BMCC holds op perfectly in backlit scenes

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jeroenvanderpoel

BMCC holds op perfectly in backlit scenes

PostTue May 28, 2013 7:58 am

If you know how to grade, and how to extract the highlights this camera can create powerfull images..
I extracted the highlights (sky and sun), so i could push up the forground and lift my white point..
Hope you like the look, of course the cinematography is a bit boring, but thats the concept, one take, one band one mic.

Josh Glover

Re: BMCC holds op perfectly in backlit scenes

PostTue May 28, 2013 3:06 pm

I guess I'm glad I don't "know how to grade" then. I do not enjoy how this looks.

jeroenvanderpoel

PostTue May 28, 2013 6:11 pm

what is properly grading then in your opinion?

Jason Dunphy

PostTue May 28, 2013 11:09 pm

jeroenvanderpoel wrote:what is properly grading then in your opinion?

Well, what do you mean by properly graded? Were you going for a natural/real look? Or where you going for that color cast? It's definitely not neutral but if you were going for that look then you hit it.

I thought it was ok, kind of orangish, but again, if you were going for that. Do you know how to use the scopes? Sorry, if that question seems like I'm talking down to you, not trying to. Just trying to get an idea of what you were going for?

Josh Glover

PostWed May 29, 2013 1:12 am

That is just it. There is no real definition of proper grading since so much of it is personal or client preference. But your post made it sound like you were impressed at how well you could pull the information in this situation. I was expecting something a little more accurate and less DSLR-h.264 looking. This looks like you under exposed to save highlights and gave it a colour cast to cover the colour information that you could not recover.

The one thing I have discovered from playing with my BMCC is that I can bring back colour and detail in situations like this and make it look natural in ways a DSLR never has before. Either way I do not like how it looks and it is just personal preference. Post a DNG and let us play?

metaljesus

PostWed May 29, 2013 1:46 am

Nice work Jeroen!

jeroenvanderpoel

PostWed May 29, 2013 7:10 am

Of course the youtube compression doesnt do any good to the shot footage...
I was aiming for a slightly unnatural orangish look, and I know for sure that with this extreme baclit scene that I never could have shot this footage with a dslr, the highlights on their faces still hold up pretty well.
I didnt wanted to have the foreground appear as a midtone, but there is no underexposed or over exposed tones in this video (only the sun is overexposed).
I changed the gamma in the foreground to create this more subtle silhouet which I like.
I first rendered the dng out in resolve, with film lut applied to it. Then In after effects I graded it, in after effects I had an adjustment layer with a extracter (it keys out highlights and shadows), I always put it (when working while grading on 8 bit), the in point on 2 and out point on 253, zo I can see whenever someone falls in overexposure, It may look dark, but it still holds up all theinformation, and I love that look, I could have graded it in a more natural look, and today I will post a dng, so I can see what you guys can do with it.. Thanks for all the replies, and yes: of course grading is a matter of taste... In a film its about matching shots together, and creating a certain look, so this one is real easy because there's no need to match shots up, because its one shot..

jeroenvanderpoel

PostWed May 29, 2013 7:28 am

Here it is, due to harddisk space I always erase the dng and leave the dpx.
In resolve I rendered the dng out with a kelvin of 5800 applied to it and a color offset of+22 (didnt had a ir cut filter so it needs this offset), the dpx is 16 bit, and should hold up all the information pretty well!
Next time if I will post something I will make sure i keep some dng's because for some of you you might even get better results with that... I added a graded tiff as well as a reference..
DOWNLOAD:
http://we.tl/bpn8uujAqs

Dennis Nomer

PostWed May 29, 2013 8:03 am

I think you did pretty well for what you attempted. It is ballsy to shoot backlit people with the sun actually in the shot! I personally would have put some bounce on them, since they are the subject, and it would give them a more 'rounded' glow, IMO, but I see what you are doing. You are right that other cameras would have just ruined this shot, due to extreme light levels involved and the fact that your subject is not much lit from the camera side. You are right that the highlights, both on the hair and skin, look fine, and that would not be true with other cameras.
Dennis Nomer

jeroenvanderpoel

PostWed May 29, 2013 8:34 am

actually there's a small lasto light suilver bounce on the subject, but as ive said, these films are made in ten minutes, and the reason I posted this is not because of the beautifull art direction or cinematography, but just the fact that it holds up so nice with such a strong backlight. And the fact that you can easily key out the highlights and leave them like they where, so you can push the foreground.. It hasnt got noise (although youtube always ruins blacks), and I was quiet amazed with it! Check out the provide link for dwonload, would love to see what you can do with it. It's always great to exchange gradings, to inspire each other to get better!

Blaine Russom

PostWed May 29, 2013 4:26 pm

It's not bad, I like the look! I agree about adding a reflector, but it's very nice image.. :)

Josh Glover

PostWed May 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Played a little with the files you uploaded. Not sure if you needed to spend all that time with extracting and separate layers. I just did a quick play in Resolve and ended up with about the same DR you had but with a less crunchy image and a bit more colour info. Still gave it a warm cast like magic hour sun but not so much that it became monotone. The first is the original, the second mine, the third yours:

But yeah, based on how you exposed there was not much to bring back or up. This is an example of how the BMC has impressed me; over exposed so I have detail in all the shadows, then bring it back down so I have a large dynamic range. Again, this is just a quick edit of a frame.

Some other cameras would have done ok in this situation. Especially with the reflector which I had a feeling you had going on. Check out this little test video I did with a GH3, without reflectors. Same type of conditions. By the water, backlit with sun in the frame. Obviously the extreme highlights were lost like your shot but the shadows still have detail. I don't really grade my stuff too much. But I was impressed with
the DR here:

Return to Cinematography