SSD Recorder Discontinued?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sean Popke

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm looking at buying the SSD Recorder for my UMP, but Adorama has it listed as "closeout." Is the recorder being discontinued or replaced with a new model soon?

Jamie LeJeune

Re: SSD Recorder Discontinued?

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 pm

All BMD's new model cameras -- URSA Mini Pro G2 and 4K Pocket Camera -- include direct recording to SSD through USB-C
I'd assume BMD will include recording over USB-C on all their future camera models as well, so the SSD Recorder at this point will only be useful for the older model cameras
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Denny Smith

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 11:14 pm

That may be, but it is still listed on the BMD website, for $395, which is what Adorama is still selling it for.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm

It may be ‘get it while you can’ and when stock is sold, it may be history. I hope I don’t regret passing up on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Vess Stoytchev

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 pm

The SSD recorder is great. We bought it with our UMP. It beats all the 3rd party recorders with it's simplicity, smart design and way of use. No hanging cables from the cfast slots, it looks good and you don't think where to attach the external drive.

Rick, get it while you can :idea:

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Vess, it is appealing to add another terabyte of media storage now I’m moving to a 4K capture for 2K delivery workflow.

Does it block the Timecode BNC connector on the back of the URSA Mini 4.6K? I need that free. I don’t use SDI IN/Out.

Edit
I see it doesn’t block anything and good I’m not planning on using my SDI In/Out since the SSD Recorder needs those.

Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 5:16 pm

They must abandoned ssd recorder for the bad idea on design.

- you waste too much in out sdi to use it
- you not monitor 4K out from SDI
- you cannot record out 4K only 2k from viewfinder out (I prefer to use it for viewfinder).

But the worst thing
- ssd connectors are not developed for in out from a box, it’s better to use ssd in a box/cadrige to avoid problem on ssd connectors and protect the structure

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks, Carlo. I was thinking of the Angelbird AVpro XT 1 TB card. Since it’s the full 9mm thickness, it should slide in properly with good alignment of the pins. I’d feel more nervous using a 7mm card though.

Not easy to find that SSD in Canada. Looks like an order directly to Austria or B&H Photo required.

I’m also somewhat apprehensive since that BMD SSD Recorder is only going to work with the URSA Mini. If my URSA Mini gives up the ghost, that’s pretty much useless due to the tight integration with bmOS whereas my other gear is generally able to be used elsewhere.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 3:32 am

Here’s a thought. I recall one if the criticisms of the URSA Mini SSD Recorder was that it only managed one card, that the overall space looked fat enough to handle two cards. What if the vendor is right, that the recorder is discontinued and will eventually sell all stock. But BMD may replace it with a m.2 compatible unit that holds two of the smaller and faster m.2 cards?

Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 4:15 am

That's a lot of speculation to hope for such a unit.
If you need faster recording occasionally, you can use the SSD recorder in parallel with one CF-card.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ed_Mantle

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:22 am

Uli Plank wrote:That's a lot of speculation to hope for such a unit.
If you need faster recording occasionally, you can use the SSD recorder in parallel with one CF-card.

Just to clarify, you mean taking it in turns, not in parallel. The SSD attachment disables internal recording so you can do consecutive but not concurrent records on different media.

Ed_Mantle

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:26 am

rick.lang wrote:What if the vendor is right, that the recorder is discontinued and will eventually sell all stock. But BMD may replace it with a m.2 compatible unit that holds two of the smaller and faster m.2 cards?

I like your optimism Rick - I was hoping the same for a new viewfinder when they were literally giving them away for free earlier this year (a month after I bought my camera). So I waited. 7 months later nothing and I'm still without a viewfinder : )

'If i need it, get it' is the advice i'd give myself.

I'm personally going to stick with CFast and SD. I'll upgrade from G1 to G3 at some stage and can record all I need in 4K on SD for now with CFast for those extra special moments.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 am

No, the front (lens side) CF-Slot can be used in parallel. Well, if you insist, it’s sequential, since data is written alternating to each memory.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Sean Popke

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 12:27 pm

I talked to Adorama yesterday, and they stated that it was being phased out. So, according to them, it's being discontinued.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Wise-Advanced has introduced a CFast 2 3500x 1 TB card with the same performance as my Wise 256GB cards. Probably all I’d ever need for the URSA Mini 4.6K or any Super 35 camera and would match the 1 TB I have on their Portable SSD for the BMPCC4K.

Their 128GB SDXC UHS-II card performs very well and they’ve got a 285/250 MBs card now too.

Wise and Angelbird seem to be locked in to the Video market. Hope more folks appreciate these manufacturers’ wares.

Sean, I think I’ll pass on it as the budget is going to that F6 and the newer Mac Pro.

Rick Lang

Ed_Mantle

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 am

Uli Plank wrote:No, the front (lens side) CF-Slot can be used in parallel. Well, if you insist, it’s sequential, since data is written alternating to each memory.

I'm confused - are you talking about the UMP G1?

I'm sure I read that using the SSD Module on the back via SDI means the CFast and SD slots are all disabled?

Ed_Mantle

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 11:25 am

rick.lang wrote:Wise and Angelbird seem to be locked in to the Video market. Hope more folks appreciate these manufacturers’ wares.

If I'm recording Blackmagic Raw I can get Q5 on my fast Angelbird SD cards in most frame size/rates - but they're unreliable on 8:1 and up for anything other than 25/30fps at 2K or higher. I either get dropped frames or weird frozen/slowed moments. I've been told by Angelbird that they're working on optimisIng the cards for BRaw but that'll still mean a firmware update that I'll have to send the cards in for. I didn't buy the UMP G1 thinking I'd be able to record Braw to SD so I don't feel hard done by particularly as far as Blackmagic goes, though i do think I spent a lot of money on new SD cards that don't perform any better than the far cheaper 90mbps SanDisk cards I already had. (I've already RMA'd after speaking to Angelbird who said the cards must be faulty but have the same issue with new cards).

Haven't tried Wise - I might trial one but realistically I'll just pick up some CFast cards and see if I can hit Q0/3:1 in 4.6k 60fps for more than 10 seconds before a frame drop.

Alomar

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 9:17 am

rick.lang wrote:Thanks, Carlo. I was thinking of the Angelbird AVpro XT 1 TB card. Since it’s the full 9mm thickness, it should slide in properly with good alignment of the pins. I’d feel more nervous using a 7mm card though.

Not easy to find that SSD in Canada. Looks like an order directly to Austria or B&H Photo required.

I’m also somewhat apprehensive since that BMD SSD Recorder is only going to work with the URSA Mini. If my URSA Mini gives up the ghost, that’s pretty much useless due to the tight integration with bmOS whereas my other gear is generally able to be used elsewhere.

They have replaced the SSD recorder with a new version that uses the USB-C port instead.

I have an older version URSA so I can’t use that and I don’t want to use something that takes up my CFast slots!

I guess I’ll have to stick to CFast cards.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 2:53 am

I'm using this on my G1, works very well. I don't know if the cables are still made, though.
It works only in the rear slot, but I can use a CF card in the front one.

SSD_linke_Seite.jpg
SSD_linke_Seite.jpg (217.07 KiB) Viewed 2132 times

Return to Cinematography