DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests list

• Author

Tom Early

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests list

PostSat Jul 06, 2019 11:41 pm

R. Baris Ferah wrote:a) Dynamic Trim Mode is great however when we are using it if we can see A clip on source monitor and B clip on record monitor would be great instead of seeing both of them in record monitor. This is a huge waste of space

You can just switch to single monitor layout

R. Baris Ferah wrote:b) Again when we are in Dynamic Trim Mode it would be great if we will have shortcut options to jump to next or previous edit points (I'm not sure about this one, it could be in Resolve already but I couldn't find it)

Up/down arrows?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

R. Baris Ferah

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 12:00 am

Jim Simon wrote:
R. Baris Ferah wrote:resolve inserts (or overwrites) compound clips instead of source clips.

The new Source Tape feature of the Cut page might suit your needs.

Yes but I checked it and it holds every clip inside a bin as a whole (I mean you can't add just a part of it with setting in/out points). However, I find another setting under Edit Menu and that is "Decompose Compound Clips on Edit" this is the setting that I've been looking for.

Jim Simon wrote:
R. Baris Ferah wrote:when we are in Dynamic Trim Mode it would be great if we will have shortcut options to jump to next or previous edit points.

The normal shortcuts work in Dynamic Trim.

Thanks for that really. I haven't noticed that simple Up and Down would the trick. I've been using AMC for a long time and now I'm having troubles on switching.

Jim Simon wrote:
R. Baris Ferah wrote:- Clips that have an optimized media that attached to them don't have any indicators

If you go to List view, this is one of the columns you can add.

Thanks for this one too. This was bugging me a lot. Finally I can work in peace :D

In addition to my earlier requests I have one more. I can toggle between source and timeline monitor. And I can swap timeline and source monitor however none of them do the trick. I mean I want to see source timeline and to make overwrite/insert edits without switching back to timeline everytime. This is also another time consuming thing.

And for (a) I found a workaround. When decreasing the number of monitor from 2 to 1 with the icon that looks like a rectangle on the top left of timeline monitor (at the left of three dot menu icon) and then start to make dynamic trimming now you can see bigger pictures side by side. However, if Resolve could be able to do this automatically it would be much efficient.

DaVinci Resolve has come a long way in the last couple of years. I never thought that I'm going to use Resolve as a NLE software while AMC is still out there. Although Resolve still has a long way to go, I am considering it to use in some of my projects. Some of the functions that I mentioned above are essentials for editing and actually the main reason people are still so attached to AMC. Because when you work on periodic/episodic jobs or 2 hour long projects these small functionalities do the most trick. You start to make them about million times and maybe even more. AMC become the industry standard not just because of its major and complex functions, it become the industry standard because it gives these basic functions as much efficient as possible.

R. Baris Ferah

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 12:01 am

Tom Early wrote:
R. Baris Ferah wrote:a) Dynamic Trim Mode is great however when we are using it if we can see A clip on source monitor and B clip on record monitor would be great instead of seeing both of them in record monitor. This is a huge waste of space

You can just switch to single monitor layout

R. Baris Ferah wrote:b) Again when we are in Dynamic Trim Mode it would be great if we will have shortcut options to jump to next or previous edit points (I'm not sure about this one, it could be in Resolve already but I couldn't find it)

Up/down arrows?

Yes. I noticed both of them now. I'm still relatively new on using Resolve as an NLE software. Thanks for the tips.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 2:20 pm

R. Baris Ferah wrote:I'm having troubles on switching.

It was the same for me coming from Premiere Pro.

I found the best option was to "forget" what the other software could do and learn from scratch the way Resolved worked, as if I were new to editing.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 2:22 pm

R. Baris Ferah wrote:I want to see source timeline and to make overwrite/insert edits without switching back to timeline everytime.

Under Edit menu, uncheck Switch to Timeline After Edit, turned on by default.

Do give that training a look.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 2:24 pm

R. Baris Ferah wrote:if Resolve could be able to do this automatically

I'm not a huge fan of NLE's doing things automatically. More often than not, I think it's better for the editor to control things manually.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Nick Papps

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 2:05 am

A feature for the Cut Page: Sometimes I have a long clip to edit pieces out of an put into the timeline. Today I noticed while using the Cut Page that when I pull out a small piece of a longer clip and put it into the timeline, the viewer immediately displays the timeline view. So, to go back and grab another clip, I have to double click the clip in the media pool to display it again in the viewer.

Is it possible to only trigger the timeline view when you either move the playhead or playback? That way I can do in/out, drag to timeline and keep going.
Last edited by Nick Papps on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

remix0120

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 5:23 am

Under "Font Family" I wish we can review the "Font itself" instead of "name of the font"

And show full list of Sound Library, it would be good if we can see what we got in there.

Phil Side

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 am

Work with Sony so that all of the metadata that their Catalyst Browse software can see is available in Resolve. This includes shutter, iris, iso, white balance, gamma, profile, bit-rate, etc.

IAMDimitri

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 6:58 am

1. We have this node called MediaIn. I'd like you to add another node called TrackIn.
Instead of loading media files you should have the ability to load video tracks inside Fusion.
That way you can easily create transition and effect presets and easily drop them into the edit.
Also, you would have the ability to edit and grade media after adding custom fusion transitions.
With this node, you would be able to use fusion as a Adjustment layer!

You can already use adjustment layer and put fusion effect on in. But it works only on top layers. I don't see a possibility to blend 2 layers.

2. Also, I can drag Fusion Composition into the power bin to reuse for later. I cannot do the same with Adjustment Clip. I think it would be useful a useful feature.

Phil Side

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:29 am

Have a central database to allow searching of metadata across projects rather than limiting the search to the current project.

Tom Early

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 9:11 am

Nick Papps wrote:Is it possible to only trigger the timeline view when you either move the playhead or playback? That way I can do in/out, drag to timeline and keep going.

Only triggering the timeline if you move the playhead or playback would be a major pain for most people, just use the keyboard shortcuts or the on-screen buttons to edit your material. If you absolutely must drag instead, then you can press Q or single click on the source viewer icon to switch back to the source viewer.

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 2:40 pm

the ability to search for metadata in all bins in the power bin section.

mastix

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 3:13 pm

Better H264 encoding. Still very poor compared to other encoders.

I know impossible but to ask for the moon........ ProRes for windows users.
Windows 10 64 bits
Davinci Resolve 18.1.4 Studio
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

Chris P

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Improved "feathering" on transitions that support it (like oval iris). As it is the function looks terrible.

RAW0001

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Batch change timecodes in media pool.

Currently all my audio is -145 frames out for some unknown reason. I'd like to be able to select a bin of audio clips and adjust their timecode all at the same time.

Chris P

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Permit next/previous edit (up/down arrow) etc work in Cinema Viewer mode.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Chris P wrote:Permit next/previous edit (up/down arrow) etc work in Cinema Viewer mode.

I want the entire Edit page to work in the Cinema Viewer. There's no reason it shouldn't.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Tom Early

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 pm

Chris P wrote:Permit next/previous edit (up/down arrow) etc work in Cinema Viewer mode.

Already works on mine

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 11:37 pm

RAW0001 wrote:Batch change timecodes in media pool.

Currently all my audio is -145 frames out for some unknown reason. I'd like to be able to select a bin of audio clips and adjust their timecode all at the same time.

+1
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Nick Papps

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 1:26 am

Is it possible to change the cursor to differentiate when we're using the selector or the trim edit mode to edit a clip with. The tools look identical, but behave very differently. This has tripped me up a bunch. Maybe a slight color change or something?
Attachments
IMG_4935.jpg
IMG_4935.jpg (268.99 KiB) Viewed 16603 times
IMG_4936.jpg
IMG_4936.jpg (275.59 KiB) Viewed 16603 times

Jon Greene

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Make the *highlighted* element in the Edit Page what opens in Fusion rather than the top-most item.
This way the lowest item in a stack of Fusion clips can be selected.

Make P work in Fusion

Make Text boxes that wrap lines
Simplify working with text all around.

Consider how Venn diagrams could be used to represent many node-to-node and node-to-clip relationships. This approach would speed learning for newbies and speed many basic operations as well.

(from: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=93383)

O Location Relative to Timeline Pointer Location
As an editor using the Edit Page, I'd would like a preference to be added for either
(a) The O point to continue to be placed where it is relative timeline pointer as per tradition.
OR
(b) The O point to be placed at the precise timeline pointer location. This option is simply requesting O have identical placement behavior as that of I relative to timeline pointer location.

Edit Page: Ctrl+\ Global Context
I'd would like Ctrl+\ to insert a cut at the pointer regardless of what potion of the Edit Page has focus.

Nuisance/Bug: Renaming in Windows
Cursor not visible when renaming clips and timelines and this requires extra effort to locate it.

Nuisance (Startup Load time): 'Looking for Control Surface'
I don't have any Control Sufaces, but Resolve spends ~10 seconds at each startup looking for them. Please have the software check the following user settings and skip the control surface checking operation for those that == None
Preferences > Control Panels > Color Grading Panel = None
Preferences > Control Panels > Audio Console = None

Edit Page Markers to anchor Points
Create a way for markers (of some TBD type) to be converted in Fusion to keyframes on a user-selected property. This approach would help users assert timing as they view material.
Last edited by Jon Greene on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JanRAiber

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 2:45 pm

I switched from 18 years of Media Composer to Premiere in 2018. Why? because of a lot of 360°-video-work.
But Premiere sucks. Especially in Render-Performance. I do scanning and grading in DaVinci since 1999. (huge machines those days...) I'd like to completely switch to Resolve, but the 360°-tool in Fusion are way behind a good workflow. In Stereo3D it's even worse. I'd like to see a native 360°3D integration into Resolve.
Than i can say goodbye to all the other software. :D

Thank you for all you hard work, which let me made great colour all over the years.

Jon Greene

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 4:12 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Yes. I want it for the edit page as well.

Yes and it'd be nice if we could move it around a bit as well - say 1/3 or so left or right - somtimes handy to see a bit more of what's coming along - other times more handy to see what has passed.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Jon Greene wrote:Cursor not visible when renaming clips and timelines

They are for me in Studio 16b5 for Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

StudioSpectrum

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 11:49 pm

Fairlight Audio Automation request:

It would be very helpful if the various mixer faders could be grouped to operate together rather than each fader a separate control point when needed. Think two mono channels needing to be grouped as a stereo pair or a group of musical instruments being able to be balanced as a whole against the rest of the mix. Look to how ProTools handles this. Thanks in advance!

OreoYang

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 am

second request
improved wireless audio device support.
Davinci resolve 15.3 won't boot up propperly when my wireless headset USB dongle is plugged in.
At first, it stuck on "looking for control surface" splash page for about 10 minutes.
Then when it finally boot up, it can't recognize my wireless headset as audio I/O device.
I tried severall methods to work-around this issue, then somehow it recognized my wireless headset.
But still, it won't boot up propperly, and always stuck on that splash page for about 10 minutes.
Hope our develop team can look into this problem and solve it, after all, it's name is Resolve, right?

Diede van Vree

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:38 am

Small request:
Can "All commands" instead of "davinci resolve" be the preselected option in keyboard shortcuts.
If you do a search this makes way more sense.
Attachments
Aantekening 2019-07-10 103443.png
Aantekening 2019-07-10 103443.png (20.52 KiB) Viewed 16454 times
Windows 10 2004, Resolve Studio 17, Nvidia Studio 457.30
Intel 9960x (16C/32T), 128gb RAM, 1080 GTX 8GB
Mobo: Asus 299x TUF Mark 2

Diede van Vree

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:45 am

(Very) Small request:
At random times the mediapool in the edit page has shifted to the right. (cutting of the names of the files)
Can this be fix this and align to the left by default.

(Not having to slide it back manually ever time)
Attachments
Aantekening 2019-07-10 103545.png
Aantekening 2019-07-10 103545.png (49.82 KiB) Viewed 16453 times
Windows 10 2004, Resolve Studio 17, Nvidia Studio 457.30
Intel 9960x (16C/32T), 128gb RAM, 1080 GTX 8GB
Mobo: Asus 299x TUF Mark 2

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 pm

StudioSpectrum wrote:Fairlight Audio Automation request:

It would be very helpful if the various mixer faders could be grouped to operate together rather than each fader a separate control point when needed. Think two mono channels needing to be grouped as a stereo pair or a group of musical instruments being able to be balanced as a whole against the rest of the mix. Look to how ProTools handles this. Thanks in advance!

We do this already. Look in the fairlight menu, linked groups.
There are also VCA faders.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

waltervolpatto

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 2:50 pm

I got excited more than a year ago when I saw the annotation/markers and immediately at the NAB floor i asked for that to be put also in the color page. more than a year passed by...

1) make the annotation work in Color.... there is where are very useful when getting feedback form teh client...
2) make annotations visible in the main output (on/off) for client
3) make annotation be able to be saved in the gallery (on/off)
4) make all burn in info be able to be saved in the gallery (on/off)

I understand marketing cool stuff like Fusion or the new CUT page, as well as the new Neural Engine, but sometimes are the little things that will make our life easier....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

deanphillips1991

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Essential graphics text like Premiere Pro would be handy.

By this I mean the ability to have multiple lines of texts, to draw text wrap boxes on the screen, position things centre etc and add rectangles + circles in the background. Switched back to PP today and remember how much how easy text graphics were.
PC:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight Core CPU
Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME X370-PRO
RAM: 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE
GPU: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 -

Macbook:
2.4GHz 8-core i9 processor
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB
32GB RAM
2TB SSD storage

Jon Greene

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Jon Greene wrote:Cursor not visible when renaming clips and timelines

They are for me in Studio 16b5 for Windows.

Jim, Same set up here. Here, more specifically, is what I am seeing. Could you verify the same?
- Works in Edit Page[/color]
- Works in Media Page
- Fails in Fusion

Jon Greene

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Please add a "Do whatever it takes under the hood to <re-render|make afresh|make appear> the waveform for the selected audio clip" button.

It's OK if the the button is really big to fit all that text too...
because it is important. :D

Chris P

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Tom Early wrote:

Already works on mine

Figured out the issue: if the timeline is active (cmd-4) when going into Cinema Viewer Mode (P), the down and up arrows do not work. If the Timeline Viewer is active (cmd-5) it works fine. Seems like an oversight that it won't work from the timeline but will from the viewer: if you can activate the Cinema Viewer mode from a particular workspace window, all the same controls should work.

iMac 2013
16gb ram
current osx
most recent studio 16

Jon Greene

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Create a 'Media Offline' Smart Bin property.

Allow multiple-item re-linking from from within Smart Bins generated using this property.

Parse Fusion clips with underlying 'Media Offline' dependencies and present them in this Smart Bin.

Have this Smart Bin display a path field indicating the filesystem location and filename it cannot resolve.

In the case where a user mistakenly moves a file, the above features can reduce time required to identify and fix the resulting error(s).

northcreative

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 6:42 pm

An option for Inclusive or Exclusive out point in the timeline for Edit and Delivery.

georgekg

Re: [Davinci] Resolve 17 | Big Feature Requests list.

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 7:23 pm

BrandonFreeman wrote:Multiple levels of groups. I want to be able group everything under one grade (not a timeline grade or adjustment clip, as that will grade transitions and I don't want that), then sub-group different cameras/exposures for individual corrections that still carry across multiple clips.

+1
25 years in editing. On DR since v14

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB
Work: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 2TB
Cache: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 1TB
Render: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

georgekg

Re: [Davinci] Resolve 17 | Big Feature Requests list.

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Already asked for this, but to me a way to use another track in the timeline as an Alpha/Luma Matte similar to what Aftereffects and Premiere can do would be a big win. Think being able to do those True Detective opening titles type of transitions right into the Edit timeline. But also being able to finally use the Rampant tools in an easier and more intuitive way.

+1

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

georgekg

Re: DAVINCI 17 | Big feature request list.

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Pedro Dias wrote:Here are my suggestions, things I'd like to see in the next iteration, or possibly just as a patch:

Audio Waveforms inside Fusion, so it's easier to match frames to beats/sound
Preview Fonts. Font names tell me nothing
More crazy Fusion transitions/titles out of the box. Gotta show Premiere and Fcp who's king

+1

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 7:49 pm

StudioSpectrum wrote:It would be very helpful if the various mixer faders could be grouped to operate together

Isn't that what VCA's are for?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Diede van Vree wrote:Can "All commands" instead of "davinci resolve" be the preselected option in keyboard shortcuts.

Hells yes!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Jon Greene wrote: - Fails in Fusion

Yeah, even there I have the cursor when renaming. (Tested in beta 6.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Chris P wrote:if the timeline is active (cmd-4) when going into Cinema Viewer Mode (P), the down and up arrows do not work.

Same here. That should be corrected. All navigational and edit commands should function while in Cinema Viewer on the Edit page, regardless of which panel was active when you went in.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jon Greene

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Jon Greene wrote: - Fails in Fusion

Yeah, even there I have the cursor when renaming. (Tested in beta 6.)

I do now in 6 as well! Hurray.

Ben Slavens

Re: DAVINCI 17 | Big feature request list.

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:ProRes export on Windows, and moveable/sizeable docking UI elements please.

I must second this. ProRes export in Resolve on Windows would significantly improve my quality of life as a colorist because most of my clients' aquisition format is Prores, and edit on Mac software and so they expect ProRes files upon delivery. To many of them, Avid's codec is inferior despite them being almost the same in quality. I would love to not have to export in DNxHR and include the codec install file and explain that they need to install software on their Macs to attain native playback support. It's a little embarrassing, but I refuse to pay Apple's premium for similar computing horsepower vs PC.

Premiere/Media Encoder recently acquired licensing for ProRes export on Windows, but honestly that (and troubleshooting .xml import problems with clients that give me final cut 7 xml's exported from Premiere because .prproj files can't be imported to resolve natively) is the only reason I still retain my Adobe subscription.

ProRes on Windows FTW!
http://Chromatron.Digital
MOBO ASRock X570 Taichi
CPU AMD 3900X
RAM 4x 16GB Corsair RGB Pro 3200 CL16 DDR4
PCIe 4.0 Slot 0 - AMD Radeon VII 16GB
PSU Corsair RM1000i Gold-rated

Primetech

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pm

hello,

Could we get a Fx preview ?
It would show you a small snippet of what the Fx would look like.

Thank you

aglyons

DR17 | Feature Request - 2:1 Output Blanking like on P4K

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 4:02 am

The P4K had 2:1 guides added in firmware 6.1 but I don't see that ratio in the output blanking in Resolve.

waltervolpatto

Re: DR17 | Feature Request - 2:1 Output Blanking like on P4K

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 4:22 am

aglyons wrote:The P4K had 2:1 guides added in firmware 6.1 but I don't see that ratio in the output blanking in Resolve.

The blanking page should have two numbers (beside the presets): a H/V ratio.

In that way you will express the ration as [2]:[1] or something like [2048]:[858] or any arbitrary number and get exactly the ratio you need on the project.

waltervolpatto

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 am

Edge Detect:

I wish there is an improvement on that, a function that is called [generate alpha]:

1) the functionality is the same as a gray-scale function but,
2) the image will pass untouched and:
3) the edge detect will be piped in the alpha channel and it can be connected to the next node.

if I detect an edge is to generate an alpha and pipe that to another node (that I cannot do now): I have to add two nodes (one for the alpha and one to get the original image): It is unpractical.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests