Huge amount of files missing on the BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

yoeristor

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi all,

Big problem.. I am missing a huge amount of files on the BMPCC4K.
The file names jump from C048 to C115 and all the files between those numbers are not on the card.

The files are recorded to a Samsung 1TB SSD disc.

Never took out the SSD cable during filming and copied the whole folder to the external Seagate hard disc at the end of the day.
I can remember during filming watching the playback, that I was not able to find the files on the card (happens often).

How is this possible? Does anybody have the same experience?

Now the exciting part comes to tell the client that we don't have the footage. #BUMMER

Thanks,

Yoeri
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 2.49.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 2.49.04 PM.png (82.99 KiB) Viewed 2950 times

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Are the missing files recorded in BRAW as well? With same recording options?

I would try forensic data recovery software like Disk Drill as they may be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Craig Sawyer

Re: Huge amount of files missing on the BMPCC4K

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Defo try disk recovery software, although if you say you couldn’t watch the files back on the camera during the shoot, it kinda suggests there was a problem with recording at source as opposed to data corruption after. I know it doesn’t help now, but I would advise that if something doesn’t seem right on set (can’t play back media), sort at that point. Fingers crossed hope it works out
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

Craig Sawyer

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 pm

Actually as Rick said, did you change shooting format during the shoot? This would explain why some stuff didn’t show up on playback as you can only playback clips that were shot at your cameras current settings.
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 pm

If I experience dropped frames with CinemaDNG, I know I still get a folder with a bunch of frames in it. The OP is shooting BRAW. When you get drop frames in BRAW, given it appears to the file system as one file, is it possible no .braw file was recorded and that would explain the missing numbers?

Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:41 am

I have encountered this with BRAW when there is drop frames no file is created on UMP G2. It might be the same with P4K. I have not encountered it on the P4K yet. However I always set the camera to stop recording if there are drop frames so that is expected. I also monitor the camera to make sure that it is recording by letting it roll for a while after the director says cut. If you don't set the camera to stop recording on a drop frame, because it is a single file, the file might not get generated while you think it is recording. I suggest that you test that out. I'm sorry for your challenges.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Spencer Morris

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Are you running latest firmware on camera? I've read of issues with recording to ssd's with earlier firmware. I've also read posts of people using disk recovery solutions and sometimes being able to recover clips. Search on here and join some of the BMPCC4K Facebook groups and search there as well. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Spencer Morris

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Also when you got the SSD (T5 or standard SSD?) how did you format it? Do you format the card in-camera? EXFAT or HFS?

Chris Whitten

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 2:36 pm

There have been issues with Samsung SSD. never had an issue with my Wise on any BMPCC4K firmware.
Chris Whitten

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Wise Advanced owns two Pocket 4K cameras to test their wares. I like that. They design their data controller to work with the demands of cinema, not photography, not computers. If it works well for the most demanding use cases, it will work well with those other use cases. At the end of the day, nothing is more important than knowing you captured your footage. It may be that Wise costs a little more, but what does lost footage cost? A client?

Apologies for being so blunt, consider it tough love. You know I love you, but please...

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography