h264 support in Resolve on Linux?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BMNewb

h264 support in Resolve on Linux?

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 1:52 am

I have had a rough time with Resolve on Windows and stopped. I then decided to give it a go on Linux, specifically, the supported distro, CentOS. The installs went smooth, including the drivers and especially Resolve. When I launched it, it was light years faster, smoother and more stable than running on Windows. It did not crash. Unfortunately, it also does not accept footage from my camera, the Panasonic GH3. The output format is .mov, X264 with PCM and AAC audio.

Well, I get audio, just no video.

Can the developers perhaps throw a dog a bone?
Last edited by BMNewb on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCModelReviews

Re: x264 support in Resolve on Linux?

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:54 am

I believe there's no x264 support in the Linux version "out of the box" -- or at least not for the non-studio version.

Solution 1... transcode to a supported format before using in the media pool

Solution 2... check and see if the Studio version has inbuilt H264 support and purchase that

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

BMNewb

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 am

Hey,

"I believe there's no x264 support in the Linux version "out of the box" -- or at least not for the non-studio version."

That implies that there may be support with some tweakage. Is there some tweakage. that can be done...?

My drive space is limited (SSD). But if there is no other way, what other format can I convert to without loss of quality?

Currently, funds are limited, could Resolve 14 be bought cheaper now that 15 is out?

x264...so near yet so far...

MikeRochefort

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:03 am

The Studio version can utilize H.264 video streams under certain circumstances. If it is an MP4 or Quicktime format with .mov or .mp4, it can decode the stream. You can encode only if it is a Quicktime with a .mov extension. Note that they have to be using the H.264 codec (container/extension/format are separate items).

Also, the Linux port does not support AAC audio. You will need to separate that out into an independent AIFF or WAVE file in order to use it in Resolve.

Please refer to the Supported Codecs document for more information. Note that it only provides info on the Studio version, if it doesn’t work in Resolve then it’s a Resolve Studio only feature.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... c_List.pdf

Cheers,
Mike
https://michaelrochefort.com/
3D Lookdev, Compositing, and Sysadmin
Fusion Studio 9.0.2
Fusion 16 Studio
RHEL 7.6 | Intel i7-6850K | 32GB memory | 3x GTX 1070 | 418.56

BMNewb

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:23 am

Well, that is curious as I can yum install, sudo, apt, emerge, slackpkg, or whatever x264 codecs on Linux and get it running on their assorted video editors so why not Resolve? Moreover, the same containers work on Windows but not on Linux. x264/MOV is fairly common for video cameras/dslr, so I am not sure why the obstacle?

Perhaps it looks like a small thing to us outsiders but it may be a big deal to developers. Sort of the straw that broke Black Magic's back.

New mantra. "let go...let go...let go...let go...let go..."

yomgui

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 am

I've the same issue with files from my Sony HDR-AS300 and Resolve (v15.0.0.086, free edition) on a Fedora 28.

For example, file utility gives: C0001.MP4: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, Sony XAVC Codec, Audio "twos" at 48000Hz, Video "avc1" 1920x1080

mplayer is able to play the file, but Resolve only see it as an audio only file.
I note that this codec (Sony XAVC) is given in the official list of supported codecs.
I note also that Resolve on Windows works perfectly with this file. So why not under the GNU/Linux?

Martin Schitter

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 am

yes, this factual limitation on the linux edition of resolve are not only very uncomfortable, they are also more than questionable in their legal justification, because with every windows and mac os system you'll get a license information which clearly states:

"THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC, THE VC-1, THE MPEG-4 PART 2 VISUAL, AND THE
MPEG-2 VIDEO PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSES FOR THE PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF
A CONSUMER
TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE ABOVE STANDARDS (“VIDEO
STANDARDS”) AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC, VC-1, MPEG-4 PART 2 AND MPEG-2 VIDEO THAT WAS
ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY
OR WAS
OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE SUCH VIDEO. NONE OF THE
LICENSES EXTEND TO ANY OTHER PRODUCT
REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH PRODUCT IS
INCLUDED WITH THIS PRODUCT IN A SINGLE ARTICLE. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE
IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA,
L.L.C. SEE http://WWW.MPEGLA.COM ."

apart from the fact, that this patent resp. royalty claims are not applicable in all countries, they obviously do not legitimate most of the practical usage scenarios of h264 en/decoding of an application like davinci resolve on those two commercial platforms neither. it's therefore more than unintelligible, that linux users do not get just the same support to use the typical en/decoding solutions on this particular platform -- although, the actual customers would still have to take care about all the necessary licensing demands just like on the other operating systems...

BMNewb

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 am

When I look up footage via VLC, and go to TOOLS and 'codec info', I get:

Videos with the MTS extension, I suppose that is Panasonic's avchd but the codec info in VLC says that is Codec H264-MPEG 4 AVC (part 10) (h264)

There is some footage from a second camera person using a Canon camera, on some shootings, his codec MOV is H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) AVC1

and my main codec for shooting is MOV H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc 1)

All three of the them don't play video on Linux, but the MTS one for Resolve on Windows will be video but now Audio. So MTS just shows "MEDIA OFFLINE" on the Linux side.

So that's it for Resolve on Linux. If it's easy for the developers at Blackmagic, hey why not do it? But if it's too difficult, then they cannot really be blamed. If it's legalese, then there is nothing they can do.

Richard Stallman has a book called, 'Free Software, Free Society' where he writes about open standards and how proprietary formats take us to dead ends like this. All these intellectual property laws stymie development, not just in technology, but in other fields too. And if Stallman is too distasteful, then read the late Tom Wolfe's essay from the 1986 edition of Popular Mechanics, "Land of Wizards" where he also rails against US intellectual property laws. Wolfe observed that patent laws were originally in place to encourage people to share ideas and inventions, but it has since turned into a way for companies to take ideas/inventions from those with less lawyers. Wolfe voted for George Bush, I think, and was Republican.

RCModelReviews

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 am

BMNewb wrote:So that's it for Resolve on Linux. If it's easy for the developers at Blackmagic, hey why not do it? But if it's too difficult, then they cannot really be blamed. If it's legalese, then there is nothing they can do.

You have to remember that Resolves comes from the cinema and professional editing industry where H264 is very rarely used. For that reason (and the lack of any inbuilt H264 codecs in most linux distros due to intellectual property issues), BMD have obviously decided it's not worth the effort *at this time*.

The lack of H264 support on Linux (and the lack of audio support at the time without a special audio card) was the reason I went with Windows 10 (only my edit machine is Windows, everything else is Linux around here).

I suspect that BMD are going to have to decide whether they're prepared to make Resove more attractive to the massive community of amateur and semi-professional editors who mostly work in H264 as their source material. They may opt to engage this market, they might choose not to.

In the meantime, I'm more than happy to use the studio version of Resolve under Win10 because it beats the pants off the NLEs I've used before and I don't feel like paying Adobe a monthly stipend for the rest of my working life.

BMNewb

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:40 am

RCModelReviews wrote:
BMNewb wrote:In the meantime, I'm more than happy to use the studio version of Resolve under Win10 because it beats the pants off the NLEs I've used before and I don't feel like paying Adobe a monthly stipend for the rest of my working life.

No, my fellow serf, that is not a stipend, it is what you pay the Tsars. That is our rent for the privilege and dignity of labor. Labor is no longer a right. You don't pay, you don't work.

We are all serfs with different levels of privilege. ;)

At least with Blackmagic, we can buy our hammers and sickles.

Chong Yew Lee

Re: h264 support in Resolve on Linux?

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 11:54 am

I would like to add that I am having the same issue with Resolve 15.2.2.

I use a Sony HDR-CX405-50i (a PAL 1080p camera) as my primary workhorse. My workflow is in 1080p only (I'm looking to getting into youtubing as a second job). The camera captures in either AVCHD or X-AVC S with LPCM audio. To my dismay I see that Davinci Resolve cannot recognize either codecs and only imports the audio.

Footage from my cellphone is even worse off. The phone captures 4K in the standard H.264 profile with AAC audio, Neither are supported.

I have just built a new Linux machine and decided to try Davinci Resolve on it, and am very disappointed. Even a completely free NLE like KDenLive could fare better!

Can Blackmagic Design please add support for H.264 and it's derivatives onto the Linux version of Resolve? The free version of Davinci Resolve is tempting to those looking to get into video editing, but if it doesn't support the codecs used by most cameras and phones in the world, why bother?

Eugenia Loli

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 7:55 am

I agree with all above, h.264 must be added on the free version of Resolve for Linux. Most of the people who are going to download it are Linux users who just have consumer cameras. While the Studio version might work for a FEW cinema studios on Linux, the vast majority of people who are going to download it are individuals. h.264 and AAC should be added, particularly h.264. At least for AAC, you can use ffmpeg to quickly transcode it without re-encoding the video. Re-encoding the video is a no go IMHO, too much of a hassle.
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

Dieter Scheel

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Yes, Resolve Studio does support h.264.

You could also transcode your footage to ProRes (with ffmpeg) or Cineform. How to do that is also explained in various posts across the forum.

You are able to spend thousands of dollars or euros for camera equipment but you are unable to pay 200-300 Euros for the Studio version? Even the flash light for my DSLR was more expensive. I don't understand this and never will.

If you want to have all the bells and whistles, you have to pay for it - no matter if you are in Windows, Mac or Linux.

Or you use Flowblade, Shotcut, OpenShot or any of the other video tools. There are so may free alternatives available.
Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 32 GB | i7 | RTX2070 8 GB (535.161.07) | 2 TB SSD | 48 TB NAS
Lenovo Legion | Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 16 GB | i5 | GTX1650 4 GB (535.161.07) | 1.25 TB SSD

hankthefourth

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 2:24 pm

Hello All,

I have Resolve on Linux going right now. Studio version.
BUT, i cannot get the h264, MP4, h265 going on the export.
h264, h265, etc all work on VLC when i play them. so FFmpeg, etc are all installed correctly.

I had all the export options on my Mac, but switched to linux to use a ryzen chip and rx-580. Which are awesomely fast- renfer 4K RAW footage from my pocket cinema 4K in near real time.

Any ideas on why Resolve Studio is not showing the h 264 options on export?

Thanks!

blackmennewstyle

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 1:17 pm

I have to say i'm quite disappointed, i installed the free version on Windows and it can import h264/h265 file but on GNU/Linux, you don't have that option.

I just don't understand that decision for GNU/Linux :(

Eugenia Loli

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 10:57 pm

It's not a decision against Linux. It's just that on Windows/Mac, Resolve is using the included h.264 decoder. Linux doesn't come with one. Even if you install gstreamer's h.264 decoder, Resolve doesn't support the Gstreamer API.

Glynn68

PostTue May 14, 2019 10:19 pm

I have the same issue on Linux Mint with Davinci Resolve 16 Beta, the Codecs supported on the Linux free version are very limited. However Prores video and uncompressed pcm audio are supported, FFMPEG offers a transcode solution, and I've found the timeline is really smooth with Prores files even at 4k. The FFMPEG conversion is a pain, but if automated could be easier.... I've been wanting to understand shell scripting for some time but needed a reason to learn it. Two weeks later and below is my first useful effort! Basically you dump all the video container files (.mkv, .mp4, .mov) you want to convert into a directory, run this script and it will transcode all files and put them into a second directory for import into Davinci Resolve. Stand alone audio files (i.e .mp3, .aac) will also be converted to pcm (.wav) files which Davinci resolve can read.

Provided the file type is supported by ffmpeg, other file formats could be converted by simply adding the file suffix/extension (like mkv,mov, mp3) into the lines listing these extensions.

#!/bin/bash
#
# Script to transcode multi video & audio formats into prores & pcm for import to Davinci Resolve
#
indir=~/Videos/pre_transcode_in/ #Input directory for pre-transcode video & audio files
outdir=~/Videos/transcoded_prores_pcm/ #Output directory for transcoded prores/pcm video & audio files
#
[ ! -d "$outdir" ] && mkdir "$outdir" #Check if output directory exists, if not, create it.
#
cd -- "$indir"
ls | while read upName; do loName=`echo "${upName}" | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'`; mv "$upName" "$loName"; done #convert input dir files to lowercase

# Start of section for video container transcoding

for cont in mkv m4v mp4 avi wmv flv mov # list of video container filename suffixes to check for files
do
for file in *.$cont; do
if [ -e "$file" ]; then
echo
echo "****** Starting transcode of $file to prores/pcm .mov ******"
echo
ffmpeg -i "$file" -c:v prores -profile:v 3 -c:a pcm_s24le "$outdir""${file%.*}".mov;
echo
echo "****** End of $file ******"
echo
fi
done
done

# Start of section for audio file transcoding

for codec in flac mp3 aac wma ogg oga mogg raw # list of audio codec filename suffixes to check for files
do
for file in *.$codec; do
if [ -e "$file" ]; then
echo
echo "****** Starting transcode of $file to pcm .wav ******"
echo
ffmpeg -i "$file" -c:a pcm_s24le "$outdir""${file%.*}".wav;
echo
echo "****** End of $file ******"
echo
fi
done
done

Coryndotio

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 9:37 am

That script works great, thanks! Unfortunately it is still a pain to have to convert everything into .mov to use it with a NLE in 2019 :(

Is there a demo/trial version of 16 studio for Linux so I could see if H264 works for me? I have an NVIDIA GPU I heard that that makes a difference?

lost_soul

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 5:31 pm

I am using DR studio on Centos 7 with an AMD card. It doesn't support either H264 or H265. It was the reason why I upgraded to studio. There are a ton of options on Linux so I am not sure why BM won't step up.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

Glynn68

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 3:42 pm

That's not good news, I was seriously thinking about the upgrade to Studio but Linux version seems to be quite compromised compared to Windows. Which version are you using? According to Davinci Resolve 15 feature comparison, H264 and HEVC decode should be supported on Studio 15 version on Linux
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... arison.pdf

alexoreman

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 6:00 pm

No Issue with Centos 7.3 Resolve 15.3.1 Studio and H.264/265 outputs using NVIDIA GPUs.

When you choose both H.264 or H.265 in delivery the only option for the Encoder available is NVIDIA with no other option selectable. This is with the hardware acceleration check box active in system preferences.

Glynn68

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks, I have NVIDIA 1080ti, looks like AMD maybe not implemented yet.
My camera supports 4K with 10-Bit colour 4:2:0, do you know if this is supported for the H.265 NVIDIA export?

deezid

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Glynn68 wrote:Thanks, I have NVIDIA 1080ti, looks like AMD maybe not implemented yet.
My camera supports 4K with 10-Bit colour 4:2:0, do you know if this is supported for the H.265 NVIDIA export?

Should be supported in latest beta on AMD cards.
H265/H264 decoding even in 10 bit is just fine.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

ArteSelecta

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:27 am

I'm working on linux (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) and I'm using Davinci Resolve 16.

My question is very simple, can I import and save my projects with videos in H264 and H265 format using the Davinci Resolve version (my tests say no...)? Or do I solve everything by purchasing the Studio version?
thx to all

deezid

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:59 pm

ArteSelecta wrote:I'm working on linux (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) and I'm using Davinci Resolve 16.

My question is very simple, can I import and save my projects with videos in H264 and H265 format using the Davinci Resolve version (my tests say no...)? Or do I solve everything by purchasing the Studio version?
thx to all

Davinci Resolve Studio supports both H264 and H265 up to 10 bit on Linux.
Yes it would solve the issue ;)

kobayashi

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi,
I'd point out that on Linux export of h264 is supported only with Nvidia cards, for now at least. Having a Radeon as a workaround I render on a mezzanine codec and then encode with handbrake.
as stated, import is fine on Studio

ArteSelecta

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 am

kobayashi wrote:Hi,
I'd point out that on Linux export of h264 is supported only with Nvidia cards, for now at least. Having a Radeon as a workaround I render on a mezzanine codec and then encode with handbrake.
as stated, import is fine on Studio

Thank you for your answer!
Just another question, is there a tool to convert H264 / H265 formats to DNxHR on the Linux system?

For ProRes I had no problems using free software like Shotcut and Kdenlive.

ArteSelecta

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 8:43 am

deezid wrote:
ArteSelecta wrote:I'm working on linux (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) and I'm using Davinci Resolve 16.

thx to all

Davinci Resolve Studio supports both H264 and H265 up to 10 bit on Linux.
Yes it would solve the issue ;)

Thank you for your answer!

kobayashi

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 2:50 pm

I'd use ffmpeg or a graphical frontend for ffmpeg, like winff
I think its available also in the Ubuntu repositories.

I usually put the ffmpeg command in very simple bash scrips, since I cannot remember all the options and flags, stored on a folder.
When I need to batch convert files, I copy the appropriate script to the folder containig all the files and launch the script, that is set to create the new files in the same folder.

To encode files for delivery, usually from DNxHR to h26x, I like to use handbrake

ArteSelecta

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 8:04 am

kobayashi wrote:I'd use ffmpeg or a graphical frontend for ffmpeg, like winff
I think its available also in the Ubuntu repositories.

I usually put the ffmpeg command in very simple bash scrips, since I cannot remember all the options and flags, stored on a folder.
When I need to batch convert files, I copy the appropriate script to the folder containig all the files and launch the script, that is set to create the new files in the same folder.

To encode files for delivery, usually from DNxHR to h26x, I like to use handbrake

Thx very much for your tips.

Jozsef Kurucity

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 10:29 pm

You can export from DR to raw avi or raw mov then get it into Blender and export it to whatever you like. Blender got h.264 and AAC and whatever format you need :)
Available for freelance jobs

DougHadfield

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 7:41 pm

Hi, I think I'm a typical user of the Resolve free edition, as I use Linux and H264 video sources. However I've just installed Resolve, intending to move up from more basic NLE products. Imagine my disappointment and amazement when I find that the Linux version doesn't actually support the one format that most semi-pro video bloggers etc. use exclusively!! The list of supported formats on the BMD website is huge, but the one most important format for this sector of the market is omitted.... WHY!!!! I won't go back to Windoze, so I cannot use Resolve until this omission is "Resolve"d !

DCFusor

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Let me add my vote here. I'm using the free version to try this out before buying the studio version.
If I'm going to be forced to script workarounds that incidentally use vastly more disk space as well, then in the absence of a clear answer from BMD about whether the studio version really does have support for h264, it would seem my money and time would be better spent on disk drives and in-house tool work.

Of course, if I don't buy the studio version, then I also won't buy any BMD hardware products either.

Maybe someone should get their marketing or CFO to take notice of this rather obvious missed opportunity.
Why guess when you can know? Measure it!

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 7:21 pm

A detailed codec support document - Studio and Free - across platforms is available here.

DCFusor

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks! I see h264 support in studio with centos. Does this apply only to centos, or linux generally? I do have a cuda card and the nvidia driver. Cuda works as a hwaccel in ffmpeg, for example.

I ask as not many users use centos by choice - it's kind of the windows of linux in the sense that it's the one corporate business uses, not the one(s) every one else uses, most all of which are Debian based. (see - any linux popularity poll).
Few want to give up the richness of the deb apt system for the rather limited yum world - it's great for dedicated business servers (for those who don't want to buy "real" Red Hat) but not what is liked by most users.

That said, an experienced developer like myself can probably make it work on .deb if it can work on linux at all, I just need a hint here and there.

Anybody with Studio version that has this working on a Debian distro? Tips?
Why guess when you can know? Measure it!

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 10:39 pm

You should check out MakeResolveDeb by Daniel Tufvesson.

There are several threads about it, here's one: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=99747

Sulo Kokki

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 1:56 am

DCFusor wrote:Thanks! I see h264 support in studio with centos. Does this apply only to centos, or linux generally?
BMD use CentOS and Linux quite interchangeably in their ads and docs. The h264 support applies to every Linux distro that can start Resolve Studio up properly, yes. Debian and Arch seem popular, but when it runs, it runs well. Pretty much the same story with every distro that can.

RCModelReviews wrote:I suspect that BMD are going to have to decide whether they're prepared to make Resove more attractive to the massive community of amateur and semi-professional editors who mostly work in H264 as their source material.
The very limited effort BMD has put into refining the Linux Resolve after the first panel-free version (12.5.6) over the years, despite voluminous user feedback, DIY workarounds and what have you, should tell you how they feel about a massive community of amateurs.

What seemed to surprise them was people's eagerness to install Resolve on other distros. This steps out of their Tech Support's comfort zone. The fear that they'd be unable to advise a client because of a too exotic distro may tie into their insistence to stick with CentOS. So, strike one.

And when it ran, began the h264 import debate which rears its ugly head in regular intervals. Again, BMD is quite aware that it's a desired feature. Just like support for Intel graphics, Mesa, mics... After fixing the things they could (like system sound output), they left out the rest. Strike two.

As such, courting a larger user base is a recipe for an even bigger backlash until the underlying issues are fixed.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Florian Schmidt

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Good afternoon (at least in Europe) :)

A few months ago I switched from Windows 10 to Linux and everything is working great, except that the Linux version of DaVinci Resolve doesn't support h.264 and aac. All of the files I work with are mp4's and therefore encoded in h264/h265, which makes it impossible for to use it now.

Since Blackmagic support only handles tickets from people who actually spent money on their products (which I completely understand), I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any plans from Blackmagic to add support for these codecs to the Linux version of Resolve.

I also wouldn't mind to pay like 20-30€ for a "extended codec support addon", after all, I've been using this program for free for several years now. But I don't want to spend 300€ on the Studio version when I'm hardly even using the majoity of the features in the free version and hardly using Resolve at all, maybe one to two times a year for a video summary of a holiday or scout camp. It just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on something I don't use very often.

However I also don't want to "downgrade" to another program like e.g. Kdenlive, since from what I know Resolve seems to be by far the best free video editing software available. At this point I'm even considering trying to install the Windows version via Wine, but I really don't want to have to do this since it will probably take a lot of effort to get it to work.

Thanks for your answers
Florian

Eugenia Loli

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 1:51 am

Your best bet is to buy the software and get the codecs. You also get some really nice plugins too. So it's worth the price.

RCModelReviews

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 3:56 am

Or just transcode with ffmpeg.

Dieter Scheel

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 9:58 am

Florian Schmidt wrote:A few months ago I switched from Windows 10 to Linux and everything is working great, except that the Linux version of DaVinci Resolve doesn't support h.264 and aac. All of the files I work with are mp4's and therefore encoded in h264/h265, which makes it impossible for to use it now.

For WIndows you already paid for the h.264 codec license, that's why it works ootb. That is not the case for any Linux distribution since the Linux OS is FOSS and therefore free of charge. You may install 3rd party codecs and whatnot but that's a legal handgrenade if it comes to commercial projects you deliver with it.

Just buy the cheap license for the Studio version and you be done with it. Period. There is no other way if you don't want to transcode all your footage for editing.
Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 32 GB | i7 | RTX2070 8 GB (535.161.07) | 2 TB SSD | 48 TB NAS
Lenovo Legion | Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 16 GB | i5 | GTX1650 4 GB (535.161.07) | 1.25 TB SSD

lost_soul

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 11:05 pm

That isn't correct. The camera manufacturer pays the licence for when you shoot a video. That is why a number of manufacturers have their video features licensed for personal use only. There is no license required to ingest h.264. Exporting h.264 out of Resolve on Linux only works if you have an NVidia card that supports h.264 hardware encoding. If you are running an AMD card h.264 export isn't an option even in the studio version. BMD seems to have a hate on for software encoding. Cisco has paid the licence fee for h.264 on Linux so the BMD excuses don't really add up. It seems to be more about spite than any thing else at this point.

I am hoping BMD improves their attitude considerably with AV1. I would be more than happy to give MPEG-LA the ..!..
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro

Dieter Scheel

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 am

lost_soul wrote:There is no license required to ingest h.264.

You must have a license to "use" the patented h.264 codec - no matter if you encode, decode or transcode your footage. This is as far as I understand all those legal babble from their license agreements. This does not mean you always have to pay for it - afaik free-of-charge streaming needs a license but at no cost atm (see Wikipedia for more details about h.264). Complicated matter, isn't it?

lost_soul

PostFri Aug 21, 2020 9:24 pm

As a Canadian I appreciate the support from our German friends. The part I missed in my post is that if the encode or decode is done on the graphics card the graphics card manufacturer paid the fee there and passed it on. But I agree the whole thing is a mess in the US. No one else except India supports software patents but we all get hosed because of the US.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro

Florian Schmidt

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 11:46 am

Dieter Scheel wrote:
Florian Schmidt wrote:Just buy the cheap license for the Studio version and you be done with it.

Dude. I have no idea in which world you live, but 300€ is definitely not "cheap" and something you "just buy". I'm a student and I'm using this program once or twice a year for stuff that I don't make any money off of. I can't just spend 300€ on a program, especially when I'm hardly using it and when I do it's for fun.

Dieter Scheel

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 10:24 am

Florian Schmidt wrote:300€ on a program, especially when I'm hardly using it and when I do it's for fun.

First - I'm not your Dude. Second - then just transcode your footage before you import it into Resolve and stop whining about it. Third - 300 Euros is cheap compared to other professional software packages on the market. You are free to use Open-Source alternatives, though.

alex_zim

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 8:21 pm

DR Studio on Linux also doesn't support AAC. Videos exported in MP4/H.264 have no sound. Which sucks, as it's the only format that can be rendered with the NVidia encoder, 4-5 times faster than the normal render.

Lucius Snow

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 9:49 pm

alex_zim wrote:DR Studio on Linux also doesn't support AAC. Videos exported in MP4/H.264 have no sound. Which sucks

That sucks and this is ridiculous. You can export with ProRes on Linux but you must have mute video with the most popular codec on Internet.

deezid

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 11:18 pm

alex_zim wrote:DR Studio on Linux also doesn't support AAC. Videos exported in MP4/H.264 have no sound. Which sucks, as it's the only format that can be rendered with the NVidia encoder, 4-5 times faster than the normal render.

Rendering Mov with Nvenc all the time in both H265 and H264, works just fine and has PCM audio.

philmzo

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 3:13 pm

+1

Wikipedia:
"AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC as part of the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specifications.[4][5] Part of AAC, HE-AAC ("AAC+"), is part of MPEG-4 Audio and adopted into digital radio standards DAB+ and Digital Radio Mondiale, and mobile television standards DVB-H and ATSC-M/H."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

On a side note, AAC is the only available encoder in OBS on Linux
Basically, you can't edit right away your Resolve tutorials with Resolve!
You have to extract huge WAV, then sync, edit video, to finally render.
Size and render time is also an issue since 500MB+300MBWAV = 2.3GB H265 mp4

On the licence side:
"No licenses or payments are required for a user to stream or distribute content in AAC format.[48] This reason alone might have made AAC a more attractive format to distribute content than its predecessor MP3, particularly for streaming content (such as Internet radio) depending on the use case.

However, a patent license is[when?] required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs.[49] For this reason, free and open source software implementations such as FFmpeg and FAAC may be distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.) "

OK, but since there are existing libraries, would BlackMagic have to pay to call them?
Search for "AAC Decoder" in synaptic (Ubuntu) to see libraries.
If it's tied to the the developper, BM have already paid the licence (for Windows and Mac at least), right?
What about the existing libraries?
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve