Love Resolve, but it brought down my iMac Pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

indieshack

Love Resolve, but it brought down my iMac Pro

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Just discovered Resolve (yeah, I've been living in a bubble) - but the beta #16 crashed a few times when doing heaving import lifting, and on one occasion actually caused my iMac Pro running Mojave to reboot. Is there any timeframe for the release of 16?

Chet Meyerson

Re: Love Resolve, but it brought down my iMac Pro

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 12:40 am

Get Version 15, that's not a Beta
Chet Meyerson, ATP, CFII, UAS
Current Version: What ever it may be, Beta's included!

indieshack

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 1:15 am

Chet Meyerson wrote:Get Version 15, that's not a Beta

But if I buy version 15 I'm stuck on version 15 without paying for an upgrade?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 2:22 am

Free upgrade to 16 from 15.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 2:33 am

I bought the dongle on version 14.

Had no trouble upgrading to 15 and now am using 16.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Harold Tomlinson

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 3:08 am

What sort of 'heavy lifting' was it doing? My iMac Pro has only crashed once with 16b3 while "delivering" a 70 minute 4k24 clip at over 140fps. Resolve did crash a few times with 16b3, but has not crashed on 16b4. On the other hand, I have also not seen it go quite so fast as it was in 16b3. The delivery now tops out at about 130fps (obviously without fusion or noise reduction).

I have not set anything special, but in experimenting to get the best performance, I did notice that you can limit the frame rate on the delivery page (if that is where you are when you get your crashes it may help).

You can limit the memory if you think it is pushing that limit.

Are you sending the crash reports to Apple and Blackmagic Design?

Is it crashing consistently? How large is your project and what codec is it?

Have you turned on the settings that would reduce the load like generating optimized media, proxy mode at 1/2 or 1/4 res? Is your media on an SSD or a hard drive?

Before giving up on version 16, try 16b4 if you are not already using it.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

cadeg_rsh

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Harold Tomlinson wrote:What sort of 'heavy lifting' was it doing? My iMac Pro has only crashed once with 16b3 while "delivering" a 70 minute 4k24 clip at over 140fps. Resolve did crash a few times with 16b3, but has not crashed on 16b4. On the other hand, I have also not seen it go quite so fast as it was in 16b3. The delivery now tops out at about 130fps (obviously without fusion or noise reduction).

I have not set anything special, but in experimenting to get the best performance, I did notice that you can limit the frame rate on the delivery page (if that is where you are when you get your crashes it may help).

Have you turned on the settings that would reduce the load like generating optimized media, proxy mode at 1/2 or 1/4 res? Is your media on an SSD or a hard drive?

My HP Z820 has crashed sometimes on opening project. With fatal Error. Sometimes video have broken like a video card trouble with memory and after that it crashed with restart computer. FireGL W8000 with latest 19.Q2 Drivers

indieshack

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 5:32 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Free upgrade to 16 from 15.

OK, thanks! Want to support your effort so will purchase - wish there was the option of a full version of fusion inside resolve studio (i.e. at less than $600 - $300 + $300 ).

indieshack

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Harold Tomlinson wrote:What sort of 'heavy lifting' was it doing? My iMac Pro has only crashed once with 16b3 while "delivering" a 70 minute 4k24 clip at over 140fps. Resolve did crash a few times with 16b3, but has not crashed on 16b4. On the other hand, I have also not seen it go quite so fast as it was in 16b3. The delivery now tops out at about 130fps (obviously without fusion or noise reduction).

The heavy lifting was importing a *massive* FCP7 project. BTW you are using the top end iMac pro, I have the base version with 10 less cores so I think we're using quite different machine - thanks for the suggestions and tips - much appreciated

Return to DaVinci Resolve