minimal hardware for 100 shot YoutTube clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bill890

minimal hardware for 100 shot YoutTube clip

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 2:45 pm

Hell forum

I intend to create a simple clip/video of about 100 shots/pictures, audio and text and
upload it to Youtube/Vimeo.

I could buy a cheap PC with:

HP EliteDesk 800 G3 (= USFF)
16GB RAM / 256GB SSD /
Intel HD-Graphis 530
i7 6700 (4 cores)
Displayport, VGA

Question:
Can this PC used for that job (with DaVinci 16)?

Thank you very much for any feedback!

Bill

RCModelReviews

Re: minimal hardware for 100 shot YoutTube clip

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 4:16 pm

The Intel graphics is the weakest part of this system. If you can afford a separate video card then you'll be much better off.

And, much as I love Davinci Resolve, I have a feeling that it might not be the best tool for this job. There are plenty of much simpler editors that may well deliver the limited level of functionality you need with a much smaller learning curve. Even good old Windows MovieMaker (which would be a much better match to your hardware) would probably be up to that task and it's a breeze to learn.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 5:28 pm

bill890 wrote: I intend to create a simple clip/video of about 100 shots/pictures, audio and text and
upload it to Youtube/Vimeo.

Hi.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

You don't write what resolutions you want to work with. But 4K/UHD have 4 times the pixels of HD, and require better hardware. For 4K resolutions do I normally recommend a Graphics Card with at least 8 GB of VRam.

And you don't write what codes your recordings are in either. Some Codec's as some versions of MP4, are more demanding to decode and require a more powerful CPU with more cores. 6-12 cores are quiet normal.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

bill890

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 1:03 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:And, much as I love Davinci Resolve, I have a feeling that it might not be the best tool for this job. There are plenty of much simpler editors that may well deliver the limited level of functionality you need with a much smaller learning curve.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Thank you very much for that interesting and important feedback!

Nevertjheless I am contemplating to give DaVinci a try.... even it will be time consuming...
How many hours do you estimate for vfx-beginner(average tatented) to do that simple task in DaVinci?

Thank's a lot!

Bill

RCModelReviews

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 5:37 pm

How long is a piece of string? :-)

I suggest you get onto YouTube and watch some of the Resolve/Fusion tutorials for such things and see if it appears "straightforward" enough to you.

There would be an investment of time required -- but if you can find a good solid tutorial on which to base your own work, that can give you a great kickstart.

To give you an idea... the "breaking balloons" intro to this video took me about half a day to create from scratch using Fusion 9 and the entire video edit (a very simple and hasty effort) took only a few minutes more.

I was fortunate enough to find a great tutorial on the basics used for that VFX so it was relatively easy, despite being somewhat more complex than a simple slide-show. There are lots of slide-show tutorials on YouTube for Resolve/Fusion so give it a go.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Return to DaVinci Resolve