BMPCC4K with Viltrox Ef M2 speedbooster

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

edwardb

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 5:06 am

Can anyone out there confirm if this speedbooster from Viltrox would work with the Pocket 4K camera?

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: BMPCC4K with Viltrox Ef M2 speedbooster

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 6:25 am

Yes, it will work except for autofocus which does not seem to trigger. I have already notified Viltrox regarding this issue.

Cooper

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 8:39 pm

So finally got the camera so can report that aperture works with the EF-M2 adapter from f1.2 to f11 (sigma 18-35), but only on firmware version 3.0. Out of the box for me no (qc 5.5.2018) or with the latest 3.2 no.

The speed booster is a bit loose against the BMPCCK4K, I would say it’s about normal amount of movement.

With sigma 18-35 it’s a bit bit too tight, so tight that the lense mount scrapes plastic from inside the adapter, there’s small leaf springs pushing the lense against the adapter. The aperture control is quite noisy, so if using the automatic exposure microphone needs to be far away... haven’t yet testes if low cut filters will help. Balance point with just camera with battery, adapter and lense with hood is about 2cm forward from the adapter.

Manually adjusting the sigmas zoom or focus doesn’t move the adapter. The adapters mounting point would need the be somewhat higher to be at level with the camera.

Cooper

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Today I got email reply from @jyk-hk that they are now “studying compatibility with the BMPCC4K 4K”. Much more promising reply than the previous one “no detailed schedule”. So perhaps firmware for viltrox ef-m2 that supports the pocket cinema camera 4K will happen sooner than later.

Cooper

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 6:57 am

Now that the camera got firmware update to 6.1, the previously working firmware 3.0 on the adapter stopped responding to iris changes. The adapter reports the iris value but can't change it and then looses the connection. With the 2.3 firmware for the adapter, oldest on the viltrox web page, the iris changing works.... still waiting for the new firmware from viltrox that supports focus and is + now an iris control fix.
Last edited by Cooper on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy Walters

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 2:27 pm

For the record, I just picked up a Mitakon Zhongyi Nikon F Mount G Lens to Micro Four Thirds adapter (a steal – brand new at $59 on eBay, instead of $150 at B&H) and I’m blown away by how well it fits and works.

This unit has no electronic functionality at all, but it more than meets my needs – using my old manual Nikon glass with the BMPCC4K.

I’m just mentioning it as a viable option, among the other choices out there for speed boosters. I’m surprised and happy with the optical performance.

James David

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Randy Walters wrote:For the record, I just picked up a Mitakon Zhongyi Nikon F Mount G Lens to Micro Four Thirds adapter (a steal – brand new at $59 on eBay, instead of $150 at B&H) and I’m blown away by how well it fits and works.

This unit has no electronic functionality at all, but it more than meets my needs – using my old manual Nikon glass with the BMPCC4K.

I’m just mentioning it as a viable option, among the other choices out there for speed boosters. I’m surprised and happy with the optical performance.

In regards to the Mitakon Zhongyi Nikon F Mount G Lens -

Is there any cropping from the fact that is is Micro 4/3rds on the Pocket 4Ks sensor?

Randy Walters

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm

James David wrote:
Randy Walters wrote:In regards to the Mitakon Zhongyi Nikon F Mount G Lens -

Is there any cropping from the fact that is is Micro 4/3rds on the Pocket 4Ks sensor?

James, I’m not clear on exactly what you’re asking.

Here’s a sample; this is a full-frame micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/2.8 lens, which on a bare BMPCC 4K would give a field of view equivalent to 110mm.

Using the Mitakon Zhongyi, that ratio changes by .726, giving the equivalent of an 80mm f/2. We’re still not getting the entire content of the original full-frame circle, but we’re seeing significantly more than we would without the adapter.

Since the adapter was designed for a MFT sensor size, it should match up appropriately with the BMPCC 4K, if that’s what you’re asking. I hope that helps …

leo.jpg
leo.jpg (938.32 KiB) Viewed 12631 times

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 6:54 pm

James, full-frame photo lenses will not vignette with a .7x focal reducer in theory but good for Randy including the pic that illustrates everything is going “according to plan” and no funny behavior due to the BMPCC4K exceeding the normal mMT sensor size horizontally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 9:04 pm

And, a 55mm lens is more like a 100mm on the Pocket 4K Camera, when shooting full open gate (17:9 DCS).
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

James David

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 1:21 am

Thanks for answering. my understanding was that onyl certain speedboosters could be used with the new pocket... otherwise it would vignette

I have lots of Nikon glass like a beloved 24mm 2.8mm and i would like to use it with the new pocket with Nikon speedbooster,

do you think i would have a problem with this combination?

many thanks

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 am

James, any Full Frame Nikon lens should work just fine with either Speed Booster. I use my Zeiss ZF lenses and they work fine.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

NicWassell

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Does anyone know if there is a problem updating (or in this case, downgrading) this speedbooster on a mac? Tried a couple of cables/ports and can't get it to mount on my Macbook so that I can change the firmware.

(It's not entirely clear from their instructions but I gather I should just be able to plug it in with USB and it should show up as a drive?)

NicWassell

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Ah finally managed it with yet another cable. Guess got to just keep trying...

Pete Delahunty

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 6:32 am

Cooper wrote:Now that the camera got firmware update to 6.1, the previously working firmware 3.0 on the adapter stopped responding to iris changes. The adapter reports the iris value but can't change it and then looses the connection. With the 2.3 firmware for the adapter, oldest on the viltrox web page, the iris changing works.... still waiting for the new firmware from viltrox that supports focus and is + now an iris control fix.

Ah! Thanks so much much for this info! I bought the Viltrox adaptor months before my camera arrived. And... had no iris control on Camera firmware 6.1 or 6.2 with the Viltrox as shipped. Updated the Viltrox to latest firmware v3.2 and no change. Thought it might be faulty.
But after downgrading to Viltrox v2.3 I now have iris control :) Happy days!
Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K | Pocket 4K | ATEM Mini Extreme ISO | and more gear than fits in my house

olix4242

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 4:20 pm

For anyone searching this solution, Viltrox made available a new version of Firmware - 3.3
It adds a fix for BMPCC 4K.
Just tested and iris control works fine with my BMPCC4K (latest firmware) and Sigma 18-35.

despice

PostSun Apr 28, 2019 7:37 pm

olix4242 wrote:For anyone searching this solution, Viltrox made available a new version of Firmware - 3.3
Just tested and iris control works fine with my BMPCC4K (latest firmware) and Sigma 18-35.

I bought ef-m1 and ef-m2 - both dont working iris(((
firmawares tried 2.3, 3.0 and 3.3
viltrox said:
"info@jyc-hk.com
Dear Customer, The model number you got is the EF-M2, right? If yes, it can not work with this camera. You need to change it to the EF-M2 II. Thanks! Best Regar"

Chris Chiasson

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 7:36 pm

Just to confirm, Image Stabilization works right?

Boardpig

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 12:56 am

despice wrote:
olix4242 wrote:For anyone searching this solution, Viltrox made available a new version of Firmware - 3.3

viltrox said:
"info@jyc-hk.com
Dear Customer, The model number you got is the EF-M2, right? If yes, it can not work with this camera. You need to change it to the EF-M2 II. Thanks! Best Regar"

Might has missed it but are you sure the lens you are using is supported with the EF-2? I'm using with several Canon EF lenses and all have iris control. (but no auto focus).

Rrrbbb

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 5:56 am

Chris Chiasson wrote:Just to confirm, Image Stabilization works right?

Yes it does

Boscom

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 7:50 am

Boardpig wrote:
despice wrote:

viltrox said:
"info@jyc-hk.com

Might has missed it but are you sure the lens you are using is supported with the EF-2? I'm using with several Canon EF lenses and all have iris control. (but no auto focus).

Some non Canon EF lenses dont have reliable Iris control with the EF-M2. I have 2 Tamron and a Tokina zoom and all 3 have erratic, unreliable iris control, regardless of the EF-M2 firmware version. I'm hoping for some reports on the EF-M2 II to see if this would be any better.

ToniMahoni

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 7:54 am

Hey guys!

Did anybody a test with the Viltrox NF-M43X?

despice

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 11:33 am

Boardpig wrote:
despice wrote:

viltrox said:
"info@jyc-hk.com

i need and try only 3 lenses 10-18stm, 50stm, sigma 18-35

James David

PostFri May 24, 2019 10:54 pm

ToniMahoni wrote:Hey guys!

Did anybody a test with the Viltrox NF-M43X?

is the M in there standing for Micro 4/3 which is not the mount of the pocket

ttakala

PostSat May 25, 2019 2:41 pm

ToniMahoni wrote:Did anybody a test with the Viltrox NF-M43X?

Hi there! Late answer.

I have the Viltrox NF-M43x. It has no electronics. There is an aperture ring for G lenses though. But still everything is manual. Most of my glass is fully manual Ai or Ais, so works fine for me.

Wide open Viltrox is softer than Nikon native (comparing with crop sensor D7100 raw stills). Stopped down there’s no practical difference.

I have noticed quite severe ghosting when shooting towards light sources. Even if the light doesn’t hit the lens directly. Good lens hoods or a matte box is a must.

I haven’t used the metabones but it probably is better, if it fits in your budget. So far I’m quite satisfied with the Viltrox though.

-Timo
BMPCC4K/6K Pro, MixPre-3 II
Resolve Studio
Hackintosh mac OS Mojave
i5-6400K 3.5GHz, 32GB RAM, RX480 8GB

Boardpig

PostWed May 29, 2019 2:46 am

Only just saw this EF-M2 II product.

Would be great if anyone has tested with Canon EF lenses.

Not sure why they cant included the same functionality to the EF-F2 original? Would have thought it was just firmware?

VicHarris

PostThu May 30, 2019 5:40 am

Boardpig wrote:Only just saw this EF-M2 II product.

Not sure why they cant included the same functionality to the EF-F2 original? Would have thought it was just firmware?

What do you need to know? I have one on my camera right now.

Boardpig

PostThu May 30, 2019 8:56 am

VicHarris wrote:
Boardpig wrote:Only just saw this EF-M2 II product.

What do you need to know? I have one on my camera right now.

I guess does the auto focus work as expected with Canon EF lenses? and the iris control etc

Bryanmc

PostThu May 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Do any lenses work with autofocus and the Viltrox?

VicHarris

PostFri May 31, 2019 2:21 am

I've tried it with the Tokina 11-20 and Sigma 50-100 and autofocus doesn't work. I never use any settings on auto so it's really not a concern for me but I might see how it would be for some. BM cameras have never had good enough autofocus to use in a real world situation IMO. Most of my glass is manual anyways.

Bryanmc

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 5:34 pm

My Canon EF lenses still have erratic iris control with the 3.3 firmware. Sometimes changing the numbers do nothing, sometimes the iris opens the higher the number, sometimes nothing happens.

Anyone know a fix?

PunaPhantom

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Aloha all...

I have a BMPCC4K and a few Nikon AF-S lenses...
New ti the MFT realm and looking for a Speed Booster WITH pass through electronics so I can auto focus and set aperture from the camera (I am severely sight impaired and find manual focus to be a tiresome)...

I see Viltrox have a number of these for Canon lenses but haven't found any for the Nikon G lenses...

I am just chasing my tail or are there options out there...

Mahalo
MBP 15" (late 2017)
Obsidian, Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic Air,
Osmo+, Crystal Sky
Nikon D7100

Return to Cinematography