... timecode is a great idea tho
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 7:32 am

Yes the RPI would work.. But the issue is we have changing resolutions all the time in our setups.. And putting a Decimator in between just to fix the resolution was not really what we wanted.. #$300DollarClockGenerator :lol:
Anyway with the new auto scaling features this is something of the past.. While i still would like to see this on our 4ME as well ;)

Finally able to disable that midi function.. So many people will be happy.. I think this feature request was floating around since the Audio mixer was implemented into the Atem back in 2012 :lol: :lol: :lol:

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 7:37 pm

so just change the rez on the RPi, easy to do...i don't use a decimator with mine...hell at $35/ea buy one for each rez you use :lol:
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Jack Fairley

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 12:27 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Large timecode / Clock as video source would be an great addition!! :)

+1
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu May 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Roman you forget that timecode already syncs all decks and much more accurate. ;)

how can I send same timecode to hyperdecks ?
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Deliard

PostMon May 20, 2019 1:20 pm

I will jump on the thread as it's quite trending.

I would love to have the ability for ATEM to remember state that CUT was when shut down.
What i mean is that when you are using Keyboard for mixing or in case of mine if you have made 10 buttons custom "keyboard" to use as cut bus you have to click CTRL every time when you restart mixer, which in case of inputs only keyboard is impossible, and has to be done remotely.

I would love to see option like:
Default Number Keys Switching Behavior:
⚫Program
⚪Preview

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 21, 2019 9:27 am

Roman Pytkin Pekarek wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:Roman you forget that timecode already syncs all decks and much more accurate. ;)

how can I send same timecode to hyperdecks ?

Using the PGM and OAUX outputs of the Atem. On all outputs of the Atem is the SAME Timecode embedded. ;)

Evan Vickers

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 4:59 pm

Ian Morrish wrote:At least they have added the ability to disable Midi control :-)

Which version of the ATEM software is that on? I just had MIDI royally screw over a live recording for the first time this week.

Ian Morrish

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 1:37 am

V8
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Joris Robijn

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 pm

- Have all incoming (or at least 2) embedded audio channels available over AES67 or Dante, and:
- Have all outgoing embedded audio channels (PGM and AUX) available as outputs over AES67 or Dante.
The latter would also allow to record raw recordings of (analog/embedded) inputs from the mixer in SDI, to later make a different mix.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Joris Robijn wrote:- Have all incoming (or at least 2) embedded audio channels available over AES67 or Dante, and:
- Have all outgoing embedded audio channels (PGM and AUX) available as outputs over AES67 or Dante.
The latter would also allow to record raw recordings of (analog/embedded) inputs from the mixer in SDI, to later make a different mix.

Forget Dante integration! If they want that they need proprietary Dante hardware inside the mixer. Adding around $250/350 to the end price. (Dante licensing doesn't come cheap and is not yet be done in FPGA as Dante does not give sources. Only delivers chips for Dante. ;) )

Brett Casadonte

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 11:22 am

+1 for Dante integration... I would happily pay the extra $$ for this..
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

rogersuski

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 6:42 pm

Actually, Audinate *might* allow the code to run on other chips. I heard a rep talk about that at a vendor mixer last week at InfoCOMM, but never made it over to their booth. Evidently, they're going to/did announce something last Friday about this new ability.
That's a pretty major risk they're taking. Hope it works out for them.

TEAM-mpa-domi

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 8:59 am

+1 for the freeze frame option.

Return to Live Production