Media Offline on videos

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SompsBradley

Media Offline on videos

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 3:02 am

I downloaded this for the first time today so I believe its the most recent build. I've done a lot of troubleshooting, moving the files to different disks including the main internal drive. Same problem. My device recorded in H.264 and I get "Media Offline " just as other people get. I tried to put several clips together and 3 out of the 6 had that in spots most of the way through. It pops up "Media Offline" for a second then has a green hue over the video and then kind of pixelates the green back to the normal color. The clips are about 5 minutes long. A couple are shorter. I tried starting a new project and moved the clips to my local HD and tried again. Keeps getting the same thing. I bring up HitFilm and load the clips into it and do the same edits. All basic in-out edits. Nothing fancy on either platform. HitFilm has absolutely no problem with it. All the settings are exactly the same in both. Well, as far as it can be with 2 different platforms. I searched on this issue and it seems like it goes back several versions and the common answer is "Maybe your drive is disconnecting". I'm also using free version 16.0.0.060 on a Mac with 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, AMD FirePro D500 3 GB video card, 1 TB HD. HitFilm having no issue vs the issue happening with different clips. I'm pretty sure it's in the software. If there are settings that need to be changed, I'll be happy to try that if anyone can relate to this.

Planet_Earth

Re: Media Offline on videos

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 4:03 pm

I've been having this same issue with no luck solving it either.

I didn't have this issue until I did a fresh install on my laptop to help improve performance. The irony.
Version of DaVinci Resolve: Free - 17.1.1 Build 9
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
RAM: 32 Gigs
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce TRX 2070 SUPER with 14 Gbps (27.21.14.6089)
Type of Storage Drive: Solid State

Charles Bennett

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 pm

You cannot compare Hitfilm to Resolve, they are very different. Make sure your GPU driver is up to date as Resolve uses the GPU for picture processing.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

SompsBradley

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Before posting, I make sure everything is updated. The only thing I haven't updated is OS from 10.14.5 to 10.14.6 but this has been an issue a lot longer than this particular update has been around. I understand that the two aren't really comparable, but still, the fact remains, you want people using Resolve instead of another editor. The bugs have to be addressed instead of avoided like this one seems to be. I see a lot of people having the same complaint and always the same thing, it's assumed that it's a problem on the user's side. What I was comparing was the fact that the media is reported to be offline and many of the responses for this error have been to make sure that the media is available. The comparison that I was making was one software clearly sees the media while the other one says it doesn't. At that point, you can't assume that the media is not available. I do apologize. I thought that comparison would be obvious being that the error is "Media Offline".

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 11:44 pm

Can you provide a link to a clip that's not working?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

SompsBradley

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:07 am

being that I'm very new to Resolve, I'm guessing there must be a cloud editing or something if you are wanting a link. This is set up on my home computer using my internal storage, so I wouldn't know how to give you a link for that Also, it's personal footage that I don't want to share with the world. There are a lot of people having this issue and it seems to always be dismissed, I would think that would lead to fewer people feeling great about reporting it due to the fact they might feel it's a waste of time. Being that it has happened to me twice since getting the software just a few days ago, I'm sure that I can re-create it with footage I would be willing to share. All footage is H.264. Some shot at 24 fps, some at 29.9 and some at 60. If one program is seeing the files just fine, why wouldn't another being that they are all in proper parameters?

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 9:57 am

They need a clip showing that behavior to try and find the bug. I can work with every H.264 file from my cameras just fine, so there must be subtle differences between sources. Why don’t you shoot some test, check if it has that problem and put it on Dropbox?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Puddinhead

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm

My BM Ursa Broadcast shooting in HD at 30p I suspected was dropping films within camera. Turned out problem was within DRS 16 beta following a crash the BM files were corrupted. So had to re dub files again into DRS beta 16. However I changed to the non beta release of 16.

Patrick
w7 DRS 16

Return to DaVinci Resolve