DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests list

• Author

Trensharo

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests list

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 6:58 pm

1b) The Dual Monitor View already pretty much does that.

3a/b) +1

4) +20

5) +100. It's even worse cause you can't move your mouse to the bottom to surface the taskbar. It basically doesn't even behave like a proper Windows application.'

@ Enfinity

The main concern I have is ProRes export on Windows. Majority of our clients want ProRes, so I have to export Uncompressed Quicktimes and then convert them to ProRes using mac, which is quite a long process in the workflow.

You can't render to network storage and then set up a watch folder on the Mac, so that it just automatically converts whatever files you add there. Also, is Uncompressed QuickTime absolutely necessary? Don't think you lose much going from DNxHR HQ/444 to ProRes (in my experience).

There are other Windows NLEs that can render ProRes, though (Premiere Pro, Edius Pro, VEGAS Pro). 2/3 aren't subscription products, and relatively cheap, so you don't need a Mac to render ProRes...

Jim Simon

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:55 pm

Enfinity wrote:Then i would like to have an option for selecting some presets - for example with data burn-in.

I would find it useful if the current Data Burn-In settings were saved as part of a Deliver Preset.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

BenSchranz

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
bclontz wrote:I would love if you could at least support the UT Video codec.

I think Resolve should be a VfW capable program. Meaning it should read/write to any codec installed on the system - UT, Lagarith, HuffYUV, Cedocida, etc.

If it doesn't already support it, lets add HAP to that list as well.

AWaywardAdventurer

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 6:22 pm

I work at a studio, and we would LOVE to use resolve for more stuff than we currently do. It's a great piece of software and one of the few that actually lets us convert and interpret between different colorspaces correctly.

Two things that would make us use it significantly more:

At the moment, clip name burn-ins don't change when playing back. Only once you pause, then it updates. If a client comes in, it's annoying that we have to explain to them that resolve is buggy and won't update the burn-in during playback, and if they want to know the shot name we'll have to pause it.

Better python integration. Currently, we use Hiero for most things, since it allows us to automate super repetitive tasks. Frequently we need to export 100+ VFX shots with LUTs applied, and send them to a client. Hiero is terrible with color stuff, so it would be great to move over to Resolve, but currently the python abilities are essentially non-existent.

For example: Currently, at least on my home computer, I can't create a new bin. There's a function for it, but if you run it, it just doesn't do anything. Won't even give an error.

I would love to be able to use python to change the LUT applied to a node, import CDL files, and apply them (or ability to adjust the lift/gamma/gain, just basic color stuff, so we can replicate a CDL, if not import them.)

Even just a few basic python functions to allow us to do more stuff would be great. Most film industry software has python support and it allows us to do some incredible things and save so much time, it would be great to see Resolve catch up with the rest of the industry in this regard.

Russtafa

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Been asked for before but Eucon implementation.
With the announcement of the AVID S1 and a lot of people I know using the older Artist Mix those Protools and Logic Pro users might just come over and give Fairlight a try.
Blackmagic are definitely "missing a trick" here and lots of Protools users are getting fed up with AVID caning them for exorbitant yearly subscriptions
iMac Pro (2017)
MacOS Big Sur
Processory 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W
64 GB of memory
Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 64 - 16 GB
Multiple SSD drives and constant supply of Coffee

Jon Greene

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Please improve the Inspector UI for usability.

Consider all innovations that:
- Can help reduce mouse movement to access controls. I've got that carpal tunnel feeling.
- Can help visually represent multiple related settings. Horiz, Vert, X, Y

Please establish project-level Grid granularity controls for snapping and governing all coordinates. This would help reduce tedious mouse movements or excessive number entry and would also help maintain visual consistency

Please explain the mystery of why and how some controls conveniently appear in Edit's Inspector and others require spelunking into a Fusion node somewhere. Some Text items for example may appear in either or both locations. I'd really like to be able to build a graphic and specify exactly *which* controls will appear top of the list in *Edit's Inspector* If this is already possible (other than with custom Python code), then please reply with a manual page number, or link to instructions wherever they may be.

HeapsGood

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 12:10 am

AWaywardAdventurer wrote:Better python integration. Currently, we use Hiero for most things, since it allows us to automate super repetitive tasks. Frequently we need to export 100+ VFX shots with LUTs applied, and send them to a client. Hiero is terrible with color stuff, so it would be great to move over to Resolve, but currently the python abilities are essentially non-existent.

Even just a few basic python functions to allow us to do more stuff would be great. Most film industry software has python support and it allows us to do some incredible things and save so much time, it would be great to see Resolve catch up with the rest of the industry in this regard.

Big +1 to this, would love to move away from Hiero/Nuke Studio.

And just more UI improvements in general. Mentioned this in another thread, but to me, everything feels 'chunky'. A compact option with smaller toolbars and tracks would go a long way.

BenSchranz

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 1:27 am

HeapsGood wrote:everything feels 'chunky'. A compact option with smaller toolbars and tracks would go a long way.

+10000

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

AlexLTDLX

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 3:15 am

I don't want new features. I want the program to be stable and an actual usable tool in a professional environment again. Ever since 15 came out, it's been buggy, unstable and borderline unusable. It crashes upon export on all of our machines unless we set export speed down to 50%; and just today I wasted 7.5 hours trying to get a clean export. I kept getting hits on the files in a half hour show that WERE GENERATED BY RESOLVE IN THE FIRST PLACE. And I missed our network delivery deadline. Thanks a lot, BMD.

I had to watch all 22:30 of this show SEVEN TIMES. I finally gave up trying to get a clean export and pieced together a show with exported pieces that were all damaged in different ways. In other words, I had to donate basically a full day's work (effectively pulling a double shift) because BMD has gone down the rabbit hole of trying to add too much too fast.

AND STOP LISTENING TO THAT GENIUS WHO INSISTS ON USING RESOLVE AS A DAW. It is not a DAW, and 99.9999% of editors don't need a DAW. Stop the madness. You'll lose customers faster than you ever thought possible. That's why we left Premiere in the first place. That and the "rental ware" concept.

Get it together, BMD!

BenSchranz

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 3:20 am

AlexLTDLX wrote:I don't want new features. I want the program to be stable and an actual usable tool in a professional environment again. Ever since 15 came out, it's been buggy, unstable and borderline unusable. It crashes upon export on all of our machines unless we set export speed down to 50%; and just today I wasted 7.5 hours trying to get a clean export. I kept getting hits on the files in a half hour show that WERE GENERATED BY RESOLVE IN THE FIRST PLACE. And I missed our network delivery deadline. Thanks a lot, BMD.

I had to watch all 22:30 of this show SEVEN TIMES. I finally gave up trying to get a clean export and pieced together a show with exported pieces that were all damaged in different ways. In other words, I had to donate basically a full day's work (effectively pulling a double shift) because BMD has gone down the rabbit hole of trying to add too much too fast.

AND STOP LISTENING TO THAT GENIUS WHO INSISTS ON USING RESOLVE AS A DAW. It is not a DAW, and 99.9999% of editors don't need a DAW. Stop the madness. You'll lose customers faster than you ever thought possible. That's why we left Premiere in the first place. That and the "rental ware" concept.

Get it together, BMD!
Oof. Someone had a bad day...sorry to hear pal, but you make a good point.

Premiere is shite right now because of the issues with 2019 stability. I haven't personally ran into any issues with Resolve, but if that's the case, then why make the switch at all?

Stability should be the #1 concern of any NLE software.

Peter Cave

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 6:56 am

BenSchranz wrote:Stability should be the #1 concern of any NLE software.

+100
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Chevy Ojanco

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 8:26 am

I wanted to propose some improvements:
- change in the order of effects in the Fairlight mixer, in addition to being able to copy specific effects to other channels simply by dragging the desired effect.
- possibility to change the order of the tracks, in the Edit and Fairlight tabs, by clicking, dragging and dropping.
- Reliable synchronization of the volumetric and waveforms with what is really heard. There is still a lot of time lag between what the level meters and waveforms show and what is reproduced and output by loudspeakers.
- avoid too much compression in the audio when exporting in H.264 and in MP4 since a little distortion is noticed. Possibility of using a bitrate greater than 192kbs in AAC.
- Be able to send audio signals from one channel to another to be able to use plugins that allow the possibility of using Sidechain.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 9:12 am

AlexLTDLX wrote:I don't want new features. I want the program to be stable and an actual usable tool in a professional environment again. Ever since 15 came out, it's been buggy, unstable and borderline unusable. It crashes upon export on all of our machines unless we set export speed down to 50%; and just today I wasted 7.5 hours trying to get a clean export. I kept getting hits on the files in a half hour show that WERE GENERATED BY RESOLVE IN THE FIRST PLACE. And I missed our network delivery deadline. Thanks a lot, BMD.

Get it together, BMD!

Hi Alex, please assist by providing your system details and log files when you crash etc.. these really help.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 10:28 am

It strikes me that there are so many different experiences with resolve. seems more then any other software

for me everthing runs pretty stable, apart from some bugs/teething problems. and apart from fusion. though i do hear others with smooth experiences there. very weird. and yes, i also experienced rage-moments. and not just for a minute. but lately, i had those moments more often in premiere. mostly when i avoid the fusion page, i experience almost no flaws.

maybe bmd should release a workstation + dedicated OS, which garantuees a perfectly working resolve ^^

Christian Korahyn

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 10:53 am

Ability to replace clips that don't have any TC.

Jamboo

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 11:51 am

I want better automatic audio sycronisation for Multicam its there but for me moust of the time not realaible enoth to work with. In Final Cut this works like a Dream.

Take some time to look over what you have alredy have and make it better. Want to have timing controls for 3d Text in editing the way to go to fusion first and somehow make this working is Time consuming.

[i]Have Resolve on 2 PC on one I have much more Bugs in Resolve than on the other one Both Win 10. So all the bugs are not all conected with Resolve itself I think.

Resolve is an awsome Program keep up the good work. ;) [/i]

sbarbieri

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 4:23 pm

1) UI scaling under windows 10: When I switch to 125% in Windows the DaVinci UI is scaling way too small for that 25% change - it looks like that DaVinci has nothing in between (looks more like 100% scaling) - and so it is not usable. Switching back to 150% of course makes the UI readable again but as stated - there's a lot of screen space wasted like this.

It seems like there is no inbetween setting / DaVinci does not scale correctly. A few years back Adobe had the same problem with their programs. Please correct this, thanks.

2) separate, FULL SCREEN WINDOWS for each of: timeline, viewers, project, sound mixing and monitor output

DietmarLin

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Sound library: filter by folder, I am sure, would be great
Last edited by DietmarLin on Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 5:06 pm

Jon Greene wrote:Please improve the Inspector UI for usability.

Consider all innovations that

That's very general. You don't have anything specific to recommend?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jon Greene

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Jon Greene wrote:Please improve the Inspector UI for usability.

Consider all innovations that

That's very general. You don't have anything specific to recommend?

Jim... hmm? Examples were given, but were not quoted.

Jon Greene wrote:Consider all innovations that:
- Can help reduce mouse movement to access controls. I've got that carpal tunnel feeling.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Jon Greene wrote: - Can help reduce mouse movement to access controls. I've got that carpal tunnel feeling.

Those are still very general.

What is the editor asking to be moved where to reduce mouse movement?

How does he want things better visualized?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

DietmarLin

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 5:25 pm

deliver page: and here is still another suggestion: free choice of video data rates, not only the proposed.

Jon Greene

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Jon Greene wrote: - Can help reduce mouse movement to access controls. I've got that carpal tunnel feeling.

Those are still very general.

What is the editor asking to be moved where to reduce mouse movement?

How does he want things better visualized?

Fair enough ... will add some more details time permitting thanks

robozb

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 8:30 pm

Copy/ move files in Media Storage :)

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 9:38 pm

DietmarLin wrote: free choice of video data rates, not only the proposed.

For which codecs? Which formats? You talking about video or audio? Or both?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 10:00 pm

We can copy and paste the contents of one node into another. I would like to expand on that and be able to Select/Cut/Copy/Paste actual nodes, similar to such operations on clips in a timeline.

This would require some way of specifying where in an existing node tree the Paste would occur.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 10:21 pm

I would like the ability to drag the line between Viewer and Clips on the Color page, thus resizing elements above and below.

It's the only page in the program where this isn't possible.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

BenSchranz

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 3:24 am

Encountered this today...

Please add a tick box that says (do not show message in the future).Image

Nathan Morgan

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 5:11 am

It would be great if you could render cache color output for Adjustment layers.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

ritch1337

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 6:44 am

Nathan Morgan wrote:It would be great if you could render cache color output for Adjustment layers.

+100000000
Radek Richter
CEO of the rvisual s.r.o.

Windows 10 Pro

- i9-10980XE (18 cores)
- 2x RTX 2080 Ti (24GB in total)
- 128 GB of ram

DietmarLin

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 9:12 am

Jim Simon wrote:
DietmarLin wrote: free choice of video data rates, not only the proposed.

For which codecs? Which formats? You talking about video or audio? Or both?

Hi Jim Simon,
mainly I think of: video datarates, Quicktime, MP4, H264, mainly I think of 1080i as well as 1080p,
and by the way it would be nice to include 2160p too
greetings

ArminJ

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 am

Hi everyone,

it would be great, if the timebar would not snap to the edits while the clips are still magnetic.
Timebar snapping to edits could be activated via holding the shift key.

The alt + scoll navigation in the timeline should have its center on the cursor and not on the timebar.

The saver node in Fusion should also be able to render Quicktimes.

DietmarLin

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 11:28 am

sound library
it would also be desirable if you could search by folder :)

Aaron Green

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Aaron Green wrote:I would love to see tabs above the EDIT timeline of all existing timelines. Unless I'm missing something - it's cumbersome to go find another timeline name and click on it in the bin, especially when bouncing between two.

it's there.

Thanks for the reply Walter. I can’t seem to find where or how to add the tabs.

SamBroggs

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Rendering out true 25i from 50p footage! You only get 25 PsF
mbp late 2012, 16gb ram, 2,6ghz, geforce GT650M, davinci resolve 15

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 2:33 pm

DietmarLin wrote:mainly I think of: video datarates, Quicktime, MP4, H264

We can already set those manually in the Restrict box. You're thinking of something different?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 2:35 pm

Aaron Green wrote:I can’t seem to find where or how to add the tabs.

In the Timeline View options, turn on Stacked Timelines.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Aaron Green

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Aaron Green wrote:I can’t seem to find where or how to add the tabs.

In the Timeline View options, turn on Stacked Timelines.

Thank you!

DietmarLin

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

We can already set those manually in the Restrict box. You're thinking of something different?

Yes I know, but, if I want to export to MP4, H264 and 1080i, for example, I haven't found a way to set the video bitrate to 9Mbs.
The output is progressive even if I have enabled video field processing in the master settings.
Maybe I should have better said that I couldn't find a way to output in 1080i at restricted bitrate
Last edited by DietmarLin on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarasota

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Please, oh pretty please, incorporate ASIO Audio support... I get it, you guys want people to buy your hardware, hell, I own a Decklink Studio 4K but I don't route to it's audio in's/out's... I would love to be able to take full advantage of my audio hardware, not just access 2ch's at a time.

If you guys want Fairlight to be taken seriously by any facility that uses non-BMD multi-CH. audio hardware, you need to support ASIO... Avid tried the propriety hardware thing for years, but finally relented and let users use 3rd party I/O (most people don't like being locked into one specific brand of hardware - whether by choice or facility design).

-Cheers
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 | Asus Proart MB | i9 10850k | 128gb ram | Gigabyte RTX 3080 | Decklink Studio 4k 6G | *1x RME UFX+ | 1x MOTU 24i/O | 2x MOTU 896MK3 | 1x MOTU 828MKII | Win 11 Pro | Display Driver: 546.33 SD | Audio Drivers: v1.21-TB

DietmarLin

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 pm

I actually only wanted to make the suggestion to be able to set the interlaced flag in DR.
I had already addressed the problem in the topic "1080i at a datarate of 9Mbs" and simply wanted to include it again in this topic.
Jim Simon wrote:

Nathan Morgan

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Resizing is a place that I find has lot of room for operator error. I know it has been mentioned a number of times on the forum that a detect blanking tool would be great but if that is not possible. The next best thing would be some helper tools that make resizing a little safer.

One would be an option to have the rotation angle tied to zoom. So that when you rotated the image the zoom control automatically compensated? This could be activated by holding down a keyboard modifier. Or it could be it's own dedicated tool. A set even further would be a tool that would allow you to draw a line on the screen and have DaVinci do the math to straighten that line for you!

Second would be an option to restrict sizing controls to the visible area. This would be especially helpful when doing pan and scan type operations. If there was a checkbox that restrict sizing and did not allow the image to go off screen that would be great!
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 6:04 pm

DietmarLin wrote:I couldn't find a way to output in 1080i

I think that's separate from any bitrate issue. I've seen others complain about Resolve's Interlaced handling as well.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Chad Capeland

Re: DAVINCI 17 | Big feature request list.

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 6:46 pm

Ryan Humphrey wrote:Technically a Fusion request, but the entire 3D system in Fusion needs a ground-up re-write.

The 3D system in Fusion is the most functional and modern part, currently.

How about we start on getting an efficient UI and proper documentation first? The last thing we need is BMD breaking more stuff in Fusion.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

crispin

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Better text tools. Right now it's the only thing that really makes me curse out loud.

Jon Greene

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Enfinity wrote:Then i would like to have an option for selecting some presets - for example with data burn-in.

I would find it useful if the current Data Burn-In settings were saved as part of a Deliver Preset.

+1
I'm currently 'downresing' a 1080 to 720 and I keep 'chasing' the data burn in logo around.
The x,y location represented in Edit with safe areas on and the appropriate target aspect ratio selected is not what Deliver delivers. I'm getting close, but it's sad it doesn't just work and requires several iterations.

SamBroggs

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 9:35 pm

Get the clip mixer back! To mix clip levels with a USB fader.
mbp late 2012, 16gb ram, 2,6ghz, geforce GT650M, davinci resolve 15

bclontz

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 11:50 pm

Maybe a crazy suggestion, but I think there should be another workspace dedicated to motion graphics, with an interface similar to after effects or apple motion. We already have 2 different video editors, so why not? :mrgreen:

DietmarLin

PostSat Jul 27, 2019 6:38 am

Jim Simon wrote:
DietmarLin wrote:I couldn't find a way to output in 1080i

I think that's separate from any bitrate issue. I've seen others complain about Resolve's Interlaced handling as well.

Yes and no,
If I export video in Quicktime, DNxHD, there are only a few bitrates to choose from and interlaced output
is possible. OK, I think we'll leave it at that.
Many thanks

DietmarLin

PostSat Jul 27, 2019 6:45 am

If we could import RW2-stills into DR that would be very fine, no need to convert them from outside anylonger
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests