Secondary monitor support...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marc Salvatore

Secondary monitor support...

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 8:56 pm

***Support for a full-screen viewer on an additional display on DaVinci Resolve Studio***

Wait a minute.. does this mean we can no longer complain about not having secondary monitor support in Resolve like most other editors???

Dang you guys rock! Did not expect a whole slew of new features coming our way. Thanks for all the hard work.
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 / i7-5820K / 64gb ram / NVidea 2070 Super / Windows 10 / Resolve Studio / Speed Editor

carsonjones

Re: Secondary monitor support...

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 pm

It absolutely does! Just tested it out and it's fantastic. Very pleased.

Thanks to the BM team for listening to a segment of their customer base. Fantastic!

Dan Sherman

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:25 pm

I'm probably going to try this out this weekend.

For those of you that have already tried it, how do you set it up and designate the display?
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:26 pm

The question is, does this new feature somehow bypass the GPU driver and any OS settings so that the view on that second monitor can be trusted as accurate?

Or is this every bit as problematic as doing the same thing in Premiere Pro, where one still does need a dedicated I/O device to ensure signal accuracy?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Plotzki

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Thank you, so much!!!!!
That's why I love Blackmagic so much.
Adriano Plotzki
www.youtube.com/hashtagsal

Marc Salvatore

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 pm

I like that they are reserving it for Studio users. No reason we should not pay some of the "extra" features in such an amazing program. Especially considering upgrades have been consistently free.
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 / i7-5820K / 64gb ram / NVidea 2070 Super / Windows 10 / Resolve Studio / Speed Editor

carsonjones

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The question is, does this new feature somehow bypass the GPU driver and any OS settings so that the view on that second monitor can be trusted as accurate?

Or is this every bit as problematic as doing the same thing in Premiere Pro, where one still does need a dedicated I/O device to ensure signal accuracy?

It's a Viewer not a monitor. Sync's up with the Black Magic Viewer perfectly so think of it as a fullscreen extension of that.

Plotzki

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm

I doubt it is 100% accurate, but will help me to check keys and noise reduction when I am editing with a notebook in my sailboat. Now I can use the iPad as a second monitor, or other regular monitor if available.
Adriano Plotzki
www.youtube.com/hashtagsal

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm

carsonjones wrote:It's a Viewer not a monitor.

So, it doesn't really allow you to properly use a GPU's additional outputs. You still need a dedicated I/O device.

That won't cause any problems. :?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dan Sherman

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The question is, does this new feature somehow bypass the GPU driver and any OS settings so that the view on that second monitor can be trusted as accurate?

As @carsonjones said, It's a viewer so it will most likely have the same limitations. With that being said, those that are comfortable configuring and calibrating their systems should be able to get very accurate signal accuracy.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

carsonjones

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:47 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:I'm probably going to try this out this weekend.

For those of you that have already tried it, how do you set it up and designate the display?

Hey Dan - in Studio you'll find it under Workspace / Full Screen Viewer On / options include None / Display 1 / Display 2

Dan Sherman

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 10:00 pm

carsonjones wrote:

Hey Dan - in Studio you'll find it under Workspace / Full Screen Viewer On / options include None / Display 1 / Display 2

I've got 3 or even 4 displays at times......

Is it locked to the selected display, or do you think it could be moved to a 3rd or 4th display?

carsonjones

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 10:07 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
I've got 3 or even 4 displays at times......

Is it locked to the selected display, or do you think it could be moved to a 3rd or 4th display?

You know I'm not sure if it's locked to just two. It may show more display options if you have more displays connected. I have a dual display workstation.

Sam King

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 2:23 am

I have 3 displays, I used to run resolve on 2 and fusion or photoshop on the 3rd, you can select which monitors you want to display resolve, I'm assuming you can select which one you want as your viewer now, I'll have to have a look.

This is pretty exciting

EDIT: can confirm you can choose which monitor you want as primary, secondary and viewer.. Fantastic a full screen colour accurate viewer awesome addition, worth the price of purchase alone

John Paines

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 3:08 am

Roughly comparing decklink output to what's seen on the secondary monitor, it's pretty close.

It can be moved to any available display in the system (1,2,3, etc.), including the one currently connected to decklink.

Dan Sherman

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 3:44 am

I put aside some house hold work tonight to play with this, and so far it looks to be working well.
  • The viewer displays on whatever screen you designate.
  • its like the cinema viewer in that it is full screen and can't be dragged to other screens.
  • it works with more than 2 screens. I had 3 connected tonight, and i could assign it to any of the 3.
  • It works with dual screen display
  • it works on the Media, Cut, Edit, Color, Fairlight, & Deliver page
  • it works with whatever viewer is active. For example if you are on the edit page and have both the Source and timeline open, the one that is currently active is what will be displayed.
  • It's only active when Resolve is, so if if you switch to a web browser or any other application, it release the screen for your use.

I only noticed 2 things that might be bugs or design choices.
  • On the fusion page it only display the frame that the play head is/was over on edit page. The video clip still plays in the regular fusion viewer window though.
  • If the active viewer is displaying the waveform of an audio clip, the screen just goes black. (i think this is a bug)

Dan Sherman

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 4:00 am

John Paines wrote:Roughly comparing decklink output to what's seen on the secondary monitor, it's pretty close.

It's running through the ICC profile if ones configured in the OS, so we can definitely calibrate it.

John Paines wrote:It can be moved to any available display in the system (1,2,3, etc.), including the one currently connected to decklink.

I wonder how this works. Does it still use the ICC profile, or does it switch over to what resolve has configured internally for the decklink. I hope BM clarifies this detail.

karliboy

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 1:24 pm

carsonjones wrote:

Thanks for this. But i tried your suggestion and all it seems to do is place my primary screen on my second monitor, leaving my main monitor blank (or showing nothing but my desktop). Or am i going mad?

DorisLondon

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Sorry to ask a simple question. Is this option in studio 16.1 ( beta) or studio 16?( Not beta)

Cheers for info.
Doris

Sergey Mirontsev

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 3:18 pm

DorisLondon wrote:Sorry to ask a simple question. Is this option in studio 16.1 ( beta) or studio 16?( Not beta)

Cheers for info.
Doris

Studio 16.1 beta
Blackmagic Design Certified Master Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.4.0007
Speed Editor 1.4.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H1, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (471.68 Studio)

ravirai

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 10:21 pm

Wow, yes they added it! This is one feature that I thought was handy in Premiere Pro, the ability to just undock and place the viewer on second screen. This is really good, thanks to BMD for implementing this in 16.1 beta 1!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Only in Resolve Studio.

Sam King

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 2:56 am

karliboy wrote:
carsonjones wrote:

Thanks for this. But i tried your suggestion and all it seems to do is place my primary screen on my second monitor, leaving my main monitor blank (or showing nothing but my desktop). Or am i going mad?

go to workspace/primary display and you can select which display you want as your primary, then set your secondary as the full screen viewer

VIDEOHOOD

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 3:53 am

Hi guys! I am a freelancer editor (from Brazil) and since DaVinci 16 came out I finally made the move from the Adobe Suite to DaVinci. For me, the ability of having different timeline formats on the same project was crucial.
Now, with the announcement of 16.1 Beta, I did actually bought the Studio version because being able to have full screen preview is worth the price alone. I couldn't afford by any means having professional monitoring here at my home office!!
I bought the license but haven't received it yet (it's not so easy when you're living here, believe me :? hehehehe).
Anyways, my question is if anybody has tested this feature on a 4k TV Screen instead of a computer monitor and how does it look?
My idea with my super simple set up is having my MacBook Pro and UltraWide LG monitor working in Dual Screen Mode while "monitoring"(I know, I know...) the video on the 4K TV screen.
Has anyone tried it yet?
Any thoughts or commentaries are appreciated
Cheers

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 12:41 pm

TV or monitor makes no difference- functionality will be the same.
If you use TV just remember to switch in GPU setting to correct refresh rate, so your project will match TV. This will give you smoother playback.

Mario Kalogjera

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 4:53 pm

And disable all processing in the TV (especially motion gimmicks) not to interfere or meddle with your artistic intent. It is also a good thing with TVs that you can calibrate many of them with internal CMS, if you own a meter.

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

ilanbenatar

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 1:40 pm

VIDEOHOOD wrote:Hi guys! I am a freelancer editor (from Brazil) and since DaVinci 16 came out I finally made the move from the Adobe Suite to DaVinci. For me, the ability of having different timeline formats on the same project was crucial.
Now, with the announcement of 16.1 Beta, I did actually bought the Studio version because being able to have full screen preview is worth the price alone. I couldn't afford by any means having professional monitoring here at my home office!!
I bought the license but haven't received it yet (it's not so easy when you're living here, believe me :? hehehehe).
Anyways, my question is if anybody has tested this feature on a 4k TV Screen instead of a computer monitor and how does it look?
My idea with my super simple set up is having my MacBook Pro and UltraWide LG monitor working in Dual Screen Mode while "monitoring"(I know, I know...) the video on the 4K TV screen.
Has anyone tried it yet?
Any thoughts or commentaries are appreciated
Cheers

I saw your post re ultrawide monitors and would love to get your input. I am very interested in going UW, but it has been very difficult researching this topic, given that as Davinci video editors we have a very specific use case. Also, computer stores (even B&H and MicroCenter) don't keep them on display so it has been hard to get a grip on the look and feel of these monitors.

Here are some questions I have:
1. 21:9 Vs 32:9? If 21:9, what size monitor (38"? 40"?)
2. Do you have enough real estate vertically? (I typically work with 8 audio tracks and 5 video tracks).
3. How does the color accuracy compare with a iMac?
4. Any monitor recommendations? I'm looking at:

- LG 49WL95C-WE 49" 32:9 UltraWide 
- Philips 499P9H curved monitor
- SAMSUNG 49-inch Odyssey G9
- Dell UltraSharp U4919DW 49 inch Dual QHD Curved Monitor
- Asus Designo Curve MX38VC
- Dell U4021QW UltraSharp 40-inch Curved WUHD Monitor
- Dell U4919DW 49" 32:9

Return to DaVinci Resolve