Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

joncoy

Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

PostFri May 17, 2019 5:29 pm

New Update 04/18/2020:

I uninstalled my two Radeon VII cards and reinstalled an older GTX 1060 I had available. I uninstalled the Radeon Pro drivers w DDU and installed the Nvidia card, installed the drivers, and ran some Resolve tests.

Using the same project from last time, which is booting media from an NVME SSD (pcie), I found two interesting things:

1) While using OpenCL with the Radeons, it still takes almost a minute (55 seconds) for me to get about five clips loaded up in Resolve to where I can actually play them back, but this 5.7K BRAW footage can play back in real time (23.976) with a hefty grade and TNR once all media has loaded. However, when I ran only one Radeon VII, that media loading time was reduced to about 20 seconds.

2) When I ran the same project and grade with the GTX 1060 and Nvidia Studio drivers (and CUDA), my media loads instantaneously, but my playback, as expected, runs about 6-8 fps.

So, even though I'm still getting excellent performance from the Radeons and OpenCL once all of my media loads, it is still strange and annoying that running a CUDA-enabled card vs OpenCL cards yields such wildly different results when loading a project.

Anyone have any answers here, or is this still being chocked up as an "optimization" problem on someone's end?

New Update (04/13/2020):

To get it out of the way, I'm currently running the latest AMD Radeon Pro Enterprise drivers with Resolve 16.2 (Windows 10 Pro 64bit).

Out of curiosity, I took some footage I recently shot on the Pocket 6K (BRAW 5.7K) and created a new project in Resolve and a new project in Premiere CC 2019. I imported all media into my dedicated bins, cut together a sequence, and added some minor grades. Again, all footage running on PCIE NVME SSD getting about 3000MB read and write speeds via AJA Speed Test.

Here's where the interesting things happened: When I reopened the Resolve project, it still took about 1 min for me to be able to access my media and actually play it back (1 min after opening the project). As well, there was a slight delay from my DeckLink mini monitor 4K to my reference monitor. Okay, still lagging.

When I start Premiere and open my new Premiere project with the same footage, same sequence and some minor grades, I get nearly instant access to my media and timeline, and I have very quick playback out to my monitor through the Decklink card via Premiere.

I understand that Resolve is a very large program and each primary tab has a lot of components to load, but this issue between Resolve and AMD is getting a bit ridiculous. To reiterate again, I did not have this problem while running an RTX 2070 or RTX 2080 with Resolve on the same PC.

I must also reiterate that once my media loads, I get excellent real-time playback in Resolve with very complex grades, so there's no real trouble once everything loads.

UPDATE (6/9/2019):

I'm still having strange issues here. I will post a video shortly to demonstrate, but I am still getting significant lag on all clip thumbnails (all tabs) loading, as well as all media spooling up for playback. Both the application and the media are booting from Samsung 860 EVO SSDs which have been confirmed to be operating perfectly with no errors reported and reading/writing around 500/530.

To reiterate, none of this seemed to be a problem before I switched out my EVGA RTX 2070 for my Radeon VII. I'm currently running the 19.5.2 AMD driver pack, and all other applications seem to be running smoothly aside from Resolve. All hard drives in the system have not reported any errors.

I would say that from initial application load up (which hangs on a white screen for a few seconds), it takes about 10 to 20 seconds for me to have access to any media in my viewer or record monitor, and the thumbnails take even longer to populate. The project I have been using to test this contains a small amount of media in a DNxHD format.

I'm also seeing lag when I wipe a still across the viewer for comparison. Comparing it to a friend's less powerful iMac, his viewer wipe felt smooth and fluid compared to mine.

Currently running Resolve 16 b 4, but again, these issues started on Resolve 15 when I changed GPUs.

(original post)
Hi everyone,

I've run into a strange issue that I hope to fix up soon.

I recently swapped out an RTX 2070 for a Radeon VII, but I'm finding that not only do my media files, thumbnails, and Resolve tabs open more slowly now, but playback lags a little while working with fairly easy codecs and only a few basic corrections and some OpenFX like glow and sharpening.

I used DDU to fully uninstall Nvidia drivers from my computer and used CCleaner to clean up the registry. I then installed the Radeon drivers and all seemed well. However, I did notice that my computer (which boots from SATA III SSD) takes a few seconds longer.

And then in Resolve preferences, I made sure I was running OpenCL and selected the Radeon for compute.

But, something seems to be amiss since I'm now getting slower UI performance and slower media loading. I'm also getting occasional playback stutter that didn't exist with the RTX 2070.

EDIT: I'm running AMD's 19.5.1 driver.

In addition, I fully uninstalled Desktop Video (I'm running a Decklink Mini Monitor 4K to a ref monitor) and Resolve, and then reinstalled Desktop Video and the latest version of 15 (15.3.1). This did not solve the lag issues.

My system:
Asus B350 Plus mobo
Ryzen 7 1700
32 GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz RAM
Radeon VII (previously RTX 2070)
Samsung SATA III boot/app drive
Kingston SATA III SSD for media
Decklink mini monitor 4K
Last edited by joncoy on Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 13 times in total.

MishaEngel

Re: Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Check your drive for errors and optimize (trim) them afterwards(when there are no errors, otherwise first fix the errors).

https://pureinfotech.com/fix-hard-drive-problems-windows-10/

joncoy

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks MishaEngel, I'll give that a shot real quick! I'll report back.

joncoy

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:39 pm

All drives scanned for errors--no errors found. I still went ahead and optimized all drives in the system.

Problem persists. When the Resolve project opens and I switch to the edit tab, it takes about :35 to :45 for an image to pop up on the record monitor from the playhead. Really unusual behavior.

General playback with color adjustments and OpenFX plug-ins seems to be running smoothly with h.264 and RED 5K on the edit page, but in the Color tab, I get a lag or even stutter at edit points that I wasn't noticeably getting with the RTX 2070.

I'll keep playing around, see what I can come up with.

joncoy

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:41 pm

I should also add that I haven't been using render cache or optimized media for this particular test, since the footage I'm using for the test previous ran beautifully without these optimizations. Maybe I'm just being too picky, but the slow GUI response and slow image loading concerns me.

MishaEngel

PostSat May 18, 2019 12:36 am

The Radeon VII is fast enough to handle 8k.R3D 5:1 at 30+fps debayering speed.
I don't think the Radeon is the problem with .R3D.

DR15 doesn't support AMD VCE h.264 decoding (DR16 does), DR15 does support NVdec h.264, how is the CPU load with h.264?

CCleaner can be very aggresive and sometimes it cleans more than you want (happened to me, I don't use it anymore).

joncoy

PostSat May 18, 2019 1:37 am

CPU usage seems moderate (about 35% load).

I switched over to 16 beta today just to see how the AMD GPU decoding would assist. Playback seems perfect on the edit tab. CPU usage around 9% while GPU sits around 6% on playback.

Is it normal for the loading of the UI on the Color tab to lag things a little bit at each edit point? This seems to have happened to me from version 12 on.

I'm also noticing a general lagging effect when I scrub through footage using the jog keys. This seems to happen from any hard drive I use for the media storage, and it's also something that used to work more smoothly when I had the RTX 2070 installed.

Again, I still have the issue of media taking about 35 seconds after the project loads before I can actually see and play anything on the timeline. This wasn't happening before I switched GPUs and drivers.

I didn't know that about CCleaner, that's good to know.

MishaEngel

PostSat May 18, 2019 12:57 pm

When your CPU and GPU loads are so low I get the idea that windows is missing some important files.
Or that the register of windows is broken, to many broken shortcuts, etc..

I use Glary utilities to find and fix those kind of things and it works for our windows computers.
When to many files are missing, nothing but a full clean install of windows will help.

joncoy

PostSat May 18, 2019 2:40 pm

That makes sense, and it does seem like the only real cause of my problems.

I've downloaded Glary and am finding a lot of issues in the registry. I'll use this software from now on and report back on how Windows is doing. Hopefully I won't need to clean install.

joncoy

PostSat May 18, 2019 3:03 pm

After cleaning up the registry and Windows files, I went from a 23 second reboot to 17 seconds. Things are moving smoothly! Thank you for the tip about Glary.

I tracked the times for Resolve boot as well as media loading. Before the Glary cleanup, Resolve was taking about 40 sec to boot to the Project page and now hits that in 28 sec. Previously, for the media to become visible either in the media tab or the edit tab, it took about 45 sec. Now it's getting there at 14 sec.

Much, much better than before. Unfortunately, after something pops up in the record monitor of the edit tab, I still see a significant lag from hitting play to when some video actually spools up--about 15 to 20 seconds. And it's still occasionally hanging on playback then catching up.

However, I am able to scrub through the footage with the jog keys smoothly now without hiccups or stalling. This is with all color nodes still enabled, by the way.

Am I looking at sudden hard drive and I/O issues here?

MishaEngel

PostSat May 18, 2019 3:17 pm

joncoy wrote:Am I looking at sudden hard drive and I/O issues here?

Looks like it.

joncoy

PostSun May 19, 2019 7:47 pm

UPDATE:

I have run Glary's tools for cleaning up Windows file system, registry, disk cleanup, etc. The PC itself runs beautifully, and other programs seem to have no trouble accessing data from all drives, including various USB external drives.

However, Resolve still has trouble communicating with internal and external drives to load up media onto edit and color tabs (the whole software, really).

I have also performed sfc /scannow Windows file integrity scans and have found no errors. I have also found no errors on any drives and have optimized them all. I have also run AJA's System Disk Check to make sure all drives are reading/writing (not including disk cache), and all seems fine there.

To reiterate, this is all running on same hardware from a week ago EXCEPT new GPU, and things ran perfectly fine with no lagging issues previously (except a sound issue, which I'll mention).

Is any of this possibly an issue with Radeon VII being so new and both Resolve 15.3.1 and 16 beta 2 not being optimized for Vega II hardware, or am I missing something?

As well, I am also experiencing an issue where I have sound on the timeline, the track is NOT muted, the entire sound mixer is NOT muted or turned down, and my correct audio output is selected in Resolve preferences, and sometimes I can't get audio playback. Restarting Resolve usually fixes it.

Feeling more and more like bugs the more I test it. Just can't figure out why Resolve is lagging on media loading.

joncoy

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Updates to the situation in the original post.

Jean Claude

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 5:24 pm

just to follow the thread
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Blankoutcast

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 8:04 pm

im getting the same thing with my radeon 7 but im stuck with 19.3.1 drivers because if i update the drivers past this point it wont launch davinci resolve ive been trying DR 15 and now am trying 16b4 and playback of video is very laggy. i (upgraded) from a gtx970 thinking that going from 3.5gb vram to 16gb would help with my gh5 4k footage

everything about my computer is the same as it was with the lesser graphics card but performance has decreased

Ole Kristiansen

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Blankoutcast wrote:im getting the same thing with my radeon 7 but im stuck with 19.3.1 drivers because if i update the drivers past this point it wont launch davinci resolve ive been trying DR 15 and now am trying 16b4 and playback of video is very laggy. i (upgraded) from a gtx970 thinking that going from 3.5gb vram to 16gb would help with my gh5 4k footage

everything about my computer is the same as it was with the lesser graphics card but performance has decreased

Are you on the Studio ver. ?

Is your psu min, 650 watt ?

What is the spec of you pc ?

I think that the AMD gpu drivers is a part of the problems ?

MishaEngel

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Ole Kristiansen wrote:Are you on the Studio ver. ?

Is your psu min, 650 watt ?

What is the spec of you pc ?

I think that the AMD gpu drivers is a part of the problems ?

All good valid points.
PSU might be the one.
Or you have just badluck and it is broken.

Dan Sherman

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm

@op

Can you provide a complete list of all your components?

based on everything you've said so far I'm assuming you either have a hardware limitation or some kind of funky Windows driver issue.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

joncoy

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 11:44 am

Blankoutcast wrote:im getting the same thing with my radeon 7 but im stuck with 19.3.1 drivers because if i update the drivers past this point it wont launch davinci resolve ive been trying DR 15 and now am trying 16b4 and playback of video is very laggy. i (upgraded) from a gtx970 thinking that going from 3.5gb vram to 16gb would help with my gh5 4k footage

How interesting, Blankoutcast. I'm on the latest AMD driver 19.5.2 and I'm not having any trouble in any other applications or in general system performance aside from media and thumbnails taking a painfully long time to load in Resolve. And yeah, on paper, you made a big upgrade in terms of GPU performance, so the issues you're having seem really strange.
Last edited by joncoy on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

joncoy

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 am

Dan Sherman wrote:@op

Can you provide a complete list of all your components?

based on everything you've said so far I'm assuming you either have a hardware limitation or some kind of funky Windows driver issue.

Hey Dan,

I'm running:

Asus Prime B350 Plus mobo
Windows 10 Home (Creators Update)
Samsung Evo 500GB SSD boot/application drive
WD 2TB SSD media storage
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
Ryzen 7 1700
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 80+ bronze psu
32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666mhz
Radeon VII
Blackmagic Mini Monitor 4K card

But Resolve 15.3 was opening projects quite smoothly while my RTX 2070 was installed. When I uninstalled the drivers (used DDU) and installed the Radeon VII and its drivers, Resolve suddenly seemed sluggish to open and to load media. Playback, however, is great once all media loads.

MishaEngel

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 12:51 pm

joncoy

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm

MishaEngel wrote:Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.6.1
File Size: 352 MB
Release Date: 6/9/2019
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-2nd-generation-vega/amd-radeon-2nd-generation-vega/amd-radeon-vii

And for the Mobo https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Some things are conflicting.

Thanks Misha, I’ll give Adrenaline 19.6.1 a go. I thought I was up to date with mobo BIOS and chipset drivers when I installed Radeon VII, but I’ll look into that as well. Think I’m at least on latest BIOS 4801.

Bill Heath

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi People,
I'm happy that I found this thread.
Thank you for all your hard work in trying to fix this problem.
My symptoms are identical: Laggy playback (and gui) going from Nvidia 1080 to Radeon Vii.
I'll try all these remedies and more and report back if I discover any solution.
First I'm going to try this weeks gpu driver: 19:6:1
I hope I'm posting this correctly. Not much experience on forums.

Updated resolve to 16b4
Resolve Studio B3
Win. 10 pro
X399 Aorus MB
32 Gb ram
Radeon VII graphics
Various m2 drives
Moved from Avid Media Composer (far from Adobe)

joncoy

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Bill Heath wrote:Hi People,
I'm happy that I found this thread.
Thank you for all your hard work in trying to fix this problem.
My symptoms are identical: Laggy playback (and gui) going from Nvidia 1080 to Radeon Vii.
I'll try all these remedies and more and report back if I discover any solution.
First I'm going to try this weeks gpu driver: 19:6:1
I hope I'm posting this correctly. Not much experience on forums.

Updated resolve to 16b4

Hey Bill!

Thanks for posting as another user with this lag issue. Let us know how things progress. I installed the latest driver version 19.6.1 and have seen little to no change in performance system-wide as well as in Resolve. My drives (even SSD) take a considerable amount of time in Resolve to load media into the pool and thumbnails.

My hunch is that, like Misha pointed out, there is a driver conflict somewhere in my system that is causing a lag.

MishaEngel

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 pm

joncoy wrote:My drives (even SSD) take a considerable amount of time in Resolve to load media into the pool and thumbnails.

This is a Resolve issue and happened before with VEGA in DR15, with VEGA 2 Blackmagic Design is more focussed on Apple than on Windows users. BMD only made a BRAW player for MacOS and just forgot their biggest userbase (the indie windows user).
These German Guys had the same issue https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/AMD-Radeon-VII---der-DaVinci-Resolve-Afterburner.html.

Blackmagic Design turns out to be a status driven company (NVidia, Apple), while their own products are value for money(Like AMD).

joncoy wrote:My hunch is that, like Misha pointed out, there is a driver conflict somewhere in my system that is causing a lag.

When all the thumbnails are loaded, you should be back at superspeed again.

So it's an issue with Davinci Resolve and AMD VEGA2(Radeon VII).
They fixed it with VEGA, so I expect they'll fix it with VEGA 2.

Dan Sherman

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 1:17 am

MishaEngel wrote:Blackmagic Design turns out to be a status driven company (NVidia, Apple), while their own products are value for money(Like AMD).

I dont agree with this at all. Until Ryzen came out, Intel rulled the pc cpu world. Nvidia still rules the pc gpu world, even withe latest Navi releases. Thus it only makes sense BM would focus on what their customers are most likely going to be running.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

jsmith

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Same issue as above. Everything up to date BIOS/GPU Firmware(clean installed) specs in signature might not be up to date (16b4/newest AMD Drivers) but will once i'm in the office. UI delay not happening in any other application. Footage is loading off an NVME. I've tested with BRAW, CDNG, and Prores and they all have the delay.

Sidenote (probably unrelated):One thing I noticed that is specific to BRAW is that while GPU decode is on it take several moments for the framerate of the timeline to catch up. With it off it starts at the correct frame rate almost immediately.
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1903) | Processor:i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz | Memory: 32GB RAM |
Video Card: AMD Radeon VII | VRAM: 16GB | Playback: Intensity Pro 4k
Resolve Version: 16.0.0B.033 | GPU Driver: Adrenaline 2019 19.5.2 [[Updated:6/17/2019]]

joncoy

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 1:37 pm

MishaEngel wrote:
joncoy wrote:My drives (even SSD) take a considerable amount of time in Resolve to load media into the pool and thumbnails.

This is a Resolve issue and happened before with VEGA in DR15, with VEGA 2 Blackmagic Design is more focussed on Apple than on Windows users. BMD only made a BRAW player for MacOS and just forgot their biggest userbase (the indie windows user).
These German Guys had the same issue https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/AMD-Radeon-VII---der-DaVinci-Resolve-Afterburner.html

This is what I assumed was goong on. Blender had the same AMD issues until someone from AMD went over there to help them implement Vega II into 2.79 and 2.8. Works beautifully now.

A little disappointed in Resolve, but I’m sure it will be optimized eventually...right?

Andrew Welch

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 2:30 pm

I have a Radeon 7 and I’m not experiencing any of those issues. Here are my specs, I’ll add the Resolve and driver versions when I get back to my workstation.

Threadripper 2950X
ASRock x399 Taichi mobo
64GB GSkill TridentZ PC3200 RAM
2x HP EX920 512GB M.2 SSD
Saphire Radeon VII
Corsair 1000w 80 Plus Gold power supply

joncoy

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Andrew Welch wrote:I have a Radeon 7 and I’m not experiencing any of those issues. Here are my specs, I’ll add the Resolve and driver versions when I get back to my workstation.

Threadripper 2950X
ASRock x399 Taichi mobo
64GB GSkill TridentZ PC3200 RAM
2x HP EX920 512GB M.2 SSD
Saphire Radeon VII
Corsair 1000w 80 Plus Gold power supply

Thanks for adding some positive experiences here, Andrew.

I do wonder if running a Threadripper/x399 combo with 3200mhz RAM and the subsequent drivers plays any role in your system efficiency (pluss the SSDs).

My main concern is still that my system was running very smoothly until I switched out the RTX 2070 for the Radeon VII. I’m almost curious enough to move back temporarily to see what happens.

MishaEngel

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 3:01 pm

I hope they(AMD and BMD) solve it soon, we just ordered 3 RadeonVII's (before the prices go up).

Jack Fairley

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 pm

joncoy wrote:I’m almost curious enough to move back temporarily to see what happens.

It's worth doing. I would also try backing the system up and doing a bare metal reinstall to see if that fixes things with the Radeon VII.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

John Paines

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 pm

MishaEngel wrote:I hope they(AMD and BMD) solve it soon, we just ordered 3 RadeonVII's (before the prices go up).

That state of hopeful uncertainty will probably be news to anyone who bought this card at your repeated urging. But I guess it's even more urgent to buy now. If it doesn't work, at least you got a bargain.

MishaEngel

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 4:02 pm

John Paines wrote:
MishaEngel wrote:I hope they(AMD and BMD) solve it soon, we just ordered 3 RadeonVII's (before the prices go up).

That state of hopeful uncertainty will probably be news to anyone who bought this card at your repeated urging. But I guess it's even more urgent to buy now. If it doesn't work, at least you got a bargain.

Apple Mac Pro gives me high hopes, it uses the same VEGA2 chip.
In the high unlikely case that AMD and BMD won't solve this problem(they solved it with VEGA), I can always sell them to some Apple users(they have a lot of money), or run hackintosh (haven't heard any issues on MacOS 10.14.5 with this card).

Those NVidia cards with 16GByte or more are to costly and to slow with TNR.
And it's competitor the RTX2080 with 8GB or slow VRAM is not a real option for 4..6k workflows.

Andrew Welch

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 4:18 pm

I’m running the following without any issue...

Resolve v 15.3.1.003
Radeon Software Version 19.4.3
Radeon Driver version: 25.20.15031.9002
Windows 10 Pro

I made a short video and tried to replicate the processes that the OP is having issues with. The video shows the following- Navigating to the media, Resolve generating thumbnails, playing back an h.265 clip, creating a frame grab in the Color tab and then applying a wipe with it.
As you can see from the FPS counter, playback remained steady throughout.
*Note- this is a new machine and has only been used for a few tests previously.

joncoy

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 5:54 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:
joncoy wrote:I’m almost curious enough to move back temporarily to see what happens.

It's worth doing. I would also try backing the system up and doing a bare metal reinstall to see if that fixes things with the Radeon VII.

I’ll give this a try if things don’t improve soon. Considering it’s only slow when the software first loads everythig and not on playback, it might be a bit hasty.

And Andrew, I see what you mean by it loading well. I may give some older drivers a shot. At this point, I may need to just be patient and let BMD work potential kinks out. Again, the Radeon VII performs well in all other applications, and it performs even better in Blender than my RTX 2070 with the Creator drivers. So we’ll see. the only other issue I have noticed since switching GPUs is that Windows boots to the desktop a few seconds slower on average than before (17 sec has now become 23 sec).

Dan Sherman

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:52 pm

Whats really odd, is what you describe sounds like a hdd related issue.

Have you run somthing like hwmonitor during start up?

Have tried deleting or moving your cache directory?

Another test might be to use ffmpeg to transcode some h264 footage and see how that performs.

joncoy

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:Whats really odd, is what you describe sounds like a hdd related issue.

Have you run somthing like hwmonitor during start up?

Have tried deleting or moving your cache directory?

Another test might be to use ffmpeg to transcode some h264 footage and see how that performs.

Hey Dan, I haven't run HWMonitor, but I was using Glary to help diagnose some issues and clean up the registry a bit. Unfortunately, Glary would occasionally give me incorrect readings regarding boot times, so I'm not sure if that was on Glary software or something else.

I have moved my cache directory to a different SSD. I'm going to shuffle some media around as well just to try other drives.

joncoy

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 8:29 pm

So today, I learned a bit about HBCC memory segment function on the Radeon VII (in the Radeon software), so I decided to kick it on, at its default memory amount, to see what happens. I restarted the PC, booted Resolve, and from the database window to initial application loading and then to media and thumbnails, everything loaded VERY quickly, like 1-2 seconds.

I'm stunned. I had no idea about HBCC and what it can do for system performance beyond utilizing more RAM beyond the 16GB VRAM.

As of right now, running Adrenalin 19.6.1 with HBCC activated, my Resolve interface feels responsive and snappy again. Very weird.

MishaEngel

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Sounds like an easy fix, looking forward to our VII's, hopefully next week.

Cliff Rourke

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 1:40 am

joncoy, thank you for running your hardware headache to ground- one step at a time in this forum. I've learned a lot along the way, which is nice. The Vii gpu is high on my list of new graphics cards.

joncoy

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 2:43 pm

MishaEngel wrote:Sounds like an easy fix, looking forward to our VII's, hopefully next week.

Hopefully this is all that's necessary. I'm still a little confused why it sped things up--I was under the impression that it was just a way to restructure VRAM by using system RAM as an extension if VRAM fills up, which I'm clearly not doing with my Resolve project.

Regardless, it has sped my OS and applications up a bit. I need to do more research.

Cliff Rourke wrote:joncoy, thank you for running your hardware headache to ground- one step at a time in this forum. I've learned a lot along the way, which is nice. The Vii gpu is high on my list of new graphics cards.

Sure thing, Cliff. I'll keep updating this thread as things move along. I'm also going to change my storage solution a bit to beef it up.

Bill Heath

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 3:26 pm

joncoy wrote:So today, I learned a bit about HBCC memory segment function on the Radeon VII (in the Radeon software), so I decided to kick it on, at its default memory amount, to see what happens. I restarted the PC, booted Resolve, and from the database window to initial application loading and then to media and thumbnails, everything loaded VERY quickly, like 1-2 seconds.

I'm stunned. I had no idea about HBCC and what it can do for system performance beyond utilizing more RAM beyond the 16GB VRAM.

As of right now, running Adrenalin 19.6.1 with HBCC activated, my Resolve interface feels responsive and snappy again. Very weird.

Thanks joncoy!! You saved me having to rebuild my system. I was going to return the card too and spend an extra grand on the 2080ti. I turned on the HBCC, and that changed everything in Resolve. 4k Video is playing back well, and the UI is responsive.

My system specs are almost identical to yours.

Again, I think this solved the performance bottleneck for me. And saved me time and frustration.

Cheers!
Resolve Studio B3
Win. 10 pro
X399 Aorus MB
32 Gb ram
Radeon VII graphics
Various m2 drives

joncoy

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 12:58 am

Bill Heath wrote:
Thanks joncoy!! You saved me having to rebuild my system. I was going to return the card too and spend an extra grand on the 2080ti. I turned on the HBCC, and that changed everything in Resolve. 4k Video is playing back well, and the UI is responsive.

Again, I think this solved the performance bottleneck for me. And saved me time and frustration.

Cheers!

Happy to hear it, Bill! I'm still reading up on the impact of HBCC and why it's working, but I'm going through my own workstation to find any other loose ends I can dig up regarding performance, but this is a great start. Hopefully maturing drivers (and Resolve versions) will only improve things.

Bill Heath

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 1:41 pm

There is one last issue that I'm experiencing with the radeon vii (in DR 16b4 Studio): There is a checkbox for h264/h265 hardware acceleration in the prefs. Clicking that pref DOES improve playback and rendering of h264 files, but turns h265 files green (much like the green clips in the free version). So resolve studio and AMD are (almost) working together in h265. I suspect future updates will address this.
Maybe there's a separate thread about this h265/amd issue?
Resolve Studio B3
Win. 10 pro
X399 Aorus MB
32 Gb ram
Radeon VII graphics
Various m2 drives

MishaEngel

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Bill Heath wrote:There is one last issue that I'm experiencing with the radeon vii (in DR 16b4 Studio): There is a checkbox for h264/h265 hardware acceleration in the prefs. Clicking that pref DOES improve playback and rendering of h264 files, but turns h265 files green (much like the green clips in the free version). So resolve studio and AMD are (almost) working together in h265. I suspect future updates will address this.
Maybe there's a separate thread about this h265/amd issue?

Hardware encoding is crap compared to software encoding (both AMD and NVidia, NAVI and Turing are better, but still not on the level of software encoding).

jsmith

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 9:00 pm

joncoy wrote:
Bill Heath wrote:

Cheers!

Happy to hear it, Bill! I'm still reading up on the impact of HBCC and why it's working, but I'm going through my own workstation to find any other loose ends I can dig up regarding performance, but this is a great start. Hopefully maturing drivers (and Resolve versions) will only improve things.

This made all the difference in the world. Thumbnails and footage display just about instantly :o :D .
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1903) | Processor:i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz | Memory: 32GB RAM |
Video Card: AMD Radeon VII | VRAM: 16GB | Playback: Intensity Pro 4k
Resolve Version: 16.0.0B.033 | GPU Driver: Adrenaline 2019 19.5.2 [[Updated:6/17/2019]]

IanMag

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 12:19 am

Can anyone confirm that the Radeon VII works well with BRAW in Resolve?

Any idea on why it is being phased out and what may replace it?

Thanks!

John Burton

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 1:00 pm

I've put one in my Windows 10 machine and 1 in my Mojave machine and have put them through their paces. Rendering hours of 6k footage with multiple nodes on NR and they have performed wonderfully. Been using them for about a month now on many jobs and see 0 issues.

Michael Kropfberger

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 1:43 pm

same for me... I use a RADEON VII and it works fast and clean! (see my signature below)
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve