Loud Fan

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AustinH

Loud Fan

PostMon May 20, 2013 6:33 am

I've seen some posts about loud fans, but I haven't seen anyone upload any samples.
Here's a quick un-edited clip just to show how loud the fan is. This is straight through the camera, I don't have any external audio on it because I wanted to try to capture the full sound of the fan.

It sounds like it's clicking or grinding. Is this normal?

sean mclennan

Re: Loud Fan

PostMon May 20, 2013 7:11 am

that is not normal...contact BM support.

MaxEmanuel

PostMon May 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Probably you just have to replace the fan so you don't have to send the whole camera in. Write to BMD and ask them or find out what fan is built in an order a replacement yourself - it should be just a view bucks... that's how I would do it ;)
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany

AustinH

PostMon May 20, 2013 4:25 pm

I attempted to contact them when I first got the camera because I thought it was a bit unusual. Loud fans are fine, but the clicking almost sounds like it's hitting something on the sides. I tried to contact using the send request button in the support, but I never heard back from anyone.

Do they typically respond well? I've just sent a second request now. I checked my spam box to see if they sent something and I just didn't get it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's probably better to contact by phone I'm sure.

I maybe have shot with this camera two, maybe three times. Is the fan really not under a warranty? That would be pretty horrible to make people pay for something that's clearly a defect after spending $3,000 on the camera that should work right?

Christine Peterson

PostMon May 20, 2013 4:43 pm

AustinH wrote:I attempted to contact them when I first got the camera because I thought it was a bit unusual. Loud fans are fine, but the clicking almost sounds like it's hitting something on the sides. I tried to contact using the send request button in the support, but I never heard back from anyone.

Do they typically respond well? I've just sent a second request now. I checked my spam box to see if they sent something and I just didn't get it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's probably better to contact by phone I'm sure.

I maybe have shot with this camera two, maybe three times. Is the fan really not under a warranty? That would be pretty horrible to make people pay for something that's clearly a defect after spending $3,000 on the camera that should work right?

I think it usually takes about a week to hear back on an email support ticket. It's definitely much faster to call. You can find the number for support here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company/

Support will be able to tell you what to do, but I do know that the fan is user replaceable, so I don't think you'll need to actually send it in. Instructions for how to replace the fan are in the user manual.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

MaxEmanuel

PostMon May 20, 2013 4:44 pm

It shure is under warranty but the question is how long you will be willing to wait for repair! There are so many delays with the cameras themselfs that I wouldn't expect a fast repair.

However, there are two screws on the bottom where the fan is built in. Screw them out and check if there is anything wrong with it. Could be something pretty simple...

AustinH

PostMon May 20, 2013 5:03 pm

The community on here is insane. I can't believe how quickly people responded.
Thank you all, I'll give them a call and hopefully get it (Davinci) resolved.

Bad joke.
Now I expect no more help ever again.
;)

Thanks everyone.

MaxEmanuel

PostMon May 20, 2013 5:06 pm

You're welcome and have fun with your bmcc ;)

AustinH

PostTue May 21, 2013 1:06 am

Unfortunately, it's looking like they're asking me to send the whole thing in. Bummer! They said they wanted to do general testing to make sure there weren't any other problems, and that if it was the fan, they would replace it. Now it's time for time to go extremely slow. I'm really hoping this isn't going to take forever..

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue May 21, 2013 3:20 am

AustinH wrote:Unfortunately, it's looking like they're asking me to send the whole thing in. Bummer! They said they wanted to do general testing to make sure there weren't any other problems, and that if it was the fan, they would replace it. Now it's time for time to go extremely slow. I'm really hoping this isn't going to take forever..

Hi Austin: Alternatively, you might ask BMD to sell you a replacement fan & send it to you. The fan is a standard user-replacable item, as described on page 52 in the BMCC user manual. I think it's supposed to sell for less than $100, but that might vary by location. When you receive the fan, you can install it yourself, and "see" if the new fan is relatively quiet. Note: The screws on the bottom of the cam might need a tiny drop of lubricant so they unscrew easily.

If the replacement fan is quiet, then great, you're done. Or, if the new fan is very noisy (for example, because the blades are rubbing against something inside the cam that's mis-aligned), put the original fan back in the camera and send the cam to BMD for in-warranty service.

It's up to you which approach you feel is best for your situation. Is paying for a replacement fan preferable to being without your cam for an unknown number of days? Only you can answer that question.

Best of luck either way. Cheers.

-

sean mclennan

PostTue May 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Yes, take your fan out and inspect it. You should be able to see if it has any external damage. It's only four screws. The only think I can think of is that the actual power cable for the fan might be touching. Otherwise, the fan is shielded, so I don't know how anything else could get in there...

Return to Cinematography