Confused About Lenses for BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

selym

Confused About Lenses for BMPCC

PostMon May 27, 2013 8:56 am

I'm planning on making a camera purchase this year, but so far the couple of video cameras I've researched had integrated lenses that were not interchangeable (example: Panasonic AG-AC130)

Now that I've started reading up on the new BM Pocket Cinema Camera, I'm really thinking of building upon that instead, but I know very little about lenses. If I go this route when the camera becomes available, I'd like to start with a basic set of three lenses; normal, wide angle, and perhaps a macro.

For someone like me who doesn't already have a collection of lenses, would it just make sense to only purchase standard micro four thirds lenses for now, or is there a benefit to buying a specific adapter for a different type of lens?

I'm just trying to do some recon on the costs of an entire set up before I proceed, but I need some help in the lens department first. I'm hoping someone can help me understand this part of it a little bit.

Thank you very much!

Christine Peterson

Re: Confused About Lenses for BMPCC

PostTue May 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Moved to Cinematography...
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Mac Jaeger

PostTue May 28, 2013 11:10 pm

From what we know now the hard part is getting a wide lens, due to the cameras crop factor of about 2.8x in relation to full format. There are a great number of good lenses available for mft, but only a few below 12 mm, and these are expensive, like the panasonic 7-14 (900€) or olympus 9-18 (500€). Your camera might be cheaper then the lenses...

Rex Orwell

PostTue May 28, 2013 11:51 pm

Have a look at this guide Alan Besedin has done it should help you:

http://www.blackmagicuser.net/topic/441 ... era-bmpcc/

Return to Cinematography