Ursa Mini Pro G2 Issues so far

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

guy.pinto

Re: Ursa Mini Pro G2 Issues so far

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 7:01 pm

It seems the frame tearing happens only with Prores encoding- no matter what is the bit rate or frame rate, it's there after about 20 minutes or less (recording or not).
In Braw it seems to work properly no mater the bit rate. That make me believe its a software issue.

When switching between Braw <-> Prores you can hear a "click" like the sound of a mechanic relay, which is pretty weird. Why use a relay to switch between CODECs?

Blackmagic team, can you please address that issue?

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 7:44 pm

I believe BMD is aware of this ProRes image issue and is working on a fix, from what I have previously ready about this issue.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

guy.pinto

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 11:34 am

Sent it back.

Jon Hustead

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Oof, I've had my UMP 4.6k g1 since launch and other than sending it back for a display cable issue initially it's worked well (other than FPN I guess.) Recently it's started to glitch out on me, with the touch screen becoming unresponsive and it just not wanting to turn on sometimes. It's 2-3 weeks to send it back to BM for repair so I figured I'd put an order in for the G2, then when it gets here ship back the G1 for repairs and sell it.

The more I deal with this broken touch screen and read about issues, the more I'm thinking about cancelling and going a different direction. The G1 has been a good camera for me, but my work situation is a bit different now and having something reliable is extremely important to me now. Not that it wasn't before, but I had a bit more flexibility to deal with issues if they came up.

Not sure what to do here as I'd hoped the G2 would be more of an upgrade and was ambivalent about it in the first place, so the only reason I ordered it was since my G1 has been flaking out. Everything else I'm interested in camera-wise is a big jump up in price.
http://jonhustead.com

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 8:15 pm

I've had the Ursa Mini G2 for about 6 weeks now. Zero issues to report. It's been working great.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Brad Hurley

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 9:21 pm

David Hutchinson wrote:What surprises me is that surely the cameras are checked as they come off the production line? For so many of them to have the same fault seems like really poor QA.

QA seems to be a systemic issue for Blackmagic Design. Last year I bought an original Pocket Cinema Camera and a Micro Cinema Camera; both were unusable out of the box and had to be sent back (BMD replaced the sensor in the Pocket and the reseller exchanged the Micro for a new one). You see it in other places too: the Resolve training guides are full of typos and clearly were never edited...there are even typos that would be caught by a basic spellcheck. QA/QC just doesn't seem to be a high priority for them, which is a shame.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Francisco Rodriguez

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:I've had the Ursa Mini G2 for about 6 weeks now. Zero issues to report. It's been working great.

Glad to hear that Jamie.
Ive had mine for a couple of days now.
I'm seeing FPN on underexposed shots at 800 ISO (On BRAW and Proress)
1600 and 3200 are unusable...
I've contacted Blackmagic about it... waiting for their response.

What's been your experience with FPN?

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Francisco Rodriguez wrote:What's been your experience with FPN?
My G2 is the lowest noise I've seen on any Ursa Mini. No FPN problems. Have you run a black shading calibration? It is absolutely necessary to do it upon taking the camera out of the box for the first time and also after every firmware update. The image can look quite terrible if you haven't run the calibration. Instructions for how to do it are on page 112 of the most recent update to the manual.
www.cinedocs.com

samroden

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:43 pm

Jamie, I've been considering upgrading from the UMP G1. I've read comments about impressive motion cadence and improved CFA filter -- I wanted to know if you notice a significant difference in the look of the G2 from the G1.

Your past responses to my questions around BRAW and Resolve have been super helpful so I figured I'd pick your brain some more. Thanks!

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 12:09 am

Hi Sam.

I thought the motion cadence on the G1 was already good and I haven't done a pixel peeping side by side to compare them.

Same thing on the CFA. Does it look better? Both the G1 and the G2 look great to me so it's hard to answer that definitively.

The main thing I've noticed straight away is improved noise performance (at least a stop better it seems) and the better audio. Those two things plus the ability to embed LUTs into BRAW files in camera, were my reasons for upgrading to the G2.
www.cinedocs.com

Francisco Rodriguez

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 5:36 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Francisco Rodriguez wrote:What's been your experience with FPN?
My G2 is the lowest noise I've seen on any Ursa Mini. No FPN problems. Have you run a black shading calibration? It is absolutely necessary to do it upon taking the camera out of the box for the first time and also after every firmware update. The image can look quite terrible if you haven't run the calibration. Instructions for how to do it are on page 112 of the most recent update to the manual.

I have done sensor calibration.
I guess mine is faulty then... sigh
Thank you for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francisco Rodriguez

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I’m curious to know if anybody else is having , or not, FPN troubles with the G2...

Please report.

Cheers

jmadeja

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 7:26 pm

I've had my G2 for two days. Everything was fine yesterday. Today, it won't turn on. sigh.

Francisco Rodriguez

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 9:09 pm

jmadeja wrote:I've had my G2 for two days. Everything was fine yesterday. Today, it won't turn on. sigh.

Oh man sorry to hear that.
Contact BMD, they’re very responsive; never had a problem with them myself.

I started the RMA process for mine btw.
Hope to get a good clean copy.

robertsonpost

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 2:02 am

I just contacted Blackmagic Support about this, but wanted to post it here in case anyone else has seen this.

I've had a glitching issue from day 1 that only occurs on battery power. It's a single frame block of random color that appears every 15 seconds or so, and it's also showing up in the footage. The issue is limited to when voltage levels are in the higher range of a fully charged battery. When the battery is down in the 14.4v range, it does not happen, which is probably why I have the issue on house power.

I suspect there's no way around returning this for repair, but wonder if anyone else has come across it. I've done over 10 shoots where we were working with multiple Ursa G1's, and lately a few shoots with multiple G2's, but so far I've only seen this on the one I happened to buy.

winterwarrior

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Francisco Rodriguez wrote:I’m curious to know if anybody else is having , or not, FPN troubles with the G2...

Please report.

Cheers

I too am having FPN and some broken, glitchy video files when shooting off speed frame rates. FPN is noticeable in 800 ISO underexposed shots and very apparent at 800+ ISO, 1600 and 3200 are horrible.

When shooting off speed frame rates, I get weird glitches in the footage. See the attached photos.

Glitch.jpg
Shot 48fps off speed to 60fps project. End of all files have glitches like this, unusable clips.
Glitch.jpg (531.98 KiB) Viewed 5819 times

FPN1600_2.jpg
Horizontal FPN in G2 - 1600 ISO
FPN1600_2.jpg (533.16 KiB) Viewed 5819 times

Michael from Vidico

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 12:58 am

We have probably shot over 100 shoots with the G1, and 20 shoots with the G2. There have been no real negative issues at all with the G2, and I would say very broadly that there's a difference of around +25 to +30% in image quality overall. With the G1, we pretty much always had to use a IRND filter, or else the skin tones were pretty much screwed. With the G2, we don't, and it's a huge difference that really shows.

We haven't experienced any post-production or editing issues, but the only video production issue I would count is that the default daylight WB at 5600 seems slightly off. We've found shooting at 5000 yields better balances almost every single time going into Davinci. We have almost never needed an in-depth skin correction with this setting.

Here are some examples of shoots using the G2:

https://vidico.com/case-studies/koala-video/

Also the first video as soon as you land on the homepage:

https://vidico.com/brand-video/

Ageeth

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Hello fellow BM-users. I'd like to add my experiences with my BM Ursa G2. I was very enthousiast about the camera. Sold my trusted Sony FS7 for it. And though I'm happy with the picture and the overall handling of the camera, I did have a few very annoying things. Sometimes my lcd screen freezes and does not respond anymore (in fact the camera freezes). So I have to restart and hope that it resolves it. A few times I had to restart several times. Once while shooting an interview (with a Canon 24 mm L lens) the exposure went to the top. It (by itself) cranked up the exposure to an almost complete white image. Turning the exposure back on the lens itself did not solve it, it went up again. So again a restart had to resolve it. But it happened once again during this same shoot. I also have my difficulties with the noise handling of the camera. I always try to expose to the right, but still I experience quite some noise. Changing codec switches the camera off, but that also happened with my Sony FS7, so that's normal behavior.

Greeting from Holland

Michael from Vidico

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 1:01 am

Once while shooting an interview (with a Canon 24 mm L lens) the exposure went to the top. It (by itself) cranked up the exposure to an almost complete white image. Turning the exposure back on the lens itself did not solve it, it went up again. So again a restart had to resolve it. But it happened once again during this same shoot. I also have my difficulties with the noise handling of the camera. I always try to expose to the right, but

These issues should be covered by warranty. I have been shooting BlackMagic for 5 years, and can say that I have never once encountered noise issues, or auto exposure cranking up on its own. Are you on the latest OS?

Ageeth

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks for your response Michael. Yes I am on the latest firmware for my Ursa G2. I have the camera now for two months and I really like it, apart from the issues (exposure cranks and the freeze of the camera). Raw is great, color rendition is very nice and the overall handling is well thought off. Perhaps I should bring the camera in for a check, but I'll wait till the issues come up again. Thanks!

gravitydog

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Im experiencing some serious IR Pollution problems. I've tested three separate UMP G2's and they all seem to suffer from it and it gets worse with each step of ND. Also it seems to be less noticeable on zoom lenses. But on prime lenses it's way more pronounced.

Im not sure why no one else is talking about this? This is a pretty serious issue. So I thought I'd post in the forum.

I've contacted Blackmagic and they said it's "within perimeters" and that an IR Cut filter should take care of it. Yes, an IR Cut filter will take care of it BUT no one should need to have to buy a filter to have a camera operate correctly.

As you can see from the image below. This was shot during the day in Prores422HQ in 5600K with a Zeiss Contax 50mm f1.4.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 10.49.12 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 10.49.12 AM.jpg (679.21 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:45 am

gravitydog wrote:I've contacted Blackmagic and they said it's "within perimeters" and that an IR Cut filter should take care of it. Yes, an IR Cut filter will take care of it BUT no one should need to have to buy a filter to have a camera operate correctly.
BMD's sensor glass does err on the side of transmitting more IR.

I've found that Hoya's IR cut filters work well. Or, an internal option is the sensor glass replacement OLPF from Rawlite that includes IR cut.
www.cinedocs.com

Donnell Henry

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 3:23 am

Some Zeiss Contax lenses can give off a slight magenta cast.
Have you tried another lens to see if you get that magenta cast. I don’t get that magenta cast at all. I use Schniedar Zenar 3’s I’ve even used some cheap Helios Russian lenses. Those lens give of a brownish tint but still very pleasing..
Check this forum from 2013
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1191513/
GODS CREATE

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 11:38 am

winterwarrior wrote:When shooting off speed frame rates, I get weird glitches in the footage.

If you are shooting at 48 over 60 then you are under-cranking.

As we record audio with each clip for the duration in real-time, when you undercrank the video track isn't as long as the audio track. Is the segment of frames at the end of your clip that have these vertical lines proportional to the percentage 20% difference between 48 and 60fps?

julienpier

PostFri Feb 21, 2020 4:27 am

I do not want to revive a dead horse, but I've had one weird issue with my G2 so far and it's been pretty consistent, albeit not a big problem.
I've noticed that I have some random clips that have, at the very beginning, some weird audio glitch where you can hear some random audio from a different clip. I know it is not because I hit the record button too soon after finishing the recording of the previous clip because I tested that and I don't think it is the end of the clip I am recording because I sometimes hear voices even tho the end of the clip is silent.

It is not the end of the world because it usually happens between the "Recording" and the "Action" (if this makes sense).

Other than that, the camera has been working like a charm and I am SO happy to have gone this route instead of the hybrid route.

Alvin Morris

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 3:08 am

I've had my G2 for over a year and have used it a lot especially earlier this year. I used it in Braw 3:1 4.6k and I had almost no issues.

The other day I tried Prores 444. I started getting weird blue frame flashes that would happen even when not recording, while the camera was in standby. When we did roll, the flashes recorded if they happened. Tried switching to HQ...still did it.
Anybody ever heard about this or experienced it? Seems like the G2 does not like pores at full 4.6k...

So I updated to 6.5.1 (The latest G2 firmware) and I did a shoot today in Braw 3:1 3K anamorphic...no issues with recording but I did have one problem where the camera randomly went haywire in standby mode and the monitors all went wonky and had no picture. Turned the camera off and on and it was fine.

Anybody experience any of these glitches???

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 1:23 am

Never happened on my UMP G2. It's always been rock solid.

I'd recommend doing some testing before the next time you shoot. If it happens during testing, you should contact BMD support and explain the issue.
www.cinedocs.com
Previous

Return to Cinematography