Blackmagic 6K packaging issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 3:02 pm

I'm about to jump in and order the 6K but I have been reading and hearing about packaging issues when those who just received their 6K reported in BMCUSER and some on Facebook and BH. Packaging issues from
  • Open box and packaging around box was ripped/torn
  • Screen protector was removed
  • Fingerprints on the LCD screen
  • Scuff on the body of the camera
Has this been addressed by Blackmagic or is there a QA and/or Packaging issues with upcoming batches? I don't know so I'm asking.
Last edited by Ellory Yu on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Brad Hurley

Re: Blackmagic 6K packaging issue

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 3:05 pm

Some of these issues, e.g., the scuffing, have been observed with the BMPCC 4K as well:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91788

No indication if this is happening at the factory or if it's due to random customs inspections, camera rubbing against packaging materials in transport, or something else, but there are enough reports to indicate that it's a thing.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Ellory Yu

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Ouch! I might hold off ordering it until the issue in future batches have been address. I'm very particular with my things, especially if I'm buying new and expecting them to be pristine.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Dune00z

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 4:59 pm

I had this happen once with a Fuji camera I bought. Packaging was a mess, batteries were in the camera, scuffs and missing items. The item was mislabeled as new when it was an open box item. It was also wrapped as if new.

I dont see any reason to cancel an order due to a very small handful of items being received like this. You can always return or exchange the item if it is received in this condition.

Harold Tomlinson

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 1:19 am

I wonder what percentage of people have had these issues. Both my BMPCC4k and BPMCC6k came in perfectly new condition.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

Brad Hurley

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 10:56 am

Harold Tomlinson wrote:I wonder what percentage of people have had these issues. Both my BMPCC4k and BPMCC6k came in perfectly new condition.

People who receive cameras in perfectly new condition don't post about it in forums, because perfectly new condition is the normal expectation.

We only hear from the people whose cameras arrived with problems. This skews the perception of QA issues -- Scuffs and grime might appear in a fraction of 1% of the cameras sold or the percentage could be higher; only Blackmagic Design would know.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 11:24 am

Hi,

We've looked into this and it looks like the shipping couriers have been tossing the boxes and as a result, some cameras got dislodged within the packaging.

We're now wrapping the cameras in foam before shipping from the factory now so it should not be happening and also redesigning the internal packaging to deal with overzealous posties.

vgs2003

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:12 pm

I started a topic about this back in May: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91788

Since then, about 40% of our delivered stock got this issue. And recently 60% shipped BMPCC6K to us got the same issue.

Today, someone posted a video about this on YouTube:

Kristian, I really hope that this issue will be really gone from now on!

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Well those are absurdly ridiculous problem rates and if Kristian is correct, looks like the packing needs to include Fragile Handle With Care labels which might increase the shipping cost. Or maybe the new packaging will cope with the handlers that play football with the boxes. Lord knows, there’s no point in addressing the issue with shipping companies.
Rick Lang

David White

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 2:20 pm

I recently moved to a new state and started experiencing shipping problems with several items from different vendors (not Blackmagic). I've received boxes that looked like they were opened and crudely taped again. So far everything arrived and damage was minimal, but I've been wondering why this is happening. Just last week a fire extinguisher arrived somewhat scuffed up and the vendor had to assure me it really was sent new, not refurbished.

I suspect the local shipper handlers are much rougher than the ones in my old state. I'm not confidant this can be fixed by the shippers. Vendors are going to have to do a better job of beefing up their packaging instead.

David

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 2:23 pm

I’d say the majority of boxes I have received show rough handling, but fortunately I’ve never had damaged goods... yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:... We're now wrapping the cameras in foam before shipping from the factory now so it should not be happening and also redesigning the internal packaging to deal with overzealous posties.

Your attention to detail is appreciated. I love Blackmagic Design! :-)

Dmytro Shijan

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Wrapping the cameras in foam is really right idea. But the best and safest way to package is use special separated inner package made of custom molded EVA foam. All modern lenses and other professional gear usually packed like this.
And it seems package problems may exists with older cameras as well. I remember when i got BMMCC i notice that it was wobble inside the box and so plastic lens mount protector makes black round circle inside the box. Camera and other parts where located in inner box with separators made of hard thin plastic. The camera was located very close to box wall without any additional protective pad between.

BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Tyler Edwards

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 11:28 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

We've looked into this and it looks like the shipping couriers have been tossing the boxes and as a result, some cameras got dislodged within the packaging.

We're now wrapping the cameras in foam before shipping from the factory now so it should not be happening and also redesigning the internal packaging to deal with overzealous posties.

Great to hear Kristian! I just got mine in today. There was a tiny scuff on the bottom corner, but it honestly wiped right off. Foam should solve the issues though!
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Scott Balkum

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 4:46 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

If it works, everyone will be happy. Those who watched my entire video know that I did not make that video to bash Blackmagic and in fact, praised the recent cameras for their amazing abilities.

People just want to create images but first impressions are everything. Thank you for your attention to this issue. We all hope it disappears as "one of those things".

Return to Cinematography