Highlights clip at 896 in ACES

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Harkness

Highlights clip at 896 in ACES

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:02 pm

hey guys no problem in davinci yrgb color space, but when I put ACES on, my BRAW footage all clips at 896.
I am able to uncrush everything beneath 896 and bring back all the highlights back with the exposure slider in the RAW tab, then boosting up shadows like crazy to get the image viewable. This seems like a crazy work around, mind you it works but doesnt seem right. I know others have had this problem as they have specifically reached out to me.

Camera is P4K but I have heard this happening with another camera from someone else. Doesnt matter what compression it is. I am using imac pro and this happened with mojave and catalina (beta) os.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Highlights clip at 896 in ACES

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 12:17 am

Hi, what Resolve version?
What ODT are you using? Can you post a screenshot of your color management setup?
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

James Harkness

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 6:07 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Hi, what Resolve version?
What ODT are you using? Can you post a screenshot of your color management setup?

sorry for the late reply captain. I have been using the latest versions of resolve 16 beta's. it has occured in each. I am using Rec709. Here is a screen shot of the set up. Aces ccT is cut off to show you that I have no luts or anything selected underneath those settings as well.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 2.06.29 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 2.06.29 pm.png (409.91 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 9:33 pm

You need to assign an IDT, either in Project Settings or at the clip level, for things to work right. You don't have one for the Project, do you have one applied to the clips?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 12:29 am

@James - I'm not able to reproduce this. Can you send me a Blackmagic RAW frame of your shot? From the RAW panel use the "Export Frame" button and send just the single Blackmagic RAW frame. A Resolve project file would be useful too. You can PM me if you wish to keep it private.

@Jim - You don't need an IDT specified for RAW footage, the RAW decode handles it. For cDNG the information needed for an IDT is in each DNG's metadata, for Blackmagic RAW Resolve will automatically set the colour space and gamma to the SDK's ACES setting from your project settings and disable the dropdowns in the RAW panel as Resolve is handling it directly.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Now that you say that, I think I do recall testing that with cDNG a while back. Changing the IDT didn't change the results at all.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Here's something that may help the problem.

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

James Harkness

PostTue Jul 30, 2019 1:02 pm

CaptainHook wrote:@James - I'm not able to reproduce this. Can you send me a Blackmagic RAW frame of your shot? From the RAW panel use the "Export Frame" button and send just the single Blackmagic RAW frame. A Resolve project file would be useful too. You can PM me if you wish to keep it private.

@Jim - You don't need an IDT specified for RAW footage, the RAW decode handles it. For cDNG the information needed for an IDT is in each DNG's metadata, for Blackmagic RAW Resolve will automatically set the colour space and gamma to the SDK's ACES setting from your project settings and disable the dropdowns in the RAW panel as Resolve is handling it directly.

Here sir is a frame with highlights clipped as I said. and the project file. also a screenshot of the waveform which you will see yourself (hopefully) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 8.59.34 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 8.59.34 am.png (167.4 KiB) Viewed 1995 times

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 12:17 am

James Harkness wrote:Here sir is a frame with highlights clipped as I said. and the project file. also a screenshot of the waveform which you will see yourself (hopefully) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I still can't reproduce even using your project file and your clip. I tested on a iMac Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 and tried both Metal and OpenCL from Resolve preferences. This was with Resolve 16 Public Beta 7. I also tried on a MacBook Pro running Mojave.

Do you have GPU set to Auto (Metal) or OpenCL?

I've attached a screenshot of the parade I see with your clip in your project. I will see if someone from the Resolve side can help reproduce because I think this is more a Resolve issue than Blackmagic RAW.

braw-aces.png
braw-aces.png (903.31 KiB) Viewed 1969 times

James Harkness

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 3:20 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
James Harkness wrote:Here sir is a frame with highlights clipped as I said. and the project file. also a screenshot of the waveform which you will see yourself (hopefully) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I still can't reproduce even using your project file and your clip. I tested on a iMac Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 and tried both Metal and OpenCL from Resolve preferences. This was with Resolve 16 Public Beta 7. I also tried on a MacBook Pro running Mojave.

Do you have GPU set to Auto (Metal) or OpenCL?

I've attached a screenshot of the parade I see with your clip in your project. I will see if someone from the Resolve side can help reproduce because I think this is more a Resolve issue than Blackmagic RAW.

braw-aces.png

Captain, turn off "use GPU for blackmagic RAW decode" and you should be able to reproduce the issue. just found that to be the problem. I had it turned off becuase of a previous bug that basically jacked up the GPU or something to make these weird colour bars during a cross transition or something simple.

Thanks for your help and time sir in diagnosing this problem. I guess the other glitch has been fixed now so I can use my GPU for decoding BRAW!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 9:40 pm

Thank you, I can reproduce this now. We will look into it, thanks.

gcurpas

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:56 am

Hey I have the exact same problem. My Gpus are 2x Titan X 12GB Maxwell. In my case, I had to Turn ON "use gpu for blackmagic Raw decoding" to remove the 832 IRE highlughts cap.

Return to DaVinci Resolve