Installing on Windows 7

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

zoonatic

Installing on Windows 7

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Total noob here.

I read about Davinci Resolve today on Reddit and tried to check it out. Looked amazing: free and full featured.

I went to the blackmagicdesign.com and downloaded the 16 beta and installed it on my Windows 7 machine. Got fully through the install process but when I try to launch it I get this error "The procedure entry point clEnqueueMarkerWithWaitList could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenCL.dll". The same thing happened again when I tried to install Resolve 15.

My complaint here is that there should have been some kind of warning. There is none (or I missed it) on the download page and the install gives no indication that Win 7 won't work. When I dug a bit I saw that only Windows 10 is supported. But there doesn't seem to be any official documentation (or detection) to that effect. A simple fix on the download page and during install would deter an avoidable aversion to using the software. Nevertheless, I'll try again when I have my new Windows 10 machine. Hurrah!

John Paines

Re: Installing on Windows 7

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 pm

A "detection" feature which precluded use of anything but W10 would not be a welcome change for many of us. In fact, it would be a horror show. "At your own risk" is good enough for some.

Search the forum for Win7 and Resolve, if you want more information on the subject.

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 pm

If you click the "Read more" link on the download page, just above to operating system buttons, you will find the system requirements near the bottom.

zoonatic

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:If you click the "Read more" link on the download page, just above to operating system buttons, you will find the system requirements near the bottom.

I have looked several times on the download page - blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/ - and all the following pages and see no information about Windows version. I can't find it.

Please post a link to or screen capture of the "Read more" link

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 9:21 pm

I didn't know they did that, created a download page that is separate from the "normal" one in the support section.

The support section is much better:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 pm

zoonatic wrote: I have looked several times on the download page - blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/ - and all the following pages and see no information about Windows version. I can't find it.

Hi.

And here from the FAQ:

'Is there a version of Resolve for Windows 7 or 8?
We only test and certify Windows 10 for use with the latest versions of Resolve. We no longer test or certify Windows 7/8/8.1 for use with Resolve. You could run a legacy version of the software in a legacy configuration, but the latest version of DaVinci Resolve and DaVinci Resolve Studio is supported only on Windows 10.'

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

zoonatic

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Thank you roger.magnusson for this link! I can access legacy versions here and hopefully get something to work on Win 7.

zoonatic

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
zoonatic wrote: I have looked several times on the download page - blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/ - and all the following pages and see no information about Windows version. I can't find it.

Hi.

And here from the FAQ:

'Is there a version of Resolve for Windows 7 or 8?
We only test and certify Windows 10 for use with the latest versions of Resolve. We no longer test or certify Windows 7/8/8.1 for use with Resolve. You could run a legacy version of the software in a legacy configuration, but the latest version of DaVinci Resolve and DaVinci Resolve Studio is supported only on Windows 10.'

Regards Carsten.

Thanks Carsten. That's helpful. My overall comment is that a new user like me has really no way to know this given the way BlackMagic has designed the pages for download and the installer itself. There is zero indication of this in any form...until it fails and you start to look around and get help from more experienced users like yourself or Google etc. I hope they fix this because it may turn off some users to what looks like a fantastic video package. That's the spirit of my comments.

I am at the very end of using Windows 7 - just waiting for a new machine to be sent to me. So, I'll install normally sometime this summer.

Mario Kalogjera

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 6:41 pm

zoonatic wrote:Total noob here.

I went to the blackmagicdesign.com and downloaded the 16 beta and installed it on my Windows 7 machine. Got fully through the install process but when I try to launch it I get this error "The procedure entry point clEnqueueMarkerWithWaitList could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenCL.dll". The same thing happened again when I tried to install Resolve 15.

If you are installing to a disk other than c: (and default path), that may be the problem, at least it was for me, as far as I can remember (can't remember the exact error description but it started like yours). So R15 did work well for me on win7.

However it would be really inappropriate to expect R16 to run well on win7, even if it succeeded to load, God knows how GPU drivers would behave etc.
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Puddinhead

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 7:29 pm

I've bought studio version and it runs fine on my W7 pc, but buggy if I make too many quick movements of mouse. I just save once every minute.

Patrick
Studio 16 beta4 buggy though freezes
Evga x58 mobo
Intel extreme i7 980x cpu

John Paines

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 8:12 pm

That's likely your antiquated system. It's not a known Win7/Resolve issue.

Puddinhead

PostSat Jun 22, 2019 11:42 am

John Paines wrote:That's likely your antiquated system. It's not a known Win7/Resolve issue.

It's not a deal breaker issue as the benefits (pro color painting, can select edit in and outs from a b roll timeline from source window, quicker renders, easy dynamic zooms but text functions suck, nicer trimming action) of 16Studio over media composer 7 are worth it.

Patrick

Calai222

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 1:21 am

John Paines wrote:A "detection" feature which precluded use of anything but W10 would not be a welcome change for many of us. In fact, it would be a horror show. "At your own risk" is good enough for some.

Search the forum for Win7 and Resolve, if you want more information on the subject.

very curious on knowing why would it be a horror show...
TUF B450M | Ryzen 3800X | 32GB Fury @2400hz | GTX 1660 6GB | Logitech G502
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6 Windows 10

Return to DaVinci Resolve