No AutoFocus and Iris (Aperture) w/Tamron & BMPCC 6k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rgreen517

No AutoFocus and Iris (Aperture) w/Tamron & BMPCC 6k

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 12:27 am

It looks like the BMPCC 6k, does not support Tamron EF Mount lenses for auto focus or even to change the aperture. This lens supports it, which according to the manual, should work. But Iris is blank, and the auto focus doesn't work at all when the lens is attached. Unless I am missing something. I put my 24-105 Canon lens on, and I was able to change both.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: No AutoFocus and Iris (Aperture) w/Tamron & BMPCC 6k

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 12:36 am

Which specific Tamron lens?

rgreen517

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 12:42 am

Sorry, thought I typed it in there. Tamron 70-200 f2.8

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 12:46 am

Thanks. We'll check it out here.

Do you know if it's

1. TAMRON SP AF 70-200MM F2.8 DI VC USD

OR

2. TAMRON SP AF 70-200MM F2.8 VC USD G2

rgreen517

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Thanks. We'll check it out here.

Do you know if it's
1. TAMRON SP AF 70-200MM F2.8 DI VC USD
OR
2. TAMRON SP AF 70-200MM F2.8 VC USD G2

It is not the G2

ZG_Melb

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 am

Same issue here; my BMPCC 6K is having issues with IRIS on my Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 USD G2 where when I stop down it will not allow me to open back up to f2.8, in order to open back to f2.8, I need to restart the Camera. Please help!!

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 am

The issue is with the Tamron EF lens FW and this needs to be addressed by them, me thinks. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rgreen517

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Pretty much the lens is useless on this camera unless you have an ND filter on, at this point. Since there is no way to change the aperture at all. It just stays wide open all the time. I can live without the auto focus, that isn't a problem. I am hoping it is just a camera FW update to fix this issue.

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 5:03 pm

BMD is not able to make its Cameras compatible with every third party EF lens maker. The Canon EF lens control protocol has several versions, some of which are not always as easy to make compatible with every EzF Camera /lens combo. BMD cameras do not even work with all Canon EF lenses, and there used to be a compatibility list st the top of this Forum.

Canon is Not sharing its lens control protocols with anyone, especially third party lens makers, as Canon is in the business of selling lenses and cameras. So the protocols have to be reversed engineered. Some are better st this than others. BMD sets their version of the protocol to conform to current Canon lenses being used, and does not guarantee compatibility with other third party lens makers. This is the issue with non OEM systems being compatible with each other, or even their target systems. Tamron makes lenses to use on Canon cameras, not third party cameras with EF mounts.

Lately, Tamron lenses have had issues working with the cameras they were made for. When a new camera model comes out, like the Nikon Z cameras, some Tamron Nikon are not working with the new Z camera, while they work on an older Nikon camera model. Tamron had issues working with the new Can EF Metabones Speed Boosters also, until they adjusted their (Tamron) lens FW with an update. So this issue is in Tamron’s court, not BMDs. Sigma has had similar issues, and some of their older lenses can not be updated (FW) to get current compatibility.

This is the risk when using third party lenses on a third party made camera lens mount system, they do not always play well together. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rgreen517

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 6:40 pm

I wish "the list" was alot more readily available, as up front, so that you would know the lens incompatibilities up front. As well as when it is a touted feature, that it may be able to work with some of the most popular lenses at least.

Thanks for your input above. I will keep the list in mind before purchasing any lenses for this camera.

jonathanhickman

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Do you think that a firmware update is coming for the BMPCC 6K that will expand lens compatibility? I shot with the camera this weekend.

With my Production Camera 4K, my go to documentary lenses were the Tamron 17-50 and the 70-200. I have the full set of Rokinon cine, but it is so much easier to carry just two lenses to doc shoots.

The 17-50 works well and communicated with the BMPCC 6K well, but as you guys have pointed out, the 70-200 does not. Should I sell my 70-200 and get another lens? Or is there any indication that it will be addressed in a firmware update?

I did use the 70-200 this weekend, by the way, it was locked in f2.8 and there was no autofocus (which did not matter much). For what I needed at the time, it worked, but it is not far from ideal.

By the way, I tested the 18-135 Canon (the one that came with the old 7D) and it works well. Seems like anything Canon is a safe lens to go with.

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 4:15 pm

Tamron needs to fix the 70-200 FW, I do not think a BMD FW update would fix the issue with this Tamron lens. Some Tamron lenses work and some do not, the price of using third party lenses.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ki_rush

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 7:06 pm

I have a similar problem. Today I wanted to buy a Tamron 70-200 / 2.8 VC Gen.1 (without white rings) and he fully not works on pocket 6K. Also Tamron 17-50 / 2.8 VC likewise fully not works on BM 6K although works and on cameras Canon and through any Chinese adapter on Sony. Tamron 24-70 / 2.8 VC works without any problems. And he's from the same generation as the other two.

from working glasses from third-party manufacturers so far tried only:

Sigma a 18-35 / 1.8, Sigma a 50-100 / 1.8, Sigma s 17-70/2.8-4, Tokina 12-24 / 4 (1st gen)

Viltrox and Godox are small Chinese manufacturers that make adapters. And for some reason they manage to teach their adapters to work with all lenses having a Canon EF bayonet. I think the problem is with the black magic developers.

ki_rush

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Okay, tamron 70-200/2.8 (gold and blue ring) without image stabilization don't work too.

Отправлено с моего MI MAX через Tapatalk

Myenergy

PostSun Feb 09, 2020 1:56 pm

ZG_Melb wrote:Same issue here; my BMPCC 6K is having issues with IRIS on my Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 USD G2 where when I stop down it will not allow me to open back up to f2.8, in order to open back to f2.8, I need to restart the Camera. Please help!!

Hello friends! Is this problem solved?

timtyler

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 2:30 am

I can confirm the problem has not been solved with the Tamron 80-200 f/2.8. :evil:
Tim Tyler
Cinematographer @ https://timtyler.com
Founder-Admin @ Cinematography.com / SteadicamForum.com

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 10:06 pm

ki_rush wrote:I have a similar problem. Today I wanted to buy a Tamron 70-200 / 2.8 VC Gen.1 (without white rings) and he fully not works on pocket 6K. Also Tamron 17-50 / 2.8 VC likewise fully not works on BM 6K although works and on cameras Canon and through any Chinese adapter on Sony. Tamron 24-70 / 2.8 VC works without any problems. And he's from the same generation as the other two.

from working glasses from third-party manufacturers so far tried only:

Sigma a 18-35 / 1.8, Sigma a 50-100 / 1.8, Sigma s 17-70/2.8-4, Tokina 12-24 / 4 (1st gen)

Viltrox and Godox are small Chinese manufacturers that make adapters. And for some reason they manage to teach their adapters to work with all lenses having a Canon EF bayonet. I think the problem is with the black magic developers.
I use canon lenses on many other mount by adapter and I can tell you that viltrox and Godox NOT work with all ef lenses, also if Are original canon.
I moved to metabone, fringer, saker falcon lite and the same not work ever with all ef lenses, with all function. May be you test in small cameras / lenses number, in the last ten years I changed many cameras and many lenses and I never found a definitive adapter that work ever.
Also with canon original lenses.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 11:25 pm

Tampon lenses do not work with quite a few cameras, including Nikon and a Canon bodies. This is a Tamron issue, not BMD or Nikon, or Metabones, etc. EF lenses are especially difficult to get right for a third party manufacturer.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ray McL

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 5:15 pm

I have no access to Iris control on the 6k with a Tamron 11-18 mm SP AF Aspherical DI ii 4.5-5.6. The firmware is 6.9.1.

I get false color but no focus assist either.

Ray

Nigel Smith

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 1:26 pm

Can anybody confirm if this problem exists with the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD Lens?
Thanks in advance
Nigel

Return to Cinematography