Decklink HD Extreme 2 (no input/output)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Mark Chafe

Decklink HD Extreme 2 (no input/output)

PostThu May 16, 2019 9:04 pm

Hello All,

I have a "Decklink HD Extreme 2" pci-e capture card. I cannot get a response from any video input or output. I have tried a couple of systems now, one with Windows 7 and Windows 10. The most success I've gotten is stepping back to Desktop Video 7.9.4 and 9.8 with Windows 7, which displays a 4:3 NTSC black image on the output, however still no video capture on any input. Also when booting, strange colour patterns are shown on the output. This seems to be random video noise and turns to 4:3 NTSC black once the driver has loaded. When I try to change the output from NTSC to any other format, my video monitor looses sync every few seconds.

Is this card faulty or maybe a corrupt firmware? I have tried installing Desktop Video 7.9.4, 9.8, 10.1.1 and 11.1. Versions 10.1.1 and 11.1 do not detect the card at all in Device Manager or Desktop Video utility. I'm curious if this could be fixed with a firmware upgade, but none of the versions I have installed asked me to update.

Any help or just confirmation would be great.

Thanks

Dave Johnstone

Re: Decklink HD Extreme 2 (no input/output)

PostFri May 17, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi,

If this is the old card from 2006 then I had similar issues on Linux - see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60737&p=351579#p351579

I found it would silently fail on Desktop Video versions of 10 or greater but BMD assured me it would work. However they couldn’t find a card to test against.

Regards,

Dave.
Freelance Television Broadcast Engineer
and Software Programmer.

Mark Chafe

PostSat May 18, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi Dave,

Well sounds similar at least. It's from 2008 so a little bit newer, but probably same vintage. It's BMDPC851 REV. D.

At least in linux with Desktop Video 10+ (v4+ kernel) it will detect the card in the system in terminal, but won't load the driver. In Windows 7 & 10, with 10+, it wont even install the driver and sits in "other devices" in device manager, so similar behavior.

Just for a laugh I'll try Windows XP and the oldest driver I can find. I don't mind having to use a specific version or something as it's for our church webcasts and probably would not be able to get a replacement for a while, at least not HD.

Ah well, what I get for buying on ebay and not checking it in time.

just a side note, has anyone received firmware updates for their BMD products? It's nice to see they go out of their way to advertise how to do them, but I haven't received any for the products I've had, unless I'm just lucky or not.

Thanks for the info.

Dave Johnstone wrote:Hi,

If this is the old card from 2006 then I had similar issues on Linux - see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60737&p=351579#p351579

I found it would silently fail on Desktop Video versions of 10 or greater but BMD assured me it would work. However they couldn’t find a card to test against.

Regards,

Dave.

Dave Johnstone

PostMon May 20, 2019 11:26 pm

Hi Mark,

If you use the driver which gives you NTSC black, what happens if you input the same format? If the card is working, it will pass the input signal to the output but they MUST be the same standard. The DesktopVideo application should tell you which input is selected (composite/component/SDI/HDMI) and allow you to change it. If that test works you can try changing standards.

Regards,

Dave.
Freelance Television Broadcast Engineer
and Software Programmer.

Return to Post Production