How to do a reverb ring-out?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ravirai

How to do a reverb ring-out?

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 2:51 am

I am having such a difficult time with accomplishing this in Resolve. I am sure there are ways people here know how to do it. But I read a tutorial/watched a video by Derek Lieu where he suggests in Premiere Pro for example, we can create a nested clip from, say, last 2 or 3 seconds of a track and add black video and stretch it out in the main timeline to finally add reverb, which rings out that last part with a reverb.

I hope I am making sense. Editors here will understand what I mean. The problem with doing this in DaVinci Resolve is that Resolve does not apply an effect to a compound clip overall. It applies reverb to the audio track INSIDE of the compound clip which makes it impossible to accomplish that at least using Derek Leiu's method which I described here.

Secondly, Resolve doesn't allow me to add a crossfade to an audio clip and a compound clip adjoining it. Can anyone please help me with this? I don't want to round trip from another editing suite just to accomplish something like this. Thanks.

ravirai

Re: How to do a reverb ring-out?

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 am

Here is an example of me doing this in Premiere Pro.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KG6Lq ... FWG4V9HeuO

I am simply not able to this because Resolve does not allow me to apply a reverb to a compound clip.

Peter Cave

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 am

The way to do it is to add a reverb to the appropriate track in the Fairlight mixer and then automate the wet/dry level using the automation pen tool. The example shown introduces the reverb at the tail of the compound clip. Don't use the Edit page.

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.11.44 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.11.44 pm.png (536.74 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

ravirai

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 am

Peter Cave wrote:The way to do it is to add a reverb to the appropriate track in the Fairlight mixer and then automate the wet/dry level using the automation pen tool. The example shown introduces the reverb at the tail of the compound clip. Don't use the Edit page.

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.11.44 pm.png

Thank you so much for responding! I am trying this, but I am failing at this completely. I admit I'm not used to the fairlight page still, and I only have used basic effects. So this drawing with pen automation tool and how to do it is confusing me. I want to eventually read the whole Davinci Fairlight training book for Resolve but for now I'd just like to be able to do only this.

ravirai

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:34 am

I am guessing on the left, if I select "Fader level" it will let me draw out a line for audio fade level and use pen tool to draw my keyframes. But there is no reverb option there and when I click "Plugins" it doesn't expand to anything else.

Peter Cave

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:42 am

Add reverb to MIXER, then controls will appear. You must read the Fairlight section of the manual as it is a VERY different way to work compared to Premiere.

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.38.14 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.38.14 pm.png (413.92 KiB) Viewed 6687 times

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.37.53 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.37.53 pm.png (244.99 KiB) Viewed 6687 times
Mac Studio Max 32GB

ravirai

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:50 am

Peter Cave wrote:Add reverb to MIXER, then controls will appear. You must read the Fairlight section of the manual as it is a VERY different way to work compared to Premiere.

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.38.14 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.37.53 pm.png

Thanks, I tried doing that but it stops where the audio stops, it just does not extend past the audio part into "generator" solid color clip I placed inside of the compound clip. I am going to have to just do a round-trip to Premiere I think, because it still only stops where the audio stops. I am having the exact same problem as this guy here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=94457

ravirai

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:56 am

I have read the Fairlight part of the Definitive Guide to Davinci Resolve 15, it does not cover anything like this. It is just the basics. Unless you mean the manual dedicated to just the Fairlight part of Resolve.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 5:23 am

not sure if you saw this in our 16.1b release
- Support for enabling extended bounce tail durations from the context menu for audio clips with reverb and other tail effects
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Cave

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 am

You must have something in the timeline that extends past the last audio and if a generator, it must be made into a compound clip. It does work so you must be missing something. I do it in Premiere, FCPX too! The user manual is not a technique guide but it will explain the automation process and routing etc. Don't give up, think about what's going on with the audio and tracks etc. & you will eventually work it out. You will also get to know more about Fairlight which will help your future projects.

If you have Teamviewer I can help you now.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

ravirai

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:not sure if you saw this in our 16.1b release
- Support for enabling extended bounce tail durations from the context menu for audio clips with reverb and other tail effects

Thank you, I hadn't seen that. It's just me then. Doing it wrong.
Last edited by ravirai on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ravirai

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 pm

Peter Cave wrote:You must have something in the timeline that extends past the last audio and if a generator, it must be made into a compound clip. It does work so you must be missing something. I do it in Premiere, FCPX too! The user manual is not a technique guide but it will explain the automation process and routing etc. Don't give up, think about what's going on with the audio and tracks etc. & you will eventually work it out. You will also get to know more about Fairlight which will help your future projects.

Thank you very much! I'd love it if you can show me that at your convenience because I am not even able to find it online on YouTube.

Peter Cave

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 2:44 am

ravirai wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:You must have something in the timeline that extends past the last audio and if a generator, it must be made into a compound clip. It does work so you must be missing something. I do it in Premiere, FCPX too! The user manual is not a technique guide but it will explain the automation process and routing etc. Don't give up, think about what's going on with the audio and tracks etc. & you will eventually work it out. You will also get to know more about Fairlight which will help your future projects.

Thank you very much! I'd love it if you can show me that at your convenience because I am not even able to find it online on YouTube.

Have a look at this screen capture:
Mac Studio Max 32GB

ravirai

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 3:22 am

Peter Cave wrote:
ravirai wrote:

Have a look at this screen capture:

Wow, thank you for taking the time to record this. I tried this exactly the way you do it and it works. It only works with "Cathedral" though, any time i choose anything else, say, "Concert hall" and it abruptly stops right at the edge where audio ends. Is that the result you got as well?

ravirai

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 3:34 am

Playing with reverb settings gave me better controls using your same method. I tried tweaking "reverb time" and pre-delay parameters and I can granularly control aspects to make it closer to what I want. So even with "Concert hall" as my preset, I can make reverb time longer and get the desired effect. Excellent, you're a life saver. Thank you very much for doing this.
Last edited by ravirai on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ravirai

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 am

I have one last question about what Peter posted here too though. How do I see the extended bounce tail durations in context menu?

SantenPlu

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 1:21 am

ravirai wrote:

I have one last question about what Peter posted here too though. How do I see the extended bounce tail durations in context menu?

Same question here, almost a year later.

Where can i find this option?

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 6:12 am

SantenPlu wrote:Where can i find this option?
The "Enable Bounce Tail" option in the plugin's Additional Options (3 dots) menu exposes a "Tail Threshold" parameter.

SantenPlu

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 8:19 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
SantenPlu wrote:Where can i find this option?
The "Enable Bounce Tail" option in the plugin's Additional Options (3 dots) menu exposes a "Tail Threshold" parameter.

Thank you! Found it,
I can only hear the tail if "Loop preview" is activated. And Resolve crashes after first play :/

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 9:18 am

SantenPlu wrote:Resolve crashes after first play
Crash log may assist the developers.

Not experiencing that behaviour on macOS with Resolve 16.2.2

SantenPlu

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:55 pm

Still crashing on Version 16.2.5.015 (Windows).
After clicking "loop preview" the whole application crashes.

What is this for anyway?
Activating "Enable loop tail" alone doesn´t give any effect?

Is this all experimental?

Charles Bennett

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 12:52 am

To extend the video to cover a reverb tail I just added a block of solid color. I have found that as long as the solid color is part of the timeline the video will continue to play to the end without making it a Compound clip.
Attachments
Reverb Tail.JPG
Reverb Tail.JPG (19.9 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

andrew_dotdot

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 8:53 am

I'm not a big fan of drawing controls on the track, so I'll usually make a copy of the tail of the audio that you want to generate the reverb in the track below it. In the Fairlight tab, put reverb on the new track, setting it to 100% wet, then use the volume curve "handle" on the clip (that white little thing that appears in the upper left of the clip) to create a fade-in for the reverb-only track. I find it makes it easier to later edit where the reverb starts picking up (drag the beginning edge of the clip), the speed of the fade-in (adjust the volume handle), as well as the relative volume of the reverb (volume fader for the channel).
Andrew Hart - Stockholm, Sweden

Resolve Studio 18.5
Mac M1 Pro on MacOS 13.4.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve