[BUG / missing] Cut Page middle-mouse navigation

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jed Mitchell

[BUG / missing] Cut Page middle-mouse navigation

PostSun May 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Middle mouse drag-scrolling navigation does not work on the Cut page timeline.

Pretty simple to describe: you can navigate the timeline on the Edit page with middle-mouse dragging but not on the Cut page.

Was also missing in 16b1 -- hopefully this isn't a design choice? I can't think what benefit there could be for dropping that behavior.
"It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it."

Systems:
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x RTX Titan | 960Pro cache disk
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x 2080 Ti | 660p cache disk

kinvermark

Re: [BUG / missing] Cut Page middle-mouse navigation

PostSun May 12, 2019 8:54 pm

I think it is by design.

Expectation is that you just use the left mouse button to click and drag the timeline headers (mini & zoomed).
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Jed Mitchell

PostTue May 14, 2019 5:10 pm

kinvermark wrote:I think it is by design.

It might be, but that would be baffling to me. By that logic, why would Resolve support middle-mouse drag navigation anywhere? Left-click dragging the playhead on the Cut Page & middle-click dragging the timeline area (a la the Edit Page timeline) would result in the exact same behavior.

The primary purpose of drag navigation is for tablet users to be able to work quickly (I'm sure some mouse users want it too): having to left-click small objects or fields is very tedious with a tablet, gestures starting from bigger UI areas are much, much faster because they come from the elbow or shoulder. My top speed with a tablet vs. anyone else I've worked with using a mouse is quite different -- if the interface is designed with both users in mind...

You could make the argument that nobody should care about UX for tablet users because we're a relatively small group, but anyone coming from Flame, Scratch, Nuke, Mystika, any 3D environment, or the myriad compositors, motion graphics artists, etc. BMD is trying to support now will really miss those UX features. Hell, even Adobe supports tablet-friendly input in some places (inconsistently of course...).

I feel like the crazy person trying to push for better tablet UX in Resolve, but I try, every year...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88857&start=50#p499652

Systems:

Mark Grgurev

PostThu May 30, 2019 9:02 pm

Jed Mitchell wrote:I feel like the crazy person trying to push for better tablet UX in Resolve, but I try, every year...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88857&start=50#p499652

While I'm not a tablet user, I agree that Resolve should try to make it's UI more tablet friendly especially when it doesn't at all effect it's usability with a mouse as is the case with draggable timelines.

Fusion especially feels like it could be made very usable with a tablet. I have no idea how many people would get use out of that but someone might be working on a Surface or something and forgot their mouse at home. I'm sure they would much prefer working with touch at that point then having to get buy a mouse or not work at all.

Jed Mitchell

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 5:22 am

Mark Grgurev wrote:I have no idea how many people would get use out of that but someone might be working on a Surface or something and forgot their mouse at home.

I should clarify that by "tablet UX" I mean for a Wacom tablet, not a touch-screen device like a Surface -- not that there's anything wrong with designing for that, but it's a much harder problem to solve (see: 10 years of semi-successful Windows 8/10 touch UX...) and there's less incentive to use something like that in Resolve because touch-enabled devices are rarely performance oriented.

A very large number of compositors coming from Fusion are tablet (Wacom) users though, and at least a vocal minority of colorists too. Doing roto & paint with a mouse feels... painful. And when you're already holding a stylus, it would be nice if the UI could accommodate that. I'm not expecting the crazy gesture navigation in something like Mystika:

https://cdn.redsharknews.com/images/Mis ... stures.jpg

but little things like large-area middle mouse dragging, single click numerical entry, drag-based zooming, etc. are all very nice to have and don't interfere with normal mouse interaction.

The Resolve UX is kind of silly at this point -- every page has different interaction behaviors, sometimes panel-by-panel. As with a lot of Resolve since 12.5, I think the design team could use a year with a feature freeze to just clean house (after getting a nice vacation to reboot from the sprint they've been on).

Systems:

Return to DaVinci Resolve