Video - individual frames?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JackOats

Video - individual frames?

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi All - Just wondering if it is possible to automatically split an .mp4 into its constituent still frames in Resolve.

Doing it by hand would take forever!

Many thanks.
DaVinci Resolve v.17.4.3
Mac 27/Catalina v.10.15.7/3.5 GBh Intel Core i7/16 GB Ram/3 TB HD
The masculine includes the feminine (Guys)
Google: 'JackOats' to see my Soundcloud page, 'Brian Watterson on Vimeo' for my Videos.

Mads Johansen

Re: Video - individual frames?

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 7:40 am

The short answer is "no."

The long answer is "no, but.." A workaround is to do Scene Cut Detection and have the purple bar all the way to the bottom. It will not do 100% of the frame split, but it's a lot less work.

HOWEVER(!) who says you need to use Resolve? If you're on windows, look into https://www.raymond.cc/blog/extract-vid ... ia-player/ (real article is "5 Ways to Extract Video Frames and Save to Images").
Otherwise "split video into images" is a good google query to do ;)

I know I shouldn't but I gotta ask, why would you want to do that?

(Edit: I am an idiot, I forgot about the export as images)
Last edited by Mads Johansen on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 9:40 am

Mads Johansen wrote:The short answer is "no."

The long answer is "no, but.." A workaround is to do Scene Cut Detection and have the purple bar all the way to the bottom. It will not do 100% of the frame split, but it's a lot less work.

HOWEVER(!) who says you need to use Resolve? If you're on windows, look into https://www.raymond.cc/blog/extract-vid ... ia-player/ (real article is "5 Ways to Extract Video Frames and Save to Images").
Otherwise "split video into images" is a good google query to do ;)

I know I shouldn't but I gotta ask, why would you want to do that?

Wut? Simple export from Delivery page will write you all the most common image formats in frame sequence.

Now why would one want an image sequence? Becauce almost everyone who don't work with video (as in "video clip") work with image secuences. Most prominent area which is 95% based on image sequences is visual effects.
I do stuff.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 am

Seconded, where's the problem? You can export any video (or part of it) as an image sequence, like TIFF.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

JackOats

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 3:13 pm

@Hendrik, Mads & Uli:

SOLVED:

Hi Guys - Thank you all so much for the very helpful messages - just what I was looking for. Really appreciate your insights. :)
DaVinci Resolve v.17.4.3
Mac 27/Catalina v.10.15.7/3.5 GBh Intel Core i7/16 GB Ram/3 TB HD
The masculine includes the feminine (Guys)
Google: 'JackOats' to see my Soundcloud page, 'Brian Watterson on Vimeo' for my Videos.

Return to DaVinci Resolve