URSA Broadcast Timecode from return video?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Edward Carlson

URSA Broadcast Timecode from return video?

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 1:41 am

I'm building a multicamera system using mainly URSA Broadcasts with the fiber converters. I also have one URSA Mini G2, also with the fiber converter. It seems that only the G2 is getting timecode via the SDI return (which is PGM from an ATEM with external TC.) This is kind of a bummer, because the intent of this system is to shoot ISOs either in-camera or on Hyperdeck Minis (which don't have LTC inputs.) But if the Broadcasts aren't getting TC from the return video, then they won't have synced TC in the edit. The only workaround I have is to run the Hyperdecks from the AUX outputs of the switcher, since the ATEM will embed RP188 timecode. But I'm limited to 6 cameras in this case.

Any ideas or insight on a future firmware update?

pederdingo

Re: URSA Broadcast Timecode from return video?

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 6:58 am

The broadcast hasn't been updated for well over a year, but during that time the G2 got an update with timecode in from return.

So if they ever decide to update the broadcast again, it could possibly get TC in, which would be super nice. But for some reason the Ursa Broadcast and the Fiber converters does not seem to have very high priority with BM, so no one knows if and when that will be.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 11:00 am

This is high on the implementation list of the Ursa broadcast, But we have to wait for that update.. No one knows when it will come. But surely is far overdue.

But it seems that the programmer resources went into updating the FW of the Pocket 4K, Ursa G2 and the new Pocket 6K.

I hope BMD will soon come with an update for the Broadcast to fix a few things that are HARD needed in a broadcast environment. :D
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 12:38 am

Yes we are keen to get this into URSA Broadcast and are working on getting it into the next update.

Return to Live Production