New Feature for Monitors

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

raythompsontn

New Feature for Monitors

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 pm

I have a couple of dual monitor displays that I use for showing individual cameras in the studio. These are easier to see than the view on the multiview. What is missing is Tally indicators on the monitor. Yes, I can get the live camera indication by wiring in a Tally box into the DB9 connector. But I believe there is a simpler way.

Since the Tally information is being sent on the network, and the monitors can be networked (all mine are), it would be nice if there was an option in the software settings for the monitors to detect a specific Tally input selected and display the appropriate border.

An option box to select which input should be monitored for Tally, or an option for none. The monitoring should include not only the live input selected but also the preview input selected. Set the option for one monitor to watch for Input 5 selected and the border on the monitor becomes red when selected as live or green when selected for preview.

The data is flowing to the monitors, it would be really nice to make use of that data, especially on the monitors that are used to display camera views.

Andrew Martin

Re: New Feature for Monitors

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 pm

This is a user forum. You'll need to take a ticket over on the BMD webpages for it to register with them. But, it's a request that has been asked and ongoing for many yrs. Don't go holding ur breath

From my mobile using Tapatalk

Xtreemtec

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Indeed don't hold your breath.. The monitor is designed back in 2014 or so. And since there has been hardly an update on the SmartView Duo monitors.

I hope they come out soon with an update for a 12G version. Which would improve the 4K workflow. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Howard Roll

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 9:48 pm

You're thinking about it backwards. You're asking the monitor to ask the switcher what camera is live. Traditionally the monitor is told when to be red/green/yellow by the switcher/router/multiview/Tallyman. The protocol already exists within the monitor for this. The development needs to be on the switcher side.

Good Luck

roger.suski

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 10:04 pm

If using the BMD dual monitors, you can achieve this through scripting...I happen to do this with JustMacros and the bordercolor(?) property -- I've slept since I wrote that code. Anyway, use it at my shading station so I know whether the camera I'm about to mess with is on or set to go to air (or ether <g>)

Robert Betzner

PostThu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 am

Indeed the network idea is not very good. Every single monitor needs to open a connection to the Atem for that. The smaller Atems accept only 4-5 connections at the same time before they quit communicating with the network at all. That includes any tally interface, software, hardware controller...

The approach to use Just Macros for that as a single point of controlling all monitors with only one connection to the Atem is the way to go. I think you could even do this with an arduino and the Skaarhoj library for Atem - they have a library for the smartview monitors too. Build a simple 30$ controller out of an arduino and put it into your network - done.

Cheers

Robert

raythompsontn

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Robert Betzner wrote:The approach to use Just Macros for that as a single point of controlling all monitors with only one connection to the Atem is the way to go. I think you could even do this with an arduino and the Skaarhoj library for Atem - they have a library for the smartview monitors too. Build a simple 30$ controller out of an arduino and put it into your network - done.

Nope. I am not developing a software package to control the monitor when that information is already within the network traffic that ATEM sends. The information is available to other laptops connected to the switcher, it should be available to the monitors and the monitors pick up the information.

Or if you have already solved the problem point me to the solution, including the code, that solved the problem.

Return to Live Production