Resolve 16 crashes on "Looking for control surface"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DonovanAC

Resolve 16 crashes on "Looking for control surface"

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi everyone at the Blackmagic Forum.

Here's the deal, I've been working with Resolve since the 12.5 version, recently I've been working on the new 16 Beta on Windows and everything was working fine until I installed BorisFX Continuum for After Effects.

Now every time I try to open Resolve it suddenly crashes at "Looking for control surface".
I have tried many things like uninstalling the BorisFX plugin, reinstalling Resolve, downgrade to previous versions of Resolve and nothing seems to work.

I hope someone here has a solution for me.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 16 crashes on "Looking for control surface"

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 11:40 pm

Please review the FAQs above. No one could really help with the limited info you provided.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

DonovanAC

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Here's a log of my last crash, hope it helps.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 2:40 am

You are running Resolve 16 beta 1.

Please download and install the release version of 16.0.

And if you need to provide more logs, and you can't use the Resolve Help menu to generate the log (because it won't launch) , then use the following procedure:

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

ravirai

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 am

Just wanted to add to this. I had similar problems once or twice and only in the beta builds. And it turns out one of those two times it did happen, waiting a bit longer at the screen where it looks like it has crashed, it actually moved on and fully loaded the program just after a few minutes.

And the second instance this had happened, just a restart got me back into Resolve and it did not recur. But in my case, Resolve "crashed" in the sense that it seemed to be stuck on that part of the load screen for way too long. I never had one of those "Don't send" report to Microsoft screens come up, killing the program.

DonovanAC

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 4:33 pm

I just downloaded and installed Resolve 16 and it works totally fine.

Thanks a lot for your help guys, I really appreciate it. :)

Mike57

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 2:18 pm

Solution (for me)

I just, last night, finished building my new video editing PC and ran into the problem described here. "DaVinci Resolve is not responding" I extracted the sys info and Resolve log files to post them here but I am 30+ years in software support so I said, what the heck, open the logs and see what you see. I googled everything associated with the word "ERROR" and came across another forum post here where the poster said he found a clue in Redit. The solution....... "Unplug your Plantronics USB headset." Boom! He went on to say that you can alternately just " change the sound playback device within W10"

Anyway here is that thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=86903

Vingineer

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi! Is there a way to fix the issue about this "Looking for control surface"? I really need to use Resolve right now.

1. I've tried checking my Task Manager and Resolve is not running there.
2. I've tried uninstalling the program but still not working
3. I've tried troubleshooting but still not working
4. I've tried running the Capture Logs but I don't know what to do after
5. My drivers are updated
6. I run the program as admin
7. I already added Davinci Resolve in my Graphics Display Settings to be associated
8. I have a Ryzen 7 4800H, GTX 1660Ti with 16GB RAM
9. The install control panel is unchecked when I installed the program

Please help I really need Resolve for my ongoing project right now. :cry: :| :roll:

Semipi_Dog73

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Here the solution I did,

IF you let the Davinci Resolve 16 go to the default place, the go to Your Disk, Program Files, Black magic Design, Davinci Resolve, Find Resolve, right click, select properties, go to compatibility then hit the button Run compatibility troubleshooter.

Then click Try recommended settings
Then hit the test the program.

It does take awhile for it to open so please be patient.

This will run davinci resolve 16, once davinci resolve is open and done go back to the program compatibility Troubleshooter and hit next,

If it did solve your problem which it probably did, it yes, to save these settings for this program.

If you have any questions please feel free to respond to this message.
I had same troubles too. Please spread the word on Blackmagic Form.

Semipi_Dog73

Harbrimar

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi, My first post and have just started to try the free version of Resolve 16 and ran into the same issues but I am now up and running! This is what worked for me: sometime ago, I had downloaded an earlier version and dabbled with it and then uninstalled it. Having felt ready to try the software again, I downloaded and installed version 16 a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, it would not open on my computer (Win 10, i7-7700, 32GB Ram, GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB). I uninstalled Resolve for the umpteenth time and was about to give up, I remembered a post about checking the user/roaming/Appdata file. I decided to check it and found that there were Black Magic Resolve files still there despite god knows how many times I had uninstalled the software. I deleted the Black Magic files, over 2 GB, from Appdata and then reinstalled Resolve 16 (having turned off BitDefender and Windows Defender first). This time everything loaded and worked perfectly and I am now a very happy person. Clearly, deleting the Black Magic files in AppData solved my problem and nothing was lost as I had not really used the software in earnest. However, if you have used the software for some time and now upgrading to v16 and run into the same problems with the software not opening, you might need to get some expert advice before deleting the files in Appdata.
Brian Marjoram

Vingineer

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 am

Hi Semipi_Dog73. It did not work for me. I've tried it all again just now. I'm looking forward that this post will be recognized by experts from Blackmagic Design cause I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm deleting all of the files of resolve including blackmagic design folder before re-installing but the problem keeps on popping after opening the resolve.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 3:17 am

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

Vingineer

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 6:17 am

Hi Sir Dwaine, I just fixed the issue by uninstalling and deleting the files and then reinstalling the Davinci software. Here's the method I used by appuals:

Method 9: Enlarging the Virtual Memory file (Paging File)
As some users have reported, this particular issue can also occur on Windows 10 is struggling to deal with heap dumps. Some users that previously had their paging file managed by the system have reported that the issue was no longer occurring after they changed it to a custom size (making it bigger).

This is known to be successful in situations where the user is working with a low to medium specification computer.

If you think this scenario might be applicable to your current situation, follow the steps down below to enlarge your virtual memory paging file and see if it resolves your DaVinci Resolve crashes:

1. Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Then, type ” sysdm.cpl” and press Enter to open the Advanced System Properties window.
2. Inside the System Properties window, go to the Advanced tab and click the Settings button associated with the Performance menu.
3. Inside the Performance Options menu, click the Advanced tab.
4. Inside the Advanced tab, click the Change button under Virtual Memory.
5. In the Virtual Memory window, start by unchecking the box associated with Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
6. Select your OS drive from the box under Paging file size for each drive, then select the toggle associated with Custom size.
7. As per other affected user recommendations, you should set the Initial size to at least 3500 MB and the Maximum size to 7000 MB. Once the two values are in place, the Set button to enforce the change.
8. Click Ok and Save, then close all associated windows and restart your computer.
9. At the next startup, open DaVinci Resolve and see if you’re still encountering the same frequent crashes.

Here's the link so maybe it could help others : https://appuals.com/fix-davinci-resolve-keeps-crashing/

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Too small of a paging file is something I've not encountered before. I'm surprised that would be an issue on a system such as you describe having. But I'm glad that worked for you.

And thanks for the Appauls link.
Dwaine Maggart

MeinVideoStudio.de

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 6:50 am

Hi i have the same Problem in the StudioVersion of Resolve.

on friday it worked, Saturday it started every 8th Time i booted Resolve and today it is not comming past "looking for control surface"

I already tried reinstalling, updating all drivers, going back one version and enlarging virtual Memory. Still the same Problem
The CrashLog says something about:
[0x00003730] | SyManager | ERROR | 2020-11-08 16:33:15,937 | DRIVER: panel connection failed

i dont have a panel, and i have just SSD Drives connected to my PC.

I have Copied the Log and my System Info to this drive link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

If anybody has a clue, please tell me.
I have 3 Deadlines breathing down my neck.
Free Davinci Resolve Templates at:
https://www.meinvideostudio.de/downloads/

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 5:44 pm

That's not the log file we need.

and run CaptureLogs

That's the log file we need.
Dwaine Maggart

tmorri4159

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

Im having the same problem but nothing seems to be working. At this time, Davinci Resolve 17 beta is out but its not working either. No matter what I do Davinci Resolve keeps on "Not Responding" while "Looking for Control Surface. I would prefer if somebody could help with links and intrusctions because I'm really confused.

Thank You,
Tyler

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 11:56 pm

Assuming you are using Windows:

and run CaptureLogs

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

chernikov

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 1:57 pm

[quote="Dwaine Maggart"]Assuming you are using Windows:

Dear Dwaine,

i have the same situation like the guys. I have the same problems in Davinci Studio 16.2.8 but after install of Reactor.
I uninstalled Reactor,
than Davinci,
installed v16,
than tried with v17.
Doesn't work.
Installed the new NVIDIA drivers - no progress. Still stuck on "Looking for a control surface" within 2 days, tried all stuffs from forums and it doesn´t work.

This my technical data:
Windows 10 64bit
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.81 GHzwith
64Gb of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 1060 6 Gb

Here is my link with Log ZIP
https://www. dropbox.com/sh/tgey8vxfhaocqsm/AADM_JdYkQMMsfXKp0FJD1lca?dl=0
Please help me, dear Dwaine.

Thank you in advance.
Pavel

Return to DaVinci Resolve