Not another 5D3 Hack thread...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dillan Stockham

Not another 5D3 Hack thread...

PostTue May 21, 2013 3:18 am

Hey guys,

I have a pocket camera on pre-order have not yet fully made my decision about what to do. I want RAW video for the dynamic range to produce better real estate videos. I pre-ordered the pocket camera with the intention of using it with my Canon glass with the MetaBones Speed Booster for MFT when it comes out and have a 2x crop factor compared to FF. This would limit my on wide glass, and more specifically "quality" wide glass when compared to wide glass on FF. I currently own 2x 5D mkIII's and that has been what i've been using so far for stills and video for real estate. Do you think I would gain anything from the pocket camera, while losing the quality wide angle, vs Raw 5D3? I am contemplating canceling my pocket camera order and sticking with what I already have considering my only investment will only be in memory cards and a hard drive, vs a camera, speed booster, an even wider lens, larger/faster cards, and hard drive.

What do you think? Would I be better off with 12 Stops DR and sharper/cleaner wide angle, or 13 stops DR and softer/less "clean" lenses. Also consider low light for darker rooms, the 5D3 will be better in this area.

ChrisBarcellos

Re: Not another 5D3 Hack thread...

PostTue May 21, 2013 3:41 am

Just how good does your Real Estate video need to be.

I have had the 5DII for many years, and I just got the Black Magic Cinema Camera in March. The new Magic Lantern really peaked my curiosity, and I have been messing with it a bit. Here is some footage that may give you a feeling, as I shot Pro Res too.

Dillan Stockham

PostTue May 21, 2013 4:51 am

Too me.. they actually look pretty similar. I need be quick on the shoot and in post sometimes I track and correct certain parts of the image. With h.264 this is not such great thing to do as it is very noisy when you bring up any shadow detail. Also, I want the windows to look slightly more natural which I believe I will be able to achieve with raw. I also want to apply lens corrections to my bower 14mm as the distortion and vignetting is quite bad on this lens. This is why I would like raw. And actually I think I just pointed out something that might make me stick to the 5D even more. Lens corrections in raw. But I for some reason am still hesitant to cancel the pocket camera order. Maybe I shouldn't be? is 1 Stop DR the only thing better than the 5D3 in raw video? Other than the fact that the 5D3 raw is a hack..

Margus Voll

PostTue May 21, 2013 5:10 am

BMC workflow is so much more fluent compared to hack stuff.

If you need smoothness in post forget all this ff and canon nonsense.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

adamroberts

PostTue May 21, 2013 9:18 am

I'm not sure the Pocket Camera would be the right option.

Even with the SpeedBooster your 14mm wide angle lens would only give a an equivalent FOV as using 30-32mm lens on the 5D. Probably not really wide enough for you interiors.

Why not sell 1 of the 5Ds and get the Production Camera? Same lens mount so no need for any adaptors.

Then you have a Super35mm sensor so the 14mm comes in around 21mm.

You can the use the 5D for any extreme wide shots.

Even shooting ProRes would give you a huge step up from the compresses codec of the 5D.

Margus Voll

PostTue May 21, 2013 9:22 am

I agree if you have extreme stuff then you may need super wide and this is the point canon can handle.

Post and DR stuff seems better in tech sense on BMC any size or form.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

ChrisBarcellos

PostTue May 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Margus Voll wrote:BMC workflow is so much more fluent compared to hack stuff.

If you need smoothness in post forget all this ff and canon nonsense.

Actually, the work flow is very similar. The only additional step is taking the single file produced through a very quick process that breaks out the file into individual DNGs just like you have with the BMCC. So there work flow is virtually identical.

masterok

PostWed May 22, 2013 1:07 am

Honestly stay with what you have. BM camera are not for real estate videos. You will be annoyed with crop factor ALOT. Secondly you get great color out of 5D now, wil some color correction it becomes very nice color. In video mode BM records awefull colors, and in film its almost greyscale, you need to do lots of color correction. and with the prices for real estate tours these days why would you want more headache that is not paid for?

Dillan Stockham

PostWed May 22, 2013 1:16 am

adamroberts wrote:I'm not sure the Pocket Camera would be the right option.

Even with the SpeedBooster your 14mm wide angle lens would only give a an equivalent FOV as using 30-32mm lens on the 5D. Probably not really wide enough for you interiors.

Why not sell 1 of the 5Ds and get the Production Camera? Same lens mount so no need for any adaptors.

Then you have a Super35mm sensor so the 14mm comes in around 21mm.

You can the use the 5D for any extreme wide shots.

Even shooting ProRes would give you a huge step up from the compresses codec of the 5D.

I would have been using the pocket camera with my tokina 11-16.

Would the Production camera 1080 proress be as good as 1080 raw from 5D in terms of DR?

I can't sell one of my 5Ds as I need both of them for stills, shooting events and real estate with two shooters.

Dillan Stockham

PostWed May 22, 2013 1:19 am

masterok wrote:Honestly stay with what you have. BM camera are not for real estate videos. You will be annoyed with crop factor ALOT. Secondly you get great color out of 5D now, wil some color correction it becomes very nice color. In video mode BM records awefull colors, and in film its almost greyscale, you need to do lots of color correction. and with the prices for real estate tours these days why would you want more headache that is not paid for?

That's sorta what I was thinking. I was annoyed by the crop factor of my 7D and absolutely loved my 14 on FF. I just ask for opinions to see if there is anything i am missing before i make a decision.

Edgar Matos (Rocket)

PostWed May 22, 2013 3:25 am

M... Well, the pocket camera seems lovely. But his crop factor is something that *sigh...* you know. I'm going to pre-order the pocket camera in order to shot wedding, movies etc. But real state videos is other story. Now, I tested the "hack" ( Hack is a very rude world for this, since the official release are dressed as alpha and is not even changing parameters on the camera) on the 5D Mark III, and the results are more that enough for the job. With out mention the stunting low light capabilities of the 5D raw. In the end, we need to test the raw footage of the pocket camera to see the caliber. But no, you will no gain anything that the 5D is already giving you.

Jace Ross

PostWed May 22, 2013 9:58 am

Edgar Matos (Rocket) wrote: Now, I tested the "hack" ( Hack is a very rude world for this, since the official release are dressed as alpha and is not even changing parameters on the camera) on the 5D Mark III, and the results are more that enough for the job.

It is a hack. Hacking is the alteration of software, it has bad implications but it's a perfectly appropriate term.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Theodore Prentice

PostWed May 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Jace Ross wrote:
Edgar Matos (Rocket) wrote: Now, I tested the "hack" ( Hack is a very rude world for this, since the official release are dressed as alpha and is not even changing parameters on the camera) on the 5D Mark III, and the results are more that enough for the job.

It is a hack. Hacking is the alteration of software, it has bad implications but it's a perfectly appropriate term.

I thought Hack was an album by Information Society ...

Anyway

masterok wrote:...and in film its almost greyscale, you need to do lots of color correction.

Not to be offensive, but i can usually get clips turned around for dailies with about a minute or 2 spent on a quick first light grade. Alot of times the grades get the footage most of the way there.
Primary and secondary cc is part of the deal anyway right? Or am i missing something.
Just my $0.02 but you dont need to do "lots" of color correction (unless you dont really know what youre doing)

Edgar Matos (Rocket)

PostThu May 23, 2013 6:56 am

Jesus, Ross I didn't say it wasn't. It just that a code so sophisticated, stable, made by hard worker man, deserve better. With out mention that hack is an album by freestyle synth-pop... Ha!

Come on, this post was made in order to help Dillan. And it seems he already took a decision.

Jace Ross

PostThu May 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Edgar Matos (Rocket) wrote:Jesus, Ross I didn't say it wasn't. It just that a code so sophisticated, stable, made by hard worker man, deserve better. With out mention that hack is an album by freestyle synth-pop... Ha!

Come on, this post was made in order to help Dillan. And it seems he already took a decision.

I was merely pointing out that hack isn't a bad word, many people in the IT industry look at hack as a positive thing. No offense intended.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Return to Cinematography