Davinci resolve 16: Stuck on loading fairlight page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gamer doggo

Davinci resolve 16: Stuck on loading fairlight page

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 7:34 pm

For anyone wondering: yes I did check the previous forum for Davinci resolve 15, however, I tried the solutions but none of them seemed to work. It works the first time it boots and then I open the program again and I get stuck on the loading page. I been trying to fix this for 3 freaking hours and I am still having the issue. if anyone has any suggestions for what to do, I would be extremely grateful.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davinci resolve 16: Stuck on loading fairlight page

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 11:42 pm

Did you notice in all those forum posts you read, that the first thing we need to help with this sort of issue is a Resolve log file and your system info, and that the details for gathering all that are here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Mike Sauls

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:30 am

I'm having the same issue. Trying to install on a brand new machine. The actual install went as normal but the program hangs while loading the Fairlight page. I have been reading for several days and researching the forums but have not been able to fix it. I have in the last 2 weeks been able to open the program a few times but I have no idea why it suddenly decided to open. I have turned everything off and reinstalled the program multiple times. Reinstalled video drivers but it won't load. I even stepped back and installed 15 but the same issue happens. I have another desktop and laptop and have no problems. I have the Resolve Debug and DxDiag files both in a text file and word document but when trying to upload either one, it says the file extension is not supported. Can you help me Dwaine?
Mike Sauls

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 6:06 am

Mike, put then on dropbox and put the link here with a space in the path
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Mike Sauls

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Thanks, Peter this issue is a real stumper. The few times I uninstalled the program I used windows and another program. Even cleaned the registry. I tried to find every piece of the program and delete it. I unplugged all external drives and even tried in safe mode. I have tried both drivers that Nvidia offers and both have the same outcome. I also tried the onboard video in order to bypass the Geforce RTX 2070 but it still won't load. Needless to say, this is a powerful machine I'm using so it can't be that issue. Would appreciate any help you can give me. I want to give you a chance to see if we can figure out what's wrong and run additional test if you need to. If we can't I'll do a clean install and carefully load additional programs to see where it breaks.
Last edited by Mike Sauls on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sauls

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:44 am

Can you please run this - C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\CaptureLogs.bat
It'll generate a full log archive on your desktop. Please send that to us.
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Mike Sauls

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20190830_ 64441.zip
(35.96 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
Mike Sauls

Mike Sauls

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:33 pm

Several days ago I was reading about this same issue someone else had. They had overclocked the Asus motherboard. After returning to the default settings it seamed to fix his issue. I had also overclocked my motherboard but after returning to the default settings it did not fix my issue. This morning I decided to return to the overclock values I once had. I then started Davinci and it made it past the Fairlight page and loaded correctly. I also received a notice that there was an update for the program. I installed the update and the program opened normally. I'm including the new set of files for comparison. I'm glad it's opening but what scares me is that at this point we don't know why it had those issues. Working on a large project could be risky. Hope you can find out what may have caused the problem. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20190830_ 92410.zip
(52.66 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
Mike Sauls

Mike Sauls

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 6:00 pm

Did several reboots and now it won't open. Gets hung loading fairlights. I'm including the latest log.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20190830_125756.zip
(55.95 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
Mike Sauls

Timothy Clark

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 7:00 pm

gamer doggo wrote:For anyone wondering: yes I did check the previous forum for Davinci resolve 15, however, I tried the solutions but none of them seemed to work. It works the first time it boots and then I open the program again and I get stuck on the loading page. I been trying to fix this for 3 freaking hours and I am still having the issue. if anyone has any suggestions for what to do, I would be extremely grateful.

This was an old issue that they may have patched (I haven't seen it in a while after re-installs), but do you happen to have Red Giant Universe?
It used to be the pure amount of OFX plugins Resolve would have to load caused it to hang up on that section of the loading process. My only solution was to start Resolve multiple times with about a 1/4th of the plugins loaded at a time. After it built the list, it worked fine.

Just throwing it out there in case that's relevant to you.

Mike Sauls

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 9:27 pm

Thanks Tim, and no I have no plugins. This is a fresh install on a machine that's less than two weeks old. Like I said in my second to the last post, it loaded with no explanation other than I turned on my overclock setting again. I loaded and closed it a second time just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I then uploaded the new update that came out and again it loaded with no problem. Came back a few hours later and after one computer reboot, it hangs at the Fairlight page again. I've tried a dozen times to restart but it's stuck again. The tech support guys have my original logs along with a log I ran seconds after it loaded correctly then the 3rd log after it hung up again. Hopefully, they can dig into them and see what's happening. I was stoked to try this new computer out with Davinci. Thanks for your info.

System:
i9.....3.8gig overlocked to 4.5
64gig ram
Nvidia RTX 2070 8gig ram
2TB Samsung SSD
Mike Sauls

Y.Tamiya

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 2:08 am

It may be difficult to understand because you are using translation software.

I encountered the same problem when updating from 15.3.1 to 16.0.0 on Windows 10.
I noticed that fuscript.exe was blocked by Antivirus.
When fuscript.exe was removed from Antivirus, it started up safely.

Mike Sauls

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 pm

Thanks for the help. YES, I have made sure everything has been disabled when installing or while trying to run the program. At this time I'm still having the issue. Doesn't look like anyone from Blackmagic has any solutions. I did try booting in safe mode. It said that I needed to change some settings before allowing me to continue. It allowed me to do that without actually starting the program, which I thought was strange. I changed some GPU settings and some other ones "minor" just to shake the program up some. It would never allow me to completely open the program while in safe mode. After booting normally I could actually open and use the program normally. I have no idea why. I could use it, save the project and close the program. Then open the program normally again. I could do this eight or ten times with no problem. When I reboot the computer I could no longer open the program. It again would hang up while opening the Fairlight page. After playing with it for the last week the program has now stopped allowing me to change any settings after booting into safe mode and will not open at all. Next thing to try will be a complete wipe and do a clean install. Really a strange situation.
Mike Sauls

Mike Sauls

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 am

UPDATE: It appears for now that I may have found the problem. I was reading another post with the same issue. His solution was to turn off HyperV. After doing that Davinci 16 now loads correctly. Turn it back on and the problem returns. I wish Blackmagic could fix the issue. I hate turning off the HyperV because I need that to run Docker but at least I now know what is going on.
Mike Sauls

josemanuel52FOUR

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 10:45 am

I have the same problem and disabling Hyper-V did not solve.
I can't open the program :(

Mike Sauls

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 pm

OK, try disabling the game mode. You can find it by clicking...settings then game mode and uncheck everything under game bar, captures, game mode and xbox networking.
Mike Sauls

delusionintrusion

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 12:35 am

Frustratingly I have disabled Game Mode, the game bar, have tried disabling the firewall as a YouTuber recommended (something I don't like doing), and I have reinstalled four times now, each time deleting the Blackmagic folder in AppData and ensuring everything was completely uninstalled. I have tried installing both with and without the Fairlight component, and I am still stuck on this page.

I do notice when I install, there is a terminal which launches - I don't know what it's trying to do (it scrolls too fast) but I can tell it's nothing but errors, whatever it is trying to do.

It alarms me, the sheer number of potential fixes for this - enabling and disabling firewalls, uninstalling media viewers, turning on and off various other Windows features, Hyper-V (I am using Win10 home so this is one I couldn't do)...

Well, I tried to post my logs but the forum complains that I can't post URLs. Unsure how to provide them.

Thanks for having a look. Quite frustrating.

IsraEliteMedia

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 am

Woke up this morning, turned on the computer. Loaded DR 16.1.1. and.....

LOADING FAIRLIGHT

Davinci Resolve Studio will not open. Renaming OFX and VST folders did not help.

Actually, while you are at it, you can remove Fairlight from DR anyway because it's not worth the hard disk space it takes up on my c: drive.

EDIT: The last thing I did last night before closing Davinci Resolve was import a new Resolve database file supplied by Freelance Colorist Waqas Qazi. I imported his database file and looked at the media and the timelines, etc. Everything looked fine and was working fine. I closed the program and went to bed.

I am wondering if there is a way to find the specific Davinci Resolve database project and disable it temporarily to see if that somehow solves the problem. The bottom line is I CAN'T GET WORK DONE.
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Providing a Resolve log file would be helpful.
Dwaine Maggart

IsraEliteMedia

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:07 am

Thank you Dwayne. With the rise of Davinci Resolve, you have many new users even including professional users. People like myself who have edited for 20-30 years. That said, we don't know all the particular details yet, so providing "a log file" is not standard information. I could search that in the manual or you could have it ready to copy and paste the steps when you need it from a poster.

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

IsraEliteMedia

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:45 am

So I uninstalled the Fairlight Accelerator Utiltity and the problem goes away IMMEDIATELY. I feel like that was a "required" pre-checked option on the installation of DR but I could be wrong. Not sure what this utility is for or does but it is certainly a real suspect for this problem.

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 7:00 am

IsraEliteMedia wrote:Not sure what this utility is for or does
The Fairlight Accelerator Utility driver is only required when a Fairlight Accelerator PCIe card is present.

Likewise, the Fairlight Studio Utility is only required if a Fairlight Desktop Audio Editor panel or Fairlight Console is present.

IsraEliteMedia

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 6:16 am

It turns out, that uninstalling the Fairlight accellerator utitlity DOES NOT solve this problem. This morning, again, first thing when turning on the computer. Resolve won't open because of Fairlight page. When I tried to attach a log file as requested earlier by Duane, the error "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 1MiB.
Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Assuming you are on a Windows system:

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.
Dwaine Maggart

IsraEliteMedia

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Thank you Dwaine for the helpful reply. Here is the link you requested. Hope it is helpful.

Erik

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11QMpC ... wgrgPNwK4v
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

IsraEliteMedia

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 8:25 am

Dwayne, did you look at my logfile to see if you could detect a problem?
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 6:10 pm

I did, and it was odd because several of the expected sequential backup log files were missing from the LogArchive folder, which makes little sense.

I asked the dev team to parse the .dmp file, and nothing much helpful was in that.

So lets try a clean install, to see if there is something corrupt in one of the config files.

Uninstall Resolve using Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features.

Also uninstall any other Resolve related apps, such as Resolve Keyboard, Resolve Panels and Fairlight apps.

Don't uninstall PostgreSQL 9.5.

Rename folder C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve to C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve.bak

Rename folder C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve to C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve.bak

Now reinstall Resolve. Don't install any Fairlight related items.

Launch Resolve. What you should see if the onboarding video. Watch or skip that and do the Quick Setup.

Now does Resolve run? If not, send another Resolve log and Windows System Info .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

IsraEliteMedia

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 7:19 am

Thank you for the reply.

What is the purpose of the .bak files? Will they be used later?

Do I lose all of my workspaces, keyboard shortcuts, configurations?

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 7:19 pm

The purpose of the .bak files is primarily to restore your default Disk Database projects if this process gets Resolve running.

Config related files may be able to be restored, though if one of those is what's keeping Resolve from running, it might be easier just to recreate them.
Dwaine Maggart

Brandon Fowler

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 9:10 pm

I had this problem for the first time today also. I uninstalled Fairlight Accelerator as suggested in this thread, but no luck. Still got stuck.

Then I tried to think what I may have changed... The only thing I did since I last successfully ran Resolve that could have an effect was install the new Film Convert Nitrate. I checked Add/Remove Programs and noticed that there were a half dozen Film Convert OFX installs for each update going back years. I uninstalled all but the latest Nitrate, rebooted my computer, and...

Resolve opens without a problem now! Hopefully this helps someone else out there.

Brandon Fowler

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Well, spoke too soon. Freezing on loading Fairlight again. Stuck.

Brandon Fowler

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:06 am

And today it deicides to work. The only difference is an NVIDIA Studio Driver upgrade and reboot. No idea if that had anything to do with it. I hope this but gets sorted out with the next release.

Graham Morris

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 5:02 pm

Because this is an intermittent problem, lots of people seem to be posting solutions which may just be working by luck. Currently I have managed to cure the problem on my machine by uninstalling the COMODO firewall software (not switching it off, but uninstalling it - that's important).

But who knows if it will work tomorrow?

Graham Morris

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 7:45 pm

I wish I hadn't posted that last message because - it's broken again! Worked happily all Saturday but couldn't get it to work at all on Sunday or today.

(Warning: Developerspeak.) From what I can see with Process Explorer, it looks like a deadlock in Resolve.exe, with at least one thread waiting on a critical section. I got a process dump, but it's 2 GB in size so I can't really email it to anybody.

Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up

antwtna

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi, I have the same problem and here are my logs after a clean re-install:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-p6pP ... FG96e_XvhE

More details:

I have been using Resolve 16 for a month, now it won't get past the splash screen.
I tried to uninstall cleanly, removing every appdata folder possible after copying it in a backup, I reinstalled Davinci Resolve 16.1.1 on my Win10 PC, I get the initial tour, initial configuration and then the splash screen and nothing else.
In the task manager I see the Davinci Resolve task running.

I hope you can help me get back to editing, thanks :)

antwtna

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 12:47 am

I have the same issue with 16.1.2, I did remove everything from the previous version, restarted windows 10, and then installed the 16.1.2.
Same exact behaviour, the splash screen says loading..., and then no Davinci appears, while the task is present in the task manager. :( :(

Here are the new logs, hoping these can help you:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEwbXo ... sp=sharing

Best regards

Graham Morris

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 3:04 pm

I've now upgraded to version 16.1.2.026 and the problem seems to have gone away. Hurray!

(hope it lasts)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 10:45 pm

@Angelo: please send a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

IsraEliteMedia

PostWed Dec 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Dwayne,

I finally got around to doing the uninstall to try and solve this problem. I followed your instructions exactly but when I open Davinci Resolve now, NONE of my projects are there anymore. This is my first time to uninstall and reinstall the software as I am new user. I am really hopeful there is a way to recover my massive number of projects! Shouldn't they just be there?!

Here are your instructions that I followed. This is nerve-wracking!
So lets try a clean install, to see if there is something corrupt in one of the config files.

Uninstall Resolve using Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features.

Also uninstall any other Resolve related apps, such as Resolve Keyboard, Resolve Panels and Fairlight apps.

Don't uninstall PostgreSQL 9.5.

Rename folder C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve to C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve.bak

Rename folder C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve to C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve.bak

Now reinstall Resolve. Don't install any Fairlight related items.

Launch Resolve. What you should see if the onboarding video. Watch or skip that and do the Quick Setup.
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

IsraEliteMedia

PostThu Dec 26, 2019 6:40 am

I will try to properly relate the solution I have found from a Facebook user group on Davinci Resolve.

1) Step 1 uninstall Davinci Resolve
2) Delete (from the newly installed Davinci Resolve attempt) the 2 Davinci Resolve folders
3) Rename the Davinci Resolve.bak files (what I did before the fresh install) back to just Davinci Resolve.
4) Install Davinci Resolve again

When the program opens, all my projects, workspaces, etc. were there and working normally.

Whew!

Regarding the stuck on "Fairlight" page problem, only time will tell if it is really repaired. It tends to come back after the computer has been turned off overnight. So only with time over several days will I gain confidence that this super annoying problem is gone.
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

antwtna

PostThu Dec 26, 2019 10:10 am

Hi guys,

just an update on my issue, I have solved it.
I found that I had an installation of python 2.7 that had been corrupted installing spyder with Anaconda, I uninstalled python 2.7 and then Resolve started working again.

Graham Morris

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:31 pm

Unfortunately my setup is not working again. I confess I'm using Windows 7, but I would upgrade to 10 if I thought it would get Resolve working again - but I've no confidence in that.

I was wondering, in view of how common this problem is, if development is actually working on it?

Graham Morris

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 pm

I seem to have fixed the problem on my system. Hope this helps someone else.

The culprit on my system is the Intel Technology Access Service. This program was pre-installed on my machine and it's not altogether clear what it does (other than break Resolve). At startup Resolve attempts to communicate with fuscript.exe on TCP port 1144 (this is a local IP connection, not on the internet). Unfortunately Intel Technology Access Service uses this port and resolve hangs trying to get fuscript.exe working.

I see that Fusion script is perfectly entitled to use this port as it's registered with the IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority).

Fix is to uninstall Intel Technology Access Service (or at least disable the services begining "Intel(R)". I would guess that other solutions (installing or uninstalling things) may appear to work for a short time if the configuration change causes ITAS to be busy doing something else.

If this works for anyone else it would be nice if they could reply here.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 pm

That's a great catch Graham, thanks!

From Google:

The Intel Technology Access service is a part of Intel Online Connect Access. Intel uses the process to provide a safe and secure way of making fingerprint touch payments. Basically, the process is related to your Laptop's fingerprint access and includes a built-in two factory authentication system for security.

So I would guess any systems that have fingerprint readers might have this running.
Dwaine Maggart

Graham Morris

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 7:35 am

Since my computer isn't a laptop, I have no problem here.

I suspect from its logs that ITAS is doing some spying (sorry telemetry) so I'm not missing it!

georgeou

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 5:54 am

I uninstalled Davinci Resolve 16, renamed the folders to bak, and reinstalled Resolve 16 with default settings. The two Fairlight options were unchecked. I still have the same problem being stuck on Fairlight!

I have also attached the logs.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200120_213022.zip
(343.39 KiB) Downloaded 321 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 am

Please provide a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Graham Morris

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 9:30 am

To see if the problem is due to a conflicting TCP port (as it was for me), open up a powershell window with elevated privileges, and, before running Resolve, enter:
Code: Select all
Get-NetTCPConnection | Where-Object { $_.State -eq "Listen" -and $_.LocalPort -eq 1144 } | ForEach-Object { (get-process -id $_.OwningProcess).Description }

If there is something which is interfering with Resolve, this will produce the description of the program causing the problem. If this isn't the problem, it will produce nothing. (This requires Windows 10 btw).

IsraEliteMedia

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 4:55 am

I have an important update on this ongoing problem that I have had for the last 6 months or so. After following the advice of Dwayne of uninstalling and starting over with DR, I realized my problem was not solved. In fact, it came back stronger than ever recently as I couldn't get DR to open at all.

I have since learned how to avoid the problem and I know what the problem is connected with.

It is connected with video display and Fairlight. In my case, I have a four monitor setup and if I connect even the third monitor, DR Fairlight will hang EVERYTIME. If I unplug the third monitor from the back of the GPU, DR Fairlight will load properly EVERYTIME.

I suspect there is a bug in the video playback display portion of Fairlight that causes it to hang on systems with multiple monitor setups. Even if this isn't correct, the above repeatable bug is solid.

When you combine this Fairlight problem with the other recently posted, audio popping on playback in DR, it is easy to see that whoever is running the audio department at DR needs to get some help soon.

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 6:27 am

It's not a Fairlight issue. That just happens to be the area the app hangs in.

The logs and NFO you sent earlier didn't show 4 displays. Are they all connected to the 1080Ti card?

If you were of a mind to, we'd like to see the NFO and Resolve logs from a launch failure with the 4 displays connected.
Dwaine Maggart
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve