DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests list

• Author

Drakulica

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests list

PostThu May 30, 2019 8:35 am

Suport for custom maping for 3rd party panels (like tangent)

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu May 30, 2019 1:17 pm

Drakulica wrote:Suport for custom maping for 3rd party panels (like tangent)

This is not going to happen.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

ricardo marty

PostThu May 30, 2019 4:57 pm

GregoryBennett wrote:Ability to work with ProRes RAW files.

I'm sure this will happen as soon as FCPX adopts Braw

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Trensharo

PostFri May 31, 2019 12:17 am

ricardo marty wrote:
GregoryBennett wrote:Ability to work with ProRes RAW files.

I'm sure this will happen as soon as FCPX adopts Braw

Ricardo Marty

Apple doesn't have to pay to license BRAW, and they aren't in the camera hardware market... The difference the two NLEs find themselves in, regarding those CODECs, couldn't be more stark.

Apple doesn't need permission to add BRAW. They could add it tomorrow and the only cost would be the time and resources they had to allocate to implement and develop the features necessary for it to happen.

Trensharo

PostFri May 31, 2019 12:20 am

jameslee03 wrote:I'd love to see a piano roll and proper midi tracks for music composition in Fairlight. That along with Asio support and I'd never have to leave Resolve!

It would probably take half a decade (or more) to get Fairlight up to the point where it could reliably replace DAWs like Pro Tools, Cubase/Nuendo, Samplitude/Sequoia, Pyramix, Digital Performer, etc... even if they put in those 3 things tomorrow. Assuming the competition stands still (and they aren't). Especially for people who record Audio from live instruments. The Audio Editing in Fairlight is pretty rubbish, by comparison (and no offense intended).

Those are incredibly deep, industry focused, products with incredibly workflow advantages for many people. Once you get used to them, it is very hard to "settle" for Fairlight. I will export AAFs all day long, no problem.

Fairlight is absolutely the weakest page in Resolve, for me, at this point. Only mildly attractive - and mostly because of "what could be [in the future]," not necessarily what's actually there now.

Richard Dean

PostFri May 31, 2019 5:35 am

Editing page requests.

The Take Sector doesn't allow multicam clips to come in as additional takes. It would be great if that could be incorporated. I'm trying to edit a 2 camera scene and would like to retain the synced cams and be able to use the take selector to choose best performance.

Also it would be helpful to to be able to cross toggle enable clip - i.e. one clip is set to enabled while the clip on the track below is disabled. I'd like to be able to select both tracks (one is on one is off) and by hitting D the "off" clip is now on and the "on" is now off. Right now the behavior doesn't effect the off clip until the next time I hit D, which turns it on.

KevsterZA

PostFri May 31, 2019 8:56 am

Trensharo wrote:Fairlight is absolutely the weakest page in Resolve, for me, at this point. Only mildly attractive - and mostly because of "what could be [in the future]," not necessarily what's actually there now.

Coming from the audio world myself, I tend to agree. Having said that, though, I really don't think Fairlight is ever intended to be, or should aim at being, a music creation DAW (the creation of sound effects... maybe). Like you said BM would be playing catch up forever and never get there.

But... in my mind what it SHOULD be aimed at is being a fantastic post production environment - mixing and mastering audio to video and film. And there it can still do a lot better in terms of plugin management, grouping, automation etc. I find it incredibly clunky to work with the array of plugins I have collected over time, which severely impacts any but the most basic audio-related tasks. And why-o-why am I not able to change the order of effects?! The onboard effects are pretty decent, but a post production engineer would have their own tools that extend quite a bit further than the onboard effects. So VST management really needs to be looked at
www.owlmusic.co.za
Gear: Windows 10 i7, MSI 1050 Ti GPU, 16 gig ram. Burl Audio B16

Trensharo

PostFri May 31, 2019 10:50 am

I think others want the music stuff for scoring, etc. Also, you can do sound design with some Synths in a DAW. There are Cinematic Soundscape synths for this.

I think with the way its baked into Resolve, it's not a great idea to add this stuff in.

You don't want to waste CPU on unnecessary stuff while composing film scores with dozens of tracks, anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KevsterZA

PostFri May 31, 2019 11:40 am

Trensharo wrote:I think others want the music stuff for scoring, etc. ....

Ok, makes sense. But also agreed that to be editing and scoring at the same time in the same environment is going to overtax the computer. Better to take the visual into a separate DAW for composition and intricate sound design.
www.owlmusic.co.za

Robert Arnold

PostFri May 31, 2019 2:50 pm

tonyvxp wrote:A keyboard shortcut for adding the node label !!

You can make your own! If something is in the menus, you can create a shortcut in keyboard mapping. The Menu item is Color>Nodes>Label Selected Node.

j1k2l3

PostFri May 31, 2019 2:54 pm

Here's a simple request that should be fairly easy to implement: in the timelines, it would be much more convenient if the divisions were at nice even intervals such as 1, 2, 5, 10 seconds, and if the division scale were displayed in some standard place (eg, upper left corner).

Right now, the divisions seem to be arbitrary, such as 4:16 or 1:8, and that makes quick interpretation much harder.

So, please, adjust the divisions so they are nice round numbers !

Galactic_CakeYT

PostFri May 31, 2019 3:31 pm

To let it use GPU a lot more, my CPU is on a 100% and GPU is like 7%, super laggy, please let it use more of my GPU.

waltervolpatto

PostFri May 31, 2019 4:26 pm

Galactic_CakeYT wrote:To let it use GPU a lot more, my CPU is on a 100% and GPU is like 7%, super laggy, please let it use more of my GPU.

if you are using a non post friendly codec like h264, that is decoded in CPU.... nothing to do there...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Wyldie Maxwell

PostFri May 31, 2019 7:01 pm

Some small usability changes that I'd find super useful for my workflow:

Holding CTRL/CMD and dragging over already-selected clips should deselect them. Currently the only way to deselect specific clips is by clicking on them individually.

Selecting multiple clips in the edit index should highlight them in the timeline.
"Filter by" in the Edit Index search should default to All Fields.
It would be very useful to have the Edit Index visible in the deliver tab.

Mousing over the track on/off buttons in the Deliver tab highlights them but clicking does nothing.

Long shot, but it would be really handy for the %Marker Name variable to do something when naming files for export. Using clip metadata for naming doesn't work because we're usually pulling multiple plates from a single clip.

Example usage: when pulling plates for VFX, I put a marker at the head of each clip, and set that marker name to the VFX shot identifier. I then deliver the whole sequence as individual clips in one export, with the custom name set to %Marker Name. Resolve applies the marker name on the inpoint of each clip to that clip's export filename.

Dennis Keeling

PostFri May 31, 2019 7:19 pm

How about using the Neural Engine to automagically size scans from the Cintel scanner?

Plotzki

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 3:38 am

It would be nice to have a way to archive Just one timeline with all used media, trimmed and with handles. I know there is an option on Media Management, but it don't create a project linked to the clips.
Adriano Plotzki
www.youtube.com/hashtagsal
MacBook Air M1 | 8GB | 256 SSD
DaVinci Resolve Studio V17.2.1
Mac OS Bug Sur 11.4

waltervolpatto

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 10:11 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:chromatic adaptation OFX improvement

you more likely go to linear light to do the math for the kelvin shift, it would be really nice if you add a slider that does stop compensation: from -4 to +4 stops of gain so we can also correct the bad exposure of a clip.

it should be in stops (power of 2) so it is easier to gain or lose a "stop of light" in any direction (gain x 2 or gain / 2in linear light)

+ one to this (myself, I know)....

jameslee03

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 6:39 am

Those are incredibly deep, industry focused, products with incredibly workflow advantages for many people. Once you get used to them, it is very hard to "settle" for Fairlight. I will export AAFs all day long, no problem.

Even with Fairlight's limited tools I can get so much out of it. With ASIO support alone I could completely drop Adobe Audition. For my use case, I don't need highly sophisticated tools, but the ability to quickly swap back and forth between video and audio editing in Resolve alone is hugely compelling to me. Since Audition sucks for VSTs, I can route each track to FL studio via virtual cables, and do all of my FX work there.

Midi isn't as important to me, but even some basic tools could open up for a lot of experimental work.

Denis Scholvien

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 12:09 pm

jameslee03 wrote:I'd love to see a piano roll and proper midi tracks for music composition in Fairlight. That along with Asio support and I'd never have to leave Resolve!

I'd second James suggestions. I think its not about Resolve catching up to other DAWs. Being part of a NLE and coloring suite all in one tool, it is in a very special position. I'm pretty sure we will see more features and asio, midi, better VSt support will probably come sooner or later.
Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2 - Win 10 - i7-8700, 32GB RAM, GTX1070

Tony Martin

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Faster startup? Maximise resources?

If I do not specify a control panel in my preferences/settings why does it still “waste” time and resources searching for one?

If the scopes display was not active when I last closed the software, then why load the waveform monitor?

If I have hidden the Fairlight page, why load it on startup?

Why not load these things as and when I request them during a session?
Would that not leave more resources (memory? Threads? Etc) for Resolve?

And would most people be happy to wait a few seconds and see a “loading ...” message when they request one of these features during a session?

Or would none of this make any difference or be too difficult to implement?

Will Howard

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 4:50 pm

jameslee03 wrote:

Even with Fairlight's limited tools I can get so much out of it. With ASIO support alone I could completely drop Adobe Audition. For my use case, I don't need highly sophisticated tools, but the ability to quickly swap back and forth between video and audio editing in Resolve alone is hugely compelling to me. Since Audition sucks for VSTs, I can route each track to FL studio via virtual cables, and do all of my FX work there.

Midi isn't as important to me, but even some basic tools could open up for a lot of experimental work.

Previous Fairlight software had both ASIO and ReWire support so the background is there. The more requests for it the better.

To the earlier comment regarding the competing DAWs, Fairlight has a longer history with digital audio than any of them. This is not a startup. Without being an apologist, they are breaking new ground so it is taking time to develop. There are things I wish were added or different. But the pace is impressive. It will get there. I wouldn't hold my breath for a piano-roll editor though.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 5:29 pm

if i select [frame] instead of [timecode] in the viewer and i type a number, let's say 1000 the machine should go at frame 1000, not timecode 10:00

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 11:32 am

despite all the pro's en cons about the UI (non)flexibility, i still miss a little bit of that. just a volume meter, using the full height of the screen, parked on the side somewhere for instance would help me out alot. was just looking at the new media composer 2019, looks very handy.

anikolic

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 1:06 pm

On Avid you have an option to 'ignore tracks selection' when jumping to next/previous edit. When you select this option, no matter what is selected you go to the next edit. On Premiere Pro, there is a separate command "jump to next edit on any track' which again ignores auto-selects and behaves as if all the tracks have auto-selects switched on. Can we please have something similar in Resolve?

It would be very easy to implement this and for people like me - who like to do as much on keyboard as possible - it would be very helpful.

Also please, please introduce an additional command to switch all auto-selects on and off (in addition to separate commands to switch all audio and all video). I know it would only save one combo key-press, but if you do this hundreds of times a day, it really adds up.

Thank you!
Aleks

Sharingan80

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 3:53 pm

You guys need to have a FIND and REPLACE tool built into Resolve.

Since the workflow type is growing into more than just colour timelines. it's wise to have such tools to Rename multiple Timelines in one hit to then just manually go through and change one by one.

For example, we would make x30 timelines with Tag1 contents the timelines are clearly labelled as SpotName_Dur_Tag1.
But we also need to create Tag 2 timelines by duplicating the files and rename all the timelines again manually from Tag1 to Tag2.

In short, having an inbuilt tool that can do Find and Replace the naming of Timelines in one hit will be a godsend.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 11:33 pm

tonyvxp wrote:A keyboard shortcut for adding the node label !!

Already there in 16b3.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 7:37 am

waltervolpatto wrote:if i select [frame] instead of [timecode] in the viewer and i type a number, let's say 1000 the machine should go at frame 1000, not timecode 10:00

Other NLEs use 'f' so that typing 1012f would go to frame 1012, and typing 1012 would go to 10:12, regardless of time display.

groslaine

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 4:53 pm

I agree with some people above about FUSION that need to be restructure. The tools are there but the way it work is not always the more efficient. It's not using the full power of the node base system, a lot of data need to be "connect to" or use driver instead of using the node and conect the data and value, witch will be more powerfull. But the principle thing is the cache and optimisation. It's is slower than other compositing software to do the same thing. And sometime because of memory issue it crash and the scene as a lot a bug after it, nodes that are going crazy and other issues.
Before adding some functionality it need to work better and being optimized, It may be a lot of work in term of coding but it will help in the future to add some new things.
It's not a bad critic on the software, I love fusion and resolve, I use it all day and want to migrate all the workflow with it but the fusion tab is too unstable for the time being. I just want to encourage the good work the developper are doing and hope it will go the right way.

NeverMindThe

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Make Multicam sequences more like Adobe Premiere.

1. Firstly synching of clips via audio only, when multiple clips in each angle is poor (results in dozens of angles, one per clip unless convoluted and time consuming workarounds).

2. Allow Compound clips (or nested clips) to be quickly converted into Multicam sequences/clips, like in Premiere. Ie, gather the required pre-synched video clips, right clip, compound/nest, then 'enable multicam'. A simple multicam clip in the timeline. Brilliant, simple and sadly a feature that Resiolve is sorely lacking.

This also importantly allows video clips to be separated from audio recordings, as I want to retain viewing of all audio from sound recorders while irnoring the on-camera mics for wedding ceremonies/speeches etc.

The Multicam features of Resolve 16 are lacking when compared to PPro, hopefully it's a simple ferature than can quickly be implemented and attract even more of us disgruntled PPro users over... right now though, with multicam as it is in Resolve a6 beta... I can't make the move!

Dermot Shane

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 9:28 pm

allow stupidly small resolutions..

making banners to run in elevator's from spots, Resolve cannot go below 256 pixels high
i have to deliver banners in 1920x240 and 720x118

easy workarounds at hand tho

Marian Munteanu

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 7:41 pm

PluralEyes synching capabilities!
Marian Munteanu

waltervolpatto

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 8:53 pm

color trace: it needs some love...

the ability after we selected a timeline to copy from, to have a drop down menu to choose another timeline/reel without committing , leaving the function and go back.

The thumbnails should be scroll-able to look for a different poster frame: in matching sometimes the first frame is useless and we need to see the action. Sometimes I colored the dailies with stupidly long takes and and the shot in the middle is the final cut: I need to reach a frame that is telling me that I'm in the right spot.

waltervolpatto

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 9:13 pm

color, gallery function (timeline). That has a lot of potential, but does not show it yet.

1) I want to compare between the current shot and the [loaded] timeline. I cannot do that now.
2) I want to "on the fly" choose another poster frame in the loaded timeline (gallery), at the moment is always the first frame
3) would be very nice if, in color, I can "gang" the play-heads. Let's say that I did a color trace or simply I have another version of the same timeline, I will choose an arbitrary timecode on the active coloring timeline, a poster frame in the [gallery timeline] (that refer to a specific timecode), then I can compare them, split them, and move the timeline freely and the one in the [gallery timeline] will follow and stay in sync allowing for an easy comparison/copy color/versioning and such.

GrizzlyAK

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 9:36 pm

A CONVERTER page, which we could use to reencode with a wide selection of codecs. For example, I recently discovered that Resolve 15.3 won't accept MPEG-2 on import, so I had to resort to ffmpeg to convert to something it would. In addition, a much wider selection of formats that Resolve recognizes and can work with would be very nice. Something akin to Adobe Media Encoder where you could batch files to reencode, or just build the functionality into the Media Page (perhaps preferred).

Just an idea.
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

fusionfx

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 6:35 am

The ability to double click on a color bar to type in the values, rather than having to slide them up and down in an inexact manner.

CptCurk

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 am

Some Edit To Fusion Tab request (and more...) :

- Adding the possibility to find markers in our fusion pages.

- Possibility to have a kind of "timeline synch", like the clips tool, with Timeline, To have the SOUND :!: (ALL Youtube Cinematic guys need that for there transitions effect !)

- A better Engine with Fairlight when we record direct sound and monitor it, being able to use a piano with ACT in Fairlight, Even in the whole Resolve Could be amazing... ^^'

- ProRes in Windows !

-
Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32CoreGPU and 64Gb of ram.
Davinci 18.1.3

Shooting Fujifilm X-T3 & Blackmagic Video Assist 7" HDR with Miller Tripod.

Edwin Street

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 am

Blackmagic Design can you PLEASE add Nearest Neighbour scaling. I REALLY need it. I record old video games and have to use Compressor 4 to enlarge them before importing them into Resolve. It would be much faster to skip this process and do it all in-house.
Nearest_Neighbor.jpg
Nearest_Neighbor.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 43381 times
Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Studio 18.6.4 | Ryzen 9 3900X | 1660 Ti | 64GB

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 am

accessing timelines and power bins from other databases.

a bit like colortrace, you get a popup with your databases and projects. would be great if you could access all your timelines right into your source viewer.

or access your power bins like do with your sound library, you can choose from different databases.

Florian S

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 pm

A playheads reference mode would be great.

In Baselight you can wipe between your playheads and that's a nice feature.

Also a mapped keyboard shortcut for selecting playheads.

Redesign / Update the DaVinci Resolve Advanced Panel

It's outdated and no fun to work with. Seriously. The whole layout is really really bad.

I even prefer the Mini Panel over the Advanced. We all know you can do it, and you'll deliver something great.

Thanks!

waltervolpatto

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 3:02 pm

fusionfx wrote:The ability to double click on a color bar to type in the values, rather than having to slide them up and down in an inexact manner.

+1.

add two digits and make it editable

Mark Grgurev

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Edwin Street wrote:Blackmagic Design can you PLEASE add Nearest Neighbour scaling. I REALLY need it. I record old video games and have to use Compressor 4 to enlarge them before importing them into Resolve. It would be much faster to skip this process and do it all in-house.
Nearest_Neighbor.jpg

I completely agree with this. Nearest Neighbor should always be an option for any scaler even if it's just for pixel art. It's a common enough aesthetic now that a lot of people would find it useful.

Marian Munteanu wrote:PluralEyes synching capabilities!

Resolve already has this. In the Media tab you can manually sync and pair audio with video or have Resolve do it for you. Just right click some audio and video or a bin and select Auto Sync Audio.

As for my own feature request, I'd like the Palette Area in the color tab to be contextual and only show what's applicable to the selected node. I just made a topic about this but I figure I'd post it here as well considering the longevity of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=92731

Nick Papps

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 5:43 pm

Not sure if this has been asked, didn't see it when I searched this thread.

My request is to be able to have output blanking carry over to a timeline from a nested sequence that has output blanking applied.

Often times, I combine concert footage with interviews and it's neat to be able to see the output blanking applied to the concert and not to the interviews for contrast. Currently, I'm using a .png file to matte out the proper dimensions because the output blanking in a nested multi-cam is not carrying over to the main timeline in my case.

Bobosky

Re: DAVINCI 17 | Big feature request list.

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:ProRes export on Windows, and moveable/sizeable docking UI elements please.

This!!!

Jon Greene

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Australian Image wrote:I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but for every new project opened, I would like the option at that stage to easily have the project database installed in a specific folder selected at that time. This folder would contain all the video and audio files that would be used for that project and would be easy to transfer to other drives as a backup.

There are two types of Resolve users, those working in a large studio environment where collaboration occurs and many users may access the database, and then there are the single users who never share or have a need to share database files with anyone. For the latter to be able to have the project database in the same folder as the other files would be far better.

This is how my RAW photography editor Capture One works, giving you the choice of working with a central database or a distributed one. I use the latter and it's much better for the way I work.

Affirming this request!

waltervolpatto

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Edwin Street wrote:Blackmagic Design can you PLEASE add Nearest Neighbour scaling. I REALLY need it. I record old video games and have to use Compressor 4 to enlarge them before importing them into Resolve. It would be much faster to skip this process and do it all in-house.
Nearest_Neighbor.jpg

i will go all out and add all the options that (for example) NUKE has.... I'm missing Rifman, Lancos6 and sim.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 12:26 am

Australian Image wrote:then there are the single users who never share or have a need to share database files with anyone. For the latter to be able to have the project database in the same folder as the other files would be far better.

I'm a one man shop doing all the shooting, editing, effects, color, audio and final review. The database system is not what I was accustomed to with Adobe Premiere Pro, but I soon got used to it and now find it superior.

I would find it less workable to create a new database for every project, and have to find somewhere to put it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

KevsterZA

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Australian Image wrote:then there are the single users who never share or have a need to share database files with anyone. For the latter to be able to have the project database in the same folder as the other files would be far better.

I'm a one man shop doing all the shooting, editing, effects, color, audio and final review. The database system is not what I was accustomed to with Adobe Premiere Pro, but I soon got used to it and now find it superior.

I would find it less workable to create a new database for every project, and have to find somewhere to put it.

I am in a similar boat to you guys - single operator here. I can totally understand the desire to save the project in the work folder, but to be honest I have actually gotten used to the database approach and actually now prefer it. Its easier to jump between projects, share timelines etc. Where I would prefer the "project" database is when moving between home and work computers. The current approach is a bit clunky for that
www.owlmusic.co.za

Michael Fleetwood

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm

1.) Haven't seen this one since the user studio1492 asked for this in the Resolve 16 Feature list...

Currently "Mark Selection" marks an In/out mark on selected clips position, but it needs to recognize when a single gap is selected as well.

Request: When a Gap between two clips is selected (by clicking on the gap) then Timeline, mark->mark selection sets an In-Out point over the gap.

This is helpful when you cutting and you want something to fit exactly in a place the you just cut something out. Click on the gap, mark selection (in to out) with one hotkey, then cut in the footage. Right now you have to set ins and outs individually on gaps.

2.) Renaming clips in the timeline.

Premiere has this, and it's awesome for multiple reasons. You can set it where it changes the name of the clip through the entire project (which can be good for quickly organizing b-roll), or just roaming the clip in the timeline. I use this to segment interviews into sound bites that I can search for later. Then you'd have to implement a search function of the timeline (which premiere has), but that's a whole other request.

If either of these exist, I'd love to know how...
Michael Fleetwood

Resolve 16 / Fusion 16
macOS 10.12.6 - Mac Pro 2010 (Cheese Grater)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

waltervolpatto

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 6:00 pm

2.) Renaming clips in the timeline.

Premiere has this, and it's awesome for multiple reasons. You can set it where it changes the name of the clip through the entire project (which can be good for quickly organizing b-roll), or just roaming the clip in the timeline. I use this to segment interviews into sound bites that I can search for later. Then you'd have to implement a search function of the timeline (which premiere has), but that's a whole other request.

I though you can select the clip, in edit, and under the metadata tab just rename it. I might be totally wrong.

Michael Fleetwood

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 6:23 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
2.)
I though you can select the clip, in edit, and under the metadata tab just rename it. I might be totally wrong.

I looked under the Metadata tab and didn't see the "Clip Name" field. Even when I had just renamed it. Like you said, I could be missing it.

But there's a bit of a workaround I just found. You can hotkey Clip Attributes, and the last tab of the pop up window has the clip name. I clicked on a couple of different clips in the timeline, and it stayed on that tab. So that's a step in the right direction. Choosing wether or not it changed in the media pool would just be that extra icing on the cake.
Michael Fleetwood

Resolve 16 / Fusion 16
macOS 10.12.6 - Mac Pro 2010 (Cheese Grater)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests