Can you make a list for what I need for the bmpcc 1st gen?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

nedag.GER

Can you make a list for what I need for the bmpcc 1st gen?

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 12:31 pm

I am total beginner. Choosing stuff on my own would be a bad idea.
I decided to get the BMPCC. Can't find any other narrative camera for this price with such a sexy image. :lol:
Can you make a list with everything and its price?
I don't want to spend too much. Max 1000 Euro +/- 200 Euro

What I already have:
tripod, but not a fluid head.
Smartphone adapter for tripod
Galaxy s6 edge

Cheers, Stewie.
BMPCC, Variable ND Filter, 12mm 2.0, nitrotech n8 head

Anatoly Mashanov

Re: Can you make a list for what I need for the bmpcc 1st ge

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 pm

nedag.GER wrote:I am total beginner. Choosing stuff on my own would be a bad idea.
I decided to get the BMPCC. Can't find any other narrative camera for this price with such a sexy image. :lol:
Can you make a list with everything and its price?
I don't want to spend too much. Max 1000 Euro +/- 200 Euro

1. Lots of recommended memory cards (see the specific topic).
2. An external battery giving the specified voltage (3 or 4 LiPol cells or maybe 12-v sealed lead acid from your UPS), corresponding charger and a cable with corresponding connector. The internal battery gives about 5 minutes only!
3. A tripod with a liquid head. Or a photo tripod if you are not going to turn the camera during shots.
4. Some good lenses. For beginning, just borrow any zoom lens from your friend's MFT kit camera. The lens theme is just endless, including the lens price. See corresponding topics.
5. Some external microphone or audio recorder if you want a good audio. I use Zoom H2n but the sound theme is also endless, including the price.
6. A piece of black cloth to cover the viewfinder just in the beginning of photography.
7. A cardreader, preferably USB-3.
8. Computer and a video editing software. I have successfully used KDENLIVE which is open source but my requirements were minimal.

I have no idea about prices. Maybe Ebay could help.

Try NOT to use the HDMI output, it's extremely fragile.

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 3:18 pm

This is a longer answer than you realize. I know, I got one in 2013 to start a hobby and have been buying stuff ever since.

First, ideally you need Resolve to process RAW. There is a free version of Resolve but the computer that has the horsepower to run it is not free. But if you have Premiere, shoot in ProRes and go from there.

A good starter lens is the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm. You can get a used one cheap and the stabilization should work when you shoot handheld, although how much it will help you will have to judge for yourself. There are a lot of lens choices that will work.

You need to find SD cards that work. There has been a huge issue with Sandisk changing something about the cards that were qualified with the OG BMPCC (the 95MB/s cards) so that ones currently shipping are not recognized. I would look for Sony UHS-1 95MB/sec cards but even with those there was a report that some work and some don't. There are 3 or 4 threads on this forum about this issue. It is confusing (and frustrating).

To improve the audio, get a Zoom 1 and record through that to the camera. It is not expensive.

SmallHD makes the "Focus" with a kit for the BMPCC. This is a 5-inch external monitor that also supplies battery power to the BMPCC. So you can see it better outside and extend battery life. I have it and it works well. It also has false color, waveforms, etc. I like the fact that the focus peaking/assist is much easier to see outside. It is about $500 in the US.

An alternative to an external monitor that is less expensive is the Zacuto loupe for BMPCC. I don't know if you can still find them. If you don't get the Focus, you need to buy more batteries. You will have to search the forum for recommendations on the external battery solutions.

Get a small cage, e.g. Wooden Camera.

If you do get an external monitor like the Focus that plugs into the HD port on the BMPCC, you really need to find an "HD Lock" so that the HD port does not get damaged. It is easily damaged and is a bit of a design flaw of the camera. I recently got a Wooden Camera Pocket Lock for that port from France even though they've been discontinued for a few years now. There is also a Pocket Lock for power port that I think is still available. You need a cage to take advantage of these things.

Those are my thoughts. I'm sure others more capable than I will weigh in with comments.
Good luck.
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Brad Hurley

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 3:40 pm

There is some useful information here: http://data.pleintekst.nl/Blackmagic_Po ... Guide.html

But note that this was written before the SD card crisis, which is going to be be your biggest barrier unless the person who sold you the BMPCC sold some cards along with it. You're going to have trouble finding compatible cards, as noted in other comments above.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

nedag.GER

PostSat Jun 22, 2019 10:34 pm

THank you.

How would you do that?

Is a steadycam too much for this? Can I do this with a heavy shoulder rig too?
BMPCC, Variable ND Filter, 12mm 2.0, nitrotech n8 head

Return to Cinematography