Multicam: How to Switch Angles using shortcut

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ozmorphasis

Multicam: How to Switch Angles using shortcut

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:22 pm

In premiere I can click on any clip in my cut up multicam edit and by pressing a number, it switches that clip to the corresponding "angle". In Resolve, I am only able to do this by right clicking on the clip and going to a drop down menu to select the angle. That is insanely slow. Is there a shortcut for this that I am missing?

TIA

ozmorphasis

Re: Multicam: How to Switch Angles using shortcut

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:39 pm

I am also able to toggle up or down through all of the angles by holding down ctrl-shft and using the left-right arrow keys. This is certainly better than the drop down menu using the mouse, but still looking for a way to directly select the angle I want.

ozmorphasis

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Hmm,

Now I'm able to do it using Alt + #

Strange that I've been trying to do that over and over and couldn't get it to work and now it suddenly works. Is there a setting that I needed to have toggled in order to enable that? I don't get why it suddenly works now.

Forgive all the newbness! Trying to keep a multicam edit in Resolve since it's my first time shooting one using all BRAW.

Michael_Andreas

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:56 pm

That's not what I had to do for my multicam edits. If you configure the source window for multicam, you get a thumbnail for each camera and click on the thumbnail to switch angles. It's also possible to configure so that only the video and not the audio is switched.

If you'll Read The Fine Manual (accessible via the Help dropdown) searching on "multicam" should explain how.

ozmorphasis

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 3:50 am

Michael_Andreas wrote:That's not what I had to do for my multicam edits. If you configure the source window for multicam, you get a thumbnail for each camera and click on the thumbnail to switch angles. It's also possible to configure so that only the video and not the audio is switched.

If you'll Read The Fine Manual (accessible via the Help dropdown) searching on "multicam" should explain how.

Clicking on the thumbnails is fine for cutting while playing, or while stopped. However, after doing all of that, I want to be able to go back and change those clips to other angles. Clicking on the thumbnails does not do this, unless I'm doing it wrong.

...and I did read the entire section on multicam in the manual. I love Resolve. I love Blackmagic. However, the manual is not well-written IMHO.

Michael_Andreas

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 4:13 am

Text search the PDF for "editing multicam clips in the timeline"

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 4:59 am

Omid,

Assuming you're talking about the Edit page, the app menus (Trim > Multicam Cut and Trim > Multicam Switch) do not apply unless you are in multicam edit mode. The hotkeys you describe may then apply to other functions (by default video track destination).

To edit a multicam, doubleclick the multicam edit on the timeline b. switch the viewer (bottom left) to Multicam mode. If you're in doubt, check the application menus above - they should be enabled and show the familiar hotkeys.

Resolve allows you to preview multicams from the media pool and the edit page in the same angle layout. This may be the reason for confusion.

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am

i have put the multicam view under a shortcut. so when i want to change an angle, i have to select the clip, press the shortcut, then change the angle. still not ideal, but it works. have to say that premiere handles multicam clips much more efficient.

Borges

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 4:41 pm

I don't know if it cover exactly your needs, but here goes my contribution.

I had an issue that was that I couldn't use the keyboard to switch angles while cutting in edit page, only the mouse. What make nuts :shock: is that once it works fine using key 1 and key 2 from the normal pad (not number pad) and suddenly stop working.

After some time I discover what happened in my case: the playhead in the timeline was configure (I did it :lol: ) to select the clip on which it is over and this and this disabled that when I switched to another camera, a cut was applied to the timeline. As I understood, this activates the timeline window and not the multicam source.

So, check if it is your case. If so, on the main top bar, expand the [Timeline] menu and unmark [Selections Follows Playhead], then try again. Now woks like charm, as I intend.

For me, this behavior of the software seems to me quite confusing

I hope it was helpful.

Best regards.

okiewardoyo

PostSat May 07, 2022 7:53 am

Anybody here knows the shortcut for change Camera Angle?
This user asking the shortcut and no body knows. Righcliking using mouse then choose camera angle is not efficient.
Using source monitor by clicking video not just change the angle but also cut the clip.
Giving pdf manual is not a eficient solution. Anyone?
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Andy Mees

PostSat May 07, 2022 8:02 am

Respectfully Okie, you could just type 'Angle' into the Keyboard Customization window and see for yourself what shortcuts are mapped/available... sometimes practicing a little bit of self reliance is worth the trouble.

[FYI default behaviour is standard keyboard 1 - 9 (not numpad) for cut, and alt 1 - alt 9 for switch]
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

okiewardoyo

PostSat May 07, 2022 8:54 am

Thanks so much andy, i'm setting it in shortcut panel now.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.

okiewardoyo

PostSat May 07, 2022 9:02 am

Resolve has set the default for Multicam Camera Angle there! OMG, my fault, why i never found this shortcut on google?
This discussion should be labeled as 'SOLVED' so it will help another people.
Attachments
Keyboard Shortcut.jpg
Keyboard shortcut for Camera Angle
Keyboard Shortcut.jpg (60.96 KiB) Viewed 12771 times

Andrew Findlay

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 6:49 pm

I have found a simpler way is to map "next angle" to a handy key (and maybe "previous angle" to the same key but with alt) is much faster to toggle through the cameras. The same key also changes the angle in the timeline between two edits subsequently, without adding more edits.

My big problem with DaVinci Multicam is that the "clip color" doesn't show in the timeline (unlike if you edit a normal non-multicam clip into the timeline). This is SO frustrating, as you can't see at a glance which cameras have been used, and how often, in a sequence - it's just a blue timeline with a lot of cuts!

It was such an issue that I gave up and edited my multicam sequence in Avid - where it has been possible to have clip colours since forever. It was a joy to have a multi-coloured timeline sequence and I could see immediately where each camera appeared in the timeline. If there's one thing that could easily be implemented in a future update of DaVinci, I would vote for this feature.

I would also recommend being able to see the clip color in list view in the edit media pool - rather than just a tiny coloured spot in frame view. And also in the multicam clip source window. It would make multicam editing in DaVinci much more practical.

Return to DaVinci Resolve