Camera 6.4 Update

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Camera 6.4 Update

PostMon May 27, 2019 7:12 am

Today we released Blackmagic Camera 6.4 Update which adds some much anticipated new features to the Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converters as well as updates for the Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 and Blackmagic URSA Viewfinders.

Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter has new status displays on the 5" screen which makes it quick and easy to scroll through camera and return inputs, enabling you to check your audio levels, see diagnostic information at a glance and check your power and fiber connections. Adding menus allows you to easily adjust audio levels for headset and microphone gain, control PTZ and configure talkback for production and engineering channels. There’s also the added ability to use program audio feed as source from the DB25 connector.

Included are also new features for Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 plus updated G2 support for Blackmagic URSA Viewfinder and URSA Studio Viewfinder.

What’s new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.4

New features for Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter and Camera Fiber Converter

• Add menu to Studio Fiber Converter.
• Add audio meters to Studio Fiber Converter.
• Add ability to adjust Camera Fiber Converter XLR input levels.
• Add ability to use program audio feed as source from DB25 connector.
• Add ability to adjust levels for headset gain and microphone gain.
• Add PTZ de-embedding from ATEM via SDI Camera Control Protocol.
• Add ability to configure talkback for production & engineering channels.

New features for URSA Mini Pro G2

• Retain jam synced timecode after power cycle.
• Improved jam sync timecode accuracy after playback.
• Improved HDR SDI metadata support.
• Improved pixel recalibration.
• Improved door LED behaviour on low battery.
• Improved clip playback for renamed clips.
• Improved EF lens metadata support.
• Fixed still capture to slow media cards.
• Fixed audio playback at 23.98, 29.97 and 59.94 fps.
• Fixed XLR gains resetting after power cycle.
• General performance and stability improvements.

New features for URSA Viewfinder

• Improved support for URSA Mini Pro G2 built in LUT’s.
• Improved overlays when used with URSA Mini Pro G2.
• Improved UI elements for drop frame timecode.
• Improved UI elements for URSA Mini Pro G2 USB-C record.
• Improved iris readout.
• Fixed record dot bug with status display.

New features for URSA Studio Viewfinder

• Improved support for URSA Mini Pro G2 built in LUT’s.
• Improved overlays when used with URSA Mini Pro G2.

No new features in 6.4 for other camera models.

Matt Certa

Re: Camera 6.4 Update

PostTue May 28, 2019 3:49 pm

TY for the update.

Will there be a future camera update to allow the Com audio level adjustments from the camera operator? Or is that not possible since the fiber back and the camera are only passing video data back and forth? Im envisioning having to go behind my racks to tweak levels for each cam operator. But if thats what it is then thats what it is.

JimmySpets

PostTue May 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Ia the issue with not passing data from the Arduino shield solved?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Unfortunately not but we are aware of the bug and are looking into it from both the Fiber Converter and Shield for Arduino side.

Tobias Dieterich

PostWed May 29, 2019 12:38 am

Had somebody already a chance to test if all issues with 4-wire connections are fixed (sidetone, feedback, ...)?
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 29, 2019 11:21 am

Sidetone has not changed yet, I am in the process of getting a set to run a full set of tests with. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Patrick Zagury

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 7:50 pm

I could use some assistance.

I have 4 Ursa Mini Pro cameras connected to a Talkback Converter 4K into an ATEM Production Studio 4K.
The ATEM is getting LTC timecode from a TC generator. I was hoping to be able to get TC back to all cameras using the new feature. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get TC out of the ATEM at all.
I also have 4 Hyperdeck studio decks getting TC through XLR connectors directly from the TC generators and THEY also don't see any TC coming in. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here but I'd love to get some help resolving this.

Matt Certa

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Im finding it impossible to connect to my Broadcast cameras with a Windows machine on this update. Yes I know there isnt new firmware, but the software doesnt recognize them even though the PC does.

Are the Power and data connection lights on the CCU and cameras supposed to correspond? Im seeing green across the board on the CCU, only to a red light on the camera for data. And in that instance camera signal is reaching the CCU but the return lines are not.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 12:58 am

Does your Program Return 1 have the same frame rate that the camera is sending out? You need to match these. The second and third returns can be whatever you want but for it to play nicely with an URSA Broadcast on 5.1 you will need to send the same frame rate into Return 1 that you are sending out from the URSA.

ergahi gulbitti

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 8:32 am

i have an ultra mini pro 4.6k,
Available in version 6.2,
does not upgrade to new version (6.4)

please help me
thanks

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 4:34 pm

You'll see from the information that is available in the Read More section of the download as well as from Tim's post above that there is no update for other products in this line other than what is mentioned.
Tim Schumann wrote:No new features in 6.4 for other camera models.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Patrick Zagury

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:Does your Program Return 1 have the same frame rate that the camera is sending out? You need to match these. The second and third returns can be whatever you want but for it to play nicely with an URSA Broadcast on 5.1 you will need to send the same frame rate into Return 1 that you are sending out from the URSA.

Hi Tim.
I'm not sure if you were answering my earlier post.

My workflow is Camera to Talkback Converter. Talkback Converter into Multiview 16. Multiview 16 into ATEM Production Studio 4K. Separate LTC is sent to XLR TC IN of the ATEM. ATEM Program Out is sent back to the Talkback Converter. Return from the camera converter to SDI in of the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K.
I updated the cameras to the latest firmware hoping to see TC coming in on the Program in. No such luck.
Any clue as to what could be wrong? Is there a firmware I should've loaded on the Talkback Converter or the ATEM?

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 2:34 am

Certainly worth checking that the ATEM Production Studio 4K, Talkback Converter and Multiview are on the latest software. Once you have done this, try sending Program return via SDI directly from the ATEM into the camera. It should detect the Timecode automatically.

When your camera has locked to external timecode you will see an 'EXT' icon appear on the top left of the timecode readout which lives in the top middle of the heads up display on the LCD. Tap the numbers to toggle it between duration and timecode readout. On the outside of the camera on the small 2" status display just press the 'TIMECODE' button briefly to toggle between timecode and duration for that readout.

pederdingo

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:34 pm

I finally had the guts to update to 6.4
- the audio is much louder in the headphones and quite usable.

And I haven't had the connectivity problems others describe on the forum.
Even though there is a few more things on my wishlist, this is a very welcome upgrade.

Patrick Zagury

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:Certainly worth checking that the ATEM Production Studio 4K, Talkback Converter and Multiview are on the latest software. Once you have done this, try sending Program return via SDI directly from the ATEM into the camera. It should detect the Timecode automatically.

When your camera has locked to external timecode you will see an 'EXT' icon appear on the top left of the timecode readout which lives in the top middle of the heads up display on the LCD. Tap the numbers to toggle it between duration and timecode readout. On the outside of the camera on the small 2" status display just press the 'TIMECODE' button briefly to toggle between timecode and duration for that readout.

Hi Tim.
I updated all hardware to the latest firmware.
Connecting the Program Out directly to the camera Program Return does indeed show TC.
Unfortunately, connecting the camera through the Talkback Converter does not. Seems like the Talkback Converter strips the TC.
Can you report this as a bug so we can get a fix? This is a very needed feature.

Patrick Zagury

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Is there anyone that could double check my findings? Anyone with a talkback converter that can cross check whether this strips the embedded timecode off the SDI Program return stream?

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 2:50 pm

The talkback converter strips a lot of the original signal.. It also replaces the Talkback audio when you using a 2me or 4me switcher. And this can not be de-activated.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Patrick Zagury

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The talkback converter strips a lot of the original signal.. It also replaces the Talkback audio when you using a 2me or 4me switcher. And this can not be de-activated.

Thanks. I could not care less about the Talkback Audio personally as it is not part of our work flow. We use RTS PL for this purpose. But stripping timecode is a real bug as how are we supposed to sync cameras otherwise. The 6.2 update was brilliant in that respect, but for sure we need to handle the stripping aspect.

@Tim Shumann, can we hope for an update which handles that? Otherwise I'm looking at getting an SDI splitter to feed the cameras and I have no confidence that the embedded TC will make it to the camera end!

Thomas Chatelet

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 9:18 am

Hello everyone!

Is the Ethernet port of the Camera/Studio Fiber Converter is activated yet?
If not, would you have a road map of a firmware update that would enable it soon to share?
It would be so powerful to see this feature finally working.

Thank you very much.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 am

Thomas Chatelet wrote:Hello everyone!

Is the Ethernet port of the Camera/Studio Fiber Converter is activated yet?
If not, would you have a road map of a firmware update that would enable it soon to share?
It would be so powerful to see this feature finally working.

Thank you very much.

No it is not. And BMD does not do roadmaps.. So just wait it out and hopefully in the future there will be an update that will activate it. ;)

Thomas Chatelet

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:BMD does not do roadmaps...

Yeah, I know. And yet, there is no harm to keep on trying... ;)

Anyway, thanks for your answer!

IsseSwe

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 10:52 pm

"Add PTZ de-embedding from ATEM via SDI Camera Control Protocol"

What does this do?
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 1:22 pm

IsseSwe wrote:"Add PTZ de-embedding from ATEM via SDI Camera Control Protocol"

What does this do?

This only applies to the Fiber Camera Converter. There is a PTZ 9pin connector on that unit. And this will spit out VISCA ptz control data. ( This can be handy if you have a BIG ptz head that allows VISCA control. and is heavy enough to take a URSA camera. ;)

IsseSwe

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 4:24 am

Xtreemtec wrote:
IsseSwe wrote:"Add PTZ de-embedding from ATEM via SDI Camera Control Protocol"

What does this do?

This only applies to the Fiber Camera Converter. There is a PTZ 9pin connector on that unit. And this will spit out VISCA ptz control data. ( This can be handy if you have a BIG ptz head that allows VISCA control. and is heavy enough to take a URSA camera. ;)

lol you know these thing better then BM does ffs :-P
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

YAL_YAL

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 9:18 am

Hello there,

Any news of the upcoming FW for URSA Broadcast announced on IBC 2019?

Also, Is it normal for the URSA with Fiber Back not being able to give out power from the D-Tap socket? I've tried with a simple on camera light and didn't work at all.

Thanks, Xavier V.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 3:11 am

YAL_YAL wrote:Hello there,

Any news of the upcoming FW for URSA Broadcast announced on IBC 2019?

Also, Is it normal for the URSA with Fiber Back not being able to give out power from the D-Tap socket? I've tried with a simple on camera light and didn't work at all.

Thanks, Xavier V.

6.7 is not far away. We are working to get it out ASAP.

Regarding your other question, the Camera Fiber Converter will send power from the D-Tap out when powered from SMPTE Fiber. It won't send anything out of it when the Camera Fiber Converter is being powered solely from the camera's 12V power supply via 4-pin XLR.

YAL_YAL

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 am

Hi there Tim,

Thanks for your feedback.

We were being powered from the SMPTE and we couldn't get power from that socket. Are there any issues known about this plug?

Thanks, Xavier V

Patrick Zagury

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 1:41 am

Patrick Zagury wrote:I could use some assistance.

I have 4 Ursa Mini Pro cameras connected to a Talkback Converter 4K into an ATEM Production Studio 4K.
The ATEM is getting LTC timecode from a TC generator. I was hoping to be able to get TC back to all cameras using the new feature. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get TC out of the ATEM at all.
I also have 4 Hyperdeck studio decks getting TC through XLR connectors directly from the TC generators and THEY also don't see any TC coming in. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here but I'd love to get some help resolving this.

I feel I should write this: The recent upgrade to the Converter software fixes this bug. Timecode is now passed through the Talkback Converter. Thank you for listening!

Return to Live Production