Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Transition to Fusion/Resolve - Your Story

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rajiv Mudgal

Transition to Fusion/Resolve - Your Story

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 am

We are a small Studio with just three/actually two of us.
We relied heavily on 3DSMax/Messiah for modelling and animation and a combo of Shake/Aftereffects/Mocha/PFHoe and Smoke/FCP7 combo to get our editing and finishing job done.
4 years back we invested a lot in Blackmagic Hardware including Cameras a set of CinemaCamera and 2 sets of Pocket Cinema cameras and to our surprise it came with Resolve dongles.

And just around that time autodesk went in for a subscription model.

When we started working with Resolve, we realised how beautiful and intuitive it was...Resolve was true delight. But our transition to fusion was not easy esp when we had invested a lot on plugins. PFHoe was discontinued and we actually started to do camera solve in Mocha and to our surprise it worked most of the times.

4 years down the lane we are hooked to Fusion. Its a fantastic software. The learning curve was high but the Resolve and Fusion standalone Combo is a pair made in heaven.

Some of the work we did in Fusion and Resolve can be watched here: https://www.artstation.com/shashwatmudgal

Let me share some images from our recent work (Blender Fusion and Resolve)

1 Pudd_1.1.1.jpg
1 Pudd_1.1.1.jpg (625.7 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

2 Intro_1.1.2.jpg
2 Intro_1.1.2.jpg (526.15 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

3 Puddu_1.5.1.jpg
3 Puddu_1.5.1.jpg (433.2 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8500260/

Travis Schmiesing

Re: Transition to Fusion/Resolve - Your Story

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 7:16 am

I have only recently tried Resolve. I have been a Premiere user with moderate skillset for years but I have never had satisfying results with color grading directly in Premiere so I wanted to try Davicni Resolve for the Davinci features. It was easier for me to get what I was after in Davinci Resolve than it was in Premiere.

I typically have relatively simple Fusion comps, often with the end result only being a still. I was hoping that Fusion in Resolve would be easy for me to pick up but it is going to require a bit more time to understand how it works within Resolve. I'm not yet comfortable with my full Fusion comp living in Resolve, or if that is even a good idea.

Rajiv Mudgal

Re: Transition to Fusion/Resolve - Your Story

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 9:02 am

Travis Schmiesing wrote:I have only recently tried Resolve. ...I'm not yet comfortable with my full Fusion comp living in Resolve, or if that is even a good idea.

We use Fusion in Resolve for finishing purposes only but most heavy lifting is done in standalone.
We have created quite a few templates with complex node flow and now its more like this need this treatment so lets start with this template.
The rest is copy and paste of nodes. Lets say you need some Dust so we simply copy it from the template.
But I must admit that It took us sometime to understand and get our heads around Fusions inner workings.

We actually invested in Smoke as FCP 7 replacement but Smoke soon grew on us as a compositing and Grading system replacing Shake and Color and it also had nodes but was not as fine-grained as Fusion.
But it was playing with DeepPixel Volume fog and Optical Flow that cracked Fusion for us.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8500260/

Return to Fusion