Faulty SSD?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sigurd

Faulty SSD?

PostMon May 27, 2013 7:24 am

Got an OCZ Agility 4 480 GB for my BMDCC (Not on the list, I know). After two seconds of recording in ProRes/DNxHD, the rec indicator starts flashing (indicating the drive is almost full, which is absolutely not the case). RAW recording has a _lot_ of dropped frames.

If my disk was too slow, it would make sense for RAW, but ProRes? 185 mbit equals 23 MB/s, shouldn't this be easy for an SSD? Is this a faulty drive, or simply another case of "not on the list"? I tried loading and offloading the drive in windows, that works fine.

I installed the speed test software, which shows about 180 MB/s, and indicates the disk is fine at least for compressed recording. Just for fun, I tried changing the target drive to one of my local drives, any ideas how to change it back to the Camera? Do you guys do the speed test with usb to the camera?

sean mclennan

Re: Faulty SSD?

PostMon May 27, 2013 3:55 pm

1. you cannot test the "camera" over usb... to test the SSD, you remove it from the camera and use an external dock/connection, select the drive from the "select a drive" option in the Speed Test software. To change it back to your computer HD, just select them from the same option.

2. your SSD isn't on the list...for a reason. Why do you think it should/would work?

3. How is your drive formatted? What format? ExFAT? We definitely need more information about your process to see if the issue is your SSD or your process.

Sigurd

PostTue May 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks for your reply, Sean. Ordered a Sandisk Extreme today. Just wanted to check if I was missing out on something before bying a new drive.

sean mclennan

PostTue May 28, 2013 2:43 pm

on the plus side, your OCZ SSD will be a fantastic upgrade to your computer for editing BMCC footage :mrgreen:

Blaine Russom

PostWed May 29, 2013 3:08 am

Are you on a Mac? It may just need the trash bin to be cleared.. I had a similar space issue until I realized that the deleted clips were not deleted but still in the trash in :|

Sigurd

PostWed May 29, 2013 5:45 am

Sean: That will indeed work for realtime playback, which is absolutely not the case for server storage, which I use most. (Work/IT Department, not my call). :shock:

Blien: I'm running Windows (and hence, exFat).

Thanks anyway for helping, my Sandisk Extreme will arrive tomorrow :)

Return to Cinematography