Sneak preview: BMPCC4K ergonomic Bluetooth grip

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ruben de Boer

PostTue May 07, 2019 9:50 pm

Allright folks, I have some good news. In a couple of weeks I will launch a pre-order page for a BMPCC4K ergonomic Bluetooth grip! I've teamed up with Csaba Nagy to create a rec/stop triggered grip that will connect to the BMPCC4K via bluetooth. It's powered through a LEMO plug on the bottom of the grip (customer can choose D-Tap, USB, USB-C, DC for the other end).

What you get:
- Rec/stop functionality for the BMPCC4K in a sleek package;
- Wireless connected to the BMPCC4K (but you need a power cord);
- Can use with a gimbal as well, as long as it's within a few meters and you can power the grip;
- The grip itself is super comfortable made of walnut wood in the style of Aaton / ErgoCine / Kinogrip / Movigrip;
- Finished with beeswax/linseed oil for a comfortable hold (1000 times more comfortable to hold than lacquered grips - which most Chinese grips are);
- Available in 2 sizes;
- Available with long or short "support" piece;
- Available as a LEFT or RIGHT hand grip;
- As means of warranty / service I will exchange the microchip for free (in the first year, and after that for cost price).

You can check out my other designs at http://www.elementgear.eu so you know what you can expect. In the second attached (mockup) picture you will see an aluminium plate with the rosette that will house the microcontroller. It's still in the design stage, but you'll get an idea what to expect.

Price will be around € 400 or so. Availability will be EXTREMELY limited (max. 25 pieces) as they are all CNC machined in tiny batched at a local fablab, and finished by hand. Each grip takes me multiple hours to make and they are all made with lots of love :D

If you're interested please keep on the lookout here on this site, or PM me so you're the first to get the pre-order link. After the pre-order period (probably two weeks) the grips are made and shipped within a month or so.

triggeredgrip1.jpg
triggeredgrip1.jpg (151.44 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

backside.png
backside.png (296.59 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

rick.lang

PostWed May 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Because you want to differentiate your work of art from those who are going to offer lacquered cheap wood or plastic at a fraction of the price. Hand-rubbed walnut will look and feel so good.

Can we post a brief demo film with the prototype on the camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Ruben de Boer

Re: Sneak preview: BMPCC4K ergonomic Bluetooth grip

PostWed May 08, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for chiming in, folks! To answer your question: I will launch this product first. If there's a lot of interest for a "box with a trigger" I will think about it.

What I have is a bit more nice, maybe, but it's really for those who want a proper (REAL proper) grip for the BMPCC4k. (Like Rick said, not a cheap lacquered grip.)

So yeah, I'll keep you all posted :-)

rick.lang

PostWed May 08, 2019 9:08 pm

I see what you mean. I was primarily thinking in terms of the grip functionality not the Bluetooth capability. There’s room for both approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

ricardo marty

PostWed May 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Ruben de Boer wrote:Thanks for chiming in, folks! To answer your question: I will launch this product first. If there's a lot of interest for a "box with a trigger" I will think about it.

What I have is a bit more nice, maybe, but it's really for those who want a proper (REAL proper) grip for the BMPCC4k. (Like Rick said, not a cheap lacquered grip.)

So yeah, I'll keep you all posted :-)

It looks great. But I Need the other type. Can you add focus button also?

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Ruben de Boer

PostSat May 11, 2019 9:24 pm

...working on it 8-)
Had numerous requests for a simple box with a start/stop button. I will be making this also. Hopefully next week the software-side is complete so the hardware stage can begin.

Give me a few weeks and I'll have a finished product to ship out!

guysmilez

PostSat May 18, 2019 5:21 am

I understand the reasoning to make a grip but the only reason i need a bluetooth run start/stop is for gimbal work where I would like to have my AC be able to roll. All i need is the smallest button that would connect through bluetooth that i could put on my AC monitor rig.

I am starting to look into this myself using the bluetooth examples on the support page and my basic understanding of coding. but i would gladly pay for the device or information to get started with a list of parts.

Would you guys be willing to create or share info on how to do this? Over $400 bucks is pretty steep though.

ricardo marty

PostThu May 23, 2019 6:35 pm

guysmilez wrote:I understand the reasoning to make a grip but the only reason i need a bluetooth run start/stop is for gimbal work where I would like to have my AC be able to roll. All i need is the smallest button that would connect through bluetooth that i could put on my AC monitor rig.

I am starting to look into this myself using the bluetooth examples on the support page and my basic understanding of coding. but i would gladly pay for the device or information to get started with a list of parts.

Would you guys be willing to create or share info on how to do this? Over $400 bucks is pretty steep though.

He just presented one.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91829

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

guysmilez

PostThu May 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Yeah I saw on FB. Tbh I’m still really disappointed about the price.

Return to Cinematography